• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranciful

I honestly can't fathom young republicans. I can't, especially in my social circles. Several keep posting on FB about how they love watching the convention and how excited they are for Romney to win.

But these same young people...

-Support gay rights
-Believe in evolution
-Are mostly agnostic
-Are anti-war
-Are socially and ethnically inviting (one girl is a fan of black men, I know for a fact--PD I'll getcha a number)

So the fact that these people turn a blind eye to blatant racism, anti-gay rights, and increased defense spending simply because "I'm rich, yay!"mis absolutely sickening. I keep going back to Patton Oswalt. As he said, if you're not rich, how the fuck can you support this platform?

They buy into the GOP's bullshit about how they'll handle the debt and how they'll let the private sector save everything.

They buy into the GOP's bullshit about how they'll handle the debt and how they'll let the private sector save everything.

That's the ONLY thing they pay attention to, when must of it is disproven bullshit anyway.

Also worth noting, all these kids? Rich as fuck parents, floating/floated through college on their parents paying for it totally.

One kid was wired 70 grand to buy a car for himself. Just fucking because. Makes me furious.

tranciful

That's the ONLY thing they pay attention to, when must of it is disproven bullshit anyway.

Also worth noting, all these kids? Rich as fuck parents, floating/floated through college on their parents paying for it totally.

One kid was wired 70 grand to buy a car for himself. Just fucking because. Makes me furious.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that -- but yeah, most of the time it's just what their parents taught them.

The constant association of republicans with racism is tiring. What does Eastwood's role in Gran Torino (which is more of a redemption tale) have to do with republicans, outside of insinuating that they're also racists who don't want Those People on their lawn?

This bullshit is being co-signed by mods, and you can bet your ass that if conservatives were making factually inaccurate claims that incited the forum they would be banned. It's pathetic, not just from the mods but from posters who waltz into threads and make bold, large statements about all republicans being racist.

Maybe the modern Republican party should not have been founded on wooing white Southerners dejected by the Democratic party's embrace of civil rights and integration. That could have made a difference.

Imagine for a moment that you truly, honestly believe in supply-side economics, and that tax cuts for the rich combined with austerity will save the American economy.

Surely saving the economy and getting everyone back to work will do more to help the poor, minorities, etc than the Dems' failed plans will, yes?

Also, social attitudes will eventually catch up regardless of the flailing on the fringe.

None of these people know fuck-all about supply side economics. The only thing they know about anything relating to the economy is something Ayn Rand wrote.

kljhasdfjkasdf its frustrating

Most depressing thing in this thread. Gran Torino was maybe the worst movie Clint ever made, and I saw Mystic River! Just another Dances With Wolves, except in Detroit, and with a bonus fridging of the only major female character. I wanted my two days worth of my Netflix subscription back.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of his, but he was laughable in that movie. I couldn't even get through it, but it wasn't all Eastwood's fault. It had the subtlety of an after school special.

Kosmo

Banned
The "Republicans are racists!" talk always amuses me, when it's the Democrats who are the first to jump on any black conservative as an Uncle Tom or a "house nigger and dirty worthless whore" (as Mia Love's Wikipedia was briefly changed to after her speech last night). It's as if to say "We love black people, so long as they keep voting for us!"

Are there any black Republicans of note who have not been vilified by the left? Colin Powell was given somewhat of a reprieve when he voted for Obama, but aside from that, I don't know if I can think of any.

Are there racist Republicans? Yes.
Are there racist Democrats? Yes.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The "Republicans are racists!" talk always amuses me, when it's the Democrats who are the first to jump on any black conservative as an Uncle Tom or a "house nigger and dirty worthless whore" (as Mia Love's Wikipedia was briefly changed to after her speech last night). It's as if to say "We love black people, so long as they keep voting for us!"

Are there any black Republicans of note who have not been vilified by the left? Colin Powell was given somewhat of a reprieve when he voted for Obama, but aside from that, I don't know if I can think of any.

oh god

Oh, NOW you want to respond to one of my tangents? I'm still waiting for your insight and what kind atmosphere would allow someone to feel comfortable with throwing nuts and saying "this is how we feed the animals" to a black woman at the convention.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Great point. Both parties are equally inclusive and there's no issue of racism in the current makeup of the GOP platform, base and election plan.

jesus christ Kosmo.

Colin Powell has always had my respect. Same as Condi, even though I thoroughly dislike her actions during the Bush years.

Condi was constantly accused of Uncle Tom shit and you know it. I'll give Bush credit for at least propping up some genuinely smart black republicans, even if I disagree with them on many issues.

The OT has become nearly insufferable as we see thread after thread focused on anti-Romney or "republicans are racist" threads.

Condi was constantly accused of Uncle Tom shit and you know it. I'll give Bush credit for at least propping up some genuinely smart black republicans, even if I disagree with them on many issues.

The OT has become nearly insufferable as we see thread after thread focused on anti-Romney or "republicans are racist" threads.

I'll take your word for it on Condi as I honestly don't remember much from those years, being pretty young and all. But I always seemed to like her in the surface.

But seriously PD, are you just gonna drive by and say this shit and not respond to Stinkles?

Jeez. I'd spend 5,000 on a decent used car and spend the rest on hookers and blow.

Gaf is very progressive. WTF do you expect?

Jeez. I'd spend 5,000 on a decent used car and spend the rest on hookers and blow.

The kicker is we live in a city with decent public transportation and he was still a year away from graduating...while living on campus.

I'd use the entire amount to pay off my student loans –oh WAIT! He didn't have any. SMH

Kosmo

Banned
I'll take your word for it on Condi as I honestly don't remember much from those years, being pretty young and all. But I always seemed to like her in the surface.

But seriously PD, are you just gonna drive by and say this shit and not respond to Stinkles?

Even Al Sharpton said of Rice and Powell "I don't know that they're viewed as House Negroes. But they're in the house and the rest of us are in the field."

codhand

Most depressing thing in this thread. Gran Torino was maybe the worst movie Clint ever made, and I saw Mystic River!

top-10-monkey-movies-20080714111054973.jpg

Also these McCain interviews; he is a recalcitrant old bastard. It's your birthday John, lighten up or you won't have many more.

I'm sorry but institutional and tacit racism (and Jingoism) is actually built into their fucking platform and their election strategy, so even generalizing is fair. If you call yourself a republican, look at the policies and platform. If you don't like them, change affiliation.

They do not need you jumping to their defense, they need you calling them on this corrosive bullshit they keep doubling down on.

You are all over the place. I sometimes think an office room uses your account, not an individual.

So let me get this straight, you're saying the republican party is racist right? There are too many people in the party, or any party, to label them bigots or racists in general. Not every republican agrees with Jan Brewer on immigration - more than a few side with Rick Perry's brand of treating the issue humanely, or Jeb Bush's.

Nice with the last sentence of bullshit, trying to get me banned. Cute. My policy views are quite stable. My political views are clear. I'm not going to demonize republicans on race, it's pathetic.

Clevinger

So let me get this straight, you're saying the republican party is racist right? There are too many people in the party, or any party, to label them bigots or racists in general. Not every republican agrees with Jan Brewer on immigration - more than a few side with Rick Perry's brand of treating the issue humanely, or Jeb Bush's.

I don't agree with what they're saying, but then why call a party any adjective when there's always going to be a minority of dissenters on that view?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Nice with the last sentence of bullshit, trying to get me banned. Cute. My policy views are quite stable. My political views are clear. I'm not going to demonize republicans on race, it's pathetic.

1. I am not trying to get you banned. That's ridiculous. I bet one of your officemates typed that.
2. When did I say every republican individual was racist? As a matter of fact I very clearly delineated the difference between people and parties and positions and platforms. At this point in time, the GOP is running on and benefitting from thinly veiled racist energy, policies, platform and election strategy. If you are refuting that, then please go into more detail instead of erecting a straw man about "people." And you're completely ignoring those points and starting a victimhood complex.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/breaking-john-mccain-just-blew-his-brains-out-duri,29369/

Does anyone else think that perhaps The Onion might be going a bit too far in some of the articles? I agree with the general sentiment but having all these articles about murder and death to prove a point feel excessive even to me.... I still laughed at the Gay Marine one though, as I agree that it does portray the underlining message of the first day quite well: Hate with a smiling face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom