• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
https://twitter.com/aliranger29/status/878428841773019136

DDDOXs5VoAAbvUQ.jpg
She is on cnn now

Daria

State_Legislative_Partisan_Control_in_2017_Hexmap.png

Dems have to change these things first and along with winning the house and all that.

Synder is out in 2018, there's no doubt about it. My money is on MI flipping and going full blue.

The saddest thing is that Zuckerberg presumably thinks that was a good political move, when in reality it made him look like the most insincere and forced candidate since that one who made a Pokemon Go joke.

teasing

But I agree with everyone else. I don't understand who his market is. It's not me, it's not you, it's not angry populists, it's not minority communities, it's just totally unclear what he thinks he's going to achieve.

He wants the Jared Kushner clones coming from Ivy's.

jmood88

The thing that no one seems to be talkng about in all of this is the way costs that doctors report to insurance have skyrocketed. Why can it possibly cost $20k for two weeks in a hospital room? Same for all other very standard procedures.

It's similar to college costs - how can it cost $250,000 for 4 years of college when it used to cost a fraction of that 20 years ago, a change well above the rate of inflation.
I tore my Achilles' tendon a couple years ago and was "accidentally" sent a bill and the assholes were going to charge me $1,100 for a splint made out of an ace bandage and a foam pad.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Hillary Clinton colluded with the Democratic Party in order to beat Crazy Bernie Sanders. Is she allowed to so collude? Unfair to Bernie!

So we all know how Trump projects. If we continue that pattern, he's pretty much admitting here that he colluded with Russia. He always tries to get out ahead of news stories, too, so I wonder if what Comey's friend was referring to is going to be related to this.

Edit: Oriel said the same thing.

Daria

I understand the hesitation but after the Flint crisis, nobody with half a brain is falling for a "businessmen" type campaign that Synder ran on. Kildee isn't running for Gov. because he wants to stay in the House; MI 119th district has a special election, which was previously held by a Dem, because of the late reps suicide.

Oh, and Ford cut jobs. There goes some of their working base

I understand the hesitation but after the Flint crisis, nobody with half a brain is falling for a "businessmen" type campaign that Synder ran on. Kildee isn't running for Gov. because he wants to stay in the House; MI 119th district has a special election, which was previously held by a Dem, because of the late reps suicide.

Oh, and Ford cut jobs. There goes some of their working base

I mean...Trump won after Flint.

Daria

I mean...Trump won after Flint.

Yea, by 11,000 votes and after being behind in every poll besides one leading up to the election. The final result was 47.6% > 47.3%. That is nothing to feel safe about.

We also can't forget that MI has no same-day voter registration, it has no automatic voter registration, and you need valid IDs. this election was not traditional.

Yea, by 11,000 votes and after being behind in every poll besides one leading up to the election. The final result was 47.6% > 47.3%. That is nothing to feel safe about.

We also can't forget that MI has no same-day voter registration, it has no automatic voter registration, and you need valid IDs. this election was not traditional.

It's not like those things won't exist in 2018 unless I missed some new court ruling?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also they don't need much to be riled. Like look at the Anthony Kennedy thread. "This sucks" -> "but her emails" -> "it's not good enough to not vote for a crazy person" -> chaos

dramatis

Say, out of curiosity if the primaries ran on popular votes alone, no delegates and such, would that be weird and not quite workable?

Daria

It's not like those things won't exist in 2018 unless I missed some new court ruling?

no court ruling but there are bills being proposed to make voting requirements stricter in regards to ID's. Haven't seen much talk from anyone about voter reform in Michigan but i'm sure they're out there

Say, out of curiosity if the primaries ran on popular votes alone, no delegates and such, would that be weird and not quite workable?

isn't this how a democracy is suppose to work?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ABC News Politics‏Verified account @ABCPolitics

.@SenatorCollins to @GStephanopoulos: "The Senate bill is going to have more impact on the Medicaid program than even the House bill."

Amazing. She says it is much worse for Medicaid than the House bill, but watch her vote for it.

Right, but I still think the pendulum is swinging further right in Michigan. Brain drain is having a huge effect, and that generally means more liberal voters leaving the state. The red areas are getting redder. The blue ones aren't getting bluer. I originally thought they'd go red in 2020 or 2024, but they went much earlier.

dramatis

isn't this how a democracy is suppose to work?
The Primary system is different. Especially since the overall primary comprises of a mix of caucuses and 'primaries', since every state likes to do their own thing.

The reason the delegates are present, I guess it's for physical representation at the national convention, because there is a limit to how many people can fit even in a football stadium.

Also, one of the issues between primary and caucus for states is the cost of running one versus the other. The way I thought of it is that the whole primary election is a complicated strategy game, and the winner is usually someone who managed to squeeze around and adapt to the best of their ability.

But suppose we let the primary run to the end and the victor of total popular vote be the actual victor, would that actually be a proper reflection of the party's electorate?

Getting rid of caucuses would hurt outsider candidates with energized supporters like Bernie and Obama somewhat.
Ironically, caucuses are undemocratic.

Plinko

Just reading through how much the working poor are going to be destroyed by these health care premiums. Unconscionable.

Daria

Getting rid of caucuses would hurt outsider candidates with energized supporters like Bernie and Obama somewhat.

Those two were career politicans though, not really an "outsider" a la DT. Granted Bernie flipped from I to Dem for the primaries, he's still been there. The issue is that people will vote down the party line and not look at third party. That won't change for a while.

Right, but I still think the pendulum is swinging further right in Michigan. Brain drain is having a huge effect, and that generally means more liberal voters leaving the state. The red areas are getting redder. The blue ones aren't getting bluer. I originally thought they'd go red in 2020 or 2024, but they went much earlier.

It may be shifting but the white population has been declining over the past years while everyone else has been rising. Taking into account Dearborn, the largest muslim concentration, and all of the manufacturing cities, they're going to need to push back at some point. Ford is cutting jobs, Synder is poisoning people, we're on the verge of legalizing marijuana, yet we're trying to make voting more strict and our police violence has been on the rise a little. Looking at all of this and at how many seats are up for grabs in 2018, it's almost sickening. The hope is that we can flip some of those seats blue in midterms so that 2020 will be a fair fight.

Plinko

Those two were career politicans though, not really an "outsider" a la DT. Granted Bernie flipped from I to Dem for the primaries, he's still been there. The issue is that people will vote down the party line and not look at third party. That won't change for a while.

It may be shifting but the white population has been declining over the past years while everyone else has been rising. Taking into account Dearborn, the largest muslim concentration, and all of the manufacturing cities, they're going to need to push back at some point. Ford is cutting jobs, Synder is poisoning people, we're on the verge of legalizing marijuana, yet we're trying to make voting more strict and our police violence has been on the rise a little. Looking at all of this and at how many seats are up for grabs in 2018, it's almost sickening. The hope is that we can flip some of those seats blue in midterms so that 2020 will be a fair fight.

Statistics I am looking at show Michigan's white population staying exactly the same over the past few years.

Just reading through how much the working poor are going to be destroyed by these health care premiums. Unconscionable.

Just one example:

Mark Elliott‏ @markmobility 19h19 hours ago
More
A 60 year-old making $50k from @SenatorCollins hometown of Caribou, Maine
ACA: $2,080
BRCA: $17,030

This really is the most regressive bill in American history. Anyone not making six figures who votes for the GOP is a complete fool.

etrain911

Synder is out in 2018, there's no doubt about it. My money is on MI flipping and going full blue.

He wants the Jared Kushner clones coming from Ivy's.

I don't think it will go full blue, having lived here my whole life, but I don't see Snyder surviving after fucking up Detroit, Flint, the Great Lakes, and the school system as badly as he did.

Daria

Statistics I am looking at show Michigan's white population staying exactly the same over the past few years.

You got me on this. I was looking at 2010 thinking it was 2016. But to clarify now, census estimation for 2010 -> 2016 puts white population (claiming one race) at +1% and AA staying the same, but Asian, Latino and hispanic all rising 0.5-1%. White, non latino or hispanic is estimated to drop 1%.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Just one example:

This really is the most regressive bill in American history. Anyone not making six figures who votes for the GOP is a complete fool.

This morning on twitter I saw a Trump supporter talking shit, and the top post on his profile was a gofundme for his medical expenses with a long description of his physical and mental problems and how he and his roommate survive on disability and food stamps.

This is honestly the prototypical rural Republican voter. At a certain point it becomes extremely hard to have any sympathy.

Plinko

I don't think it will go full blue, having lived here my whole life, but I don't see Snyder surviving after fucking up Detroit, Flint, the Great Lakes, and the school system as badly as he did.

My one concern about the governorship is that I don't know much about Gretchen Whitmer. Is she a strong candidate? Can she overcome the ridiculous level of sexism in the state?

Daria

My one concern about the governorship is that I don't know much about Gretchen Whitmer. Is she a strong candidate? Can she overcome the ridiculous level of sexism in the state?

Me and many other michigan residents regarding Whitmer: who?

Many health care workers, execs and firms are going to continue to make great $ relative to their international peers, live the good life and take up a huge share of the US economy. Doesn't matter if that's pre-ACA, post-ACA, or in a scenario where ACA is repealed. It's not the end of the world by any stretch for them.

Alternatively, poor people and sick populations will be dead or broke well before Medicaid, Medicare, and private insurance schemes are in huge trouble because of surging health care costs swamping the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom