• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
SauceGate looks like the typical manufactured controversy before every major primary.

Seems like right before a major primary there's some thread that has Hillary doing something that is a controversy; smells like a secret organized plot to undermine our Queen.

Voted early today prior to classes for Hilldawg. My vote was less about how much I like Hillary (I'm neutral/ slightly positive towards her as the Dem nom, compared to being quite happy with Obama being it in 08), and instead more how Bernie has managed to make me go from generally liking him to quite disliking him within the last four or so months. Will be interesting to see how she does in my county considering she lives here (about 1 town over from me).

NeoXChaos

CgamTvuWEAEn1Yv.jpg

giphy.gif

PBY

Banned
Actually thought the hot sauce thing was fun, etc. I did cringe when she said "Is it working" but I'm a huge fan of the breakfast club, so just seeing Hillary on it was crushing.

She's a policy wonk, of course she's pandering. She doesn't know anything about hip hop or the new Beyonce - and that's fine. She made a slight joke, whatever.

My fiancé has been pretty okay on Bernie for a while now, thinking he has good ideas and would vote for him any day of the week.

But the longer this has dragged on, she's developed a really unfavorable view of him and now wants him out. I discussed this with her yesterday asking "Are you excited to vote in the primary?" Her response was that she was a little bit. I asked if it was that she's excited lot vote for Hillary or against Bernie. She said this: "In 2008 I voted for Obama and I was pretty happy to do so. I didn't hate Hillary and I never developed that. I don't hate Bernie either but he needs to step aside so I'm excited to vote against him."

That was unexpected to me because she's always been nearly undecided in my view.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Um I fuckin love hot sauce. I didn't realize this was a racial thing. Am I secretly black? do black people like hot sauce?

SheSaidNo

All that 'Deep South' theorizing runs aground on this fact: black citizens approve of the President, and want a continuation of his policies Black citizens are twice as likely to say 'the country is headed in the right direction' as whites are. Asked if they expect their family finances to improve or worsen in the next 6 months, only 20% of whites say Improve. 60% of blacks do. It's almost as if black citizens have a different experience of life in America than whites.

Why is this? Hasn't the last couple of years been pretty bad for black citizens? The wealth gap is the worse its been in awhile

This "party above all" attitude some of you guys have is bizarre and creepy as fuck. It's why I always roll my eyes at the "he's not even a real democrat" attack on Sanders. It's a political party, not a cult. It's not above all criticism. Support it when it supports your political positions and apply pressure to change when it doesn't, that's how politics works. Not by worshipping the one true religion of Democratic Orthodoxy.

I don't think anybody here thinks the Democratic Party is above criticism. But the Democratic Party is the only reasonable vehicle to enact progressive change in this country and will remain so as long as our elections work in a way that leads to a two party system. Right now Republicans have control of Congress and far too many state governments. The party itself is the people who belong to it, and it is up to those people to change the party. Applying pressure from within to move the party to the left is absolutely appropriate. Treating the party itself as the enemy and sabotaging its efforts downballot to raise funds for yourself is not even remotely helpful. Pretending like you don't need the party because you'll magically get your agenda through as president is not helpful.

The further down the ballot you go the more direct impact the race is likely to have on your life, so yeah, the Democratic Party is kind of an important thing for enacting a progressive agenda. Whether or not we like that it works that way, it's the reality of the situation. To me there's a line between criticizing the party and attacking the party, and Bernie crosses that line too often for my tastes.

I couldn't sleep last night, I was so excited for todays primary that I was just too hopped up!

ok it was actually because I was finishing Dark Souls III but I'm still really excited!

I couldn't sleep last night, I was so excited for todays primary that I was just too hopped up!

ok it was actually because I was finishing Dark Souls III but I'm still really excited!
Did you finish it? I'm still on the fence about getting it. I played an obscene amount of DS1, small amounts of both Demons Souls and DS2, and liked Bloodborne a lot.

Did you finish it? I'm still on the fence about getting it.

Yea, and I didn't even get to all the bonus areas.

Game is amazing, easily tops Dark Souls 1 for me, and I was never much a fan of Dark Souls II. The length varies for people, I was around 30 hours non-completionist, but you can easily find people who did the game in 20/25

PBY

Banned
Apparently carrying it in your bag is like a Beyoncé thing or something? Like I said yesterday, I'm too white for this stuff.

Its an old black stereotype, but the Beyonce Formation song/video popularized the bag lyric (swag). It IS pandering to go on the breakfast club and drop that - but politics is pandering.

I don't really see the issue outside of a little cringey-ness.

Zona

Good afternoon PoliGAF. I'm about to stroll down to my polling place to give Hillary her +1. I'm in the suburbs and my assigned polling place is all of a block away, it's great. Though I never see anyone else under 60 when I go.

I can destroy all of you when it comes to hot sauce. The spiciest food I've eaten yet is Sun Du Bu (Anthony Bourdain link). Its a boiling hot, spicy tofu magma that sets your insides on fire. And I love it. I can go even further than the spiciest level available for this food.

But if you're trying it out for the first time go with medium level.

The hearing on whether or not indies can vote in the primary will happen at 2PM. The organizer of ELECTION JUSTICE USA (which has only existed for 2 weeks) is telling people to fill out provisionals saying that if the ruling is in their favor, they will count provisionals.

The caveat is that if they rule against you (which is likely), you're risking perjury by filling one out.

NeoXChaos

The hearing on whether or not indies can vote in the primary will happen at 2PM. The organizer of ELECTION JUSTICE USA (which has only existed for 2 weeks) is telling people to fill out provisionals saying that if the ruling is in their favor, they will count provisionals.

The caveat is that if they rule against you (which is likely), you're risking perjury by filling one out.

its not going to happen. Are they going to try this stunt next week in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island and Maryland?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This is so dumb

Yikes. Nothing can go wrong here.

So are the provisional ballots inexplicably being allowed after the fact by a judge (lol!) today's "retroactive momentum"? Because I'm sure there are millions of Americans that would love an opportunity to retroactively vote or make change to their pick.

I know I asked about provisionals and got good replies, but even then I assume those counted for people with a party affiliation? Are Sanders part of the general people expecting to be able to stroll in off the street and vote despite not having any registration (versus outdated registration). Are we going to see a 20 point blowout like in AZ that Sanders people will allege is "contested" despite, well, reality?

Edit: It would be an absolute travesty for independents to be able to start voting ON ELECTION DAY without advanced notice to the general public. Isn't that voter suppression? Fraud? Something? Whatever, it's undemocratic in a process that the Democratic party is allowed to run in whatever format they desire.
Okay, this makes me feel better, lol.

....I can't see this turning out horribly, with those being charged with perjury blaming the DNC.

Slayven

I can destroy all of you when it comes to hot sauce. The spiciest food I've eaten yet is Sun Du Bu (Anthony Bourdain link). Its a boiling hot, spicy tofu magma that sets your insides on fire. And I love it. I can go even further than the spiciest level available for this food.

But if you're trying it out for the first time go with medium level.

i put pure capsaicin crystals on my pizza

So are the provisional ballots inexplicably being allowed after the fact by a judge (lol!) today's "retroactive momentum"? Because I'm sure there are millions of Americans that would love an opportunity to retroactively vote or make change to their pick.

I know I asked about provisionals and got good replies, but even then I assume those counted for people with a party affiliation? Are Sanders part of the general people expecting to be able to stroll in off the street and vote despite not having any registration (versus outdated registration). Are we going to see a 20 point blowout like in AZ that Sanders people will allege is "contested" despite, well, reality?
Yes they're hoping that these provisionals cast by independent voters will be counted after the court rules today. I don't think it's likely it'll happen.

Maledict

I see Bernie has gone full on insane / burn the place down now.

“No, it should not be,” Sanders replied. “Today, 3 million people in the state of New York who are independents have lost their right to vote in the Democratic or Republican primary. That’s wrong.”

This is ludicrous.

Ah well, guess it's all about setting the narrative about losing. I wonder if the person who drew that brilliant map will colour New York in as a tie / fraud state now?

NeoXChaos

This is ludicrous.

Ah well, guess it's all about setting the narrative about losing. I wonder if the person who drew that brilliant map will colour New York in as a tie / fraud state now?

and yet LA and FL also have Independents but you never heard a word about it from the Sanders campaign.

This is ludicrous.

They didn't lose anything. They chose not to participate. They chose not to do the bare minimum necessary to be allowed to vote in the primary. That's a decision made by them when they initially registered to vote. They lost nothing. They can still vote in the general election.

Yesss, Queen needs to start taking political prisoners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom