• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y mechanical changes interview

Ferrio

Banned
So not sure if this is the right thread, but I'll be preodering soon. What are the differences between X and Y?

Holy shit they're bringing exp all back

They really are going all out with gen 1 nostalgia on this one

We need telescopes we can view the Legendaries through + gifts from the Aides for catching so many Pokes. Also, traversable looking land outside the area borders that we will go crazy trying to get to.

I wonder how will EXP All work this time around.

Just get it and it'll always be on? Have it equipped onto any Pokemon in your party? Does the Pokemon have to appear in battle? Will it be some option or whatever since this time if we're keeping the same item system from the last games, you can't dump it into your PC since your bag this time is UNLIMITED.

Y has the superior MewTwo, X has the superior Legendary.

You got that mixed up.

Also X has Clauncher and Y has Skrelp. We don't know anymore version exclusives beyond those.
I wonder how will EXP All work this time around.

Just get it and it'll always be on? Have it equipped onto any Pokemon in your party? Does the Pokemon have to appear in battle? Will it be some option or whatever since this time if we're keeping the same item system from the last games, you can't dump it into your PC since your bag this time is UNLIMITED.

Did you even read the OP?

Did you even read the OP?

Yes, but it doesn't say exactly how it works or what kind of item it is (an equippable one or a key item).

In Gen 1, just having it in your bag meant it's always on and the only way to stop it is to dump it in your PC.

Now, you can't dump it if it's a key item so is it always on or off? Is it an equippable item? Is it like the current exp share but instead of having the exp go to one Pokemon, it goes to everywhere? Or is it like your active pokemon has to equip it and the item throws half the exp to everyone else.

Yes, but it doesn't say exactly how it works or what kind of item it is (an equippable one or a key item).

In Gen 1, just having it in your bag meant it's always on and the only way to stop it is to dump it in your PC.

Now, you can't dump it if it's a key item so is it always on or off? Is it an equippable item? Is it like the current exp share but instead of having the exp go to one Pokemon, it goes to everywhere? Or is it like your active pokemon has to equip it and the item throws half the exp to everyone else.

The item Exp. Share will revert to Exp. All as in Generation I, where when one Pokémon holding this item participates in battle, all other Pokémon in the team receive experience as well. Unlike in Generation I, the experience is not split but rather received by all Pokémon. This means that the participating Pokemon receive 100% experience, while non-participating Pokémon receive 50% experience.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
5. The item Exp. Share will revert to Exp. All as in Generation I, where when one Pokémon holding this item participates in battle, all other Pokémon in the team receive experience as well. Unlike in Generation I, the experience is not split but rather received by all Pokémon. This means that the participating Pokemon receive 100% experience, while non-participating Pokémon receive 50% experience.
That is fucking awesome.

Berordn

I apologize, I did not mean to imply it was difficult to code, but due to its implications to the overall game. If you want, a quick search on the community thread about IVs should shown the discussion.

Ah, fair enough then. It would take some rebalancing to remove IVs from the overall picture for sure, though if they were to ever do it now seems like the time.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
storafötter;83616333 said:
Are pokemon games really hard in general? I welcome anything that allows me to level up faster for tournaments and special events.
I like the sound of the new improvements but I have a feeling that the air battles will be underused as usual.

They're actually probably harder with a full team than they are with 1-3 pokemon (and 2-3 used solely for HMs, never for battles).

EXP All is the worst thing I've heard about generation VI and sets a worrying trend of GF back pedalling on changes that support the competitive scene/ev training.

Giving EXP for catches doesn't help either.
How so? Just take one pokemon along instead of 5. It's not that hard.

This will be better for fully leveling a group of EV trained pokes.

VALKYRAY

Banned
They need to rework HMs so they are viable competively.
Ex: hm1 cut, type bug, 50% lower opponent defense one stage.
Hm4: strength, either make it fighting type or give it secondary effect that flinch or paralyze opponent.

Hm4: strength, either make it fighting type or give it secondary effect that flinch or paralyze opponent.

No, strength is a great move for normal types.

Exp. All is nice because now I'll be able to train far more than just six team members. I'll be able to rotate my team now, so that I can catch and train as many of the new Pokemon as possible!

As for mega evolution timing being selectable, I assume it's meant that you can choose whether to mega evolve at the beginning or end of a turn. Which is very useful, as it opens up the path to many interesting strategies and choices. Shows that they really are balancing this strategically and trying to make it viable for the competitive scene.

Infinite

HMs don't necessarily need to be viable competitively since essentially they are "keys" in game. We could see them replaced entirely with a different mechanic before they decide to make them viable attacks competitively.

Trey

HMs don't necessarily need to be viable competitively since essentially they are "keys" in game. We could see them replaced entirely with a different mechanic before they decide to make them viable attacks competitively.

Infinite gets it.

VALKYRAY

Banned
I want them to be useful even just for single player. Don't u hate to carry 1 or more hm slave(s) into battles. They contribute nothing but to take up party slot(s)

GaimeGuy

Return :V

Explosion :V
Relic Song :V
Rapid Spin :V
Facade :V
Retaliate :V
Tri-Attack :V
And tons of status moves (Swords Dance and Shell Smash, anyone?)
Among others.

granted most of these moves are used for a particular niche role or are unique to 1 or 2 specific pokemon.

Sandfox

EXP All is the worst thing I've heard about generation VI and sets a worrying trend of GF back pedalling on changes that support the competitive scene/ev training.

Giving EXP for catches doesn't help either.

I don't see how this or EXP for catching really hurt EV training.

Infinite

I want them to be useful even just for single player. Don't u hate to carry 1 or more hm slave(s) into battles. They contribute nothing but to take up party slot(s)
Yeah that is annoying but I rather see hm removed entirely and replaced with an actual "key" that doesn't take a move slot, permanently.

They're actually probably harder with a full team than they are with 1-3 pokemon (and 2-3 used solely for HMs, never for battles).

Definitely. What with exp spread, you'd have to grind wild Pokémon I should imagine, or take stat changing moves into account, which I rarely do in single player.

I played White and White 2 recently with just my starters (Samurott was 77 by the time I had reached the end of the game in White, Emboar was 80 in White 2 - used Lucky Egg on both since obtaining) and there were various points where I really had to consider my options due to bad natures, bad EVs, types disadvantages and the ability to be 2hko.

Was a mix of a face roll and being kinda difficult at points.

Also I unlocked Easy Mode when I beat White 2, also read Hard Mode exists. Can you start from the beginning on Hard Mode or is it tied to your save?

DigitalOp

Banned
So does Exp Share aka Exp All give every effected pokemon EV values?

So if I KO a geodude, My whole team is getting 2 Defense EVs? That could jack up my whole team if Im trying to do specific training...

GaimeGuy

Definitely. What with exp spread, you'd have to grind wild Pokémon I should imagine, or take stat changing moves into account, which I rarely do in single player.

I played White and White 2 recently with just my starters (Samurott was 77 by the time I had reached the end of the game in White, Emboar was 80 in White 2 - used Lucky Egg on both since obtaining) and there were various points where I really had to consider my options due to bad natures, bad EVs, types disadvantages and the ability to be 2hko.

Was a mix of a face roll and being kinda difficult at points.

Also I unlocked Easy Mode when I beat White 2, also read Hard Mode exists. Can you start from the beginning on Hard Mode or is it tied to your save?

Hard mode is unlocked by beating Black 2. You can freley transfer the "Keys" used for unlocking Hard/Easy mode between black and white carts.

Champion Iris rematch on Challenge Mode:

Hydreigon (Lvl 81)
Ability: Levitate
Held Item: Wise Glasses
Moves: Dragon Pulse, Surf, Fire Blast, Focus Blast

Salamence (Lvl 81)
Ability: Intimidate
Held Item: Life Orb
Moves: Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Crunch

Aggron (Lvl 81)
Ability: Rock Head
Held Item: Muscle Band
Moves: Head Smash, Double-Edge, Earthquake, Autotomize

Archeops (Lvl 81)
Ability: Defeatist
Held Item: Flying Gem
Moves: Acrobatics, Stone Edge, Dragon Claw, Endeavor

Lapras (Lvl 81)
Ability: Water Absorb
Held Item: Zoom Lens
Moves: Hydro Pump, Blizzard, Thunder, Sing

Haxorus (Lvl 83)
Ability: Mold Breaker
Held Item: Focus Sash
Moves: Outrage, Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Guillotine

Sandfox

So if I KO a geodude, My whole team is getting 2 Defense EVs? That could jack up my whole team if Im trying to do specific training...

Unless they change the way it works this should allow you to EV train multiple pokemon at one time without swtiching.

Firestorm

As for mega evolution timing being selectable, I assume it's meant that you can choose whether to mega evolve at the beginning or end of a turn. Which is very useful, as it opens up the path to many interesting strategies and choices. Shows that they really are balancing this strategically and trying to make it viable for the competitive scene.
Pretty sure he means at what point during the battle, not turn order. In the demo you were forced to Mega Evolve right away but he's indicating this won't be the case in the actual game.

Yeah, damn. Gonna be running with real tiny teams when out ev training. Maybe a held item (easily obtainable) that will block ev acquisition could be a thing? Prayers, hopes, dreams, etc I know but it's nice to want things.

Firestorm

Y'all were weak. I never used Exp Share while EV Training. My Pokemon learned to be real 'mons by training. Not sitting on their ass and leeching!

zeelman

I think the XP for catching Pokemon will help a lot with catching up weaker guys you typically only use for certain situations (like ones that mainly use status effects to help catch tougher mons). Plus trying to spread out the XP amongst my team made them too weak by the end.

Wiseblade

How so? Just take one pokemon along instead of 5. It's not that hard.

This will be better for fully leveling a group of EV trained pokes.

I don't see how this or EXP for catching really hurt EV training.
It's more that the loss of the Exp Share is inconvenient. I could work without it, but why should I have to? And what if I encounter a shiny Pokémon while EV training, but it gives the wrong EVs? Catching it will screw me over.

They should do something like Valkyrie Profile, where you have an EXP "Pot" which gains points from doing non-traditional actions like captures and finding secret areas and you can distribute the EXP as you please.

Regiruler

I swear I must be the only one that distributes them to my story team. The only thing that bothers me is that 3-4 of them are usually water-based and I only have one pokemon on my team that can learn them.

Berordn

The fact that we're able to transfer everything form Gen V cleanly means IVs are still a thing.

It doesn't. In every cross-generation transfer there's been a shift to the Pokemon data structure and rewriting the Pokemon for the new version was masked by the silly minigames. Now that there's a batch transfer method using a cloud service, it's not unreasonable to think that the relevant data could be retained for the new structure while it rips out IVs.

That's not to say it won't have them, but there's no guarantee.

It doesn't. In every cross-generation transfer there's been a shift to the Pokemon data structure and rewriting the Pokemon for the new version was masked by the silly minigames. Now that there's a batch transfer method using a cloud service, it's not unreasonable to think that the relevant data could be retained for the new structure while it rips out IVs.

That's not to say it won't have them, but there's no guarantee.

Exactly. Just because a pokemon has IV data doesn't mean the game has to use it for stats.

VALKYRAY

Banned
I swear I must be the only one that distributes them to my story team. The only thing that bothers me is that 3-4 of them are usually water-based and I only have one pokemon on my team that can learn them.
I distributed them couple playthroughs. Just cut and strength were so useless, they bother the fuck out me. rock smash was one hm and it was way more useful than cut and strength

Oh I forgot to mention flash clear fog etc. omg were they trash

Firestorm

It's more that the loss of the Exp Share is inconvenient. I could work without it, but why should I have to? And what if I encounter a shiny Pokémon while EV training, but it gives the wrong EVs? Catching it will screw me over.
Then don't catch or send out the Pokemon you're trading and let it faint before catching. Or use the berries that lower EVs.

This is a great change for Exp All and a pretty good change for experience. You're finding things to whine about at this rate.

Top Bottom