• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasRaven

Schweitzer, Gov from Montana, is against gun control. He's pretty popular, from what I remember.

I've been calling a Clinton/Schweitzer ticket for a year now. He's the way to lock the West IMO.
If we had more, better, AZ Democrats ready I'd be pushing for them, but we don't... yet.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Are we debating which of two Harvard Law graduates had the more privileged upbringing or a better chance in life? I'd say from the point they graduated, it's a draw - both a multi-millionaires, one was a governor, one is President. What's the point?

Is that even a debate? Holy fucking false equivalency.

As long as you stay south of Indy there really isn't anything to hate. Pretty boring place all in all with lots of good land cheap.
My family vacationed in Indiana a couple times. I'm still not really sure how that's possible. The Indiana dunes are neat, though...

Kosmo

Banned
Also, maybe in your world Romney and Obama had an equal chance of attending Harvard in the first place, or succeeding in politics, or being wealthy, but in my world argleflarblederplefuck

Kosmo, you literally moved the goalposts of the potential for bootstrap success all the way to the eventual success. You are AMAZING. I salute you.

I actually think Obama should be applauded as a matter of saluting achievement for making it all the way to President, regardless of if I agree with his politics or whether I think there is some fishy things in his background. It's the media's job to expose those sorts of things if they exist, not the candidate's.

That being said, it's 2012 - why is who had a more privileged upbringing of any relevance in this election?

what do you mean, YOU PEOPLE

Liberal GAF Obamabots who will parse every word to find a meaning that clearly was not implied.

Schweitzer, Gov from Montana, is against gun control. He's pretty popular, from what I remember.

Yep, that is another name I've heard. Didn't he speak at the last DNC? If not they really should be grooming more Mid West and similar states.

What does a being a gun person entail?
A lot more votes than not being one garners.

I've been calling a Clinton/Schweitzer ticket for a year now. He's the way to lock the West IMO.
If we had more, better, AZ Democrats ready I'd be pushing for them, but we don't... yet.
Yeah, I think of any geographic area of the country those are the best, besides the South possibly. Not West or North East.

codhand

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/08/coal_miners_lost_pay_when_mitt.html

Coal miners lost pay when Mitt Romney visited their mine to promote coal jobs

A group of employees who feared they'd be fired if they didn't attend the campaign rally in Beallsville, Ohio, complained about it to WWVA radio station talk show host David Blomquist. Blomquist discussed their beefs on the air Monday with Murray Energy Chief Financial Officer Rob Moore.

Moore told Blomquist that managers "communicated to our workforce that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend." He said the company did not penalize no-shows.

lol can't make this up

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That being said, it's 2012 - why is who had a more privileged upbringing of any relevance in this election?

Because the very privileged have warped our entire society to benefit themselves at the expense of the very poor. It has inverted our economy and will cause long-term damage to the country. It also - and this is the part you should care most about - rewards mediocrity with success, in converse to the conservative and libertopian ideals of excellence. Does Romney strike you as a particularly insightful or intelligent person? Did Dubya?

This is a nonpartisan issue, but luckily most of the Kennedys we might have otherwise had inflicted on us expried doing stupid shit. But you'd have to be fucking retarded to think there aren't more conservative bluebloods waiting in the wings, than democratic or liberal ones.

I actually think Obama should be applauded as a matter of saluting achievement for making it all the way to President, regardless of if I agree with his politics or whether I think there is some fishy things in his background. It's the media's job to expose those sorts of things if they exist, not the candidate's.

Liberal GAF Obamabots who will parse every word to find a meaning that clearly was not implied.

Jesus christ. Fishy things? Give me a fucking break you nut.

Also, why is it relevant? I don't know, the fact that someone who has had absolutely no experience in the lower social circles is trying to tell the American public what's best for them? It's fucking relevant as shit.

Kosmo

Banned
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/08/coal_miners_lost_pay_when_mitt.html

"Coal miners lost pay when Mitt Romney visited their mine to promote coal jobs"

lol can't make this up

I suppose it's not as bad as missing your chemotherapy.

On Tuesday, September 4th, the DNC will officially kick off. Tens of thousands from around the world will head to the Queen City and there’s no secret, the convention will have a major impact locally, including on people battling cancer.

Matthews resident Sue Falco is fighting stage four colon cancer, and says the DNC will force a major cancer treatment center to close. Carolina’s Hematology Oncology Associates on South Tryon will close for four days during the DNC, because of security and traffic concerns…

“I’m very fortunate that I can drive myself to and from chemotherapy but I know a lot of people depend on family members who have to drive a distance to get to their therapy,” she said.

Democrats are arranging transportation for those who wish to view Obama’s speech. It is unclear if Democrats will also arrange transportation for the displaced cancer patients receiving critical treatments for their life-threatening conditions.

Also, why is it relevant? I don't know, the fact that someone who has had absolutely no experience in the lower social circles is trying to tell the American public what's best for them? It's fucking relevant as shit.

More or less relevant than someone with no executive experience running the largest economy in the world? We can go on all day at this - best we move on.

President Obama leads Mitt Romney by 2 points in Iowa, the state where Obama won the nation’s first caucus in 2008, according to a new poll . That’s down from a 5-point lead in PPP’s July poll, and a 10-point lead in May.

Obama gets 47 percent of the vote among likely voters and Romney gets 45 percent in the poll from Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling. Voters disapprove of the job the president is doing by a 45 approve/50 disapprove split. Romney has made great strides on his personal rating — he’s improved from a 37 favorable/55 percent unfavorable split in PPP’s July poll to a 47 favorable/48 percent unfavorable rating now.

“Barack Obama’s lead in Iowa has steadily declined in our polling over the last three months,” said Dean Debnam, president of PPP, said in a release. “He still has a narrow advantage, but it’s clear that the state deserves its perceived swing state status.”

Overall the presidential race in Iowa is extremely close in the PollTracker Average of all public polling, with the president up 0.7 percent in the Hawkeye State.
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...-in-iowa-falls-to-2-points.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Seems like Obama's numbers are cratering everywhere except Florida

pigeon

Banned
The horror.

Mostly what I learned about Native Hawaiians at Punahou was to hate them for always beating us at sports at THEIR fancy subsidized prep school.

Seriously, I mean, in a sense this is true in that when I came to the mainland I was flabbergasted at the fact that mainland Americans, by at large, have no idea that Hawaii was usurped by American businessmen and forcibly converted into a territory, and that Native Hawaiians are still kind of mad about that. So, yeah. But I bet if you went to high school in the Southwest you would be "indoctrinated with views sympathetic towards Hispanics," as well. That's just what the history of manifest destiny does to people!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Conservative Gaf proves the old adage that there's no such thing as a conservative sense of humor. There's just Victoria Jackson

Allard

Wow. GOP might as well start throwing the N-word around if they're not even using dog-whistle tactics.

The reason its getting to this point is the establishment is too damn afraid of actually combating the fringes within which allows people like this to get the 'courage' to spout absolutely disgusting nonsense without too much internal fighting against their view point or statement. There are plenty of decent republicans and politicians but they are not the shouters, they are not leaders of the party, and those that might disagree with the fringe privately; cowardly become silent about the fringes when they get attention and even try to use their words as a dog-whistle when they are down in their parties polls (Romney). In many ways perhaps the dems have done it too much but the one thing you can't hold against them this past generation is the fringe taking over their party. Whenever someone says something publicly upsetting, the establishment is usually the first to throw that person under the bus even in some cases when the persons statements were taken grossly out of context to paint them in a negative manner (Shirley Sherrod). This is obviously a completely different problem in itself but it does keep elements like we have seen in the GOP from showing up in the opposite fringes.

codhand

Explain how a pro gun Democrat could be a negative?

I just mean I asked a question and you responded with...smarmy smarm. Pro gun democrat, fine with me. Still not sure wtf a gun-person is. It could mean for example you like to shoot guns, or it could mean you like to carry them around when you're grocery shopping, or it could mean you fear home invasion/end-times and have a basement full of them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Because the very privileged have warped our entire society to benefit themselves at the expense of the very poor. It has inverted our economy and will cause long-term damage to the country. It also - and this is the part you should care most about - rewards mediocrity with success, in converse to the conservative and libertopian ideals of excellence. Does Romney strike you as a particularly insightful or intelligent person? Did Dubya?

This is a nonpartisan issue, but luckily most of the Kennedys we might have otherwise had inflicted on us expried doing stupid shit. But you'd have to be fucking retarded to think there aren't more conservative bluebloods waiting in the wings, than democratic or liberal ones.

That does bring up a good question. If Obama loves poor people so much, why is he rich? HMMM?

That does bring up a good question. If Obama loves poor people so much, why is he rich? HMMM?

Actually, was Obama even a millionaire before he won the Presidency? Seems he was making a good salary in the Senate I suppose, but did he ever reach a million before his name became a brand?

I just mean I asked a question and you responded with...smarmy smarm.
More just a quick reply.

Pro gun democrat, fine with me. Still not sure wtf a gun-person is. It could mean for example you like to shoot guns, or it could mean you like to carry them around when you're grocery shopping, or it could mean you fear home invasion/end-times and have a basement full of them.
Hunting background, against pointless bans on guns "because they look evil"/ hi cap mag bans/online ammo, allowing the Korean M1 Garands and Carbines to be reimported, pro carry, against additional unnecessarily regulations, etc.

Doesn't like Bloomberg lol

Personally I'd love for a reply of the Hughes Amendment, large chunks of the 1968 GCA, the 1989 Bush Sr Semi Auto ban or even 922(r), but I'm realistic.

eznark

Banned
I honestly don't know, that's why I'm asking. Not that I care, they were obviously well off, but I was just curious.

Me either! Let's speculate in ignorance together. I bet she made fat stacks of cash. Plus Obama was a Chicago politician so you know he was greasy as balls. He probably has a freezer full of money in one of his many 1%-er mansions.

sangreal

Michelle Obama was definitely pulling in a few hundred thousand as a hospital administrator and Barack was a millionaire from his book sales

AniHawk

Me either! Let's speculate in ignorance together. I bet she made fat stacks of cash. Plus Obama was a Chicago politician so you know he was greasy as balls. He probably has a freezer full of money in one of his many 1%-er mansions.

he's gotta be careful not to get those freezers mixed up with the ones with bodies in them.

I chuckled.

eznark

Banned
According to the couple’s 2006 income tax return, her salary was $273,618 from the University of Chicago Hospitals, while her husband had a salary of $157,082 from the United States Senate. The Obamas' total income, however, was $991,296, which included $51,200 she earned as a member of the board of directors of TreeHouse Foods, and investments and royalties from his books.[52]

I'm not even sure what we were talking about, but the Obama's were doing ok for themselves.

he's gotta be careful not to get those freezers mixed up with the ones with bodies in them.
UAV's leave no bodies.

Measley

Um, there's a big difference between coming from middle class (or working class in the case of Michelle) and becoming a millionaire to being born a millionaire and having a trust fund waiting for you.

It's like when people consider Donald Trump a "self made man" when he inherited 600 million from his father.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Um, there's a big difference between coming from middle class (or working class in the case of Michelle) and becoming a millionaire to being born a millionaire and having a trust fund waiting for you.

It's like when people consider Donald Trump a "self made man" when he inherited 600 million from his father.

This is basically the difference to me. Its not about if Obama was ever rich, its about if Obama was ever not rich.

RDreamer

Wow

B5pBX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom