• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y mechanical changes interview

I don't see a downside to this; that's a very rare thing for pure ease and comfort additions to RPGs.

I'm up for anything that makes training teams of 'Mons easier.

Hopefully this and Super Training will discourage people who resort to Action Replays or GTS-DNS tricks or the like to get teams of perfect Pokemon.

Plus it helps me get closer to my goal of having a living dex where every single 'Mon is trained and battle ready.

Read the responces in this thread. That sadly ain't happening. They know it exists, therefore it must be theirs...or else.

Not sure I like the Exp Share/All change, but most likely the game has other ways of giving me more control when EV training Pokémon one after another so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Should be helpful for the story playthrough though.

#3 worries me a bit, and xp for catching means I'm going to need to use a dedicated Pokémon as soon as I can to make sure it doesn't mess things up.

zroid

Banned
Are double/triple battles returning?

We've seen a double battle at some point, so yes to that. That wouldn't get removed anyway since it's the cornerstone of the tournament scene. I can't imagine they would remove the other formats either, though they might get downplayed compared to horde/sky battles, maybe.

DaBoss

Are double/triple battles returning?

Yes.
http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/primary_feature/
Rating Battles

Play in Rating Battles via the PSS and see your results on the Pokémon Global Link! You'll be able to view your own rating, as well as your world ranking for each of the many battle formats available.

In Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, there will be five battle formats for Rating Battles: Single Battle, Double Battle, Triple Battle, Rotation Battle, and the new Special Battle. Rules for Special Battles will change every three months. During the first season, the Special Battle format will be Single Battle, restricted to the Pokémon that were first introduced in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. The first season is scheduled to begin in late December of this year.

The biggest thing I'm worried about in regards to the Exp All, like others, is how it distributes EV points. It'd be a tad annoying to have to empty my party whenever I plan on EV training... although Amie might make up for it depending on how well/quickly it works.
PLOT TWIST: Pokemon only gain EV points through Pokemon Amie, and no longer from battles!

Sandfox

The biggest thing I'm worried about in regards to the Exp All, like others, is how it distributes EV points. It'd be a tad annoying to have to empty my party whenever I plan on EV training... although Amie might make up for it, depending on how well/quickly it works.
PLOT TWIST: Pokemon only gain EV points through Pokemon Amie, and no longer from battles!

Its probably going to spread EVs to every pokemon. This will make EV training teams a lot faster.

Firestorm

I just realized I could put Exp All on some HM Slave type Pokemon and a Power Lens / Anklet / whatever on the Pokemon I'm trying to train. This is going to make EV Training twice as fast at least.
Edit: IMAGINE A HORDE BATTLE

So given EXP share "reverts" into EXP all does this mean you can have multiple of them through gen transfers or is there no transfer of hold items?

Still, given the Lucky Egg in gen 5 I guess we can hold hope you get EXP all fairly early on (its a nice gesture to turn people away from streamrolling the game with an over levelled starter...though if its timing is like gen 1 you end up with an over levelled starter anyway...)

The Exp. All change will make getting base stats by hand much easier if it comes down to that. It's not that getting Pokemon to level 50 so we can plug in formulas is the issue since there's level scaling, but it's that we'll likely need to evolve multiples of most species. If a Pokemon's highest IV is at least 26 then we can use characteristics and the judge to determine the exact value of the IV, but that's only one IV. Here are the formulas at level 50, which as you can see requires us to know the IV for a stat:

Base HP = Stat - IV/2 - EV/8 - 60 (Round result UP)
Base non-HP = Stat/Nature - IV/2 - EV/8 - 5 (Round result UP)

So since we'll usually only be able to calculate one or two base stats per an individual Pokemon being able to raise a lot at a time will make things much quicker. Just gotta keep track of the EVs, use whatever means they give us to scale the level to 50, and just plug the numbers in.

I'm hoping that we won't have to do calculations by hand but there's a very good chance we'll have to. BOOOOOOOOOO.

solarus

I'm not some hardcore player who cares about EV, min/maxing stats or anything so all of the changes sound fantastic and fun to me.

zroid

Banned
I just realized I could put Exp All on some HM Slave type Pokemon and a Power Lens / Anklet / whatever on the Pokemon I'm trying to train. This is going to make EV Training twice as fast at least.
Edit: IMAGINE A HORDE BATTLE

oh wow, lol. Never even considered horde battles for EV yield.

Only issue is that we have no idea what the Ev yields are for the new Pokemon >_>.
We can catch old Pokemon so getting those are easy. We just have the old Pokemon fight the new Pokemon and calculate (we'd have to level scale before that for the IV Calcs though I think).

Official guides rarely go in depth, when it comes to hidden stats.

I'm sure the hardcore community will break it down, and have all the information posted within a few months though.

Boogiepop

Fingers crossed we get something nice with breeding changes. I really feel like one more good push could make it pretty reasonable. Most importantly, though, they NEED to do something about Hidden Power. I swear, it's important on a LOT of movesets but it's way too much of a pain for me to ever bother trying to do legitimately right now (I just ignore movesets with HP for now, but that definitely doesn't help me out competitively).

Oh, and as I'll say every single time a new game comes out: they REALLY need to add some/all of the move tutors back from the old games. It's REALLY bad that certain sets need moves that you can't get unless you go all the way back to the 3rd gen. Actually, I'm starting to hope that's part of what "inheritance system" is referring to: let us "inherit" move tutor moves!

To be fair, we knew about the Spore thing before (from the type table PDF for the Fairy chart update).

Also, Drought Charizard counters, eh... hope he didn't forget about Stealth Rock.

Firestorm

To be fair, we knew about the Spore thing before (from the type table PDF for the Fairy chart update).

Also, Drought Charizard counters, eh... hope he didn't forget about Stealth Rock.
Stealth Rock is non-existent in 3v3 Singles and 4v4 Doubles which comprises pretty much 100% of what the Japanese play so he probably did forget about it.

Stealth Rock is non-existent in 3v3 Singles and 4v4 Doubles which comprises pretty much 100% of what the Japanese play so he probably did forget about it.
I'll take your word for it :)

It'll be interesting to see what sort of strategies emerge with G6 early play, what with G5 and below being locked away until Christmas.

Firestorm

Man, if we actually get Pokémon streams all we need now is Korean casters.

Maybe Scott and Evan should do their best Korean impersonations.
The World Championships were actually streamed on Nico Video for Japan in addition to Twitch. I am not sure what they had for commentary though they did have the Pokemon Smash people doing some commentary before. I believe his comments were in relation to the graphics so he is saying they wanted the game to look more exciting for streams and to properly convey the atmosphere of large events in the VGC circuit.

The mention of streams does make me hopeful for more stream-oriented features in the future (spectator mode + Nico and Twitch integration plz). Need journalists to ask these questions!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Not sifting through every Pokemon thread in recent weeks. Need know one thing in order to decide if I will either A: Buy this game and lose my soul to it like I did gen 4, or B: skip this gen.

Are IV's still absolutely insane for people who want to actually breed legit tournament ready pokemon?

Tablo

I'm not some hardcore player who cares about EV, min/maxing stats or anything so all of the changes sound fantastic and fun to me.

Same, been playing since Leafgreen/Saphire, never even payed attention to EVs. I just go with the flow and what the game hands me, I was a bit concerned about EXP All, as I have less of an incentive to use all of my party. But I'm sure it'll work out.

I love the changes to Exp. All. I have a habbit of training different Pokemon as I progress in the game. I never stick with the same six Pokemon from the beginning. Sometimes I train a single Pokemon for a specific battle/event, so these changes are helpful for me. Considering the number of Pokemon this game will have, this comes as a very useful item for people like me.

Firestorm

Not sifting through every Pokemon thread in recent weeks. Need know one thing in order to decide if I will either A: Buy this game and lose my soul to it like I did gen 4, or B: skip this gen.

Are IV's still absolutely insane for people who want to actually breed legit tournament ready pokemon?
In Gen 5 you could basically guarantee the passing of 3 IVs. So not really.
The changes are fantastic for people who do care about EVs and all that. It's just knee-jerk reactions from people who don't know any better.

I do have to wonder what changes to breeding have been done this time... it's only gotten easier over time to do inheritance of certain attributes.

Sora_N

I'm happy with that list of changes. I'm getting less and less time to play games and must of these will benefit me. I might even be able to fight people now. :)

Top Bottom