• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y mechanical changes interview

It's not a detriment because you can simply not use it. We don't even have all the details on how it works yet lol

Before, you could use EXP Share to EV train a Pokemon without having to send it in and switch out to something else every single battle. EXP Share changing to EXP All could obstruct that. It's not "don't use it", it's "something you used to use may not be viable any more."

Wiseblade

It's too early to say exactly how it'll affect EV gain, since the game isn't out yet - it may just work like Exp. Share did in G5 w/ a team effect instead of participant effect.

Same with catch XP - no one knows the mechanics behind it. It will be tested along with everything else.
But hasn't EV gain always been linked to EXP? What are the odds of that changing? It's unlikely that is going to change next month.

You can change EV's out of battle so you dont need to worry about Exp Share/All for EV's anymore. Just get the pokemon to the right level and go to the EV change minigame thing and fix them.

Symphonic

You can change EV's out of battle so you dont need to worry about Exp Share/All for EV's anymore. Just get the pokemon to the right level and go to the EV change minigame thing and fix them.

This is probably why they're changing it to EXP All, would make sense.

zroid

Banned

Yeah that's really the take away message. Even if Exp All is detrimental to EV training (in whatever small way), Super Training renders it nullified since that's going to be by far the most efficient way to gain EVs regardless.

Infinite

Before, you could use EXP Share to EV train a Pokemon without having to send it in and switch out to something else every single battle. EXP Share changing to EXP All could obstruct that. It's not "don't use it", it's "something you used to use may not be viable any more."

You can still do something similar and even end up EV training more Pokemon at once than you would with exp share. Not seeing the problem.

But hasn't EV gain always been linked to EXP? What are the odds of that changing? It's unlikely that is going to change next month.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience-affecting_item
Description of Exp. Share said:
In Generation I (called Exp. All), it shares experience gained from battle equally between all party members. These party members do not gain stat experience unless they participate in the battle.

From Generation II onwards, it shares experience gained from battle between Pokémon that participate in battle and the holder. If the holder also takes part in the battle it will receive 1.5 times more experience, while the rest will receive only half. The holding Pokémon also gains all stat experience or EVs that would be gained by defeating the opponent.
I expect it'll follow the model of giving EVs to the holder and participants.

Zeroth

I can't wait to get Mega Cynthia.

Simon-Cowell-Dead-Stare-Reaction-Gif.gif

Except now I don't have an EXP Share to use anymore. Now I'm stuck with something that may be pretty inconvenient to use.

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it imaginary.

Aren't you a bundle of fun today.

If you could point out how and why exactly the new Exp All held item has any impact on the competitive aspect of the game, that would be swell. I'm just not seeing it.

Berordn

gross. that's what I was looking forward to. an overhaul of the previous generations' pokemon.

Gen V did this pretty well at the cost of giving any variety to the new Pokemon. Most of the old ones don't have anything to worry about since their movesets are pretty much jampacked. They're already getting a lot of love through Mega Evolutions anyway.

TrickRoom

It's nice that these changes are simplifying things, and making everything faster, but I hope they still remember that there's an actual game that needs to be played.

I am a fan of Exp. All, and I'm glad they're taking another look at inheritance. Abusing the RNG when breeding in Gen. V is a godsend, but I'd rather have a legitimate way of obtaining perfect IV's.

I legitimately bred a team in Gen. IV where I got every member's three most important IV's to 31, and all other relevant IV's to at least 25. Couple the IV woes with cross breeding for certain moves, and it ended up a ridiculous time sink. I refuse to spend that much time on it ever again.

I hope we can get more details on the inheritance changes in X/Y soon. I like the concept of IV's, and I feel like breeding would lose a lot of its depth and purpose without it, but the way things are right now is a little too random for the average player.

Elfteiroh

Dont know how i feel about EXP all...

I like it... But I wonder what they will do with EVs... Will it be like Gen I, no EV, or will it become a mass distributor of EV? ... Mass EV training could be cool in a sense...

*googles*

Forget everything I said.

ALL OF MY DREAMS HAVE COME TRUE

GEN OF THE FOREVER

GAME OF THE FOREVER
I loled hard. xD I must say I never saw such a drastic change of opinion in such a short time. xD That was extreme man.

TrickRoom

I just realized... If EXP Share is going away, does that mean items are being retooled with removals in this game?

And if so, would that mean anything towards held item transfers?

Trey

These changes...GF is not fucking around. I have nothing but golfclaps for every single change implemented.

gross. that's what I was looking forward to. an overhaul of the previous generations' pokemon.

Don't listen to Wiseblade, he's just grumpy right now. The Mega Evolutions being comprised of Pokemon from previous gens should tell you that GF is taking rebalancing seriously, and are targeting every generation.

Wiseblade

I like it... But I wonder what they will do with EVs... Will it be like Gen I, no EV, or will it become a mass distributor of EV? ... Mass EV training could be cool in a sense...

I loled hard. xD I must say I never saw such a drastic change of opinion in such a short time. xD That was extreme man.
I think people are reading way too much into that post. I was really just venting mild irritation rather than expressing true rage.

Super Training though, that is legit cray. I nearly had a full on Pokégasm in the office and had to remind myself where I was.

Berordn

Although I would love it, we need to be realistic here. The fact you can bring over pokemon from older gens brings the question of what will be done.

It's a one-way transfer, though. They could remove IVs without affecting anything at all, especially considering we have to go through an outside service for past gen transfers.

Wiseblade

These changes...GF is not fucking around. I have nothing but golfclaps for every single change implemented.

Don't listen to Wiseblade, he's just grumpy right now. The Mega Evolutions being comprised of Pokemon from previous gens should tell you that GF is taking rebalancing seriously, and are targeting every generation.
But that's what it says! They'll probably get one or two new moves, especially the ones that are now fairy type, but don't expect any big changes. Gen VI is unlikely to be the gen Flareon finally becomes good.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They actually do a lot of stuff for the existing mons. But of course they'll focus on the new mons first.

Trey

But that's what it says! They'll probably get one or two new moves, especially the ones that are now fairy type, but don't expect any big changes. Gen VI is unlikely to be the gen Flareon finally becomes good.

Mega Evos, type chart changes, and changes to universal move and status properties are all significant, meta-shifting differences that change up all gens inherently. And all the interview said was that the new gen would get priority with new abilities and moves, which makes sense.

Zeroth

Not really. The game can still have IV's but just ignore them and pretend they are all 31.

It's a one-way transfer, though. They could remove IVs without affecting anything at all, especially considering we have to go through an outside service for past gen transfers.

We already went through this discussion in the community thread. Many points were raised for both cases, and we reached the consensus it wasn't exactly an easy thing to do, as much as we wanted the IVs to disappear.

Berordn

We already went through this discussion in the community thread. Many points were raised for both cases, and we reached the consensus it wasn't exactly an easy thing to do, as much as we wanted the IVs to disappear.

Well, it's not exactly an easy thing to recreate the Pokemon structure every generation and keep a method of transfer either, but they've done it since Gen IV.

I don't think difficulty has anything to do with the reasons why IVs and EVs have persisted this long.

Zeroth

Well, it's not exactly an easy thing to recreate the Pokemon structure every generation and keep a method of transfer either, but they've done it since Gen IV.

I don't think difficulty has anything to do with the reasons why IVs and EVs have persisted this long.

I apologize, I did not mean to imply it was difficult to code, but due to its implications to the overall game. If you want, a quick search on the community thread about IVs should shown the discussion.

Wiseblade

Mega Evos, type chart changes, and changes to universal move and status properties are all significant, meta-shifting differences that change up all gens inherently. And all the interview said was that the new gen would get priority with new abilities and moves, which makes sense.
Slow down there, buddy! I'm not arguing against all of that. I'm just saying that people shouldn't expect drastic moveset changes on older Pokémon. Nothing is getting neglected.

Outside of the usual suspects, anyway.

Top Bottom