• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
thelma-and-louise.jpg

Obama-Wins_oWuTI.jpg

john-boehner-crying.jpg

mitt21n-1-web.jpg

Lets go

YAS

New year...new drama.

Was hoping for "PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Year 1 of 1000 Years of Darkness" but I suppose you can't have everything

Amir0x

Banned
The way Boehner is handling this Fiscal Cliff situation is so bad that this week was the first time I ever heard the far right nutjob Gary O'Toole from my job say it is actually the Republicans fault for this going the way it is going.

Also, Obama is probably slightly retarded for giving in even a little on his 250,000 or more shit. He had all the leverage from that perspective and he shook his ass on that point for... what?

Confirmed sealed college records for slightly retarded status, Trump was right.

Anno

Pathetic. January 2nd-4th cliff deal confirmed.

On the plus side, should be able to buy stocks cheaper over the next week or so!

kingkitty

This whole charade, ultimately sending this bill to die is just for republicans to show that dems are supposedly the ones not playing ball...

...but if they can't even get enough votes of their own party to pass it lol lol lol

/pours caramel in popcorn

edit:
wimpy boehner

Amir0x

Banned
also thank God it didn't have the votes, since if even one Democrat voted for it we'd have to hear him pretend that it's the Republicans working in a bipartisan fashion

dabig2

Fucking clowns in a circus. Too bad he took the coward's way out. Would've loved the lulz provided if they went through with the vote.

Oh, and apparently Boehner was getting booed in his meeting. God I wish people could videotape that.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm reading Game Change right now and loving it. It takes me back to PoliGAF 2008. I'm at the part where Obama had the delegates he needed for the nomination, and Hillary wouldn't quit. Those were some frustrating times.

Angry Fork

I know the fiscal cliff is the main subject right now but what do you guys think of the probability of filibuster reform? Will it be changed so that people have to stand and talk the entire time? Does this change have any support in the house? Is that necessary?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Do you guys realize Boehner is probably done as speaker...

Yup

I know the fiscal cliff is the main subject right now but what do you guys think of the probability of filibuster reform? Will it be changed so that people have to stand and talk the entire time? Does this change have any support in the house? Is that necessary?

They don't need the House to reform the filibuster. I'd like to go back to the talking filibuster, but no idea.

How can you be on Obama's case during negotiations over the fiscal cliff yet think the House is needed for filibuster reform?

Cloudy

Banned
In hindsight, why did Boehner expect GOPers to vote for a tax increase that Obama's already refused to sign?

Link

The Autumn Wind
So is this going to be another story that Fox News pretends just doesn't exist like with the Disability Treaty?

Boehner is a horrible speaker. He's done nothing of value. Besides tank the US's credit ranking.

Nice dose of Schadenfreude right now though.

How does his speakership survive?

There is no way this doesn't give Obama massive leverage. The deal has to go to the left now. I hope CPI chaining is off the table.

slit

Boehner has little respect among the Republican House. He wants to save his speakership so I don't see him skirting the Tea Party to try and get Democratic votes before the beginning of the year. This whole thing is a mess and the GOP has nobody to blame but themselves.

Piecake

Boehner is unquestionably the worst Speaker in modern history. Simply amazing.

Kinda hard to be a good speaker when your party is filled with crazy people who wont compromise. Still, this bill was insanely stupid and turned out to be political suicide.

I honestly have no idea why he did it because the failure is so much bigger than the reward

People are saying now on twitter that any "deal" is gonna have to have dem votes to pass. AKA the deal should move to the left.

In hindsight, why did Boehner expect GOPers to vote for a tax increase that Obama's already refused to sign?

I haven't seen it discussed anywhere, but I wouldn't be suprised if Boehner reasoned (incorrectly, and potentially fatal to his Speakership at that) that the GOP members would not put themselves behind the political eight ball by not passing his plan B. He probably assumed that for the sake of the party, members would have simply held their noses and vote accordingly. Of course, this overlooks the past four years of House GOP voting history so I'm not sure what he was expecting -- even if Grover signed off on it. End the in, with Freedom Works, the Tea Party Nation, and Club For Growth all signaling displeasure with Boehner's measure, it's not a surprise that the votes were not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom