• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
why are there so many poligaffers in the great lakes states, anyway? you'd think there'd be more of us in california or texas or (god forbid) florida

Higher concentration of swing states? Wikipedia has this map showing money and effort expended in the 2004 election:
800px-2004CampaignAttention.png

EDIT: And Indiana and Ohio were "swing states" in 2008, so...

Wilsongt

Just because I greatly dislike Nikki Haley.

Nikki Haley Hopes to Appeal to Women, Minorities to Join GOP

TAMPA, Fla. - Gov. Nikki Haley says she hopes her speech to the Republican National Convention Tuesday draws minorities, women and others disenchanted with President Barack Obama into the GOP.

"I hope that I appeal to women. I hope that I appeal to minorities. I hope that I appeal to good Americans that want to see us self correct," Haley told USA Today and Gannett journalists at the convention Tuesday morning.

"It's offensive as a minority and as a woman that Democrats can go and say 'that party hates you' and can get away with that," Haley said about the portrayal of the Republican Party. "It's a terrible mistake on Democrats' part and a terrible mistake on President Obama's part."

It's also terribly offensive that old, white men in suit insists on getting into the business of what goes on in a woman's vagina, as well as passing laws that specifically discriminate against minorities, IE voter ID laws and extreme immigration laws.

Speaking of auditioning for 2016, who do you guys think will be doing that at the DNC? Their list of speakers:

Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin
Newark Mayor Cory Booker
Former President Jimmy Carter (via video)
San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, who will be the first Latino keynote speaker at a Democratic National Convention
Former President Bill Clinton
Former Republican Governor of Florida Charlie Crist
Former Assistant Secretary, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Tammy Duckworth
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel
Georgetown Law School Graduate Sandra Fluke
Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx
Former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm
California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris
Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper
Montana State Superintendent of Public Instruction Denise Juneau
Former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine
Lieutenant General Claudia Kennedy (ret.)
Congresswoman Barbara Lee of California
CarMax co-founder and former CEO Austin Ligon
President of NARAL Pro-Choice America Nancy Keenan
Caroline Kennedy
Women’s rights activist Lilly Ledbetter
Obama Campaign Co-Chair Eva Longoria
U.S. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts
Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter
U.S. Senator Barbara Mikulski of Maryland, together with the women of the U.S. Senate
Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
President of Planned Parenthood Action Fund Cecile Richards
Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak
Journalist Cristina Saralegui
Costco co-founder and former CEO Jim Sinegal
Former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland
Los Angeles Mayor, Democratic Convention Chair Antonio Villaraigosa
Senate candidate from Massachusetts Elizabeth Warren

That's my guesses. Strickland would be on the list as well had Kasich not squeaked past him in 2010.

eznark

Banned
Villaraigosa and Emanuel have no shot at national politics. Too many skeletons. I also don't think Patrick has any chance at ascending beyond governor, he is far too dumb but worse does a terrible job at hiding it.

He inherited a great education, great connections and network, great community, lots of resources, and I am sure his parents paid for tons of shit. "Just" having a privileged upbringing counts for a whole lot.

And there is no way I could do Romney's job. I couldn't just buy companies, fire everyone, and offer to hire them back at a lower salary and no health benefits. So he has a 'talent' if you want to call it that.

It's also terribly offensive that old, white men in suit insists on getting into the business of what goes on in a woman's vagina, as well as passing laws that specifically discriminate against minorities, IE voter ID laws and extreme immigration laws.

This woman has to be either delusional or has a slave/subservient mentality.

Or both.

Villaraigosa and Emanuel have no shot at national politics. Too many skeletons. I also don't think Patrick has any chance at ascending beyond governor, he is far too dumb but worse does a terrible job at hiding it.

Probably so, but that won't stop them from trying.

eznark

Banned
Probably so, but that won't stop them from trying.

Deval Patrick will definitely try, though imo he'd be smart to just enjoy playing in the adult pool as MA governor. Rahm I highly doubt. He seems way, way too smart to try and go that far out of his depth. I don't know anything about the LA mayor's ambitions.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Isn't Haley the one who was cutting rape/abuse programs because they supposedly only benefit a small minority of people? She's totally part of the that hate mentality.

Clevinger

Isn't Haley the one who was cutting rape/abuse programs because they supposedly only benefit a small minority of people?

I don't remember her reasoning, but yeah she's the one. She pissed off her legislature so much that they unanimously overrode her veto.

gcubed

Deval Patrick will definitely try, though imo he'd be smart to just enjoy playing in the adult pool as MA governor. Rahm I highly doubt. He seems way, way too smart to try and go that far out of his depth. I don't know anything about the LA mayor's ambitions.

Rahm will never go into national politics. He'll go from mayor to governor
to jail if Illinois tradition holds

giga

Probably a good guess.

Speaking of auditioning for 2016, who do you guys think will be doing that at the DNC? Their list of speakers:

My guesses are Booker, Castro, Emanuel, and O'Malley. Outside of the super well-known people, I'm not very familiar with a lot of the governors speaking. It's kind of strange that most of the people in the future democrat presidential talks are mayors. Are there any democratic congressmen that would potentially be in the conversation? If there were, I'd imagine they'd be speaking.
Damn Sandra Fluke is speaking? She's gotten huge. Thanks Limbaugh!

Also, <3 Caroline Kennedy.

Kosmo

Banned
He inherited a great education, great connections and network, great community, lots of resources, and I am sure his parents paid for tons of shit. "Just" having a privileged upbringing counts for a whole lot.

Are we debating which of two Harvard Law graduates had the more privileged upbringing or a better chance in life? I'd say from the point they graduated, it's a draw - both a multi-millionaires, one was a governor, one is President. What's the point?

Damn Sandra Fluke is speaking? She's gotten huge. Thanks Limbaugh!

She was a plant from the beginning.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Are we debating which of two Harvard Law graduates had the more privileged upbringing or a better chance in life? I'd say from the point they graduated, it's a draw - both a multi-millionaires, one was a governor, one is President. What's the point?

When Obama graduated he was in Debt.

That's my guesses. Strickland would be on the list as well had Kasich not squeaked past him in 2010.

Rahm is the Mayor of Murder Land. No way

Booker or Nutter would be great, and this is despite me being a gun person and they both not being one. Both are great Mayors who along with not being corrupt have done a lot of good, especially Booker in fucking Newark of all places!

Don't the Dems have anyone from Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc? Someone who loves guns, but is mainstream Dem, I know I offer Testor a lot, but a lot of PA Rural Dems are examples of this too. I'd have to think that would help with making a lot of inroads into those areas.

codhand

Wisconsin -> Boston -> Indiana

I am a Cheesehead, always will be! I just happen to live in Indiana. Still head up a couple times a month, more during baseball season.

I lived in Indiana for a few years. Still visit when I get free Colts tickets :) and for the SuperBowl, which was well run.

Rahm is the Mayor of Murder Land. No way
Booker or Nutter would be great, and this is despite me being a gun person and they both not being one.

What does a being a gun person entail?

Clevinger

Don't the Dems have anyone from Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc? Someone who loves guns, but is mainstream Dem, I know I offer Testor a lot, but a lot of PA Rural Dems are examples of this too. I'd have to think that would help with making a lot of inroads into those areas.

Schweitzer, Gov from Montana, is against gun control. He's pretty popular, from what I remember.

codhand

Indy is a great convention town aside from shitty restaurants.

Been all over that state though, Evansville, Rushville, Gnaw Bone, Bloomington, Indy/Broad Ripple, never went North much, pretty boring state overall, but still have close friends there.

They really hate unions there, when I visited for the Superbowl (not to go, just hang-out), didn't recall that sentiment from my time living there, seemed to me a new thing (Mitch?). Everyone is still uber-friendly however.

Obama was NOT a millionaire. Have you even read his books?

Kosmo

Banned
You just said they both graduated multimillionaires.

requote:

Ugh, you people. From the time they graduated to where they are today. Fucking christ. Or are you implying I also meant that the day they graduated Romney was Governor and Obama was President. Clearly that's what I meant SMH

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ugh, you people. From the time they graduated to where they are today. Fucking christ. Or are you implying I also meant that the day they graduated Romney was Governor and Obama was President. Clearly that's what I meant SMH

bIU4s.jpg

Also, maybe in your world Romney and Obama had an equal chance of attending Harvard in the first place, or succeeding in politics, or being wealthy, but in my world argleflarblederplefuck

Kosmo, you literally moved the goalposts of the potential for bootstrap success all the way to the eventual success. You are AMAZING. I salute you.

Dram

Arizona GOP Favorite Doesn’t Want Middle Easterners In U.S. ‘Legally Or Illegally’

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/gabriela_saucedo_mercer_middle_easterners.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Gabriela Saucedo Mercer hasn’t even won the Republican primary for Congress in Arizona yet, but she is already facing attacks from the Democratic Congressman she is hoping to unseat in November over some incendiary comments she made in the past about Middle Eastern immigrants.

In an interview with a conservative website earlier this year, Saucedo Mercer talked in depth about her views on immigration. A Mexican immigrant herself who became a U.S. citizen, she said the issue was important because people from places other than Mexico were among those coming across the border illegally.

“That includes Chinese, Middle Easterners,” she said. “If you know Middle Easterners, a lot of them, they look Mexican or they look, you know, like a lot of people in South America, dark skin, dark hair, brown eyes. And they mix. They mix in.

“And those people, their only goal in life is to, to cause harm to the United States. So why do we want them here, either legally or illegally? When they come across the border, besides the trash that they leave behind, the drug smuggling, the killings, the beheadings. I mean, you are seeing stuff. It’s a war out there.”

Saucedo Mercer was facing fellow Republican Jaime Vasquez in Tuesday’s primary in Arizona’s 3rd congressional district, with the results due later tonight. But her supporters and opponents both clearly expect her to win.

She has been endorsed by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R), who is scheduled to attend a fundraiser for Saucedo Mercer on Sept. 12 in Tucson, Ariz. She was also facing attacks from the campaign of Rep. Raul Grijalva, the Democrat she is trying to unseat.

In the interview, Saucedo Mercer also commented on the religious affiliations of some of some immigrants who were crossing the border illegally. She said evidence of Muslims crossing the border were found in the desert in Arizona.

“They have found prayer rugs. They have found copies of the Quran,” she said. “So that tells you this is not just poor illegals who are trying to come to this country and find work. It’s bigger than that.”

eznark

Banned
Been all over that state though, Evansville, Rushville, Gnaw Bone, Bloomington, never went North much, pretty boring state overall, but still have close friends there.

They really hate unions there, when I visited for the Superbowl (not to go, just hang-out), didn't recall that sentiment from my time living there, seemed to me a new thing. Everyone is still uber-friendly however.

My friend is always raving about how awesome Indy is and wants me to try and move down there. I hate the rest of that state, though I'm sure Indy is cool.

As long as you stay south of Indy there really isn't anything to hate. Pretty boring place all in all with lots of good land cheap.

The unions stuff happened for the most part before I got here. Mitch had already broken them, the opposition to right to work was mostly illusory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom