• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Even several GOP whips tasked with drumming up support for the bill said Monday night they have not yet made up their minds on whether to support the revised American Health Care Act.

:lol

Paul Ryan running another well oiled machine over there

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I would appreciate if this still dies in Congress. Getting shoved upwards towards the Senate would be a minor win for Trump and I don't want him to get anything out of this madness.

Trump thinks it would be a win, but it wouldn't. This bill being passed in the House and failing to progress any further is literally the worst case scenario for the Republican party.

Not only would their bill not be law, but democrats in two hundred districts nationwide would run in 2018 saying "My opponent voted to take away your healthcare."

Trump thinks it would be a win, but it wouldn't. This bill being passed in the House and failing to progress any further is literally the worst case scenario for the Republican party.

Not only would their bill not be law, but democrats in two hundred districts nationwide would run in 2018 saying "My opponent voted to take away your healthcare."

Yep. Voting on this is the worst possible idea for the GOP going into 2018. It's why "vote on it now, the Senate will fix it" isn't working on the maybes.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What is a Reputation Tax?

You mean Repatriation Tax?

It's a lowered tax rate to return the money companies have abroad to the united states, replacing any normal taxes we'd put on that money. The argument is that a little tax revenue is better than none and it's better for the money to be circulating in our economy, but doing so further encourages companies to hide their money in tax havens until they can get the repatriation tax break.

Currently, many companies get that money back to the united states by buying out other companies with that tax haven money, and erasing the owed taxes that way.

Owzers

CNN sane republican guy ( not the trump people): actually we are the monsters you assumed we were.

Kimmel thing was cheap, we still have the emergency room, people don't die etc.

it would be a huge win for paul ryan

or rather, it would prevent a disaster for him

It would suck for everyone else in the house and senate

Agreed. Getting people to commit to yes votes so the senate has to now deal with public backlash doesn't seem like a win to me. I don't see that as a win for Trump either.

tuxfool

Banned
CNN sane republican guy ( not the trump people): actually we are the monsters you assumed we were.

Kimmel thing was cheap, we still have the emergency room, people don't die etc.

C-1gSgYXcAALMPG.jpg

Lying sacks of shit.

Slizeezyc

C-1gSgYXcAALMPG.jpg

Lying sacks of shit.

I still don't get why anyone but a monster would be okay with this. Is the argument that healthcare isn't a given right in a country? Or that healthcare is a business only and thus obviously it should be run like any business would with each person paying depending on age etc?

It's just hard for me to fathom arguments against healthcare for folks because, like, they'll die otherwise, or be broke and die.

pigeon

Banned
it would be a huge win for paul ryan

or rather, it would prevent a disaster for him

It would suck for everyone else in the house and senate

It's not really a win for Paul Ryan to force a bunch of Republicans in suddenly vulnerable seats to take a vote they're getting yelled at in town halls over.

Literally it's the Speaker's job to prevent dumb bills like this from getting votes.

You guys are underestimating how low the bar is for Trump again. Getting the bill out of the House would be a "win" because of how much trouble they've had with it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
To give the literal devil his due, that change would mean that emergency treatment would not be reimbursed, not that it wouldn't be available. There would be no change to EMTALA.

Furthermore, regardless of the law if you come into my ER actually dying I don't give a fuck what your insurance status is, and neither does anyone else in the ER.

The Republican plan would of course just leave people in even more crushing debt without fixing any actual problems.

"The emergency room is universal healthcare" is one of the dumbest arguments ever conceived.

EDIT: Just to be perfectly clear, this is no way intended to be a response to the post immediately above me. It's directed at GOP talking points.

tuxfool

Banned
It's not really a win for Paul Ryan to force a bunch of Republicans in suddenly vulnerable seats to take a vote they're getting yelled at in town halls over.

Literally it's the Speaker's job to prevent dumb bills like this from getting votes.

The Speaker's job is to protect people from the bill he crafted.

Vestal

Gold Member
I still don't get why anyone but a monster would be okay with this. Is the argument that healthcare isn't a given right in a country? Or that healthcare is a business only and thus obviously it should be run like any business would with each person paying depending on age etc?

It's just hard for me to fathom arguments against healthcare for folks because, like, they'll die otherwise, or be broke and die.

Republicans don't believe that Healthcare is a right no, at least not as a party.. But even a Trump supporter I know at work in my conversations with him (YEAH I KNOW IM A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT) I have brought him to say that Healthcare is a right and not a privilege.

They believe or they want you to believe that Health Insurance should be all about the free market, and that shitty healthcare on the cheap is better than minimum accepted insurance subsidized by the Government.

Wilsongt

Joe Walsh @WalshFreedom

Sorry Jimmy Kimmel: your sad story doesn't obligate me or anybody else to pay for somebody else's health care.
1:39 PM · May 2, 2017

Geeze

This is an odd way to frame Ryan failing at getting the votes for a bill he crafted. If Ryan gave a shit about moderate house R's he should have crafted a different bill

Edit: to further expound on this. Ryan believes his bill is truely conservative. He thinks the GOP is largely missing the forest for the trees. This is their opportunity to cap a federal "handout". He wants to hang his hat on this shit because he doesn't think it's garbage

Edit 2: we give credit to Pelosi for getting votes not for protecting seats

Joe Walsh @WalshFreedom

Sorry Jimmy Kimmel: your sad story doesn't obligate me or anybody else to pay for somebody else's health care.

Geeze
Joe Walsh's tweets are great though because everyone responds about him not paying child support

He also occasionally comes very close to being self aware ("if healthcare is a right, does that mean people have a right to housing? food? jobs?") and then completely rebounds to total craziness.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

It generally is a worry about incentivizing laziness and taking from the deserving to give to the undeserving. It comes from Ayn Rand and Calvinist Christian philosophies of wealth equalling to self worth, which is probably the core of republican philosophy.

Wilsongt

Joe Walsh's tweets are great though because everyone responds about him not paying child support

He also occasionally comes very close to being self aware ("if healthcare is a right, does that mean people have a right to housing? food? jobs?") and then completely rebounds to total craziness.

Not to mention, provided he actually pays taxes, he already pays for other people's healthcare in the form of social security, medicare, etc.

It really shows how the conversation on healthcare has changed with Obamacare. No matter how much Republicans try to destroy it, the public overwhelmingly is convinced of its core components.

I made a broad generalized statement and it was incorrect and wrong. I will own that. But lets not pretend most leading democratic candidates are not anti gun.

I wish the Democratic party were as anti gun as I am, because then maybe we wouldn't have a country where thousands of people die needlessly every year because people think they're going to be Dirty Harry if they get mugged.

It really shows how the conversation on healthcare has changed with Obamacare. No matter how much Republicans try to destroy it, the public overwhelmingly is convinced of its core components.

I mean, the truth is, all of the regulations in the ACA were always popular. It was always the mandate _and_ the massive lies that made it unpopular.

Wilsongt

Looks like democrats have chosen who will run in that special house race for SC-5 now.
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/331571-south-carolina-primary

I'm surprised Chad Connolly didn't nab this. He had the whole old Vietnam war veterans talking about repealing Obamacare, building a wall, etc in his commercials. Plus he was your typical fat, old white guy with Christian values.

Also, I have found that Republicans are only okay with lawyers if they are Prosecutors. If they are defense attorneys the GOP goes out of their way to find the sleaziest person that they had a defend if they were a state appointed defense attorney.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Joe Walsh @WalshFreedom

Geeze
Does he pay for inaurance of any kind?

If so, he's alrady doing that.

This is a big part of why it was so important to pass the ACA, even with all its flaws. Once you give people a benefit it's very hard to take it away, and coverage for preexisting conditions is a great example of that. It's not that people weren't upset about denying coverage for preexisting conditions, but it was a practice that was on some level accepted. Now it's unthinkable. And Republicans are running into the problem that most of the components of the ACA are popular and the whole thing relies on its most visibly unpopular part, the individual mandate. People expect any replacement to provide all the benefits the ACA does, and the only real ways to do that are, well, the ACA and something further left.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised Chad Connolly didn't nab this. He had the whole old Vietnam war veterans talking about repealing Obamacare, building a wall, etc in his commercials. Plus he was your typical fat, old white guy with Christian values.

Also, I have found that Republicans are only okay with lawyers if they are Prosecutors. If they are defense attorneys the GOP goes out of their way to find the sleaziest person that they had a defend if they were a state appointed defense attorney.
Don't forget "trial lawyers"!

The last sentence here has a little hypothesis that is generally understood without statement, but this assumes the dumb bill isn't the Speaker's in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom