• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tamanon said:
Nah, life isn't like an action movie.

If I were his brother, I'd be slightly anxious now to be out in an African slum whilst having that sort of connection to the US president.

Tamanon said:
Obama doesn't give a fuck about his half-brother. Which is expected, they're only related by his father, may as well call him a stepbrother.

Regardless of whether he does or doesn't, it could create quite the issue for him if something like that were to happen, god forbid. Even if there was no emotional 'issue' for him, it could make for really bad publicity.

I dunno..I'd just be really surprised if they hadn't thought of this. I'd be interested to see if they'll do anything there, or just cross their fingers.

The brother could resent the imposition too, but it might be for his own good.

jmdajr

Souldriver said:
Yeah, it's a vile movement that has hijacked the republican party. I hope it dies too, although there's also a change that it can bite back fiercer than ever. It depends how the republican party tries to get itself back on the tracks. Traditional conservatism, or trying to appeal even more to the nutjobs in this nation with the argument that McCain was "too centrist".

I wonder if McCain is happy to be a moderate again.

captive said:
Im not defending the board, I think its disgusting.
Im questioning why people are so hell bent on forcing themselves to read it just so they can post the most ridiculous posts they find here.

The board is absurd.

Absurdity is funny.

Do you really think there's more to it than that? I spent a chunk of my life exposed to people like that, and it's a little sad, but also fucking hilarious to read those posts. And it's interesting to see fringe perspectives on the election.

Don't go and generalize GAF on this topic, either. Many of the people responding to those posts noted that they themselves are Christians. And while there has been some religion-baiting in this thread, it's been pretty universally countered by level-headed posters.

I don't know what you're so worked up about, man.

nightez

Banned
reilo said:
Obama owns three suits. THREE. He's had them for YEARS. His wife Michelle, is known to go on shows like The View and promote dresses she bought for around $100.

how can you be so sure he only owns three suits?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
This thread is humongous, so just ignore me if this was already discussed, but it was something that came up at our dinner table this evening..

AFAIK, Obama has a half brother basically living in poverty in Africa. I presume Obama has already offered him assistance and what-not, but IIRC, the guy seemed happy enough as he was, and I suppose there's an element of pride there as well.

Anyway, my question is, now that Obama is going to be President of the US, is some level of protection/assistance going to be imposed on this half brother - or indeed, other relatives he may have in Africa?

I ask because, it seems to me this half brother could be quite vulnerable now to attempts by others to blackmail or influence Obama.. if you get my drift. More literally..consider what might happen if this brother were kidnapped by terrorists. That could be quite the pickle. I'm thinking the half brother could be quite vulnerable to that sort of situation living as he is right now?
Most world leaders have extended family, gofreak...I don't think governments are particularly invested in protecting all these people because of the "liability" they represent...

Speevy

Banned
:lol FoxNews

110508_nuobama.jpg

jmdajr said:
I wonder if McCain is happy to be a moderate again.
If he had just run his whole campaign like his concession speech, he probably would've won. But he chose the dirty, radical way: Palin, vile attacks on his opponent, stirring up racism, intolerance, bigotry, ... in the country, using the "us vs them" tactic to bind the people to him,...

Awful Awful campaign, at NOT AT ALL like the McCain we've come to know before this presidential race.

Xisiqomelir

MY BROTHERS

micsounders13boomrobojj3.jpg

and Ela, Dragona, Luna, Red and MY SISTERS

We have fucking done it.

Let me tell you, I was amazed when our boy won Ohio. Indiana still is not real to me.

I'm sad about our good candidates who lost (Darcy :( ) and the Team Evil candidates who are incomprehensibly still there (BACHMANN WTF), and I'm not happy that I completely fucked up my predictions and may end up bottom of the regs for state scores.

But when I sat there last night watching Brit Hume about to cry as the clock counted down for the Pacific coast, and when I saw Fox forced to call Cali with 0% in, I knew that I have never been prouder of this country. We have defeated the forces of evil, ignorance, stupidity and hate, not for all time, but at least for now.

We did it guys. I love you all.

p.s.

Intradepayoff.png

Intradebalance.png

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Souldriver said:
I just hope the real conservative republicans make a comeback, and that nutjobs like Palin lose any influence they've had the past 30 years.

This.

TheExodu5

Banned
Souldriver said:
Pick you battles, and stop defending that board where people are insinuating the assassination of Obama will come and be a great thing.

S T F U

When did he defend the board?

He and I agree. They are radicals. They DO NOT represent what Christianity stands for.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
StoOgE said:
Oh good, Rush Limbaugh is saying Sarah Palin saved the campaign, McCain cost her the VP :lol :lol :lol

Classic, especially when there's no evidence anywhere showing she actually brought in independent/undecided voters.

Souldriver said:
If he had just run his whole campaign like his concession speech, he probably would've won. But he chose the dirty, radical way: Palin, vile attacks on his opponent, stirring up racism, intolerance, bigotry, ... in the country, using the "us vs them" tactic to bind the people to him,...

Awful Awful campaign, at NOT AT ALL like the McCain we've come to know before this presidential race.

This has been said throughout the campaign, but nobody here really believes McCain is a bad guy (unlike the other side which believes Obama is the devil). Just some of the choices he made, made it clear that he was not the right choice for President. I commend John for all his public service, and for his gracious speech last night which proves without a shadow of a doubt how much love he has for this country.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
lawblob said:
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(Today, 12:45 PM)
:lol
You dont even know how or why i got the tag, but go ahead and quote it.

Cyan said:
I agree with captive. Can we drop the rapture-ready stuff?

Those people aren't regular Republicans or even regular Christians--they're goddamn fringe wingnut psychopaths. It's unhealthy for the soul to read that drivel.

Gaze too long into the abyss...
You're now a hardcore bitter christian right wing for suggesting this! :lol

Integra

Neo Member
this is truly a wonder to behold with his election. for some reason I wasn't all that surprised, but yet...at the same time, I am. a definite history turner with all of this. one way or another we would have seen a dramatic change with history. lets just hope that it truly does get better and that we don't end up worse than already before.

Haunted

Xisiqomelir said:
We have defeated the forces of evil, ignorance, stupidity and hate, not for all time, but at least for now.

We did it guys. I love you all.

p.s.

Intradepayoff.png

Intradebalance.png
:lol damn!

worlds-safest-3000$-bet.jpg

edit: Stooooooge! :D

World Leaders:

Malaysian FM

What seemed audacious and improbable before is now a reality. In Obama's victory are sown the seeds of great expectations that a truly new chapter will be written in the history of the world.

Muslim nations will have cause to celebrate this triumph; it offers prospects for genuine dialogue and engagement and should witness the politics of diplomacy supplant the politics of war and the theology of terror. Other nations traditionally at loggerheads with America may find reason to reciprocate to a more balanced approach.

Czech Republic Former President

With all respect to Senator McCain, whom I know and whom I find very sympathetic, I am more glad that Barack Obama won the election. I have an intense impression that a fresh wind will drift into the Washington air upon his arrival, that he will be a President of a new generation — a new type, with a great understanding of the multicultural nature of the contemporary world.

France Famed Writer and Theologan

The skeptics can go on repeating ad nauseam that an Obama presidency will change nothing about American hyperpower and the reprobation it elicits. Anti-Americanism will not disappear as though by magic, but its life will get harder. It will have to revise its arguments. Planetary shock wave? Another, geopolitical New Deal? One thing is sure — which places a heavy, metahistorical responsibility on the new President's shoulders: never will an American election have excited in the rest of the world a hope at once so crazy and so reasoned.

South Africa Desmond Tutu

A new era has dawned for Africa and for the entire world. It is almost like what happened in South Africa after Nelson Mandela became the first democratically elected President of that land. Then, as now, people of color everywhere — in Africa, in the U.S., everywhere in the world — had a new spring in their walk. They held their heads high, and their shoulders were straighter.

Obama's election has given hope to people everywhere that change is possible, that this debilitating status quo of a polarized world of "them" and "us" can change. People the world over want the U.S. to take its rightful place as leader in the commonwealth of nations. They want to see a U.S. without the arrogant unilateralism that led to the disastrous Iraq invasion, to the rejection of the Kyoto Protocol and the refusal to sign the Rome Statute establishing the International Criminal Court. All this left the world resenting a bullyboy U.S.

The world now expects the new President to close down that abomination, Guantánamo Bay; to bring viable initiatives for peace in the Middle East; to bolster a good Bush project, the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR); to take real notice of Africa and other developing parts of our global village.

Today, those who want to end the scourges of poverty, disease and ignorance, those who want to promote justice, peace and greater tolerance among different faiths are celebrating because Barack Obama is the new President of the United States.

Spain Prime Minister

Any decision made by Americans, who hold the political power in one of history's most outstanding democracies, would have been respected by Spain and its government. Yet the election of Senator Obama as President of the United States of America, apart from deserving my respect, makes me feel deeply satisfied. Because we share the same vision about the need to face the current challenges: to reform the financial system after the first global crisis of the globalized economy; to fight against inequality and in favor of inclusive, united societies; to defend sustainable development and face up to the consequences of climatic change. We also share a zeal to effectively prevent terrorism and other threats that haunt our security. We both see dialogue as a useful instrument to reduce and avoid conflicts, and recognize the legitimacy of international rule of law and we respect human rights. Cooperation with the government of Spain, whose democracy has always been a friend and a faithful partner of the American democracy, can be particularly useful in reaching these objectives. In this complex period our world is facing, Barack Obama's election has kindled a feeling of hope, one that most Spanish citizens and Europeans share, and one that reflects a shared confidence in the real capacity to build a better world.

India - India's only Nobel Prize winner for Economics

The most important thing that Barack Obama brings to the presidency is his willingness to reason. He won his presidency not as a black American but as a reasoning American who happens to be black. America needs a change from the reign of "obtruding false rules pranked in reason's garb" — to use John Milton's words. Attacking Iraq for an imagined link with 9/11 was daft. Having unaffordable health care is not a reasonable way to run a rich society. Destroying the environment is not smart. Spreading the wealth a bit in a deeply unequal society is not as offensive to reason as it appeared to Joe the noncertified Plumber.

The economic crisis has been caused by doctrinaire economic policies, and the solution calls for remedial actions that are reasoned — and seen to be reasoned, to generate confidence. In politics, the alienation of the world is not only because the U.S. has been so unilateral but also because the unilateral choices often have been so dumb.

Reasoning also demands re-examination. Obama has to reassess whether he has got the right balance in policies on trade. On Afghanistan, he must examine how to balance his military toughness with the building of social infrastructure there and finding ways and means of getting Pakistan's energetic — and largely secular — civil society on his side, not against him. Obama may have to reassess some of his campaign rhetoric while firmly retaining his largehearted reasonableness.

Britian Foriegn Secretary

When he spoke in Berlin on July 24, Senator Obama pledged to work with Europe in a spirit of "constant cooperation, strong institutions and shared sacrifice." That is precisely what we want to do. Our highest priority must be to meet the current challenges in the global economy, building a stable and effective international financial system and addressing the threat of climate change. Second, we must commit to tackle at root violent extremism, in particular in Afghanistan and Pakistan. And third, we must make the search for a comprehensive settlement in the Middle East a top priority.

Kenya Leading Conservationist

The election of Barack Obama has many far-reaching and historic implications that go far beyond the borders of the United States. I am personally delighted not simply because Mr. Obama has one Kenyan parent and is a real African American but more so because of his many personal talents and breadth of knowledge as an exceptional human being. I believe Mr. Obama exhibits many of the best characteristics of our species in terms of intelligence, sensitivity, resolve and a willingness to reason.

While I am well aware of the many domestic issues that face the U.S., the future of the planet and its inhabitants is a greater concern for me. We all need an American leader who is not inward-looking and leading a self-interested superpower. The challenges we now face are less military and are far more daunting. Climate change and its global effects have to be as important for the U.S. and the world as anything else I can think of. The impact of the growing human population, in terms of resources and equity, on global underdevelopment, diseases and the shortages of water (and energy) are frankly terrifying. Solutions will require inspired leadership. We all require a President who will remain calm, focused and hopeful.

Well done, America, your democracy has delivered.

Germany Top Journalist and Political Scientist

Up to 8 out of 10 West Europeans would have voted for Obama, which points to a religious rather than political phenomenon. The way they see it, George W. Bush is a one-man axis of evil, and Obama the redeemer: "Deliver us, for thine is the kingdom . . ." Europeans want to love America again, and they imagine that a simple act of exorcism (called "elections") will rid them of the curse. But politics is not about redemption. Obama is not what West Europeans dream he is: polite, social-democratic and pacific. In other words, more European than American. Will the Euroswooners still love Obama when he presses them for more troops in Afghanistan and real sanctions on Iran?

Egypt Mohammad AlBaradie, Cheif IAEA

The President-elect is an African-American Christian with a Muslim father who lived across many continents and came from humble beginnings. This sends a powerful message to the rest of the world about the need for diversity and building bridges, values that are at the core of any efforts to create a world at peace with itself. I am encouraged by President-elect Obama's statements about establishing a world free from nuclear weapons and about the importance of dialogue. I trust that the fog will be lifted on efforts for meaningful nuclear-arms-control measures. I also hope that conditions will be created soon for direct U.S.-Iran negotiations, which are key for durable peace and security in the Middle East.

Singapore, Singapore National University Professor

Obama's election will significantly reduce anti-Americanism: once again the majority of the world's population will whisper, "Only in America" could this happen. It will make a huge dent in the strong silent prejudice against blacks in many societies, from America to Europe, from Latin America to Asia. And if we can reduce this deep ethnic prejudice, we may have hope for other ethnic divides, like those between Israelis and Palestinians, or Tamils and Sinhalese. If we can finally focus on our common humanity, we have a real opportunity to create a better world.

Sy Hersh:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/19/seymour-hersh-new-yorker-reporter said:
Like everyone in America just now, he is on tenterhooks. A Democrat who truly despises the Bush regime, he is reluctant to make predictions about exactly what is going to happen in the forthcoming election on the grounds that he might 'jinx it'. The unknown quantity of voter racism apart, however, he is hopeful that Obama will pull it off, and if he does, for Hersh this will be a starting gun. 'You cannot believe how many people have told me to call them on 20 January [the date of the next president's inauguration],' he says, with relish. '[They say:] "You wanna know about abuses and violations? Call me then." So that is what I'll do, so long as nothing awful happens before the inauguration.'
*puts on lobster bib*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
lawblob said:
One of Barack & Michelle's Harvard Law Professors on MSNBC right now.

Are you taking Bell? I took Con Law from him and he was actually one of my recommenders (not sure if that's who's on MSNBC right, but he did teach Barack at Harvard). Wonderful professor.

ColdDeckEd said:
This has been said throughout the campaign, but nobody here really believes McCain is a bad guy (unlike the other side which believes Obama is the devil). Just some of the choices he made, made it clear that he was not the right choice for President. I commend John for all his public service, and for his gracious speech last night which proves without a shadow of a doubt how much love he has for this country.
Indeed. At one point his campaign became so radical, he lost all control over it. The man must've felt very powerless the last 3 weeks of the race.

ToxicAdam

ColdDeckEd said:
We still have Hannity's epic meltdown to look forward too.

Of all the conservative talk shows, his is the most unlistenable.

Caller: "You're a great American, Sean"
SH: "You're a great American, caller"
Caller: "No, you're a great American, Sean."
SH: "Thank you, you're a great American too."

etc etc

I literally last about 90 seconds. I can't believe Mitch Albom's show got bumped for that clown.

Haunted

artredis1980 said:
May I ask who, exactly?

Also, if any of you can read German, I urge you to check out die Zeit online - online presence of the best newspaper we have to offer. Fantastic articles, the lot of them.

Barrett2

ToxicAdam said:

etc etc

You're 100% right. :lol

Hannity is without a doubt the most vain, self-absorbed blowhard out there.

harSon

Banned
artredis1980 said:
World Leaders:

World Leaders:

Malaysian FM

Quote:
What seemed audacious and improbable before is now a reality. In Obama's victory are sown the seeds of great expectations that a truly new chapter will be written in the history of the world.

Muslim nations will have cause to celebrate this triumph; it offers prospects for genuine dialogue and engagement and should witness the politics of diplomacy supplant the politics of war and the theology of terror. Other nations traditionally at loggerheads with America may find reason to reciprocate to a more balanced approach.

SHIT! Republicans were right!

ToxicAdam said:

etc etc

I literally last about 90 seconds. I can't believe Mitch Albom's show got bumped for that clown.

Mitch Albom had a show? And it was cancelled because of Hannity? Damn, you just threw another log on my fire of hate towards Hannity.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
My ex girlfriends facebook status: "the entire market is down.... so pissed. Our economy is fucked now, awesome change guys."

I just posted a really fucking long post on her page, I'm sure she'll delete it.

She doesn't know anything about the market at all (she is a marketing major).. I'm a CFA/securities principle. She likes to talk out of her ass.

devilhawk

artredis1980 said:
World Leaders:

Malaysian FM
Czech Republic Former President
France Famed Writer and Theologan
South Africa Desmond Tutu
Spain Prime Minister
India - India's only Nobel Prize winner for Economics
Britian Foriegn Secretary
Kenya Leading Conservationist
Egypt Mohammad AlBaradie, Cheif IAEA
Singapore, Singapore National University Professor
A year from now they will hate us again. Just watch.

ghibli99

AIRic said:
Same for me, but at the same time : "Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." from the same discussion in that movie. Peoples with high hopes has greater expectations and are more likely to be disappointed. But in the case of Obama, I'm pretty sure, he won't disappoint. It seriously can't be worse than Bush years. You have a better future ahead of you America.
Nope, separate discussion in the movie, but I know what you're saying. ;)

Plinko

ToxicAdam said:

etc etc

It's awful. I actually enjoy listening to Limbaugh because I "get" him. He's an entertainer. He knows his audience and gives them exactly what he wants.

Hannity, on the other hand, is a nutcase. I loved how he calls himself a conservative and was repeatedly touting Rudy Giuliani (multiple affairs, late-term abortion supporter, etc) as the choice for president in 2008.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
captive said:
You dont even know how or why i got the tag, but go ahead and quote it.

You're now a hardcore bitter christian right wing for suggesting this! :lol
GAF likes laughing at meltdowns in general(as seen on the gaming side).

Fox News, Hillayis44, freerepublic, and rr-bb are the top fours things we were anticipating meltdowns from.

GAF will continue to laugh at their meltdowns.

GAF is laughing at you truthfully waiting for you to say something stupid enough to get banned. There has already been two so far saying "ni****s"

FIREBABY

When will President Obama announce to the world aliens exist? Sorry, watching Dave Chapelle take on Deep Impact Morgan Freemans' President.

Plinko

mamacint said:
Sy Hersh:

"You wanna know about abuses and violations? Call me then." So that is what I'll do, so long as nothing awful happens before the inauguration.'

*puts on lobster bib*

Wait, what? Really?

This could get VERY interesting.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
StoOgE said:
My ex girlfriends facebook status: "the entire market is down.... so pissed. Our economy is fucked now, awesome change guys."

I just posted a really fucking long post on her page, I'm sure she'll delete it.

She doesn't know anything about the market at all (she is a marketing major).. I'm a CFA/securities principle. She likes to talk out of her ass.

and her old room mate that works for Goldman Sachs just weighed in on my side as well. :lol Epic Facebook beatdown commencing.

It's going to be weird, the ex is coming to stay with me tomorow for the weekend, this isnt going to go well. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom