• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

I wonder at what point getting in front of the story does more harm than good. Some of Trump's followers aren't actually idiots, they're just ignorant. Surely some of them would start to see a correlation between his random outbursts and contradictory information following shortly thereafter.

I wish just once the White House would be asked for comment like 30 seconds before the story drops. You know they won't comment and it'd be better for everyone if they had zero time to formulate a response. Or maybe that already happened with Spicer hiding behind the plant in the dark. How sad is it that I can't even remember which story caused that?

Most of his base now get their news from Fox (and the more modern ones from Reddit, Breitbart, and Wikileaks). The problem is they're going to spin anything they can and not report on certain things.

Oh what a shock Gorsuch has an actual case now that shows he'll rule towards anti-LGBT sides :c

Guess while the ruling is still pro-LGBT, it sends a mixed message and feels like it's gonna get worse. Also THIS is why people are scared when rumors of a SCOTUS retirement swirl around.

Barzul

Wonder if Roberts will go centrist if Kennedy retires next year. He's the only one I could maybe see doing it. If the court becomes strictly conservative, we're fucked for a generation.

Some key SCOTUS decisions coming out today. They ruled with the Missouri church for example over the playground funding dispute, that one might have reverberations we won't feel till later.

Oh what a shock Gorsuch has an actual case now that shows he'll rule towards anti-LGBT sides :c

Guess while the ruling is still pro-LGBT, it sends a mixed message and feels like it's gonna get worse. Also THIS is why people are scared when rumors of a SCOTUS retirement swirl around.

Yep that's one question definitively answered.

This is the one that really baffles me. Republicans won two close elections where narrow losses would have cost them the election and moderate leads in the senate but they were the permanent majority? At least in 2009 the Republicans really were battered everywhere.

I argued against the idea at the time with both conservatives and liberals. To me it seemed clear that Bush being narrowly re-elected with modest coattails did not suggest an unwinnable environment for Democrats, especially as Bush's post-9/11 popularity boost continued to fade.

Arguments I got in response tended towards Karl Rove being a once-in-a-lifetime political genius with a plan for an enduring Republican majority, or how Fox News had completely changed the game.

The media seemed all too eager to fall in line behind the narrative. The debate in those circles seemed to be whether the Democrats would be out of power for a generation or cease to exist as a party altogether. There was a suggestion that liberals needed to pin their hopes on moderate Republicans and get behind John McCain.

SCOTUSblog‏Verified account @SCOTUSblog 4m4 minutes ago
SCOTUS will review the travel ban

SCOTUSblog‏Verified account @SCOTUSblog 3m3 minutes ago

SCOTUS lifts injunction against travel ban, except with respect to individuals with bona dude relationship to the US

SCOTUSblog‏Verified account @SCOTUSblog 5m5 minutes ago

Travel ban will be argued in October

Oh boy

Zolo

You only had to see his hearing to see what a douche the guy is.

Barzul

This will truly be a test of our constitution. Are the branches truly co-equal? Ever since Chevron, courts have ceded way too much power to the Executive. If they rule in favor of this, what happens when some president 50 years from now decides to ban an entire continent or something?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP

BREAKING: Supreme Court will review Trump travel ban, allows it to take effect in most instances.

Looks like it is back in effect.

So the travel ban is back now until they rule on it next year?

Injunction lifted except for those with connections to the US. So, those with papers will be safe. But visitors will be banned from the countries it effects.

Ruling likely this fall.

Today was a bad day on the court all around, except for the AR birth certificate ruling.

Zolo

What's the point. I believe it had a 6 month expiry date right? Where is the extreme vetting? What have they been working on all this time? Sigh.

I think certain countries were banned without exception while others would have undergone a 90 day review.

PBY

Banned
It's going to get worse if/when they pass their healthcare bill. And it won't end there, either. If they get away with this draconian healthcare bill, they're coming for the rest of the safety net too.

There's nothing the Dems could have done. But they're going to have to be better and do more.

Abed A. Ayoub‏Verified account @aayoub 2m2 minutes ago
More
The #MuslimBan does not apply to individuals who have a relative in the US (spouse, fiancé), nor does it apply to students in the US.

These are some fairly broad exceptions.

Barzul

Supreme Court effectively reinstates Trump's travel ban unless you have a relative inside the U.S. or other special circumstances, that second part needs to be clarified though it's sorta broad.

Also

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/879348983969320964

jfc

These are some fairly broad exceptions.

Expected. DHS and USCIS are slammed right now. There is no additional funding for them either. I really feel for some of the regular employees. The extreme vetting Trump wanted will be hampered because these guys are overworked.

So basically exactly what the NYT said could happen at the beginning of June.

What is the Supreme Court likely to do?

The court will probably agree to hear the appeal. When a major presidential initiative is ruled unconstitutional by a federal appeals court, a review by the Supreme Court almost always follows.

The stay applications present harder questions, and how the court answers them will have important practical consequences.

The court typically moves quickly on requests for stays, often acting in about a week. Under its usual practices, it would not hear arguments on the applications and would issue brief orders announcing the outcome with little or no legal reasoning.

If the court grants the requests, the travel ban will go back into effect and probably expire before the court hears arguments on the merits of the appeal. That could make the case moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom