• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So he is removing himself from the investigation after all?

Hope he resigns soon.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
From OT,

U0iJzAH.png

The Sessions boat is sinking.

V0AQfLH.gif

Greenwald wrote a Putinpologetic piece about how Democrats are being xenophobic about Russia and how Democrats are only focusing on Russia and not focusing on elite failure and also WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO HACKED THE DNC OR PODESTA'S EMAILS SO THERE.

Par for the course, but still. Just sort of amazing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
lmfao just watched the latest Seth Meyers clip and good god they had an old Manifort clip where he lied and mumbled his way through an answer that Trump didnt have any financial business ties to Russian oligarchs. Lmao never saw that clip. Good god was that the most obvious confused lie ive seen.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Greenwald wrote a Putinpologetic piece about how Democrats are being xenophobic about Russia and how Democrats are only focusing on Russia and not focusing on elite failure and also WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO HACKED THE DNC OR PODESTA'S EMAILS SO THERE.

It's what happens when you put ideology above actual reporting: you wind up writing drivel at times.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's what happens when you put ideology above actual reporting: you wind up writing drivel at times.

Snowden really fucked up choosing him to leak the information too. In retrospec anyways.

Wasn't Greenwald part of the group that was like "Why are the Dems focusing on Russia instead of issues real people care about?!?" and now the Russia issue has been the only thing other than Puzder's domestic violence that has taken down Trump's people.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Part of why this entire thing is so scary. It's basically a trial run for the next fascist candidate on what not to do if you want to do it successfully
Yeah there have to he measures put in place whenever the Dems take back control go stop a future competent authoritarian from ever taking power. Like didn't Germany and Italy go to great lengths to ensure a dictator couldn't run everything into the ground?.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wasn't Greenwald part of the group that was like "Why are the Dems focusing on Russia instead of issues real people care about?!?" and now the Russia issue has been the only thing other than Puzder's domestic violence that has taken down Trump's people.

Yep.

Yeah there have to he measures put in place whenever the Dems take back control go stop a future competent authoritarian from ever taking power. Like didn't Germany and Italy go to great lengths to ensure a dictator couldn't run everything into the ground?.

Yes they did. The Germans put in a bunch of protections to make sure Nazi-ism didn't come back as well.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yes they did. The Germans put in a bunch of protections to make sure Nazi-ism didn't come back as well.
K then Dems sure as hell better put protections and make sure Trumpism dies. Cuz good god I'd be scared shitless if Trump was competent. So far just about everyone in his administration and hell the GOP keep shooting themselves in the foot.

K then Dems sure as hell better put protections and make sure Trumpism dies. Cuz good god I'd be scared shitless if Trump was competent. So far just about everyone in his administration and hell the GOP keep shooting themselves in the foot.
How do you do that in a way that the next administration can't just undo everything?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How do you do that in a way that the next administration can't just undo everything?

This is the problem. The Germans all agreed that Nazi-ism had to die and never come back, we're got a political party that's totally cool with working with a foreign government if it means winning.

Honestly it's refreshing that even in these turbulent times, we can still rely on darkace to say that Kansas will turn out great in two decades so people should stop saying it's a disaster.

You need a conviction against someone in the Trump administration. Then you use that as evidence for why you need these new rules (for example, mandatory bipartisan or independent investigations on the recommendation of some collective you think won't go full Benghazi with that). If a future group attempts to even think about getting rid of such rules, you point to the incompetent, terribly-run Trump administration as evidence for why that's bad.

mo60

Honestly it's refreshing that even in these turbulent times, we can still rely on darkace to say that Kansas will turn out great in two decades so people should stop saying it's a disaster.

Speaking of Kansas I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a swing state on the presidential level in 4 to 8 years from now. If turnout is low enough in rural areas and the democrats can win all lot of the kansas counties hilary won or came close to winning I think it may be possible to turn kansas into a swing state.

Has he said anything about it?

Defending himself from the criticism, Jones said all the left needs to do is ”watch the bounce" Trump receives from the speech. ”All I'm saying is you now have, potentially, a prettier wrapper on the same poison," Jones said. He said liberals need to begin to ”internalize" the possibility that Trump could change temperamentally.

”When I'm saying he's presidential, that's frankly a bare standard," Jones said. ”I'm not saying he's George Washington or Barack Obama. But I am saying he did crack now that bare standard and we are going to have to take him more seriously."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...praise-not-saying-he-s-george-washington.html

The excuse counts for shit when compared to how he normalized the fuck out of him that night. How people reacted to that was unsettling as hell. Makes me worried about a terrorist attack. Trump can give a speech about respecting everyone while include parts in there about rounding all the Muslims up but as long as he says it coherently then people will sweep the racism to the side and concentrate on his "tone."

He's the perfect representation of a guy who doesn't realize he's moved far to the right economically but still think he's a modern center-left. I mean, when you even occasionally take some L's on the badeconomics subreddit, you know you're doing something wrong.

Speaking of Kansas I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a swing state on the presidential level in 4 to 8 years from now. If turnout is low enough in rural areas and the democrats can win all lot of the kansas counties hilary won or came close to winning I think it may be possible to turn kansas into a swing state.
I actually posted about this, wondering if the absolute disaster of Brownback could open up an opportunity to turn the state purple more longterm than just one election. Not a ton of electoral votes, but the chance for more senate seats would definitely be welcome. Probably not, but they did give us Sebelius and she was pretty progressive for her time and environment.

mo60

I actually posted about this, wondering if the absolute disaster of Brownback could open up an opportunity to turn the state purple more longterm than just one election. Not a ton of electoral votes, but the chance for more senate seats would definitely be welcome. Probably not, but they did give us Sebelius and she was pretty progressive for her time and environment.

There were like 3 counties if I recall that hilary came close to winning in Kansas in November. They were the highly populated Johnson County, Riley County and Shawnee County. If the democrats could run up the margins in some of the more highly populated Kansas counties like Johnson it may be possible. Flipping Sedgwick County or making it less republican may help with this.

From what I've read, there's a split between Western Kansas and Eastern Kansas. There's no real Democratic Party in Western Kansas, so it's possible for moderates to win state legislative seats there.

Ironically, a healthy Democratic party in Eastern Kansas means that it's a lot harder for moderates to win Republican seats, since the moderates are now Democrat's.

Also, Kansas is Republican at almost a biological level. It was even FDR's 6th worst state in the 1936 landslide (even though he won it) and it was one of the 1st states to flip back to the GOP in 1940.

There were like 3 counties if I recall that hilary came close to winning in Kansas in November. They were the highly populated Johnson County, Riley County and Shawnee County. If the democrats could run up the margins in some of the more highly populated Kansas counties like Johnson it may be possible. Flipping Sedgwick County or making it less republican may help with this.
It looks like when we almost unseated Brownback in 2014 (3 point loss) Davis (the Dem candidate) in addition to Wyandotte and Douglas (the two counties Hillary won) won Jefferson, Shawnee, Riley, Lyon, and Crawford. He did not win Johnson, though it was only light-red. In addition to Johnson, the close counties Brownback won with <50% were Jackson, Osage, Morris, Saline, Cowley, and Sedgwick. We'd also have to keep margins down in the west though, Trump's margins were better there than Brownback's even though they were dark red in both.

From what I've read, there's a split between Western Kansas and Eastern Kansas. There's no real Democratic Party in Western Kansas, so it's possible for moderates to win state legislative seats there.

Ironically, a healthy Democratic party in Eastern Kansas means that it's a lot harder for moderates to win Republican seats, since the moderates are now Democrat's.

