• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This mofo had a chance to surprise everyone and actually do great things for this country and he squandered a chance that only a few men in history get. Instead he's goign to go down as one truly fucked up human beings we've had in this country.

BTW fuck msncbc for hiring Greta Van sundstren.

Trurl

Banned
I feel like we should start organizing another march on Washington but this time shut the city down and stay there until Trump resigns.

Have I lost it? Other people must be having this idea. It's tempting to start a thread, I don't know how these things get started.

I doubt Trump would care if you marched on DC and occupied it, occupy Trump Tower and refuse to let anyone stay there.

Anyway, the people who thought Trump shouldn't be taken literally are qualified to lick my balls and asshole and absolutely nothing else.

The reason you guys have lost yer jerbs is that you're really fucking stupid.

At least the hardcore racists knew what they were voting for, the Rust Belt workers who thought "ehh, he won't do these things" >_>

UberTag

I feel like we should start organizing another march on Washington but this time shut the city down and stay there until Trump resigns.

Have I lost it? Other people must be having this idea.
This probably kicks off sometime next week. Especially when tonight's protests only spur Trump on to be even more defiant and his ABC interview outrages everyone that hasn't been paying attention to Spicer's press conferences.

But yeah... don't expect Trump to resign. You're more likely to see a decidedly more unpleasant outcome that will lead to uprisings around the country.

Have I lost it? Other people must be having this idea.

I think keeping up the marches is a good idea, less so on shutting down the entire city of DC (certain parts sure).

I know that DC Pride is talking about having a National Pride March in June, so maybe that'll be another big one.

Teggy

With these crazy-ass paranoid stories coming out I think you're going to hear more and more speculation that Trump is showing signs of Alzheimer's.

royalan

BTW fuck msncbc for hiring Greta Van sundstren.

Yeah, really fucked up the flow on MSNBC. Made me turn back to CNN for the first time in months.

And it's not just because she's conservative...she's just not very engaging. She asks boring questions, doesn't push back, has the most boring quests (from what I've seen), and her face like...doesn't move.

Futureman

What does China's investment in nuclear and clean energy look like compared to what the US is doing? I've heard people say in 10 years China will be so far past us that they'll be selling us clean energy tech. How true is that?

Diablos

What does China's investment in nuclear and clean energy look like compared to what the US is doing? I've heard people say in 10 years China will be so far past us that they'll be selling us clean energy tech. How true is that?
I have no clue but at this rate it sounds like a safe bet...

Their ability to subsidize individual industries outstrips anything our domestic innovation can do alone. Before subsidies were cut to American solar we produced like 83% of all panels around the world. Now China produces 90+ and we are already buying from them.

Zukkoyaki

Already suspended the school lunch program Michelle created.

Gonna be great when this and the healthcare system they implement hit the fan at the same time.
Throw in increased drug use and rural America is going to literally start dying off. It won't be quick but we're going to see lower life-expectancy and higher mortality rates sooner than later.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Honestly

What the fuck do we do

Dems and media aren't equipped for this

We are more prepared then folks think; this isn't the first time we've gone through this. McCarthy wasn't that long ago, and I think even folks who aren't normally spoiling for a fight are ready to fight.

Stay tuned.

Yes sir!

I'm going to be watching my senators and representatives like a fucking hawk.

I'm ok if schumer and co try to separate trump from the GOP with stuff like the infrastructure bill, but besides that - we need to hold the line and start pressuring the few moderate GOP senators we can. (I live in WA, so not many moderate folks here)

hawk2025

This is it, GAF.

I'm starting to prep to move out of the US, because I can only suspect that my green card process will be suspended.

I can only hope that Canada will take me.

This is it, GAF.

I'm starting to prep to move out of the US, because I can only suspect that my green card process will be suspended.

I'm so sorry, Hawk.

But this country isn't good enough for you either, we kind of are full of fascist morons.

Mental illness and heart problems are the leading causes of mortality here. The things that cause the most amount of harm and death to our country are quite preventable or at least treatable if people understand the problem.

Instead they worry about the scary ways they could die and not the boring killer already around them. Stupid amygdala.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Looking back, I wonder if a generic Republican would have beaten Hillary in my state (New Hampshire). Maybe the only reason he lost is because people here couldn't tolerate his disgusting behavior, unlike the fucking Rust Belt states. A Republican won the governorship for the first time in many years, but that might have only been because he had a recognizable last name.

royalan

DONT TRY TO SEPARATE TRUMP FROM THE GOP. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ocus_groups_reveal_clinton_s_big_blunder.html

It backfired on the Clinton campaign. You have to lump them all together.

Honestly, this was the moment that the dread started creeping in for me. There was a noticeable shift in campaign rhetoric shortly before the conventions, and suddenly every Democrat from Hillary to even Obama were spending significant chunks of their speeches extolling the "virtues" of the Republican party, and how Trump didn't represent them. How they didn't realize that would make it OK for Republicans to ignore Trump in favor of their preferred Republican politician is beyond me. Because it was obvious.

Hillary should have stuck with her message from early in the primaries: that Trumpism was the result of a toxic Republican party.

Honestly, this was the moment that the dread started creeping in for me. There was a noticeable shift in campaign rhetoric shortly before the conventions, and suddenly every Democrat from Hillary to even Obama were spending significant chunks of their speeches extolling the "virtues" of the Republican party, and how Trump didn't represent them. How they didn't realize that would make it OK for Republicans to ignore Trump in favor of their preferred Republican politician is beyond me. Because it was obvious.

Hillary should have stuck with her message from early in the primaries: that Trumpism was the result of a toxic Republican party.

Yeah it was a completely failed strategy which they tried to backpedal on in the end anyway with Obama trashing republicans.

It also let people think republicans would actually be a check on him. Looking back, the entire campaign strategy was fucked.

Wilsongt

Can you imagine history in 50 years?

"Mommy, what caused the US to become a barren wasteland of death?"
"A black man got elected president, sweetie."

Holmes

This is it, GAF.

I hope your application goes through. I'm lucky mine was accepted last September.

Diablos

Trump's executive actions are literally being passed with no consultation or input from anyone, or even plans on how to implement them. The agencies required to implement them learned about them when we did.

Seems like the entire administration is in chaos at this rapid legislation Trump is just deciding to make up on the fly.
Unfit. To. Serve.

I mean, why not Republicans? Then you get Pence which is an even better deal for you. He's like Dubya but a bit more heartless, masked by having a voice for radio!

Tarydax

Banned
DONT TRY TO SEPARATE TRUMP FROM THE GOP. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ocus_groups_reveal_clinton_s_big_blunder.html

It backfired on the Clinton campaign. You have to lump them all together.

Easily the dumbest thing her campaign ever did. She warned Obama early on in his presidency that his olive branch strategy wouldn't work, and years later she turned against her own advice. For the life of me, I can't understand why she would do that. She's a political veteran who witnessed firsthand how awful Republicans could be.

The worst part is, as far as I can tell, this is the strategy that Chuck Schumer is trying to employ, so he obviously hasn't taken any lessons from that campaign to heart. Divide and conquer doesn't work against Republicans because they're all united in their amorality. "Stronger Together" was completely untrue, and it seems like Democratic politicians are never going to realize that.

Fucking hell, what a year to lose Harry Reid.

These rapid, reckless executive actions are going to bite him.

There's no funding for them. There's no organization for them. Many of them are probably not even legal. If he had actually talked to someone, he'd have known that. But he didn't. So now he needs to spend time and resources defending his actions, and owning the embarrassment when they fail due to a lack of funding or because the courts shoot them down.

Tall4Life

He's literally doing everything he wanted immediately through executive orders. After the Pats win the SB, can we go back to a good timeline?

This may sound ridiculous but does anyone think one way to defeat Trump is memes? Republicans seem to have a monopoly on political humour and that can be a very appealing tool for those not entirely invested in politics. On Facebook (this is of course anecdotal) I am bombarded by right-wing anti-feminist wings without any response other than anger from the left, and while of course I sympathise with this attitude if I were a neutral I surely be more inclined to join the side having fun rather than those being offended. For years people could make fun of the GOP idiocy in regards to climate change and vaccination but now in a way the tables have flipped. The Dems are the anti-science fighting against 'biology' and so on. To be clear, we're not dealing in reality here just the fantasy land of redditors and rust belters. Anyway I think its worth a shot

Of the 4 nominees so far (Haley isn't cabinet, just cabinet-level):

3 votes against:

Gillibrand
Heinrich
Udall

2 votes against:

Kamala
Coons
Van Hollen
Warren
Cortez Masto
Booker
Wyden
Merkley
Sanders

1 vote against:

Bennet
Carper
Nelson
Hirono
Durbin
Duckworth
Cardin
Markey
Stabenow
Peters
Franken
Tester
Menendez
Brown
Casey
Leahy
Murray
Cantwell
Baldwin

Everyone above voted against Pompeo.

PKrockin

This may sound ridiculous but does anyone think one way to defeat Trump is memes? Republicans seem to have a monopoly on political humour and that can be a very appealing tool for those not entirely invested in politics. On Facebook (this is of course anecdotal) I am bombarded by right-wing anti-feminist wings without any response other than anger from the left, and while of course I sympathise with this attitude if I were a neutral I surely be more inclined to join the side having fun rather than those being offended. For years people could make fun of the GOP idiocy in regards to climate change and vaccination but now in a way the tables have flipped. The Dems are the anti-science fighting against 'biology' and so on. To be clear, we're not dealing in reality here just the fantasy land of redditors and rust belters. Anyway I think its worth a shot
Absolutely. Talk radio especially is exhausting to listen to because it's 24/7 hate and screaming, and it keeps the true believers in a constant state of outrage. IIRC, anger is the emotion that most strongly compels you to share ideas/"memes" that evoked that emotion from you. Democrats not being constantly whipped up into a frothy rage is what kills them in midterms and on the local level, IMO.

Yes, and it'll take forever because the American Pendulum demands that everything be fixed immediately or people jump back into the arms of Republicans.
Independents are so stupid they voted for the party that just fucked us hardcore not 8 years ago, so that combined with the voter ID laws and gerrymandering I'm sure is coming makes me think the country is totally fucked.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Whenever Democrats get elected again, they're going to have to spend their entire term fixing the country again, aren't they.

I'm at the point where I believe it's going to be so bad that I'd have no issue with an incoming democrat president issuing 100 executive actions a day to fix things ASAP.

Kusagari

So we basically got the worst version of Trump imaginable.

He's ignoring advice from everyone and just doing whatever the fuck he wants. God give me Shadow President Pence at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom