• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y mechanical changes interview

Dawg

From the sound of it, 100% for participating Pokemon, 50% for non-combatants.

So if you manage to switch between your five weaker pokemon and then end up defeating the enemy with your strongest pokemon, does everyone get 100%?

Berordn

So if you manage to switch between your five weaker pokemon and then end up defeating the enemy with your strongest pokemon, does everyone get 100%?

I edited my post with an alternate possibility:

Or it just adds +50% XP to every Pokemon. I.E. Pokemon A and B fight and get 100%, Pokemon C doesn't and gets 50%; Pokemon A, B and C fight and get 83%.

Gonna have to see it in action to know for sure.

Not really sure at this point.

zroid

Banned
Wow, they made Exp All really OP :lol

That's cool, but it's just going to encourage pretty much never not using it.

Wiseblade

EXP All is the worst thing I've heard about generation VI and sets a worrying trend of GF back pedalling on changes that support the competitive scene/ev training.

Giving EXP for catches doesn't help either.

Orayn

As someone who gave up on the series after the glacial pacing of Gen IV, fast text and Exp All both sound wonderful. Hopefully the world design is less tedious and samey as well.

Yes, I know Gen V was better about all those things, but I missed the boat and decided to wait for the next one.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
As someone who gave up on the series after the glacial pacing of Gen IV, fast text and Exp All both sound wonderful. Hopefully the world design is less tedious and samey as well.

Yes, I know Gen V was better about all those things, but I missed the boat and decided to wait for the next one.

You can still catch a cruise!

EXP All is the worst thing I've heard about generation VI and sets a worrying trend of GF back pedalling on changes that support the competitive scene/ev training.

You can opt not to use it.

789shadow

Banned

The fuck are you talking about? Just don't use it.

Soloing the single player game with a single overleveled Pokemon as opposed to spreading around your EXP to make a balanced team has always been the optimal strat, so this is probably gonna make it easier to have backup Pokemon.

EDIT: Oh, and IMO it's not that much different from how a lot of RPGs handle giving EXP to characters not in your active party, where it's usually half of what the active participants are getting so that if you need to pick them up and use them, they aren't too weak.

Infinite

Don't understand this post. You can not use it if you have to come up with imaginary detriments to using it

Akai XIII

Surely it would make it easier, Exp Share gives the holder the same EVs. With this you might be able to EV train five pokemon at the same time...

Berordn

How does the Exp All have anything to do with competitive at all?

EXP Share gives EVs as well as XP to the Pokemon holding it. If new EXP All works the same way that would mess with someone training a bunch of 'mons at once aiming for different builds.

Otoh it might not transfer EVs anymore and several of the changes they're making aim to add some transparency to the process so I can't say I understand getting up in arms about it yet. I don't understand getting upset about XP from captures either.

Infinite

EXP Share gives EVs as well as XP to the Pokemon holding it. If new EXP All works the same way that would mess with someone training a bunch of 'mons at once aiming for different builds.

Otoh it might not transfer EVs anymore and several of the changes they're making aim to add some transparency to the process so I can't say I understand getting up in arms about it yet. I don't understand getting upset about XP from captures either.

Since when does any exp share item also gives EVs to the benched Pokemon?

It's a held item now though. So you only mess EVs up if you mess up.

Forkball

"We want mega evolutions to be balanced."

MEGA GARCHOMP

EXP all sounds great though. Really cuts down on the hassle of evolving Pokemon for Pokedex purposes, especially since they've been adding more Pokemon with ridiculously high evolution levels. With EXP all and super training, it seems like they want it to be easier to get into competitive battling.

qq more

Game Freak, continue with these changes, please. This reaction... :lol

PK Gaming

8. The standard selection process for Pokémon to be Mega-Evolvable is based on three points: visual looks, popularity and game balance.
9. The power-up of Mega-Evolved Pokemon is meant to elevate them to the class of legendary Pokémon, hence the restriction of only one Pokémon being allowed to hold a Mega Stone during battles.

Very cool

Megaevolutions are going to change the way Pokemon is played forever.

BRING IT ON

Forkball

One thing I'd like to see them address is natures. Everyone talks about EVs and stuff, but having the right nature has a huge effect on your Pokemon. Having a Pokemon like Jolteon, with a nature that causes its speed to not grow as quickly, is pretty much useless. The worst part is that there is no way to select natures unless you do the Ditto breeding trick with the everstone, and you need a lot of different Dittos to make it work. Ever since Gen IV, I've had to waste time restarting my game to get a nature for my starter that doesn't screw me. They need to make them selectable or at least changeable some how. That would help tremendously.

It's too early to say exactly how it'll affect EV gain, since the game isn't out yet - it may just work like Exp. Share did in G5 w/ a team effect instead of participant effect.

Same with catch XP - no one knows the mechanics behind it. It will be tested along with everything else.

Infinite

It's really dumb to start EV training before you complete beat the elite 4 IMO. The only thing I make sure of is that I have a female starter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One thing I'd like to see them address is natures. Everyone talks about EVs and stuff, but having the right nature has a huge effect on your Pokemon. Having a Pokemon like Jolteon, with a nature that causes its speed to not grow as quickly, is pretty much useless. The worst part is that there is no way to select natures unless you do the Ditto breeding trick with the everstone, and you need a lot of different Dittos to make it work. Ever since Gen IV, I've had to waste time restarting my game to get a nature for my starter that doesn't screw me. They need to make them selectable or at least changeable some how. That would help tremendously.

All you need to do now is put in the twenty minutes it would take to get a set of good dittos.

One Jolly and one Timid will save you a ton of time. Then Modest and Adamant. Then Naive, and finally the defensive ones.

If you've got a wide variety of synchronize pokemon this can take even less time.

Forkball

All you need to do now is put in the twenty minutes it would take to get a set of good dittos.

One Jolly and one Timid will save you a ton of time. Then Modest and Adamant. Then Naive, and finally the defensive ones.

If you've got a wide variety of synchronize pokemon this can take even less time.

You know what's better than 20 minutes? ZERO MINUTES. I would just have to waste time catching Dittos that may or may not be useful. I have quite a few Dittos on my BW game that I plan to transfer to XY, but that won't be until Dec/January and I'm sure there will be some more I need if I decide to make a competitive team.

My point is, the nature system has a huge effect on your Pokemon and isn't very transparent in the game. They are taking great lengths to make this game more accessible and streamlined. Hello, they are actually acknowledging EVs in the game and made a whole mode based around it. They should give natures a similar treatment.

Note that this is best done in either HGSS or Emerald, where there are areas with extremely high Ditto encounter rates.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Natures are very transparent and you need to make a one time investment in time to get the most out of them instead of complaining about how random they are.

You know what's better than 20 minutes? ZERO MINUTES. I would just have to waste time catching Dittos that may or may not be useful. I have quite a few Dittos on my BW game that I plan to transfer to XY, but that won't be until Dec/January and I'm sure there will be some more I need if I decide to make a competitive team.

My point is, the nature system has a huge effect on your Pokemon and isn't very transparent in the game. They are taking great lengths to make this game more accessible and streamlined. Hello, they are actually acknowledging EVs in the game and made a whole mode based around it. They should give natures a similar treatment.
They highlight the +'s and -'s of the Pokemon's nature on the stat screen... Also, you're the only person I have ever seen actually complain about natures in a serious way like this...

Shengar

What is this trick? Is there a link to elaborate more on this?

While they're at it, they might as well just let you enter in a pokemon name and the game generates the perfect moveset, stats, abilities and natures, right?

The game TELLS you what nature your pokemon is and what stats it affects right in the stat screen. It's extremely apparent

IIRC, if a pokemon is holding an everstone their nature is passed down 50% of the time. Dittos bred with any pokemon make that species so you find a Ditto with the nature you want and use it when breeding

First, you go to either Route 47 on HGSS and surf to a hidden patch of grass or you go to the Desert Underpass post-E4 in Emerald (You can also catch Ditto in Gen V but the encounter rate's way lower). Then, you catch a ton of Ditto.

Then you just give the Ditto with the right nature the Everstone. In Emerald through BW1 there's a 50% chance of the baby having that nature. In BW2 the odds jump to 100%. So, if you can breed in BW2 you should because you save a lot of time.

EDIT: In Emerald through Pt you can also do the nature thing with female Pokemon when not breeding with Ditto. After HGSS you can do it with either parent.

Natures only matter for competive battling. In-game EVs/IVs/Natures make no difference.

catching a bunch of dittos can be a pain, but once you do, using them to breed natures is really simple.

If you plan to do competive battling, you should catch a bunch of dittos anyway since it's a good way to get all the IVs.

Also, a pokemon with synchronize is usually made available really early in the game. And if a pokemon with synchronize is leading your party the wild pokemon it encounters have a 50% chance of having the same nature.

So again, catching a bunch of copies of this pokemon might be a pain, but once you do it makes catching a pokemon with the right nature really simple, even faster than breeding.

I'd have preferred something closer to Gen 1's XP All in mechanics, mainly for game balance, but then I dislike grinding in Pokemon so if it's going to scale anything like Black and White did then I'll happily take the current XP Share.
My ideal one would have divided the experience evenly, then rounded up 1 (to account for lost experience) and then given out as a blanket "Your Pokemon gained X Experience!"
That's what I've always wanted. Screw this Exp Share crap.

Infinite

Natures only matter for competive battling. In-game EVs/IVs/Natures make no difference.

catching a bunch of dittos can be a pain, but once you do, using them to breed natures is really simple.

If you plan to do competive battling, you should catch a bunch of dittos anyway since it's a good way to get all the IVs.

Also, a pokemon with synchronize is usually made available really early in the game. And if a pokemon with synchronize is leading your party the wild pokemon it encounters have a 50% chance of having the same nature.

So again, catching a bunch of copies of this pokemon might be a pain, but once you do it makes catching a pokemon with the right nature really simple, even faster than breeding.
Also don't do this to your self until post game

Forkball

They highlight the +'s and -'s of the Pokemon's nature on the stat screen... Also, you're the only person I have ever seen actually complain about natures in a serious way like this...

It wasn't until HGSS that they showed it on the screen like that. Beforehand there was no way in knowing. And a lot of people complain about natures in a serious way, and if not they should. There's just too much wasted time to get a specific Pokemon with a specific nature. I think overall they are a good feature to implement in the game, as it makes Pokemon unique and gives flexibility to how you train them, but having it completely random is so inconvenient. It took them until BW2 to finally let the everstone have a 100% chance of giving you the nature when breeding, before that people wasted a lot of time getting the wrong nature on their Pokemon. They are making steps, but I think they could still do a lot better with it.

Not exactly. Pokemon speedrunners spend almost all of their playtime resetting to get good enough IVs and if applicable the correct nature.

Shengar

While they're at it, they might as well just let you enter in a pokemon name and the game generates the perfect moveset, stats, abilities and natures, right?

The game TELLS you what nature your pokemon is and what stats it affects right in the stat screen. It's extremely apparent

IIRC, if a pokemon is holding an everstone their nature is passed down 50% of the time. Dittos bred with any pokemon make that species so you find a Ditto with the nature you want and use it when breeding

First, you go to either Route 47 on HGSS and surf to a hidden patch of grass or you go to the Desert Underpass post-E4 in Emerald (You can also catch Ditto in Gen V but the encounter rate's way lower). Then, you catch a ton of Ditto.

Then you just give the Ditto with the right nature the Everstone. In Emerald through BW1 there's a 50% chance of the baby having that nature. In BW2 the odds jump to 100%. So, if you can breed in BW2 you should because you save a lot of time.

EDIT: In Emerald through Pt you can also do the nature thing with female Pokemon when not breeding with Ditto. After HGSS you can do it with either parent.

I see. I never know that Everstone hold such powerful hidden function o_O
For me as long as the nature doesn't hinder the pokemon fighting ability too much (Scizor have his spec attack up while his attack down) It wouldn't matter much to me. Still this information will save me from doing such boring chore of hatching Pokemon eggs. Thanks for the info guys.

Also don't do this to your self until post game

Basically this.

Really do like a lot of these changes, though. The ghost Pokemon being able to escape battles sounds really interesting to me. Makes sense, but never really thought about it until brought up now. I like it.

Wiseblade

You can opt not to use it.

The fuck are you talking about? Just don't use it.
Except now I don't have an EXP Share to use anymore. Now I'm stuck with something that may be pretty inconvenient to use.
How does the Exp All have anything to do with competitive at all?

Don't understand this post. You can not use it if you have to come up with imaginary detriments to using it
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it imaginary.
Game Freak, continue with these changes, please. This reaction... :lol
Aren't you a bundle of fun today.

Symphonic

Except now I don't have an EXP Share to use anymore. Now I'm stuck with something that may be pretty inconvenient to use.

Then explain why you don't like EXP All, man. The backlash isn't necessarily because people disagree with you, it's because you came and in and stated an unpopular opinion and didn't say WHY.

Fans are going to overreact, sure, but it's not like you didn't ask for it.

Infinite

It's not a detriment because you can simply not use it. We don't even have all the details on how it works yet lol

King_Moc

Banned
Exp All is going to mess me about a bit. I have 5 Exp shares and tend to EV train 6 Pokemon in one go. This means i can add and remove EXP shares as necessary. Now i'll have to travel to a Pokemon centre to deposit/remove Pokemon all the time.

Top Bottom