Also, Kansas is Republican at almost a biological level. It was even FDR's 6th worst state in the 1936 landslide (even though he won it) and it was one of the 1st states to flip back to the GOP in 1940.
Right, hence the "probably not" but Brownback barely winning is something we should capitalize on. Don't let them forget who ruined the state. We even picked up state house seats in what was otherwise a Republican wave!

Historically it was also the heart of the Populist movement, so there's at least some historical basis :p I agree it's a long shot though, definitely not guaranteed.

WELL HUH

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanto...unt?utm_term=.eiDEkDVBxl&bftw=pol#.gpgxjb56Zy

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown Friday will call on Democrats to refocus their efforts to woo back working and middle class voters by using an inclusive form of economic populism to appeal to those economically squeezed by modernization and the increasing reliance on independent contractors by employers.

In a speech Friday morning at Ohio State University, Brown will outline his plan, saying “work is something that unites us all. All work has dignity” and will denounce President Trump’s form of populism, according to excerpts provided to BuzzFeed News.

In his speech Brown will look to blur traditional racial and class distinctions, insisting the same sort of issues that impact traditional Democratic, working class constituencies also impact white or white-collar voters. “The value of work isn’t a black issue or a white issue. It’s not a blue-collar issue or a white-collar issue. It’s not a liberal or conservative issue,” Brown will insist, according to the transcript.

Significantly, the Ohio Democrat will take direct aim at President Trump’s divisive form of populist nationalism, arguing “populism is for the people – not these people or those people, but all people. True populism is not about who it excludes, but who it embraces.”

The speech will also include a host of specific legislative proposals, ranging from traditional Democratic mainstays like increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour to new rules forcing companies that rely heavily on independent contractors to pay their payroll taxes. Independent contractors are at the heart of the so-called “gig economy,” and large corporations like Uber rely heavily on them — much to the chagrin of labor unions and many workers who believe it allows companies to skirt overtime and benefit rules.

Brown is already facing one challenger for his seat in next year’s election — State Treasurer Josh Mandel — and his speech and legislative agenda sets a clear, populist tone for his upcoming reelection campaign.

But Brown could have his sights set on even loftier goals: Hillary Clinton considered tapping Brown as her running mate — a decision which, in retrospect, could have helped her defend states like Ohio Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

More importantly for Brown, however, is the fact that numerous Democratic and Republican operatives – including several close to Trump’s world — see Brown’s labor street cred and populist underpinnings as a potentially strong weapon against the president, come 2020.

my boy

Chumley

Banned
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...praise-not-saying-he-s-george-washington.html

The excuse counts for shit when compared to how he normalized the fuck out of him that night. How people reacted to that was unsettling as hell. Makes me worried about a terrorist attack. Trump can give a speech about respecting everyone while include parts in there about rounding all the Muslims up but as long as he says it coherently then people will sweep the racism to the side and concentrate on his "tone."

His excuse is shit, it amounts to "you guys don't realize Trump can change!". He should admit he fucked up and apologize if he doesn't like getting justifiably railed for this, but I doubt he will since he seems to think normalizing the enemy makes him a more compassionate person than everyone else.

He's done. Lost every ounce of credibility with me after doubling down on this. It's sad because now it makes all those moments where I liked him in 2016 look like a performance, and that in reality he's just another soulless pundit saying whatever works for CNN.

Tall4Life

Him putting himself out there this early maymake it easier for republicans to attack him. He may be able to deflect these attacks once they come pretty easily.

There was an article a few days or a week ago about a list of possible 2020 candidates that the GOP was already looking into probing and investigating, and I'm pretty sure Brown was one of them. It's not like it was a secret before that he was possibly going to run against Trump in 2020.

Significantly happier than thinking of Brown in isolation. That answer above is great for the Rust Belt, but it's not going to woo a ton of people of color.
fwiw Brown's constituency has a significant black portion, Ohio is much more black than Wisconsin or Minnesota. It's part of why I think he's a really good pick: he *does* have to work with minority voters.

That said, I think he should pick a minority VP candidate. I don't know if Harris the right one though, I'm not a huge fan of inexperienced "excitement" picks. Of course, there's not a lot of other options unless we pull someone from the House.

Chumley

Banned

That guy has always been a piece of shit. Only reason anyone even knows his name is because of Snowden.

Tall4Life

fwiw Brown's constituency has a significant black portion, Ohio is much more black than Wisconsin or Minnesota. It's part of why I think he's a really good pick: he *does* have to work with minority voters.

That said, I think he should pick a minority VP candidate. I don't know if Harris the right one though, I'm not a huge fan of inexperienced "excitement" picks. Of course, there's not a lot of other options unless we pull someone from the House.
The VP isn't that important altogether. It's generally been used to appeal to a certain demographic that the primary candidate may not immediately reach. See the white working/middle class with Biden and Obama, GOP stalwarts with Pence and Trump... Kaine and Hillary didn't really work out to her benefit but yeah. Picking Brown as the primary guy to appeal to the whites generally and push his economic message while having Harris as the VP to pick up any slack in minority groups is a good ticket.

lmfao just watched the latest Seth Meyers clip and good god they had an old Manifort clip where he lied and mumbled his way through an answer that Trump didnt have any financial business ties to Russian oligarchs. Lmao never saw that clip. Good god was that the most obvious confused lie ive seen.
This one?

Yeah. He's not winning an academy award for that shit.

Also, randomly just watched Hunt for Red October again. Love that movie. And just noticed that the political officer that Ramius takes out in the beginning was named Ivan Putin. Huh.

kTmPzd1.gif

The VP isn't that important altogether. It's generally been used to appeal to a certain demographic that the primary candidate may not immediately reach. See the white working/middle class with Biden and Obama, GOP stalwarts with Pence and Trump... Kaine and Hillary didn't really work out to her benefit but yeah. Picking Brown as the primary guy to appeal to the whites generally and push his economic message while having Harris as the VP to pick up any slack in minority groups is a good ticket.
I understand the logic, I just don't think the VP does much electorally aside from message sending and I think it's important to keep them fairly qualified. Brown/Harris is fine though, I'd just rather we pick a more experienced VP. The problem though is that the pickings for minority + experienced is pretty slim so picking a minority without the experience runs the Dan Quayle risk, but it's probably better that we don't play it safe and give it to one of our new women of color in the Senate.

how is Bill Richardson feeling

I don't even know if he would be a good candidate even if he wasn't super old

mo60

Kaine helped Hilary win Virigina by more then she would have won it by if he wasn't on the ticket.

I understand the logic, I just don't think the VP does much electorally aside from message sending and I think it's important to keep them fairly qualified. Brown/Harris is fine though, I'd just rather we pick a more experienced VP. The problem though is that the pickings for minority + experienced is pretty slim so picking a minority without the experience runs the Dan Quayle risk, but it's probably better that we don't play it safe and give it to one of our new women of color in the Senate.

how is Bill Richardson feeling

I don't even know if he would be a good candidate even if he wasn't super old

I've said it for awhile now, but experience is a detriment to our side since it means you might have compromised at some point to get something passed, and that's a no-no these days. It's why I'm almost certain we need one of our freshman Senators to be on the ticket; no real record to tie them down with the dreaded C word.

Pixieking

Banned
I've said it for awhile now, but experience is a detriment to our side since it means you might have compromised at some point to get something passed, and that's a no-no these days. It's why I'm almost certain we need one of our freshman Senators to be on the ticket; no real record to tie them down with the dreaded C word.

Not disputing these points - they are definitely true - but I think it's an awful idea to buy into. You're basically conceding anyone who has proven their capability to handle politics is tainted, and allowing the gross stupidity of the electorate to lead "with feelings", rather than educating them. Compromise and experience will be what's needed come 2020, and to have to ignore that in favour of voter appeasement is pretty disgusting. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom