• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
DH65XoxVoAAhJMb.jpg

State Dept. Science Envoy resigns—the first letter of each paragraph of his resignation letter spells the word 'Impeach.'

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/900379225756229633

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Reminder that "pre-katrina Bush" was actually near the start of his 2nd term and he had at that point weathered:

-- 9/11
-- Enron/Worldcom
-- an economic collapse
-- an anthrax scare
-- the DC Sniper
-- the start of the war in Afghanistan and against Al Qaeda
-- the Columbia disaster
-- the Iraq invasion
-- the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner
-- [lots of bullshit about the iraq war, mostly saddam's death and ensuing chaos]
-- and getting reelected.

It's fine to say that Trump is something of a beleaguered lame-duck president where only one more last big disaster would ruin his presidency, but keep in mind JUST HOW MANY DISASTERS Bush both endured and inflicted on the world before the biblical disaster that was Katrina.

Donald ain't faced ANYTHING. He is not ready and we are not ready for the coming chaos.

There's a lot of good reasons to cast a wide net this cycle. A general reason is simply that you hit the point of diminishing returns from spending in a single district relatively quickly. You're generally better off targeting 75 districts and hoping to win 25 than going all out on 30 districts. There's also some evidence from polling that Trump is struggling with both groups of voters (Romney/Clinton and Obama/Trump).

There's a lot of good reasons to cast a wide net this cycle. A general reason is simply that you hit the point of diminishing returns from spending in a single district relatively quickly. You're generally better off targeting 75 districts and hoping to win 25 than going all out on 30 districts. There's also some evidence from polling that Trump is struggling with both groups of voters.
Bingo. I seem to recall the DCCC is targeting about 100 GOP-held districts.

Dyle

I'm told the White House has prepared the paperwork for Trump to pardon former sheriff Joe Arpaio when he makes the final decision.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/900372694843117569

Are the replies correct in saying that by pardoning him, it would constitute an admission of guilt, thus opening him up to civil lawsuits? If so, you have to wonder if Arpaio wants the federal pardon at all, or at least right now, since he still hasn't been sentenced yet

greatgeek

Banned
Are the replies correct in saying that by pardoning him, it would constitute an admission of guilt, thus opening him up to civil lawsuits? If so, you have to wonder if Arpaio wants the federal pardon at all, or at least right now, since he still hasn't been sentenced yet
Wouldn't he only be admitting to his noncompliance with the court's order (the basis of his contempt conviction), though, and not the underlying discrimination allegations?

Mike M

Nick N
I think he we be open to civil suits regardless? Admission of guilt would make it easier to win, I guess.

Reminder that "pre-katrina Bush" was actually near the start of his 2nd term and he had at that point weathered:

-- 9/11
-- Enron/Worldcom
-- an economic collapse
-- an anthrax scare
-- the DC Sniper
-- the Columbia disaster
-- the Iraq invasion
-- [lots of bullshit about the iraq war, mostly saddam's death and ensuing chaos]

It's fine to say that Trump is something of a beleaguered lame-duck president where only one more last big disaster would ruin his presidency, but keep in mind JUST HOW MANY DISASTERS Bush both endured and inflicted on the world before the biblical disaster that was Katrina.

Donald ain't faced ANYTHING. He is not ready and we are not ready for the coming chaos.

But but but he inherited a DISASTER.

Blader

-- 9/11
-- Enron/Worldcom
-- an economic collapse
-- an anthrax scare
-- the DC Sniper
-- the Columbia disaster
-- the Iraq invasion

A lot of these weren't presidency-ending disasters, though, at least not until his second term. The public supported Afghanistan and initially Iraq; people believed Mission Accomplished until things went to shit later; Saddam's capture/death was a point in Bush's favor; 9/11, while an actual disaster, only bolstered support for Bush, it was never framed by the public as a failure on his part. And look, I was upset about the Challenger too, but come on.

Did Phillip Rucker take an appropriate thrashing for saying Trump acted Presidential during his Pakistan address? It was literally less than 24 hours before the insanity that was last night.

Bladelaw

A lot of these weren't presidency-ending disasters, though, at least not until his second term. The public supported Afghanistan and initially Iraq; people believed Mission Accomplished until things went to shit later; Saddam's capture/death was a point in Bush's favor; 9/11, while an actual disaster, only bolstered support for Bush, it was never framed by the public as a failure on his part. And look, I was upset about the Challenger too, but come on.

I think the point here is that Bush handled all of these crises like a sane human (Mission Accomplished notwithstanding). Can you imagine Trump saying close to the "right thing" in any of those cases?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^yes

not presidency-ending disaster, but clearly all moments where A Uniter President / A Great Communicator / A Little Town Called Hope / HOPE himself are required. Yes, your point is taken that these aren't presidency ending when a capable person is running the show.

But imagine Trump handling any of these. It took years of these to take down Bush.

Dyle

Wouldn't he only be admitting to his noncompliance with the court's order (the basis of his contempt conviction), though, and not the underlying discrimination allegations?

Oh yeah, that's probably correct. I forgot that he was only charged for contempt and not any of the actual racial profiling he was in court for.

Blader

not presidency-ending disaster, but clearly all moments where A Uniter President / A Great Communicator / A Little Town Called Hope / HOPE himself are required. Yes, your point is taken that these aren't presidency ending when a capable person is running the show.

But imagine Trump handling any of these. It took years of these to take down Bush.

Oh sorry, I think I misread your post, I thought you were saying "here's all the shit that had happened to Bush before one disaster finally started sinking him," not "here's all the shit he was actually able competently manage to some extent."

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oh sorry, I think I misread your post, I thought you were saying "here's all the shit that had happened to Bush before one disaster finally started sinking him," not "here's all the shit he was actually able competently manage to some extent."

i'm retroactively changing the meaning of my post so i can remain correct

you can call it alternate posting

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-wanted-mcconnell-protect-him-russia-scandal-probe

In a series of tweets this month, Mr. Trump criticized Mr. McConnell publicly, and berated him in a phone call that quickly devolved into a profane shouting match.

During the call, which Mr. Trump initiated on Aug. 9 from his New Jersey golf club, the president accused Mr. McConnell of bungling the health care issue. He was even more animated about what he intimated was the Senate leader’s refusal to protect him from investigations of Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to Republicans briefed on the conversation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if the New York Times’ reporting is accurate, and the president pressured McConnell to “protect him” from Senate probes into the Trump-Russia scandal, that is very much the sort of thing that might be of interest to Special Counsel Robert Mueller and his team. In fact, it’s hardly outlandish to believe the Senate majority leader could be seen as a witness.

Perhaps Trump should’ve been nicer to McConnell.

this also explains the attacks towards mcconnel, with Mcconnel refusing to interfere with the russia probe.

So Mcconnel did what Comey did, Wrote a memo and sent it to his fellow senators and others so he could have back up and make them aware of what the president was attempting

Surfinn

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-wanted-mcconnell-protect-him-russia-scandal-probe

this also explains the attacks towards mcconnel, with Mcconnel refusing to interfere with the russia probe.

So Mcconnel did what Comey did, Wrote a memo and sent it to his fellow senators and others so he could have back up and make them aware of what the president was attempting

Wow. I didn't know the call was also about the Russia investigation. That seems big to me

After everything McConnell and Trump put Obama through. This is just karma for the both of them and they deserve each other. With that said Trump is doing an impressive job at angering everyone that can initiate his impeachment

Holy shit, when did Kushner sell his stake in the Observer?

At Trump's Phoenix Rally, Cranky Old Man Throws a Temper Tantrum

After speaking for more than an hour Tuesday night, amateur President Donald Trump still wasn't done bloviating about the news media and the Washington swamp where he is King Crocodile.

”Most people think I'm crazy to have done this," said the 71-year-old, orange-faced, yellow-haired chief executive. ”And I think they're right!"

His supporters cheered. How kind he is to them to ”Drain that swamp!" as they demanded Tuesday. And, at last, we now have a word that can be used by all sides—and there are many, many sides.
That word is ”crazy."

Trump used it himself Tuesday. And Rick Wilson, a Republican strategist who appeared on CNN after the controversial rally in downtown Phoenix, agreed.

”This was a Castro-esque speech," Wilson said. ”It was an astounding chain of lies tied together by lunatic asides by a man who obviously is mentally unstable."

Wilson added that Trump acted like both a ”whiny six-year-old" and a ”cranky old man" and that he is ”bat-crap crazy" for putting on ”an astounding moment in our history."

Trump showed up over the objection of the Democratic mayor and despite a boycott by Arizona's Republican governor and two Republican U.S. Senators.

CNN carried the speech live, as did Fox News Channel. MSNBC showed images of it on screen but carried the regular programming of The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell. Much of Trump's long harangue disparaged CNN and ”fake news" and the ”crooked media," but there was more to his media critique.

”I must tell you," Trump told his happy mob, ”Fox has treated me fairly. And Hannity. How good is Hannity? How good is Hannity? And he's a great guy, and he's an honest guy."

Honest Don lied about so many things, and not just the honesty of Sean Hannity, whose hour Trump stole Tuesday, the second consecutive night in which he has barged into prime time. Trump also remembered to plug his friendly friends at Fox & Friends. He watches all the time, he said.

Trump tried to change the national discussion from his troubling support for the racists and white supremacists who demonstrated almost two weeks ago in Charlottesville, Va. Trump said a week ago in his Manhattan castle that ”many fine people" were among the Nazis and Ku Klux Klan members, but he forgot about all that Tuesday because that was just Fake News no matter what he said.

Trump, in his Hannity tone of voice—(Did you know they talk often?)—made a lengthy digression, a stream-of-consciousness, ”we're-the-real-victims-here" riff that seemed rambling by even Trump's own diminished standards.

”They are trying to take away our history and our heritage," Trump said.

(A digression here. ”Heritage" is the dog-whistle buzz word of the moment. ”Heritage" refers to our ”Dixo-American cultural heritage," which really means ”Confederate," which means ”slavery," which means ”I'm a 2017 racist, wink-wink, nudge-nudge, thanks for your votes.")

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So, I got invited to the Paul Ryan thing tomorrow. I really wish I had a Repeal and Go Fuck Yourself shirt right now. Any ideas on how to troll w/o getting fired?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So, I got invited to the Paul Ryan thing tomorrow. I really wish I had a Repeal and Go Fuck Yourself shirt right now. Any ideas on how to troll w/o getting fired?

Message the guys from Pod Save America ask them to overnight a shirt. They might since it is Paul Ryan afterall.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Gee this sounds familiar. (Minus the importation and deliberate screwover)

...did you just knowingly compare yourself to Reza Pahlavi's lapdogs? That's even harsher than I was going to be!

kirblar

...did you just knowingly compare yourself to Reza Pahlavi's lapdogs? That's even harsher than I was going to be!
I was referring to the part of the religious rural folk getting really mad and wrecking things for everyone else? Acting on a rationale of "decaying civilization" (there: invasion of white people and culture, here: invasion of nonwhite people and culture)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom