• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see why it's confusing that people assume there's something wrong with an economic and political philosophy that was used to justify the biggest non-fascistic atrocities and disasters in human history.

Emarv

I think this is the height of it. They have a new shinny thing (The IG Report) to talk about. Nothing really knew and the fundamentals haven't changed.
The height will be the FBI ruling, no matter what their report says. After that, it'll mostly die down.

This is like blaming your fire alarm for the fire.

The observation was that only Marx gets picked on. My counterargument was that that's because it's more prudent to criticize Marxist economics when revolutions in the Soviet Union, China, Vietnam, Korea, Angola, Mongolia, Spain, Cuba, etc. etc. are all being led by people heaping praise on Marxism.

Holmes

CjfSQNiXEAICLI6.jpg:large

Or whoever it may be.

H
The rest... eh. He's not right about interest rates. I mean, I don't think the Fed's mandate is either, we should be looking at NGDP targeting or price path targeting and not inflation targeting, but Sanders is more wrong. :p He's right about banks keeping money out of the economy, but his policy solution is inane - if you charge banks money on their desposits, they'll just try and hold physical deposits and you end up with the normal shoestring problems. He's very much right about Fed transparency and how more direct Fed assistance helps, although I suspect for the wrong reasons.

Either way, I think the second part is the much less important part. The Budget Committee doesn't run the Fed. If you have good people in the relevant places, then Sanders' mutterings are kind of irrelevant. The most important part is getting those good people, and that, I think, is something Sanders would push for much more effectively than almost anyone else I can think of.

You are right that the Budget committee his influence on the Fed would be minimal, so his proposals have less weight but they're still nutty. The idea of filling key Fed positions with people who are not from the financial system would be disastrous. The Fed has a critical role in setting financial standards and the people making those decisions need expertise. I'm still wary of giving a key Senate committee chair to someone who doesn't understand this.

Iolo

Great! This should put an end to the new burst of smugness from (some) Bernie supporters, hopefully.

Also:

95% of the white working class vote needed to win New York? Please proceed, Trump.

I don't think 900% in DC is out of the realm of possibility either, ok.

Sanders must be feeling mighty dumb right now when Donald Fucking Trump has shown more respect for the primary process than Sanders and his campaign.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't that vindicate Sanders a ton now that Trump backed out?

Democrats acted like Sanders was gifting Trump the presidency by agreeing to the debate, but Trump wouldn't be backing out if that were the case.

Sanders must be feeling mighty dumb right now when Donald Fucking Trump has shown more respect for the primary process than Sanders and his campaign.

My god, you guys will spin everything to be anti sanders. It's downright ridiculous at this point.

pigeon

Banned

Democrats acted like Sanders was gifting Trump the presidency by agreeing to the debate, but Trump wouldn't be backing out if that were the case.

It doesn't vindicate Sanders but it does make a bunch of people look dumb for worrying about this, since, as people said since literally the beginning of Debateghazi, it was never going to happen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I've just realized; this is his general election pivot. Trying to grab everybody who voted for Bernie.

Yeah, that's like his entire GE pivot. Meanwhile, he is pivoting in the other direction on most other issues, or 360 pivoting on others.

Hillary SUXXXX0rs worse than wii u

Okay, this was pages ago, but no. The Wii U is awesome. Kind of. I don't know. We went to a wine tasting followed by a luncheon that was billed as a three cocktail lunch and fuck. They weren't lying. I can taste color right now. (For those interested, I had a Ruby Red Cosmo, a Cotton Candy Cosmo, and a Watermelon martini...)

ANYWAY,

Who'd have thought Trump would show more respect for the process than Bernie, huh? I knew that debate wouldn't happen.

Also, I went to the grocery store and I ordered this for when Queen clinches. I asked them to make the eagle cry. Because LOLOLOL.

Isn't that the tackiest thing EVER. OMG. I love it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't vindicate Sanders but it does make a bunch of people look dumb for worrying about this, since, as people said since literally the beginning of Debateghazi, it was never going to happen.

Why wouldn't it happen if it was only going to serve to hurt Hillary for the general election like so many people say it would?

pigeon

Banned
Why wouldn't it happen if it was only going to serve to hurt Hillary for the general election like so many people say it would?

That's my point, I think? I don't think that was a good understanding of the debate reality, so the people who thought that are crazy.

That doesn't vindicate Sanders! It does not necessarily mean it was a good idea for Sanders to plant a question with Jimmy Kimmel in order to spur the debate discussion and eat up three days of media time.

as a side note, does would anyone be interested in an EconGAF thread? I'm getting quite tired of some of the more poorly informed posts and was thinking about putting something together. I was thinking I'd start at a proper technical level, but try doing it with a fairly easy-going approach - start with utility curves, set up the First Fundamental Theorem and proof for GCEs, and then all the reasons the assumptions might not hold and why the pricing mechanism doesn't always deliver Pareto efficient outcomes. I think that's the important stuff because if you understand that, most of the rest of economics follows pretty naturally. Could also do the IS-PC-MR model with the QQ extension for a look at how modern monetary policy works, and when you want to use fiscal policy. Maybe a little bit on consumption and inequality.

I'd appreciate it. The posts on trade in this thread are kind of infuriating. Especially those taking the view that economists live in Ivory towers where the negative externalities from trade are neither discussed nor acknowledged.

There's gotta be a better name than Debateghazi. I mean, debate rhymes with Watergate! But, I can't figure it out. Whatdebate? Notdebate? I mean, it's got the right cadence, but it's not like anyone would actually no what it means. Bah.

Anyway, who could have seen this coming yadda yadda Trump write funny yadda yadda poor Bernie yadda yadda

Iolo

My god, you guys will spin everything to be anti sanders. It's downright ridiculous at this point.

It vindicates him in that he likely believed it would garner donations and media exposure and piss off the Democratic establishment, which it did on all three counts.

It did not vindicate him if he believed it would help him win the nomination, as the only remaining way to win would be to convince superdelegates to override voters and back him, and a stunt like this will not do so. Supers continue to move to the candidate with the most votes, pledged delegates, and momentum, as they should.

itschris

So, the attempt by a group of Sanders supporters to get a court to change the rules for California's primary didn't go their way (the suit won't be heard until August), so now they're filing for an emergency injunction:

Attorneys representing a group of Bernie Sanders supporters informed San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera Thursday night that they plan to file an "emergency request" with U.S. District Court Judge William Alsup in the city today "for a preliminary injunction" in California's June 7 presidential primary," Herrera's office said.

"I think it's unfortunate -- and selfish, frankly -- that these plaintiffs would inject confusion and uncertainty into an election that has been underway for weeks," Herrera said in a statement Thursday night. "San Francisco's Department of Elections and its employees have been doing an exemplary job, and I'm equally confident that our co-defendants are also meeting or exceeding their legal duties. This lawsuit is without merit, and there is no basis for an emergency injunction. I intend to fight it aggressively."

"The activists are seeking sweeping injunctive relief in their suit, including provisions to force 58 counties to segregate ballots already cast by unaffiliated voters; to allow "re-votes" by those voters for presidential primary candidates; and to extend the state's voter registration deadline -- which passed on May 23 for eligibility to vote in the June 7 primary -- until election day itself."

Iolo

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, the attempt by a group of Sanders supporters to get a court to change the rules for California's primary didn't go their way (the suit won't be heard until August), so now they're filing for an emergency injunction:

Sanders supporters sure love their lawsuits.
If they go after anything, they should disqualify the "American Independent Party" from being listed.

I still can't believe Donald Trump is the presidential nominee of a major political party. I bet efforts to educate these people would be looked as some type of government conspiracy to brainwash them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom