• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zargle

At some point Obama needs to get a few pointers from standup comedians on how to handle heckling. Not Kramer, obviously, but there has to be a dignified way to destroy these people's career (Joe Wilson, this guy, etc).

I was just thinking about that. I have a couple standup friends and watching them destroy hecklers (who, of course, are generally a bit more inebriated than those guys) is a great time, and thankfully rare as well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
There's no way Obama will legalize pot. Just going by his stance on gay marriage vs. opinion polls, we still need about 10-15% growth in pot legalization popularity before our beloved leader discovers that he's evolved on the issue.

Measley

I'm also curious how white voters will respond to this. There could be an opening here for Romney in terms of arguing Obama has a jobs plan for illegal immigrants but no plan for actual Americans (note: I know Obama has a jobs plan). Given the state of the economy, resentment politics could work here.

Any white voters upset about this weren't going to vote for Obama anyway.

Pretty shocking that the DREAM act passed the house and far all intents and purposes passed the Senate, but got blocked by the GOP.

Our system of government is fucked.

Piecake

You make it sound as if pot is a trivial issue.

It should be since the benefits of legalizing pot far outweigh the negatives. Its not like legalizing it will make it any more readily available to anyone considering that anyone who wants it, minor or adult, can go out and buy/find some quite easily.

Piecake

Obama calling the guy sir cracked me up. Yes, this is the radical anti-values villain the far right is concerned about.

Im more concerned about the values of that conservative blogger/reporter. Very classless and disrespectful. If you dont like or agree with the president, you should at least treat the position of President (when interacting with him face to face) with respect.

Romney's going to have Palin on the ticket? He's going to suspend his campaign over something to sit on the sidelines in meetings about it?

We are talking about the importance of gallup daily tracking poll. And McCain led by 11 points after he picked Palin in one of their daily tracking polls.

I for one do not believe that Obama has this in the bag. The deck is stacked against him.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
We are talking about the importance of gallup daily tracking poll. And McCain led by 11 points after he picked Palin in one of their daily tracking polls.

I for one do not believe that Obama has this in the bag. The deck is stacked against him.

It was stacked for him in 2008. It will be interesting to see this election play itself out. There will definitely be some meltdowns on either side, I presume.

Im more concerned about the values of that conservative blogger/reporter. Very classless and disrespectful. If you dont like or agree with the president, you should at least treat the position of President (when interacting with him face to face) with respect.

I remember when Bush was in president that democrats would get criticized for not treating the position of president with respect even if they didn't agree with him (not necessarily on this board). It's unfortunate that it doesn't apply when the tables are turned.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I remember when Bush was in president that democrats would get criticized for not treating the position of president with respect even if they didn't agree with him (not necessarily on this board). It's unfortunate that it doesn't apply when the tables are turned.

That the two groups are comprised of the same people is what is most upsetting, oftentimes.

Piecake

I have no problems with people calling the president any sort of name or disrespectful comment since free speech and all that, but I do have a problem with it if you are rude and disrespectful in face to face meeting/conversation with the President

Piecake

oh holy shit, LOLO:

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...-a-sketches-on-immigration.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Romney comes out for the DREAM act just weeks after calling it a handout and thinking "self-deportation" would be the best solution.

Republicans: you all do realize you've done this to yourselves, right?

I dont want to see this happen, but I am rather curious as to what policies Romney would actually implement if he became president, because right now its obvious that he will say absolutely anything to become President

siddhu33

Why does Obama get scrutinised for everything he says and does by the media, while Romney can act like a complete scumbag, and get away with it?

I mean, If Obama says something that isn't 100% true, people start to flip. But mittens lies about everything, every day, and nobody in the mainstream media seems to give a shit...

One more thing, about this heckling business:

I guarantee you, if that reporter was black/Hispanic/south Asian, and the president was white, then that reporter would be living on the street right now, after being crucified.

/rant

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Why does Obama get scrutinised for everything he says and does by the media, while Romney can act like a complete scumbag, and get away with it?

I mean, If Obama says something that isn't 100% true, people start to flip. But mittens lies about everything, every day, and nobody in the mainstream media seems to give a shit...

One more thing, about this heckling business:

I guarantee you, if that reporter was black/Hispanic/south Asian, and the president was white, then that reporter would be living on the street right now, after being crucified.

/rant

what a strange rant.

Define mainstream media to me.

The reason why this reporter will not be fired/so-called living on the street is because they come from a conservative nutjob site. If they were repping a legitimate news-source, the reporter invariably would be collecting unemployment next week.

siddhu33

what a strange rant.

Define mainstream media to me.

The reason why this reporter will not be fired/so-called living on the street is because they come from a conservative nutjob site. If they were repping a legitimate news-source, the reporter invariably would be collecting unemployment next week.

I jus feel as if the majority of news programmes (the american news channels i can get over here in the UK anyway)are trying to hype up this election as more than it is: one person who's bribed, versus another one who's bribed by nutjobs...

I wonder how people from such a site get in...
I suppose I should start my own news channel.

if the whole bribing comment offends you, don't worry about it. You guys will see it become a heck of a lot more transparent soon

Had a read of that...
Seems like the usual bullshit to me. Just replace 201x with 198x, and Syria with Iran, and it's pretty similar...

Damn near identical, actually... about the same amount of saber-rattling against Russia and China as you would've seen in the Reagan administration.

Although if it's 1985 all over again, does that mean there's another Back to the Future film incoming?

siddhu33

Damn near identical, actually... about the same amount of saber-rattling against Russia and China as you would've seen in the Reagan administration.

Although if it's 1985 all over again, does that mean there's another Back to the Future film incoming?

No wonder they copied Reagan, I mean, dont the conservatives love him?

Chichikov

oh holy shit, LOLO:

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...-a-sketches-on-immigration.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Romney comes out for the DREAM act just weeks after calling it a handout and thinking "self-deportation" would be the best solution.

Republicans: you all do realize you've done this to yourselves, right?
It's not even the real DREAM act, it's Rubio's fake one, let's call it REVERIE act from now on.
So to recap, Romney reinforce his negative as a flip flopper and all he got in return is a policy that the vast majority of Latinos don't like.

Like I said earlier, Romney is not a leader. He is just a stand in fulfilling a role. Let's not kid ourselves. He will pass whatever pops into Paul Ryan's head. Ryan will be the real power behind the throne, and Romney will never cross him.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I jus feel as if the majority of news programmes (the american news channels i can get over here in the UK anyway)are trying to hype up this election as more than it is: one person who's bribed, versus another one who's bribed by nutjobs...

I wonder how people from such a site get in...
I suppose I should start my own news channel.

if the whole bribing comment offends you, don't worry about it. You guys will see it become a heck of a lot more transparent soon

Well, you see, British outlets don't have the time nor reason to cover every single lie that Romney makes, nor misstep in their campaign. On top of that, MSNBC and CNN devote a lot of their time, as well as CBS, NBC, and ABC news to delineate where Romney is not telling the truth or where he is stretching it. They dont have time to do either explicitly though. The only cheerleaders for Romney in the mainstream media are Fox News and Talk Radio, and even then, I have been shocked by little they care for the guy. They are much more interested in talking down Obama's strengths, pouncing on his weaknesses, and lying/obfuscating his accomplishments than talking about Romney's strengths, his campaign, and so on. For a person to say that they are Romney cheerleaders would show that they obviously do not consume the media they are talking about. Glenn Beck can't talk enough about how milquetoast the guy is, Rush goes on about everyone else, Mark Levin can't stand the guy, etc, etc,etc. This goes on today, even though he is their nominee and he should therefore be a saint by all means, as in years past with every other nominee.

The media has made this election clear: it's not about Romney; it's about Obama and the economy. The GOP nominated the guy nobody wanted but everybody knew would win and now they are focusing the entirety of the election on defeating the opponent, not propping up "their" guy. The problem for Obama is, people who should be repping him are not gung-ho like they were in 2008. Those two factors alone are stacking the deck against Obama this election, but not necessarily for Romney, if that makes sense.

ezekial45

Banned
Has anyone else noticed how sites that deal with pop-culture and media countdown lists seem to veer more to the conservative side in regards to politics?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/politics

I was looking at buzzfeed's politics page and many of the writers there are conservative, and many of the comments on the articles there are from conservatives.

markatisu

Romney says anything to please the people of the moment, media doesn't care.

Media does not need to care, soon people are going to be so confused by Romney that it won't matter.

I can't wait till the debates, millions of people watch those and make up their minds. Its where Obama put away McCain for good and where I think he will end Romney. You cannot be for and against everything and stumble on National TV which is what will happen at the debates

Has anyone else noticed how sites that deal with pop-culture and media countdown lists seem to veer more to the conservative side in regards to politics?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/politics

I was looking at buzzfeed's politics page and many of the writers there are conservative, and many of the comments on the articles there are from conservatives.

Glenn Beck just signed a 5 year $100 million dollar contract.
Catering to conservatives is where the money is at & that's all they care about, money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom