• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

Embarassing to see how terribly Trump has done with a completely smooth situation to deal with thus far. He inherited a strong economy from Obama, and there's been no major disasters, attacks, etc before now, yet he's still managed to nonstop fuck up and wreck as much as he could while being as scandal ridden as any president has been. He's actually had an easy time of it as president, all the problems he's had were all of his own making, yet he still whined and bitched about how everyone is mean to him.

Now there's an actual natural disaster happening. He's going to fuck this one up hard.

So the freedom caucus will vote for the wall, but the less crazy republicans wont?

Much like the ACA repeal, actual, practical matters will get in the way. There's much more to the wall then "LET'S DO IT!!!!"

"Where do we get the land from?"
"What do we do with the no man's land behind the wall that is technically in the US?"
"What happens when we hit a river?"
"What about the Native Americans?"
"What happens when Jerry Brown laughs in our face at building a wall in California?"
"What do we do about the endangered species protected by law?"
"Where does the funding for the (obscenely expensive) maintenance come from?"

The sad part is this is lose/lose for us. Either he botches this and thousands have their lives ruined, or he does an okay job and handles it and he "becomes president on this day" or whatever and suddenly the last 8 months don't matter.

I hope everyone is alright... must be doubly scary to have to deal with this while worrying the president won't have your back or will make your problems worse

Now at four days with 60 disapprove or above in August compared to one before August.
Just goes to show that the hand-wringing over his small rally effect post-Charlottesville was kind of dumb.

Is it sad? Of course, but like with everything Trump's done in office it followed a very clear pattern. Trump's floor, average and ceiling have all dropped several points because of it. This time next month people will be freaking out when the government shuts down and his approval ratings rebound for like, a day from sub-30s to an outstanding 34%.

It's very hard to get below 30, especially with current levels of polarization. It took most of Dubya's presidency to do it, and I believe the last to get there before was Nixon.

Steady decline is pretty steady so far though.

dg8AAe5.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/7-rules-for-reading-trumps-approval-rating/

Although predictions of a floor for Trump's approval ratings haven't matched the evidence all that well so far, there are sound theoretical reasons to think that his numbers will be increasingly resistant to downward movement. I've already mentioned the most important of these: Partisanship is a strong force in American politics and will protect Trump to some extent. And Trump's ratings are already fairly low to begin with, with roughly three Americans disapproving of Trump's performance for every two who approve of him — so he doesn't have all that many more voters to turn off.

Still, if you're looking to estimate when Trump really might hit a floor, somewhere in the low-to-mid-20s is a pretty good guess. There's quite a bit of evidence that points in this direction:

- The lowest approval ratings achieved by past presidents are in the low-to-mid-20s. Richard Nixon was at 25 percent at the time of his resignation, for instance, while George W. Bush and Harry Truman bottomed out at 24 percent and 22 percent, respectively, late in their second terms.

- Trump won 23 percent of everyone, regardless of party, who cast a vote in the Democratic or Republican primaries last year. Those are the people who were truly with him from the start.

- A recent Monmouth University poll found that 61 percent of Trump supporters said they'd never change their minds about him. That works out to about 23 percent of the country overall.4

- About 20 percent of voters say they strongly approve of Trump.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Got to ask my question to Ryan, he gave a very libertarian-y / vague answer about whether we will end up in a vicious cycle of removing deductions / lowering rates and then adding more deductions back in, etc etc.

Can't wait for Trump to call the hurricane a liberal conspiracy or something as Texans are watching their houses be destroyed
What happens in Texas will be the fault of many sides. Many sides. And then his dumbass followers will say that it's as much the Antifa and BLM's fault as it is the hurricane's.

Kusagari

He hasn't had an overall average of 40 since May and it's on a consistent downward trend.

The numbers are horrific considering nothing has really happened.

Got to ask my question to Ryan, he gave a very libertarian-y / vague answer about whether we will end up in a vicious cycle of removing deductions / lowering rates and then adding more deductions back in, etc etc.

Do you think his wife has to scream quotes from The Fountainhead in bed so he can finish

The sad part is this is lose/lose for us. Either he botches this and thousands have their lives ruined, or he does an okay job and handles it and he "becomes president on this day" or whatever and suddenly the last 8 months don't matter.

I hope everyone is alright... must be doubly scary to have to deal with this while worrying the president won't have your back or will make your problems worse
I think if he does okay and handles the hurricane, it'll be forgotten very quickly. The nature of his presidency is that there's always some new crazy bullshit.

Do you think his wife has to scream quotes from The Fountainhead in bed so he can finish

Foreplay is probably a game of sexual transactions.

"Talk dirty to me baby"

"That will be $5 for each time I call you sissy boy, $10 for saying anything about your cock and if you want me to look at you while doing it, plan on a $2.50 kicker per stare."

"Ohhh yeah I'm gettin' all hot now"

"As the monopoly holder of pussy in this household, I'm' going to charge you $1 per thrust until just before orgasm. At this point I'll give you the opportunity to pay me $100 to finish inside or $50 on the tits"

"I'm so so ready baby! OH Yeah here it comes!"

"Remember there's a $25 cleaning fee after"

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Probably.

I get why people like him, he does come across as earnest and nice. He's a politician, so it is his job, but I can definitely see why people like him. He even had me in his spell a little while answering the question. But I guess that's why they are where they are in terms of political power.

A man does not depend on others. He provides for himself with the sweat of his brow and the strength of his hands.

I just got a boner.

Why does anyone think Trump would shut down the government, he's a coward who never follows through on threats.

Why does anyone think Trump can shut down the government?

The Senate and House will pass a debt ceiling increase (clean or not), and then later an omnibus, and they will go to his desk veto-proof and he'll sign them like a good boy.

You'd think after the Russia sanctions and the blocking of recess appointments he'd understand that he doesn't a have legislative authority. But he's a dumbass, just like his followers.

Freudian slips are subconscious accidents. That was neither subconcious nor an accident. You can tell that's something he has said dozens of times.

Ohh that was definitely an accident and because he's said it a bajilloin times his subconscious didn't have to work to hard to bring it forward.

Yeah, he didn't veto the Russia sanctions bill. He'll sign what they send him.

The Russia sanctions bill wasn't party of his platform and his base don't give two shits about it. I'm not saying he's going to veto, but I wouldn't look at this other instance and infer he's not either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom