• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police at UC Davis pepper spray faces/mouths of peaceful student protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

Clearly, this has evolved past the realm of the OWS movement.

I was honestly pretty sickened when I saw this last night, and everyone really needs to see this video.

From what I've gathered from the articles I've read: students were peacefully protesting on the UC Davis campus when police were called in to monitor the situation. A group of students were sitting on the ground with arms linked together as a form of silent protest. The cops didn't like that for some reason and tried to break them up, and when they didn't, they unloaded a crap load of pepper spray into the faces of the group. When they still sat on the group, the cops dried dragging them apart, but kept spraying when it was ineffective.

pepper-spray.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmJmmnMkuEM&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6AdDLhPwpp4

What is happening to America?

bob page

What were they protesting about?

It was a peaceful Occupy Wall Street protest and they refused to move from the sidewalk (and they weren't blocking anything or doing anything unlawful). The students had their arms linked together as they sat together on the group, but the cops pepper sprayed them. They still had their arms linked and the cops didn't like that so they tried to drag them apart, but they didn't, so the cops shot pepper spray in the guy's mouth.

Draft

Look how fat that piece of shit is. Don't cops have to pass fitness tests? Imagine if he were needed for actual cop work like chasing a suspect or carrying someone to safety.

Zhengi

How about a little context next time? I looked at the picture and thought that the students were already under arrest and the police guy was pepper spraying them regardless. After watching the video and realizing the students are sitting there in protest and not moving, it doesn't have the same impact on me.

It was a peaceful Occupy Wall Street protest and they refused to move from the sidewalk (and they weren't blocking anything or doing anything unlawful). The students had their arms linked together as they sat together on the group, but the cops pepper sprayed them. They still had their arms linked and the cops didn't like that so they tried to drag them apart, but they didn't, so the cops shot pepper spray in the guy's mouth.

Out of curiosity, how are they not blocking anything if they refuse to move from the sidewalk? And how do you know they are doing nothing unlawful?

How about a little context next time? I looked at the picture and thought that the students were already under arrest and the police guy was pepper spraying them regardless. After watching the video and realizing the students are sitting there in protest and not moving, it doesn't have the same impact on me.

what difference does it make? literally, what difference does it make at all?

they are peacefully sitting down, not posing even the slightest threat to anybody on the planet yet the cop non chalantly sprays them in the face because they are a 'nuisance'

i don't think context needs to be given to people SITTING DOWN and being sprayed in the face

bob page

Out of curiosity, how are they not blocking anything if they refuse to move from the sidewalk? And how do you know they are doing nothing unlawful?

What would they have been arrested for? Sitting on the ground within a university that they pay tuition for? It makes no difference whatsoever.

Wahoo, let's defend the militarization of our police force!

And watch the other videos. It's clear they weren't doing ANYTHING unlawful. Why the hell should they have to move from the sidewalk? What, am I gonna get popped in the face for sitting on the ground studying in the future?

After watching the video and realizing the students are sitting there in protest and not moving, it doesn't have the same impact on me.

Are you familiar with the concept of walking around something? Also, the idea that protesting something is not unlawful as long as you're not doing it in an overly obstructive fashion?

What would they have been arrested for? Sitting on the ground within a university that they pay tuition for? It makes no difference whatsoever.

Actually, most of the ones "occupying Davis" weren't from the university, whilst most of those in a separate protest against fees were from the university.

And watch the other videos. It's clear they weren't doing ANYTHING unlawful. Why the hell should they have to move from the sidewalk? What, am I gonna get popped in the face for sitting on the ground studying in the future?

I'm the least cop apologist on gaf, but how is pepper spray "militarization"? It's the exact opposite of that.

Zhengi

what difference does it make? literally, what difference does it make at all?

they are peacefully sitting down, not posing even the slightest threat to anybody on the planet yet the cop non chalantly sprays them in the face because they are a 'nuisance'

i don't think context needs to be given to people SITTING DOWN and being sprayed in the face

Right, cause the first action the cops try to do coming up to a protest is pepper spray everyone. Those evil cops. You would have to assume that they tried to disperse the students first by talking to them and they refused. So yes, context is important.

It doesn't matter if you pay for tuition to the university. There's a lot of stuff I pay to the government with my taxes and they still don't allow me to do just anything I want.

And militarization of our police force? I guess you really don't realize what is happening in a place like Egypt where they are firing rubber bullets into crowds. Get some perspective.

Are you familiar with the concept of walking around something? Also, the idea that protesting something is not unlawful as long as you're not doing it in an overly obstructive fashion?

How do you know it's not overly obstructive? And who gets to decide that? I'd say the cops might be a good authority to decide that.

Jenga

Banned
Actually, most of the ones "occupying Davis" weren't from the university, whilst most of those in a separate protest against fees were from the university.
obviously we need to kick out the anti-fee university students, they contaminate the protest by wanting to only dilute the system's grasp on their throats rather than doing the sensible thing and attempting to do away with the system entirely

bob page

And militarization of our police force? I guess you really don't realize what is happening in a place like Egypt where they are firing rubber bullets into crowds. Get some perspective.

It sounds like you need to get some perspective. Have you seen videos from the Oakland protests? The Marine vet almost died from getting shot in the face with a rubber bullet.

Not to mention that this is AMERICA and we have civil rights laws that supposedly protect us from this crap.

bangai-o

Banned
i didnt watch the links, but i think i seen footage on cnn. I am going to guess the police officer didnt really want to do that.

Jenga

Banned
It sounds like you need to get some perspective. Have you seen videos from the Oakland protests? The Marine vet almost died from getting shot in the face with a rubber bullet.
Even rubber bullets are too much. Anything that can harm or otherwise incapacitate a human being shouldn't be in the hands of the government or any police force.

bob page

Still waiting for an answer. Militarization of police forces does not include specifically non lethal weapons. It's an oxy moron.

Dude, you're getting into semantics here. It's the general idea of the matter, regardless of whether the weapons are designed to be lethal or not.

Even rubber bullets are too much. Anything that can harm or otherwise incapacitate a human being shouldn't be in the hands of the government or any police force.

No hyperbole here.
Dude, you're getting into semantics here. It's the general idea of the matter, regardless of whether the weapons are designed to be lethal or not.

It's about using correct terminology so you don't sound stupid in framing your debate. Talk about why using pepper spray is wrong - you don't need to invent sensationalist shit about how pepper spray is a military weapon. It's godwinning your entire argument for no real reason, particularly when there's no reason for the cops to have used any weapon in this case.

Zhengi

Not to mention that this is AMERICA and we have civil rights laws that supposedly protect us from this crap.

Was I talking about the Oakland protests? I didn't see any rubber bullets flying around at the UC Davis campus. Did you? What happened in Oakland was wrong. I'm not defending that. However, how does pepper spray to the face compare to rubber bullets?

Jenga

Banned
Was I talking about the Oakland protests? I didn't see any rubber bullets flying around at the UC Davis campus. Did you? What happened in Oakland was wrong. I'm not defending that. However, how does pepper spray to the face compare to rubber bullets?
Any weapon that allows the government to beat down a citizen shouldn't be in their hands. Simple.

No hyperbole here.

It's about using correct terminology so you don't sound stupid in framing your debate. Talk about why using pepper spray is wrong - you don't need to invent sensationalist shit about how pepper spray is a military weapon. It's godwinning your entire argument for no real reason, particularly when there's no reason for the cops to have used any weapon in this case.
4293621-L.jpg

Pepper spraying peaceful students protesting is wrong, end of. You do realise that this is a forum on the Internet, not debate class. We don't get marks for "framing our debate" correctly. The fact is that the police used unnecessary force, the students were harmed and were not obstructing anything. Therefore the police force were wrong and should be disciplined accordingly.

in the context of excessive (any) use of force on a peaceful protest? yes.

you start going down a deep, and wrong, path when that in any form is justified. I'm not talking about riots, i'm not talking about insurrections, i'm talking about kids sitting their asses down on a sidewalk and getting sprayed in the face, or vets getting shot by rubber bullets, or peaceful demonstrations stormed. When we have to compare ourselves to anywhere like Egypt in a positive way, it may as well just end in comparing ourselves to China (well we aren't running them over with tanks!), we are in a bad place in terms of how we treat our citizenry and how clearly that reflects the state of the political and economic structure of the landed gentry.

.GqueB.

Banned
I have a simple question. Were they sent down there to clear them out or were they just walking through the park, saw the protesters, and suddenly decided to harass them?

Zhengi

in the context of excessive use of force on a peaceful protest? yes.

That was probably the best way to separate the crowd. Otherwise, it would be use of force trying to separate them. That would have been even worse and can lead to more people being hurt.

bob page

That was probably the best way to separate the crowd. Otherwise, it would be use of force trying to separate them. That would have been even worse and can lead to more people being hurt.

Why did they need to separate the crowd in the first place? They were doing NOTHING wrong. You're not seeing the point here.

We have a RIGHT to protest.

Jenga

Banned
I have a simple question. Were they sent down there to clear them out or were they just walking through the park, saw the protesters, and suddenly decided to harass them?

The chubby police officer was strolling around, saw the young, fit, and beautiful protesters combating the imperial american regime and just decided to take out his rage on them by blinding them with deadly weapons like pepper spray

Yes, people have the right to protest, but there are also rules that govern protest.

would you like to outline which rules these peaceful protestors were breaking which necessitated mace as they were dormant upon the ground posing zero threat to anybody whatsoever?

which of the rules have to be broken to receive a bullet to the head and some time in the ICU?

bob page

Yes, people have the right to protest, but there are also rules that govern protest.

There could be many reasons. Hard to say since there is no context given in the OP.

You think there could be, but there aren't. Stop using hypotheticals. Browse Youtube for more videos, there were tons of people filming the entire protest.

They were sent down there to take down a tent that was being set up by the students. The tent was taken down by the students before the cops arrived. The cops still sprayed the kids in the face and started removing them because they were supposedly "blockaded" by them.

That is why they are calling for the chancellor to resign for her actions. Here is another protest against her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmfIuKelOt4

The chubby police officer was strolling around, saw the young, fit, and beautiful protesters combating the imperial american regime and just decided to take out his rage on them by blinding them with deadly weapons like pepper spray

lol, chubby? That isn't chubby. Dude is overweight. As said in the thread already, it is sad how unfit some cops are especially when they supposedly undergo fitness tests.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Somehow a rally with cameras and witnesses has always seemed to me like the 100% worst time to commit police brutality but these occupy protests continue to amaze me without how much nonchalance officers have to beating and disrespecting their citizens in public for seemingly no reason.

Zhengi

would you like to outline which rules these peaceful protestors were breaking which necessitated mace as they were dormant upon the ground posing zero threat to anybody whatsoever?

which of the rules have to be broken to receive a bullet to the head and some time in the ICU?

I don't know. Why don't you ask the police? They're the ones who broke up the protest. Just because they broke up the protest doesn't mean that they didn't have good reasons.

You think there could be, but there aren't. Stop using hypotheticals. Browse Youtube for more videos, there were tons of people filming the entire protest.

There are rules and laws governing protests. Youtube videos aren't going to really mean much.

it is in concordance with multiple instances of excessive use of force by the US police against peaceful, non violent demonstrations

The police still need to enforce laws. Those protesters were given plenty of time to clear the sidewalk and refused. At least they didn't get hit with nightsticks.

Being peaceful doesn't negate the fact that they are breaking the law.

bob page

The police still need to enforce laws. Those protesters were given plenty of time to clear the sidewalk and refused. At least they didn't get hit with nightsticks.

Being peaceful doesn't negate the fact that they are breaking the law.

Please tell me what law they were breaking. Sure, the police told them to leave, but they had no reason to do so in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom