• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Single Payer - Good luck
Ban fracking - Obama just passed extremely tough regulations on drilling, more strict than they were a year ago, portions of the country are based on fracking, so good luck with that and going back to coal.
Break up banks - I can see this being adopted to a degree, at least with the more tight regulation stuff
Climate Change - Clinton already on it, maybe she will try and back a carbon tax? Cap and trade?

I mean, the more I think about it, the more they really are the same on so many issues, it's just the rhetoric that is drastically different.

His platform reminds me of the Green Party platform. Same as the democrats, but bigger, stronger, faster!

Cap and Trade is political death bed.

I do not favor any compromise with Bernistas. I would prefer they crawl back to the Ron Paul hole from whence they came.

As a brown man in this country I want nothing to do with people who would rather vote for someone whose platform involves discrimination against brown people over someone in the same party whom doesn't 100% share their views.

We can win this election without them. No compromise. A message needs to be sent that you need to be willing to compromise before the Party will compromise for you.

I do not favor any compromise with Bernistas. I would prefer they crawl back to the Ron Paul hole from whence they came.

As a brown man in this country I want nothing to do with people who would rather vote for someone whose platform involves discrimination against brown people over someone in the same party whom doesn't 100% share their views.

We can win this election without them. No compromise. A message needs to be sent that you need to be willing to compromise before the Party will compromise for you.

While I don't think the hardcore Bernie people deserve anything, this doesn't really make any sense. To be honest I don't think there is much to compromise on. Clinton's policies pretty much completely line up with the direction Bernie wants to go in. I do think maybe they can throw them some kind of bone. I also don't think anyone will capitulate to the any of the Bernie-Trump people.

In my mind there are primarily two distinct factions that should be treated differently.

One includes the somewhat naive newly minted progressives, many of whom will be voting for their first president, who haven't had to contend with the reality that the president can't simply will a progressive government into existence alone. I think it's very important to try the best to keep them as engaged as possible and encourage them not be discouraged because Dear Leader let them down. If there was a way to to transfer the energy the Bernie campaign had (minus the sexism, and dog-whistle racism, and as we learned last night - violence) to local and regional elections, that would be great.

However, the second faction which is becoming more and more apparent makes up the vocal plurality is just the constant flux of anti-establishment bandwagoners that jumps from populist candidate to populist candidate. I'm perfectly comfortable ignoring them - no one needs screaming children that throw a tantrum every time something doesn't come out perfect for them.

I'd guess a promise for $15 minimum wage in the party platform.

Honestly does anyone even care about the party platform? I've never seen anyone reference or mention this ever.

You should read the lower half when it says that he might get some things.

Mrs. Clinton has argued that most of the Sanders plans are unrealistic and that some of them are unworkable. But several Clinton allies said the campaign is likely to let him insert at least some of what he wants in the party platform. That is partly because they don’t see the two as being very far apart, and partly because they say the platform language doesn’t really matter anyway.

Hilary Rosen, a Democratic consultant who is close to the Clinton campaign, predicted that the campaign would have an “open mind” on these issues and “a commitment to progressive values.”

I doubt that they insert his more far out ideas like free college, banning fracking, and open primaries.

15% is pretty low, you gotta be way out in the burbs or live in a super white city like Seattle or something to achieve that, no? I imagine most big cities exceed that.

Segregation is still a thing in a lot of cities. I live in Chicago and my neighborhood is less than 5% black. Other neighborhoods in the city can be over 95% black. Chicago is particularly bad in that regard but you'll see similar stories in a lot of cities.

Reading a paper that cites a survey where only 1/4 of white people would live in a neighborhood where the population was 15% black or higher and I want to die.
I've seen a study in my SOC class where it said that white people preferred to live in neighborhoods where they were surrounded by other white people. Black and Latino responders wanted to live in more diversely populated neighborhoods. Also explains why majority white neighborhoods have houses that are valued more.

ampere

Bernie just wants to "stick it to the man" or "the establishment"

Hillary is "the man" in the Democratic Primary

Trump is "the man" in the General Election

He's going to oppose "the man" on a lot of their platforms, but not always with good reason. I don't care why anyone opposes Trump though, any allies against Trump are still welcome

User 406

Banned
We need to stop trade until we can figure out what is going on.

All these sneakers keep sneaking into our country!

So, is this titanic battle for two or three delegates in Nevada finally over? I was totally on the edge of my seat worried about whether Bernie would cross that tipping point where he'd only need a 89.4% win in CA instead of 89.5%. Or I might have been playing Minecraft in a fuzzy wracking cough fugue, whatever. God I just want this stupid cold to be OVER

So the end result is that in the end both Clinton and Sandets got exactly the same number of delegates they originally had won in the first place.

Yep....definitely something fraudulent there...

Lol

I believe I was told earlier today that we should be "courting" these folks instead of mocking them.

I've also seen their behavior on the floor today, and their behavior elsewhere. It's been atrocious. This is not an isolated incident.

How are we supposed to "court" them when they're screaming and frothing at the mouth?

If they can't behave like adults, I want them to go away. The vast majority of Bernie voters are sane folks who'll line-up when the time comes, but this special breed of folks who think assholish behavior at these events is acceptable or productive? They can screw-off. I'm not going to waste my time trying to court them.

I've noticed how the Bernie or Bust crowd takes the fact that Clinton needs the votes of Sanders supporters in November as Clinton needing the votes of all Sanders supporters. Therefore every childish temper tantrum needs to be indulged and they constantly need to be coddled and told how wonderful and important they are. Any attempt to hold them accountable for their behavior is met with ominous warnings of "Hillary isn't entitled to our votes."

Hillary can, and should, make an effort to appeal to the vast majority of Bernie's supporters, and most of them will vote for her in November (just as her supporters largely voted for Obama against McCain), but trying to appeal to people who would never vote for her in the first place is a waste of time.

ampere

Wow, you'd think they'd understand that they need to be a Democrat to be part of the Democratic convention. On that note, here's one of them speaking for themselves:

Best part of this is this reply:

Ummm, what? You gave up on Bernie? You didn't just betray Bernie but also all of his millions of supporters. You betrayed me. Wow.

You betrayed me

Hillary can, and should, make an effort to appeal to the vast majority of Bernie's supporters, and most of them will vote for her in November (just as her supporters largely voted for Obama against McCain), but trying to appeal to people who would never vote for her in the first place is a waste of time.

Simply by not being Donald Trump she already does that. Whatever % need further convincing were probably not reliable GE Dem voters anyway

Bernie didn't even care about the Obama coalition. He focused mostly on college aged people( mostly white) and the white working class individuals. If anything the future doesn't should not be focused or about these people, but the entire coalition. That doesn't mean that the Democrats should not try to maintain and get these people, they should not be an extreme focus. During my time of observing some of these people, they don't give a shit about the Democratic party or the constituents, they just want the party to be entirely about them as they think they know the real issues and everyone else will fall in line because they are right.

It's where a lot of that "low information voter" garbage comes from. The basic thought process is "why don't they understand that the issues that are most important to me should also be the most important to them?"

But we've certainly reached the point where you can't win a Democratic primary just by trying to appeal to white people.

So the end result is that in the end both Clinton and Sandets got exactly the same number of delegates they originally had won in the first place.

Lol

Ya, but you can't say it like that. You have to say FRAUD! ESTABLISHMENT! CORRUPTION! She bought them MacDonalds, etc.

Iolo

Bernie just wants to "stick it to the man" or "the establishment"

Hillary is "the man" in the Democratic Primary

Trump is "the man" in the General Election

He's going to oppose "the man" on a lot of their platforms, but not always with good reason. I don't care why anyone opposes Trump though, any allies against Trump are still welcome

3zyt6yy.jpg

Healthcare is too expensive? Why bother with the reality of our hodgepodge system. Lets pretend we're Europe and actually planned this thing and make it free!

While we're at it, let's assume that all of Europe has single payer because universal health care can only be achieved through single payer.

Smirnoff Ice Electric Berry. All of them.

I knew that there had to be people out there that actually liked Smirnoff Ice.

While we're at it, let's assume that all of Europe has single payer because universal health care can only be achieved through single payer.

I knew that there had to be people out there that actually liked Smirnoff Ice.

The regular Smirnoff ice Pineapple is my jam. Seriously. I love that stuff. This stuff, though, comes in 16 oz bottles. It's not carbonated. It taste like those juice jugs you used to get as a kid? But with alcohol. And regret after 4 of them. They're sooo goooood.

But, I agree with your actual on topic point. We are not getting single payer in this country. It doesn't make sense for us. Our system is based around a private model, and transitioning to single payer isn't going to work. A multipayer, not for profit system would be great. It's the best way to go, really.

Tarkus

The regular Smirnoff ice Pineapple is my jam. Seriously. I love that stuff. This stuff, though, comes in 16 oz bottles. It's not carbonated. It taste like those juice jugs you used to get as a kid? But with alcohol. And regret after 4 of them. They're sooo goooood.
Ewwww. Sounds like liquid hangover.

Pineapple Habanero Hop Dang Diggity IPA is my jam lately.

I love how the argument with this whole Nevada controversy is less about representing the way people actually voted and more about the integrity of the caucus process that is apparently being violated.

You ice yourself? I've only seen people drink that when a friend is being a dick and makes you. I didn't think people willingly drank it.

Lol

What's more important? That the distribution of delegates reflect the actual vote? Or that the distribution of delegates account for retroactive momentum and the will of the people
on Reddit
?

WV voters are hardcore racists voting for a man with a spotless civil rights record. Look who now believes in false consciousness...

Corey Robin became a college professor despite being one of the dumbest people possible. The world is yours, people.

https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/730247079688323073

Elections melt brains. People who support the civil rights activist in the race are now The Real Racists

But Lee Fang became a nobody despite being this dumb :(

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/730203044382539776

Need to be specific.

Like:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump May 14
Wow, @CNN is really working hard to make me look as bad as possible. Very unprofessional. Hurting in ratings - bad television!

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 5h5 hours ago
Everyone is laughing at the @nytimes for the lame hit piece they did on me and women.I gave them many names of women I helped-refused to use

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 4h4 hours ago
Why doesn't the failing @nytimes write the real story on the Clintons and women? The media is TOTALLY dishonest!

Why do you all hate everything I love. Smirnoff is delicious. Sad. Mess. Next y'all gonna tell me you don't like peanut butter vodka shooters
Sad and low energy.

Iolo

Medicare buy-in is a pretty huge concession. This is why Bernie is staying in. Art of the deal.

Joe Lieberman was the only thing standing between Democrats and the public option in 2009, but if the price of Bernie's endorsement is pretending otherwise, I will happily take it.

Republicans legitimately think that Hillary is the devil based on that poll. 4% would vote for Hillary over Trump?

Trump's "is this candidate qualified to be president?" numbers are trash in the poll.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to vomit, at the thought of the Clinton's being installed in the White House for quite possibly, eight frigin years: Clinton charity arranged $2M pledge to firm owned by Bill’s ‘friend.

Bill Clinton’s foundation arranged a $2 million pledge to a power company partly owned by a wealthy blond divorcée — who some say is the frequent visitor to his home nicknamed “Energizer.”

The “commitment” to Julie Tauber McMahon’s firm from the Clinton Global Initiative was placed on its 2010 conference agenda at Clinton’s urging, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

McMahon, 54, is rumored to be the woman dubbed “Energizer” by the Secret Service at the Clinton home because of her frequent visits, according to RadarOnline.

And before the inevitable "So Bernie supporters are now resorting to posting articles from the NY Post? Talk about desperate...", the story was originally published on May 12, by the Wall Street Journal (behind a paywall).

HASTINGS, Neb.—The Clinton Global Initiative, which arranges donations to help solve the world’s problems, set up a financial commitment that benefited a for-profit company part-owned by people with ties to the Clintons, including a current and a former Democratic official and a close friend of former President Bill Clinton.

As regulars can attest, I have plenty of issues with Obama on policy, especially on trade (TPP/TTIP) and general corporate friendliness, but I can state, without reservation, that during their almost eight year stay in the White House, the Obama family have conducted themselves in a truly exemplary fashion, and represent a wonderful example for future presidential families.

I have little doubt that Bernie and Jane Sanders, and their wider family, would also coduct themselves with decorum, giving our highest office the respect it should demand, and would also present a joyous example to the wider World, but based on even recent past experience, I bet few of you could, hand on heart, offer any such guarantees for the Clinton's, who in my view, shouldn't be within five hundred miles of the White House, let alone live there again, for close to a decade, at our great expense...

dramatis

Best part of this is this reply:
Nah, the best reply stemmed from one guy who called the original poster a "low information delegate". He got defensive and said:
Absolutely. In hindsight, it's very easy for everyone to say I'm a dumbass, but I'm sure many of these trolls wouldn't have a solid answer if they were asked what the rule is.

This is my first primary election process, but just because I'm ignorant to some party rules, doesn't make me a low information voter.
And one guy couldn't handle it:
Are you shitting me? Anyone with a lick of sense would know you have to be a democrat to influence the democratic convention. You are not only low information but low common sense. How in the hell did you get to this position?
I laughed at low common sense.

Are you guys ready? Donald Trump Is About To Start Getting Intelligence Briefings [NPR]
Although presidents typically try to accommodate candidates, even ones in the opposite party, they do not share everything. So, as the White House prepares to arrange briefings by the intelligence community, officials will likely hold back sensitive details about covert operations, secret nuclear and other defense programs, and other such details.

In fact, intelligence briefers this year may need to be more careful than ever, said former CIA analyst Aki Peritz. The de facto Republican nominee, Donald Trump, is "a man famously with no filter," Peritz said of Trump, who has built his campaign upon what he calls straight talk.

"He's never held public office before," Peritz said. "He's a business developer and a reality TV star. So if the United States starts giving Donald Trump classified briefings" with certain kinds of sensitive information, "it could be a disaster."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom