• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tillerson lied under oath today and based on my memory of the 90s, that is literally the worst thing you can possibly do so I expect all Republicans to vote against him.

Also, if today we're doing 'disillusion people about candidates they thought were good', well...

If Harris wants a shot, her best chance is capturing the Obama coalition. That might be difficult to do if she continues her current trend of obviously moderating in a way that is detrimental to civil rights causes. There's too many Democrats making clumsy bids for an imagined centre ground as prelude to setting up presidential runs.

It's not an enormous danger yet (hence why I highlighted she still has support), but it's setting a trend of Gabbard wanting to be discussed in respect to a Trump presidential pick and Booker sliming up to a cabinet appointee. A much less bad example, but you get the drift. There are some things worth fighting for and this is an important one that shouldn't have been dropped for image concerns.
This is actually interesting since cops in SF loathe Kamala and thought she had a huge anti cop agenda as district attorney/AG while giving speeches to them.

Kamala shouldn't worry about the black part of the Obama coalition liking her because many already very much do. Her being the second black female senator (and supporting BLM in her victory speech) was a big deal on election day and even got over to a load of Jamaican-americans. I don't think this stuff will stick unless she's exposed as being actually pro cop.

It's kinda bad that whenever something about trump is revealed that we have people suddenly calling us to put Hillary in the presidency. I get the desire for that to happen, but lets be clear. That result is never going to happen. First off, Trump would have to be impeached. It takes the house to impeach and the senate would have to find him guilty of an act that satisfies the constitution to remove him from power. The conviction must also be of "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors." Kinda doubt this is gonna happen.

But even if it did, the line of succession is clear. It doesn't give the runner up the presidency. You'd have the Vice President and then the speaker of the house. Even if somehow the Vice President became President, he can nominate a new vice president. Even if somehow the speaker of the house became President, the house would elect a new speaker. Unless the house votes Hillary as the speaker of the house and somehow trump and pence are ousted at virtually the same time (or at least before a new vice president would be confirmed)....

It's just a waste of time discussing Hillary in the white house at this point. The more realistic goal has been and still is getting a different republican in the white house and who that would ideally be.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People who you should support in 2020 no matter their ideology because they seem like they won't run a fucking mess of a campaign that's scandal ridden:

Sherrod
Roy Cooper
Cortez Masto
JBE
Baldwin
Bullock
Kander
Klobuchar
Franken
Murphy
O'Malley
Duckworth

Undecided:

Kamala
Biden
Deval

No:

Coumo
de Blasio
Booker
Castro
Newsom
Gabbard

Biden in "Undecided?" Come on.

People who you should support in 2020 no matter their ideology because they seem like they won't run a fucking mess of a campaign that's scandal ridden:

Sherrod
Roy Cooper
Cortez Masto
JBE
Baldwin
Bullock
Kander
Klobuchar
Franken
Murphy
O'Malley
Duckworth

Undecided:

Kamala
Biden
Deval

No:

Coumo
de Blasio
Booker
Castro
Newsom
Gabbard
Aside from age, what's the concern about Deval Patrick? Working at Bain Capital? I'm not really familiar with him.

Other than that and JBE/O'Malley (not that they'll run) I agree with this list.

NeoXChaos

Sherrod
Roy Cooper
Cortez Masto
JBE
Baldwin
Bullock
Kander
Klobuchar
Franken
Murphy
O'Malley
Duckworth

Undecided:

Kamala
Biden
Deval

No:

Coumo
de Blasio
Booker
Castro
Newsom
Gabbard

lol your not taking him away from us and I'm confident he has no presidential aspirations + he has to worry about reelection first.

This is actually interesting since cops in SF loathe Kamala and thought she had a huge anti cop agenda as district attorney/AG while giving speeches to them.

Kamala shouldn't worry about the black part of the Obama coalition liking her because many already very much do. Her being the second black female senator (and supporting BLM in her victory speech) was a big deal on election day and even got over to a load of Jamaican-americans. I don't think this stuff will stick unless she's exposed as being actually pro cop.

Plus her whole intro into being a politician was defeating a corrupt-cop-defending incumbent for San Francisco DA.

Finalizer

Roy Cooper

While I hope he does well as our governor, I can't see him pulling much of anything off as a presidential candidate. He doesn't seem to have the kind of charisma needed to inspire the left's younger voters to get to the polls. That said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this one.

How the fuck can someone argue that NATO is "US aggression"? Like do people not get that the Baltic States joined NATO of their own volition to get protection from Russian aggression?

it's almost like none of you read the caveat at the start of my post about whether these were people you should support, only that they're likely to have scandal-lite campaigns

I mean, this happened yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FGzmeGO1-A

I think Kamala will be good.

How the fuck can someone argue that NATO is "US aggression"? Like do people not get that the Baltic States joined NATO of their own volition to get protection from Russian aggression?

No country other than the United States has agency in the minds of most Americans (right and left) and really stupid people in Europe.

it's almost like none of you read the caveat at the start of my post about whether these were people you should support, only that they're likely to have scandal-lite campaigns
I read it but I was dismayed to see that you declined to include bernie in the people you should support in 2020 list

I can dream of a Warren or Franken ticket with Kander as VP. But knowing the Dems it's gonna be Cuomo/Booker or some shit...

Iowa and New Hampshire being the first two states will help in stopping something like that I think.

Bernie will likely have a massive influence in deciding who gets the nom. And no way he endorses the parties corporate losers. Sure he might fuck up with a bad endorsement but it won't be an "unexciting" pick

I can dream of a Warren or Franken ticket with Kander as VP. But knowing the Dems it's gonna be Cuomo/Booker or some shit...

NO. ANYONE BUT WARREN. Seriously Warren is the worst choice. The GOP has already put in a shitload of work of painting Warren as the next Hillary.

Even Booker would be better than Warren.

I think Warren would suffer from many of the same problems Clinton had - she's shrill, she lectures, she doesn't connect to dipshits in rural Indiana. No she doesn't have an email scandal on her hands but I also don't believe Clinton was brought down by solely one thing.

Brown is probably the best candidate on paper, but like someone here said that's mostly in response to this year's election. There's no telling what the political climate in 2020 will be like, and that could very well require a different candidate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NO. ANYONE BUT WARREN. Seriously Warren is the worst choice. The GOP has already put in a shitload of work of painting Warren as the next Hillary.

Even Booker would be better than Warren.

This. I love Warren, but it would be a disaster.

I'd be all up for a Franken/Kander ticket.

I read the caveat. Just disagree that Biden would have a scandal of some sort. He was VP for 8 years in two separate elections. They would have targeted him already.

Crocodile

Man the past few days have been such concentrated fuckery I still can't make head or tails of this shit AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED THE NEW PRESIDENCY. These next four years are going to be awful........

Iowa and New Hampshire being the first two states will help in stopping something like that I think.

Bernie will likely have a massive influence in deciding who gets the nom. And no way he endorses the parties corporate losers. Sure he might fuck up with a bad endorsement but it won't be an "unexciting" pick

The question is if Warren or Fraken can win the South. Kander would be competitive there but I still think he's too green?

Also after all of Sanders' bitching during the 2016 primary about "establishment" and "super delegates" I would be really annoyed if he tried to play Kingmaker in the 2020 primary. Just let that shit play out naturally. I think it might be best if national profile politicians erred on the side of not endorsing early? Also everyone Sanders has endorsed so far except Ellison has been kind of awful? Maybe he'll be better about that in the future but right now that record is kind of sketch :/

I don't think running an up-and-comer for VP is a good idea. The only one who actually won is Quayle and he was a drag on the ticket for both elections. Try to get an exciting VP, but make it someone like Brown or Klobuchar who can synergize and keep the message clear. Also, if the donor class says "please don't pick X, we much prefer Y" in the middle of choosing the VP, maybe not picking Y would be a good idea.

Plinko

I don't think running an up-and-comer for VP is a good idea. The only one who actually won is Quayle and he was a drag on the ticket for both elections. Try to get an exciting VP, but make it someone like Brown or Klobuchar who can synergize and keep the message clear. Also, if the donor class says "please don't pick X, we much prefer Y" in the middle of choosing the VP, maybe not picking Y would be a good idea.

Warren would be a much better VP in this role.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sherrod
Roy Cooper
Cortez Masto
JBE
Baldwin
Bullock
Kander
Klobuchar
Franken
Murphy
O'Malley
Duckworth

Can't risk losing Brown's senate seat, so that's him gone. Ohio is getting steadily redder; with incumbency bonus due to a well-loved local politician, Dems can fight that a while longer, so no go. Same deal with Roy Cooper - no more losing politicians from swing areas, especially when the Democrats have so few governorships. John Bel Edwards is *super* conservative by Dem standards, won't make it out of the primaries. Bullock has same problem as Cooper and Brown. Kander is... a nobody. Total nobody. Let him get office first. Franken is smug liberal on a stick. Not happening. O'Malley's Baltimore record shouldn't be good enough for Democrats.

Short list is: Baldwin, Klobuchar, Duckworth, Cortez-Masto

Y'all know Duckworth is my favourite, but that's my tuppence. Klobuchar second.

Neither are especially close to me ideologically, but I think they're the two candidates most likely to win.

Except Gore and Biden (and Pence to be honest) prove that you don't need an exciting VP, you just need an experienced, old, white, male VP to check off the "Well experienced" part of the whole ticket.

Plinko

I'm so disgusted by these hearings. Half of these people would be unqualified a mere 4 years ago.

Can't risk losing Brown's senate seat, so that's him gone. Ohio is getting steadily redder; with incumbency bonus due to a well-loved local politician, Dems can fight that a while longer, so no go. Same deal with Roy Cooper - no more losing politicians from swing areas, especially when the Democrats have so few governorships. John Bel Edwards is *super* conservative by Dem standards, won't make it out of the primaries. Bullock has same problem as Cooper and Brown. Kander is... a nobody. Total nobody. Let him get office first. Franken is smug liberal on a stick. Not happening. O'Malley's Baltimore record shouldn't be good enough for Democrats.

Neither are especially close to me ideologically, but I think they're the two candidates most likely to win.

Both Nevada and Wisconsin could easily elect Republicans to replace Cortez-Masto and Baldwin, so you'd be losing politicians from swing areas.

Gore, Biden, and Pence are all important in their own way to the ticket even if they aren't conventionally "exciting" to young people. Gore was a signal to southern Democrats and the liberal professionals that the Clinton ticket really is for them. Biden was a "older mentor" but also reassured the upper Midwestern WWC (a third of the Obama coalition!) that Obama was on their side like previous Democrats. Pence helped cement evangelicals who were, y'know, concerned that Trump might not hate gay people and women enough. Importantly though, they were also seasoned enough politicians to not cause problems for the ticket. I think even Kaine was important in helping win over the college whites that Clinton targeted immediately after the DNC.

I think if Brown or Klobuchar gets the nomination they should almost certainly take the other as their running mate.

This list was literally nothing to do with ideology or chance of winning.

Both Nevada and Wisconsin could easily elect Republicans to replace Cortez-Masto and Baldwin, so you'd be losing politicians from swing areas.

Yes and the upside of nominating people from swing states is that they have a better chance of winning those swing states and those around them.

JBE doesn't have a scandalous bone in his body but he is also way too far to the right to run for president. He's my governor and I like him a lot but only place I see him after 8 years here is Congress.

Inappropriate joke alert:

What's the difference between a chick pea and a garbanzo bean?
Trump's never had a garbanzo bean on his face.

The director of the Office of Government Ethics went in on Trump's conflicts of interest today:

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/20170111_oge_shaub_remarks.pdf

One choice morsel:

Back when he was working for the Justice Department, the late Antonin Scalia also wrote an opinion
declaring that a President should avoid engaging in conduct prohibited by the government’s ethics regulations,
even if they don’t apply. Justice Scalia warned us that there would be consequences if a President ever failed to
adhere to the same standards that apply to lower level officials. The sheer obviousness of Justice Scalia’s words
becomes apparent if you just ask yourself one question: Should a President hold himself to a lower standard
than his own appointees?

also

Now, some have said that the President can’t have a conflict of interest, but that is quite obviously not
true.

Dear national press: You're allowed to say things like this. You don't have to wait for the director of the OGE.

I'd be all up for a Franken/Kander ticket.

Someone mentioned Franken here in the week after the election and I have been hell bent on the idea ever since. I think he's absolutely the perfect choice to run in 2020. Unfortunately he has outright said he has no intention of doing so, but maybe he'll come around when he sees what Republicans do in the next few years. The Democrats need to get Kander on the national stage asap. The guy is perfect for a Southern Democrat. Buckets of charisma, stands up for his beliefs, young, no major ties to the Hillary-era establishment, acceptable on guns to pull in moderate voters, military background--it's like the dude was bread to be a Southern Democrat. In 8-12 years there's no reason this guy shouldn't be a significant part of the Democratic Party.

I will vote for the Democrat candidate in 2020, no matter who it is. Nothing is worse than Republicans in power.

Like, if the choice is between someone who might secretly look out for the interests of the wealthy while throwing some bones to the poor, and a party that openly and brazenly does everything in its power to promote the interests of the wealthy and says fuck you to poor people, the environment, minorities, etc. . . . It's a fucking no-brainer.

I don't understand the conniptions over voting for a guy like Booker. Someone said they would vote R over him . . . Give me a fucking break. Check his voting record and compare it to the R platform.

If your concern is that he would lose, let me remind you that he is charming as a motherfucker and a great public speaker. Two things Hillary didn't have. That's the most important thing these days. He may not be my #1 in the primary but if he gets the nomination he'll have my enthusiastic support.

I don't understand the conniptions over voting for a guy like Booker.

They are worried about ties to Wall Street since for some reason people think that's a major reason Hillary suffered. The difference is Hillary lost for a multitude of other reasons, and most of her Wall Street interactions were as a private citizen after she left State. There's a massive difference between taking campaign donations as a New Jersey Senator from Wall Street, and going there and making several million dollars giving speeches to them imo. At least with Booker he can point to the fact that a lot of the people who work on Wall Street live in Jersey, so he was taking donations from his actual constituents.

Disagree with your point about Brown's Senate seat. I'm not from Ohio so maybe this is too much of an outsider's perspective and obviously the Senate is important, but the presidency is far more valuable than a single Senate seat.

Put it this way, I'd be much happier with President Brown and a 53-47 GOP Senate than President Trump and a 52-48 GOP Senate.

That's true too. If the governor of Ohio in 2020 is a Democrat (not that I think this is super probable) it would be a total non issue.
Dream big! The GOP has the governor's mansions for Maryland, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Vermont. It's not for sure but I think Ohio is definitely within reach in 2018.

My bigger worry is Kasich running for Brown's seat, but I guess if Brown loses that he wasn't going to win the presidency in 2020 anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom