• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Sorry I was in a meeting so this might have been touched on but this is incredibly hypocritical. Obama was going to bring a "new level of transparency" to government and as soon as his AG gets into some trouble he executive orders the documentation. It's absolutely a cover-up. Calling it anything else is semantics.

I fully expect it from Republicans who have no problems with trampling the rule of law in the name of national security, but when you ride the white horse of transparency into the Oval Office, maybe you should at least pretend to value said transparency?

Huh? I never said the John Doe stuff would explode.

eznark, you know I love you dude -- we have that baseball thing and some playful football banter once in a while, but you gotta be better than this.

Transparency does not equal giving up state secrets, and while we all know that Obama has let a lot of us down with this particular pledge, couching it terms of a "white knight" and a "coverup" tells me you need to take a couple hours away from the 'net. It's rotting your brain dude.

I'm not saying there is no use-case for it, there are and have been in the past. Concealing information into a DoJ gun walking program meant to ensnare Mexican cartels has no national security implications.

How do you know?

Kosmo

Banned
Clinton, GWB both exercised the executive privilege. I like how the term suddenly means Chairman Obamao exercising total authority.

One issue, why the Executive Privilege if:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20116716-10391695.html

Mr. Obama said that Holder has indicated he was not aware of the controversial tactic known as "letting guns walk." The president added, "Certainly I was not (aware)."

The president also said that both he and Holder would have been "very unhappy" if somebody had suggested that guns were allowed to cross the border, and that could have been prevented.

Transparency does not equal giving up state secrets, and while we all know that Obama has let a lot of us down with this particular pledge, couching it terms of a "white knight" and a "coverup" tells me you need to take a couple hours away from the 'net. It's rotting your brain dude.

Cognitive dissonance, much?

ToxicAdam

This is just more tit-for-tat bullshit that has ruined Washington. One side does something shady, than the other side uses it as cover down the road when they decide to use it. Then it just progressively spirals downward through the years.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is just more tit-for-tat bullshit that has ruined Washington. One side does something shady, than the other side uses it as cover down the road when they decide to use it. Then it just progressively spirals downward through the years.

I'll sign onto this.

eznark, you know I love you dude -- we have that baseball thing and some playful football banter once in a while, but you gotta be better than this.

I don't know if you're the best person to be telling people to back away from their computers if you're going to claim that attempting to conceal a DOJ fuckup rises to the level of "state secrets."

Brooksian tone of this aside, I agree.

eznark

Banned

How do you know?

Spin me this yarn of yours that you have concocted in your head that allows you to rationalize the use of executive privilege in this instance.

What about this DoJ operation could possibly be considered a national secret?

Also, why would he wait until the day of Holder's contempt hearing which conveniently provides him cover for refusing to turn over those documents?

Chumly said:
Your complained for months about the witch hunt of the John doe investigation and now your diving head first into this?

I'm not following what the John Doe investigation has to do with the exercise of executive privilege by the president?

I also never really complained about it. I said that if Walker is brought into it he would lose the recall election and laughed about Shuster claiming Walker would be indicted the week before the election. I also said that after two+ years it was probably not going to find anything on Walker. No complaints there.

Also, completely unrelated to this story.

kehs

Banned
Spin me this yarn of yours that you have concocted in your head that allows you to rationalize the use of executive privilege in this instance.

What about this DoJ operation could possibly be considered a national secret?

Also, why would he wait until the day of Holder's contempt hearing which conveniently provides him cover for refusing to turn over those documents?

You can't imagine there being details or information that happened within an operation on the border, that would involve international things?

eznark

Banned
^ That's why the good lord invented big ass black markers

I'm imagining that the documents include names of informants, CIA ops, stuff like that. I dunno, just guessing.

Information (names, locations, future ops) is redacted all of the time. This isn't redacting information, it's concealing entire documents which presumably contradict Holder's sworn statements to elected officials whose job it is to oversee the actions of government law enforcement.

What in this nations history makes you think it's a good idea to give covert foreign operations the benefit of the doubt?

gcubed

Information (names, locations, future ops) is redacted all of the time. This isn't redacting information, it's concealing entire documents which presumably contradict Holder's sworn statements to elected officials whose job it is to oversee the actions of government law enforcement.

What in this nations history makes you think it's a good idea to give covert foreign operations the benefit of the doubt?

If you aren't over 30 its all you've ever known.

kehs

Banned

Then it would just be "why are the entire pages redacted and blacked out? They might as well have not given anything".

Why is the presumption guilt anyways?

codhand

Everyone agrees with your basic point, that this is teh shady transparency. So spare us the "at least" BS

Also in that video he states "there doesn't seem to be any issue of National Security involved" so we should at least assume he thinks that there is NS risk in FnF. But we will never know,
until maybe when he is out of office and indicted by a conservatives.

Kosmo

Banned
Listening to the testimony and like clockwork Lacy Clay-D Iowa comes in with basically "Bush's fault."

Never change Dems.

Way to turn a completely irrelevant story into a major news item, Obama. What the fuck

If this is a case of them not wanting to reveal names of undercover agents, why not just invite Issa and one other republican to see the documents? It's not like they have to send them directly to his office and open the possibility of a leak

gcubed

Way to turn a completely irrelevant story into a major news item, Obama. What the fuck

If this is a case of them not wanting to reveal names of undercover agents, why not just invite Issa and one other republican to see the documents? It's not like they have to send them directly to his office and open the possibility of a leak

i'm pretty sure they said they would give Issa the documents if doing so met his subpeona's. Issa seems to be pulling a GOP move from the stories i've been reading today.

"We want this"
"OK we will give this, does this satisfy your subponeas?"
"But we want this too"
"Ok we will give this, does this satisfy your subponeas?"
"Well, we dont know what we want, so we can't tell you everything until we see everything that we could possibly see"

Although i could be misinterpreting

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

1. Obama's doomed!
2. This is all predicated on the idea that this is more than a witch hunt. There's two sides to that game.

Exercising executive privilege in this manner is not a knock against Obama's transparency pledge. He is using it to stop Republicans from scoring cheap political points. They have already turnover numerous documents. This is just like white water where Clinton had to instruct the DoJ to appoint a special prosecutor. He later admitted this was the worse mistake he ever made because Ken Star began investigating stuff that was unrelated. This just like the 90s where Republicans want to give the administration a black eye. There is nothing else to this because one just has to ask the question: What purpose does it server to hold the AG in contempt for a program started in a previous administration and he did not directly know about? I would say this is a holdover from Watergate where every Congress since then has tried to bring real or imagine dirt on an administration.

eznark

Banned
Exercising executive privilege in this manner is not a knock against Obama's transparency pledge. He is using it to stop Republicans from scoring cheap political points. They have already turnover numerous documents. This is just like white water where Clinton had to instruct the DoJ to appoint a special prosecutor. He later admitted this was the worse mistake he ever made because Ken Star began investigating stuff that was unrelated. This just like the 90s where Republicans want to give the administration a black eye. There is nothing else to this because one just has to ask the question: What purpose does it server to hold the AG in contempt for a program started in a previous administration and he did not directly know about? I would say this is a holdover from Watergate where every Congress since then has tried to bring real or imagine dirt on an administration.

lol

Valerie Plame ring a bell.

I wouldn't want these guys looking at any sensitive documents.

If it's a witch hunt, why issue executive privilege? Why not just stonewall and ignore the requests
It's to stop Republicans from digging down a rabbit hole into unrelated matters. Example being White Water to trial for perjury.
Nice reply. Holder wasn't running the program. You think the AG knows every little thing his attorneys are doing? He probably found out when shit hit the fan, and it was moved up the chain of command.
You guys should get a job working for this filmmaker (video at bottom) - skip to 1:35:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pie...-documentary-director-finds-prez-too-perfect/
I'm going to let you know that people here are not going to click on a link to Glen Beck's site.

That's a clown assertion, bro

Bush used executive privilege six times, Clinton used it 14 times; this is Obama's first. That doesn't mean nothing has been done wrong here, but neither does the fact that Holder gave them "thousands" of documents absolve Holder. I'm sure anyone who has a job knows their company (if they actually had the power to) could turn over a bunch of documents on just about any issue, and still not provide the correct one. Certainly the government can avalanche paper better than anyone.

Kosmo

Banned
Nice reply. Holder wasn't running the program. You think the AG knows every little thing his attorneys are doing? He probably found out when shit hit the fan, and it was moved up the chain of command.

When the AG is read an email between two of his top attorneys that DIRECTLY mentions Fast and Furious and he sits there and says it does not refer to Fast and Furious, it's willful delusion.

eznark

Banned
It's to stop Republicans from digging down a rabbit hole into unrelated matters. Example being White Water to trial for perjury.

I'm going to let you know that people here are not going to click on a link to Glen Beck's site.

If you've been following the proceedings at all, there has been enough documentation provided to Issa's goons that prove Holder absolutely knew about this program and knew about it prior to the death of the agent (as good a break point as any for feces-to-fan). That's hardly in dispute any longer.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
When the AG is read an email between two of his top attorneys that DIRECTLY mentions Fast and Furious and he sits there and says it does not refer to Fast and Furious, it's willful delusion.

This is a conspiracy theory worthy of the truthers suggesting that Bush knew the attack was coming and went on vacation anyway just because there was some official memo that everyone knows he read.

Kosmo

Banned
This is a conspiracy theory worthy of the truthers suggesting that Bush knew the attack was coming and went on vacation anyway just because there was some official memo that everyone knows he read.

The email was read to Holder in a hearing, not some mythical email in the ether Republicans are accusing him of reading, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

That's a clown assertion, bro

Bush used executive privilege six times, Clinton used it 14 times; this is Obama's first. That doesn't mean nothing has been done wrong here, but neither does the fact that Holder gave them "thousands" of documents absolve Holder. I'm sure anyone who has a job knows their company (if they actually had the power to) could turn over a bunch of documents on just about any issue, and still not provide the correct one. Certainly the government can avalanche paper better than anyone.

Libertarians believe the private sector can do it better.

eznark

Banned

huh? The email and the exchange Kosmo is referring to was on C-SPAN. Are you suggesting C-SPAN doctored live footage as it was being aired? Now THAT is some Ventura-level conspiracy crazy.

Exactly. How many emails do you think Holder gets? He gets one about an operation that is working as intended. What is he suppose to do? Then shit happens and an appropriate response is made.

Diablos

Pretty interesting stuff:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/electionate/104109/obamas-challenge-young-white-voters

6a00d83451c45669e2017615a2d803970c-250wi

Young voters continue to hold socially progressive views, at least in comparison to their parents and grandparents, but cultural issues have not translated into sustained support for Democrats.
YOUNG PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

aslfshadfhasdlfksa

Even if this data does have some hiccups, the notion that young white voters are supporting Romney over Obama is just ridiculous. I want to see more data from other sources. There has to be. Where is it, PoliGAF?! :|

eznark

Banned
YOUNG PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

aslfshadfhasdlfksa

Even if this data does have some hiccups, the notion that young white voters are supporting Romney over Obama is just ridiculous. I want to see more data from other sources. There has to be. Where is it, PoliGAF?! :|

That was based on pre pro-Gay Obama polling data. I am betting that won back a lot of young, white support for him.

Crisco

Banned
The whole war on drugs has been one giant fuck up after another so I really could care less about this specific fuck up. What's interesting is whether or not this was a good move politically by Obama. On the one hand, it drags his name into the whole mess and opens him up to accusations of "cover up". But let's be realistic, the general public doesn't care about Mexicans and or headlines with "Fast & Furious" in them. What this executive order does is essentially put an expiration date of a few more days on an issue that could have lasted months. The contempt charges will go no where and Issa will be forced to drop the whole thing by the end the month.

Chichikov

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...ege_on_fast_and_furious_documents.php?ref=fpa

Btw, claiming executive privilege is hardly a "cover up." Good god, hyperventilate much?
It is a cover up.
Oh, but we have to take them at their word, because they know best and never wrong about anything.

And fuck the whole "the only way to have candid discussion is to do it in secret".
This was bullshit when Cheney and co. did it, and it's bullshit now.

I hope it blows in Obama's face, not because I want him to lose, but because I think the executive needs some humbling from congress.
They work for us, they have to tell us what they do in our name, otherwise, we can't evaluate them.
I can understand that there might be some sensitive information there (though I'm always doubtful of such claims), but there are people in congress with high clearance, they can make that call, not the White House.

Also, fuck Eric Holder.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The executive needs some humbling from Congress all right!

090915_wilson1_ap_322_regular.jpg

The whole war on drugs has been one giant fuck up after another so I really could care less about this specific fuck up. What's interesting is whether or not this was a good move politically by Obama. On the one hand, it drags his name into the whole mess and opens him up to accusations of "cover up". But let's be realistic, the general public doesn't care about Mexicans and or headlines with "Fast & Furious" in them. What this executive order does is essentially put an expiration date of a few more days on an issue that could have lasted months. The contempt charges will go no where and Issa will be forced to drop the whole thing by the end the month.

Whoa whoa whoa where is this logical and well thought-out response coming from?

Again, if there's something here, we'll know about it shortly. I don't think there is. The bigger danger is that it reinforces Romney's anti-immigration policy and makes Obama's recent announcement that much more prominent. Considering that Romney is doing anything he can to avoid talking about it, I'm guessing that Crisco here is right, and the heads that be let this go a way before the end of the week.

Kosmo

Banned
Exactly. How many emails do you think Holder gets? He gets one about an operation that is working as intended. What is he suppose to do? Then shit happens and an appropriate response is made.

Watch the testimony

The email states "Fast and Furious" and he claims that it's only referring to "Laura's Tucson case" (also known as Wide Receiver) when the text clearly states "Fast and Furious AND Laura' Tucson case" - two separate things.

You guys have to be close to the balls by now.

eznark

Banned
I hope when Gary Johnson wins and throws his principles out the window I don't turn into a groveling goof willing to rationalize and defend anything he does.

That Ryan Braun thing was totally a witch hunt though.

Diablos

That was based on pre pro-Gay Obama polling data. I am betting that won back a lot of young, white support for him.
If they're socially liberal but leaning R because of the importance of economic issues, as the site suggests, that might not matter as much this year.

It's the economy stupid, etc. But LOL at young whites finishing school and thinking Romney is going to do a better job helping them find something to do with their degrees/training/whatever. lmao. I continue to smh at the utter stupidity of the electorate.

markatisu

Never realized this before but the GOP apparently has an Asian problem as well if a new study is to be believed

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/asianamericans/

The study shows that, from 2000-2010, the annual arrival of Hispanic immigrants declined from 59% of all immigrants to 31%, while Asian immigrants increased from 19% to 36%.

Overall, the Asian-American population in America reached a record 18.2 million in 2011, bringing the demographic to 5.8% of the U.S. population -- a surge from 1% in 1965.

By comparison, however, there are 52 million Latinos in the U.S., or 16% of the population.

Politically, Asian Americans in the U.S. tend to vote Democratic. According to Pew, half of them are Democrats or lean toward the Democratic Party; only 28% identify as Republicans.

Asian Americans also view President Obama in a more favorable light, with a 54% approving of his job versus 44% for the general public who do. According to 2008 Election Day exit polls, Asian Americans supported Obama over John McCain by a 62%-35% margin.

On a broader political ideology scale, 55% of Asian Americans prefer a larger government with more services, while only 36% support a smaller government. Those numbers for the general populace are essentially reversed, with 52% supporting small government and 39% favoring bigger government.

When it comes to social issues, Asian Americans support same-sex marriage by a 53%-35% margin, and 54% believe abortion should be legal (versus 37% who say it should be illegal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom