• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean she's Methodist. Her faith influenced how she felt about the civil rights movement in the 60s. She talks about how her youth pastor forced her to encounter other folks she hadn't been around being a middle class white girl. I don't think she's super religious. I do think though some of her best moments are when she reflects on her beliefs and how they drove her to public service. She took that call to action and used it for good not to spread hate and division. I respect that.

I mean she's Methodist. Her faith influenced how she felt about the civil rights movement in the 60s. She talks about how her youth pastor forced her to encounter other folks she hadn't been around being a middle class white girl. I don't think she's super religious. I do think though some of her best moments are when she reflects on her beliefs and how they drove her to public service. She took that call to action and used it for good not to spread hate and division. I respect that.

Sounds a lot like my grandfather, Methodist that spent his entire life in the public sector

I like Carson a lot, and I think he could have brought a lot as president, but he is horrible at his current role and if it even happened, would make a horrible VP.

Literally the sum total of the qualifications needed for VP are:

-Have a pulse
-Be able to serve as president if the president ceases to have a pulse

Carson has a pulse (probably) sooooooooooooo

Holmes

I would not be surprised if it ends up being Clinton vs Trump, I really wouldn't, but Clinton's definitely not a done deal; it's plenty clear that sanders, people at state conventions, and delegates will not act like it is over until it is actually over.
Hueleeeeenn

what

We've jumped the shark if something as minor as saying "god given" causes consternation. It's a somewhat subliminal thing that puts certain demographics at ease by saying "I share your values." So it's no different from throwaway lines about the greatness of America or wanting to leave a better America for our children etc.

Is she really that religious?

It doesn't really come across in her policies at all.

She's not - but that's my point. Who would have guessed she'd emerge as the most religious candidate in a political climate where the Christian coalition is still a prominent, though drastically weakened, faction within the GOP.

It's somewhat refreshing how little religious conviction has played a role this cycle.

VRMN

I never fully got why Mormons would be immune to the forces that have driven the rest of the religious right to Trump's side. It's tribalism and the general excuse that it's less about Trump and more about who would staff his theoretical administration struck me as one that would let most Republicans, including Mormons, swallow their pride and vote for him.

I'm not expecting many, if any, hard red states to flip blue because of Trump. That is depressing, and I'd love to be wrong, but I don't doubt it after talking to my father who spouted much of that logic.

I posted Utah because Trump got 14% of the votes to 69% of Cruz in the primaries, so it was interesting to see if that had any effect on the GE.

I posted Utah because Trump got 14% of the votes to 69% of Cruz in the primaries, so it was interesting to see if that had any effect on the GE.

GOP will unify behind Trump. The voters will at least. They hated Obama for 8 years, they have hated the Clintons for 20 years.

Clinton's emails talking about how Trump is not receiving support from Ryan or Romney or Bush are stupid. Clinton doesn't need Republicans to win, she just needs Obama's coalition.

We've jumped the shark if something as minor as saying "god given" causes consternation. It's a somewhat subliminal thing that puts certain demographics at ease by saying "I share your values." So it's no different from throwaway lines about the greatness of America or wanting to leave a better America for our children etc.

I agree it's a throw away line. My issue is it's a throw away line from 2008 that she trotted back out. In 2008, it didn't fit with the type of campaign she was running. It sounded forced and completely out of place coming out of her mouth. This time, it actually fits her campaign better, but I still cringe because of the 2008 campaign cycle. However, I think it really is one of her core values, becauswe she did carry it over from last time. It probably is indicative of how she feels about the role government and public service can and should play. Plus, like I said, my mom (a retired special ed teacher) fucking LOVES it.

Also:

"There's a saying in the senate, there are two kinds of Senators: There are show horses and work horses," Clinton said during her event at the Union of Carpenters and Millwrights Training Center while talking about working across party lines. "You all know a little bit about that here in Louisville, don't ya?

"I have to say it really lifted my spirits to see Exaggerator beaten in the Derby,
" she joked, referring to one of the horses that did not win this year's Kentucky Derby. "So, yeah I went to work with Republicans to solve problems."

hil003.gif

VRMN

GOP will unify behind Trump. The voters will at least. They hated Obama for 8 years, they have hated the Clintons for 20 years.

Clinton's emails talking about how Trump is not receiving support from Ryan or Romney or Bush are stupid. Clinton doesn't need Republicans to win, she just needs Obama's coalition.
She doesn't need them. Down ballot candidates could use them, though. And a big margin lends itself to a perceived mandate for her platform.

There's no good reason to not try and stoke Republican divisions, no matter how few take to it. Even 2% of Republicans voting for Clinton and other Dems is a LOT.

She doesn't need them. Down ballot candidates could use them, though. And a big margin lends itself to a perceived mandate for her platform.

There's no good reason to not try and stoke Republican divisions, no matter how few take to it. Even 2% of Republicans voting for Clinton and other Dems is a LOT.

True, but this is the wrong time for that. Do it after/near the convention.

ampere

Went to the doc this morning because I'm not getting better and turns out I have a sinus infection boo. I had a Muslim woman as my doctor (she was wearing a hijab) and she was brilliant... diagnosed the reason I keep having sinus problems too. Fucking Trump wants to make it hard for people like her, guy can fuck himself in a sewer. Ugh. Got pissed off thinking about it. We need a diverse country, immigrants are what makes America

Is she really that religious?

It doesn't really come across in her policies at all.

She definitely is, but she's also good about separation of church and state.

The latter is what really matters to me. I don't care what god you worship, but don't let that be the policy decider. Obviously morals and religion intersect for a lot of people, but the bad policy is stuff like crazy GoP religious based laws and Islamic theocracy in the east

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do people care he said he'd bang Diana? People probably like that.

I really think engaging him on his own terms is a mistake. Clinton is not as funny, spontaneous, or...good at being a shithead.

I have heard claims from all three running candidates right now that the media is biased against them. And I have also heard accusations that the media gives passes to all three running candidates.

Went to the doc this morning because I'm not getting better and turns out I have a sinus infection boo. I had a Muslim woman as my doctor (she was wearing a hijab) and she was brilliant... diagnosed the reason I keep having sinus problems too. Fucking Trump wants to make it hard for people like her, guy can fuck himself in a sewer. Ugh. Got pissed off thinking about it. We need a diverse country, immigrants are what makes America

She definitely is, but she's also good about separation of church and state.

The latter is what really matters to me. I don't care what god you worship, but don't let that be the policy decider. Obviously morals and religion intersect for a lot of people, but the bad policy is stuff like crazy GoP religious based laws and Islamic theocracy in the east
Sinus problems suck. Hope you start to feel better.

Do people care he said he'd bang Diana? People probably like that.

I really think engaging him on his own terms is a mistake. Clinton is not as funny, spontaneous, or...good at being a shithead.

This. She needs to play to her strengths not his. She absolutely has no need to get into the mud with Donald Trump. That's his natural environment.

HUELEN10

If there's a candidate who would make a worse President than Trump it's Ben Carson. The only one that immediately comes to mind as on a similar level of shitastically awful is Herman Cain.

The only thing similar about Carson and Cain to my knowledge was their tax proposals though. Not a fan of flat taxes? If so, I understand and respect that people can be quite divided on the issue.

VRMN

I have heard claims from all three running candidates right now that the media is biased against them. And I have also heard accusations that the media gives passes to all three running candidates.
Those all come from the same root: the media likes scandal and discord and amplifies those stories as part of their obsession with process. Positive stories about policy don't get air time. So, yeah, the media is actually net negative on all three candidates. For the same reasons, opposing campaigns will often harp on the media for not covering their opponents' flaws in their policies or maybe not going all in on scandals they want covered more.

So really, they're kind of all right. Policy doesn't get covered and the media gets sick of scandals that don't take quickly and so let them drop.

Wilsongt

The only thing similar about Carson and Cain to my knowledge was their tax proposals though. Not a fan of flat taxes? If so, I understand and respect that people can be quite divided on the issue.
Haven't you been destroyed on why flat taxes are terrible on numerous occasions?

pigeon

Banned

Sorry, I don't respect that. Supporting a flat tax is kind of factually incorrect in my view. I won't go so far as to say morally, but you already crossed that Rubicon so what the heck.

I think many of us are exhausted from this primary and want to move onto the GE.

I am tired of the conspiracy theories and the obnoxious dank memes. I am tired of being called a corporate shill for simply not supporting Bernie.

HUELEN10

That is beyond me. I still don't understand how you can make money off elections. Good luck to all of you in the game though!

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me.
The sign was painted, said 'Private Property.'
But on the backside, it didn't say nothing.
This land was made for you and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom