• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maximum, I certainly hope you're not talking about Kirsten Powers. Anytime I've seen her sub for Colmes she gets trashed, that woman is an empty-headed suckup.

theBishop

Banned
Cheebs said:
Jimmy Carter doesn't feel it would be right for a President to endorse until after its official who the nominee is. Like how Bush Sr. did it.

That's a good policy in my opinion. Bill Clinton should take notes :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
scorcho said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/10/u...26435-mYSs0UexASCYhgpi6suzSA&pagewanted=print

okay, so John McCain forms a team of foreign policy advisers, and i guess it's good to solicit competing views and not err into tunnel vision, but wtf - Robert Kagan? Max Fucking Boot? how is this breaking away from the Bush Administration, unless McCain thinks that Rice's push for increased FP realism the last few years was the real stupidity of the Administration.

How are people so completely wrong about almost everything still even employed much less sought after for advice?

Why the fuck is it always the same goddamn people over and over and over telling us what we should be doing in the Middle East?

maximum360 said:
I just watched a snippet of the Hannity show. They've gone from indirectly attacking Barack's patriotism to calling him the Manchurian candidate.

Let me sum it up:Michelle Obama is secretly hiding her blatant hatred of the united states. Barack is a sleeper Kenyan agent with terrorist ties that has duped the american people with his slick campaign and advertising.

My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe this crap makes it on television. It makes Tucker, Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchanan look tame in comparison.
Got a link for that, maximum360? I'd like to see it.

I'm about as far left as possible, and I always had a huge amount of respect for Mr. Powell.

Out of everyone in that administration he was the only with anything remotely akin to a conscious.

Think about it from your end. You're told day in and day out that you're a valued member of an administration, and you are the only thing keeping America safe from a nuclear threat. You find something fishy, but you think "Why would they lie?".

You bring these findings no matter how suspect, and make a case for war, only to find out you've been had. By the same people telling you how much they respect you, and honor you.

I can see why he'd fall for it as long as he did, the administrations response afterwards (belittling him, questioning his patriotism) is reason enough for him to come out like he has.

Colin Powell was the only in that administration with a soul, and he got nothing but grief for it.

tanod

when is my burrito
bob_arctor said:
How are people so completely wrong about almost everything still even employed much less sought after for advice?

Why the fuck is it always the same goddamn people over and over and over telling us what we should be doing in the Middle East?

Because it takes an idiot to think that there is a U.S.-headed solution to achieving peace in the Middle East.

EDIT: @Thunder Monkey: I think the Bush Administration expected Colin Powell to be a scapegoat for the whole fiasco and Powell didn't want to play along.

theBishop said:
That's a good policy in my opinion. Bill Clinton should take notes :lol
It's really too bad that Hillary won't win the nomination, because Bill Clinton would have been awesome campaigning for Obama.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
bob_arctor said:

well good thing APF told me that such idealistic idiots and their recommendations aren't relevant or persuasive anymore, otherwise i'd be worried.

tanod said:
EDIT: @Thunder Monkey: I think the Bush Administration expected Colin Powell to be a scapegoat for the whole fiasco and Powell didn't want to play along.
That's exactly what they wanted.

"Put it all on the black guy."

Fucking treasonous swine!

scorcho

i don't know. i think y'all are setting yourselves up for a big letdown by giving too much weight to these PA polls showing Obama close to Clinton. see: Ohio, MA and NJ

Tamanon

Banned
scorcho said:
i don't know. i think y'all are setting yourselves up for a big letdown by giving too much weight to these PA polls showing Obama close to Clinton. see: Ohio, MA and NJ

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be within 10 points at least. A victory, if not a numerical one.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cjdunn said:
With the rate at which Obama is closing the gap, I think it will be <5% difference.

I don't. PA is a state where Clinton will actually have an organizational edge- as Todd says, add 4% points to any poll you see.

My personal wish/hope is that Obama keeps it around 10. That seems to be the media cut off point- if she can't do better than Ohio, the media seems ready to call it a loss for Clinton.

GhaleonEB

Three superdelegates in one day. It’s been months since that’s happened for Clinton. In addition to the pickup we mentioned earlier of former Pittsburgh Mayor Jackie Masloff, the New York senator’s campaign just announced it has also picked up the support of CA Rep. Jackie Speier, who recently won the special election for the late Tom Lantos's seat, and the president of the Ohio state AFL-CIO, Bill Burga, a DNC member.

Obama picked up one superdelegate earlier today.
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/

i had heard jackie speier, while supporting clinton, was with-holding who she voted for until after the primaries to see how things were shaking out? similar to the montana campbell episode (though she will be voting for obama, she just can't say she supports him), only reversed - saying she supports clinton but wont say who she'll vote for?

edit: inside bay area

Even more surprising, Speier said that despite her endorsement of Clinton, she would decide whom to vote for after the primary, leaving open the possibility that she'd go for Obama. She declined to say which candidate would get her vote, but her silence itself was revealing

(straight from demconwatch)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Even more surprising, Speier said that despite her endorsement of Clinton, she would decide whom to vote for after the primary, leaving open the possibility that she'd go for Obama. She declined to say which candidate would get her vote, but her silence itself was revealing
:lol

With superdelegates like these, who needs enemies?

Tamanon

Banned
I honestly think that's the hidden problem for Clinton. When the convention actually hits, can she really count on every single Superdelegate who has supported her or endorsed her to also take the next step and overrule the pledged delegates?

Did anyone else watch The View today? McCain was on; they were giving him so much shit I thought he was going to explode. And to make matters worse he kept trying to be funny by apologizing for being frigidity, then mimicking it by waving his hands around. I thought he was doing the yayo dance :lol

correction from the bay area article --

she said she'd announce who she supported and would vote for after the primary, which she then went on to win. first read says clinton's campaign announced her support and vote, so i'm assuming that my previous post is a non-issue - she's voting for clinton.

APF

scorcho said:
well good thing APF told me that such idealistic idiots and their recommendations aren't relevant or persuasive anymore, otherwise i'd be worried.
Fair enough, but if he knows what's good for him that's going to change quickly.

Tamanon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Did anyone else watch The View today? McCain was on; they were giving him so much shit I thought he was going to explode. And to make matters worse he kept trying to be funny by apologizing for being frigidity, then mimicking it by waving his hands around. I thought he was doing the yayo dance :lol

I heard he came close to exploding when Behar joked about him making a mistake by voting for the war.:lol

APF

bob_arctor said:
Awesome. The man running on Iraq will somehow know what's good for him. I like your optimism, APF.
Meh, we don't really know what he's going to run on, really. Running on Iraq as the major part of his platform would be a disaster however, given the fact that it's not the most important issue in voters' minds, and that if it were he'd be on the wrong side.

Tamanon said:
I heard he came close to exploding when Behar joked about him making a mistake by voting for the war.:lol

Yup; first he was asked about his vote against the MLK holiday, if it was a mistake, and why did he vote against it. He dodged the entire thing by saying he was in a Vietcong prison when he heard the news, and was saddened by it - but that doesn't answer the question of why he decided to vote against it. Then he started rambling about how he "kinda voted for Apartheid" but changed his mind after he saw it in action in South Africa. That's when Behar jumped in and asked if he also thought the Iraq vote was a mistake, at which point he got tense and started his basic points - the war was mismanaged for four years but now we're doing the right thing.

Tamanon

Banned
VanMardigan said:
So you guys aren't expecting Bill Clinton to campaign for Obama after he wins the nomination?

He didn't campaign for Gore, I don't think he will for Obama. Hillary might, but I don't think Bill will.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How do the candidates rank in terms of their knowledge of economic issues. I think that it'll be the biggest issue for the GE and personally, it's the most important issue to me. Which candidate is currently considered the most knowledgeable on the subject?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tamanon said:
He didn't campaign for Gore, I don't think he will for Obama. Hillary might, but I don't think Bill will.

If anything, Bill will spend his time trying to repair his African American relations

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I don't think Robert Kagan or Max Boot worked for the Bush Administration. With the way the Right has splintered over the war, McCain would have a very tough time getting a major figure from the 'realist' school to work for him at this point since he is still a hawk. I'm sure some Cold War guys will come out of mothballs for the general election, but most of the foreign policy intelligentsia in both parties that came of age after the Cold War are interventionists. Now it seems fairly certain that the isolationist strain of American foreign policy will reassert itself as it did after Vietnam and (briefly) Somalia.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
VanMardigan said:
How do the candidates rank in terms of their knowledge of economic issues. I think that it'll be the biggest issue for the GE and personally, it's the most important issue to me. Which candidate is currently considered the most knowledgeable on the subject?

They all suck

Tamanon

Banned
VanMardigan said:

Probably a tie between Obama and Clinton, and both light years beyond McCain.

scorcho

APF said:
Meh, we don't really know what he's going to run on, really. Running on Iraq as the major part of his platform would be a disaster however, given the fact that it's not the most important issue in voters' minds, and that if it were he'd be on the wrong side.
good thing McCain has admitted his strength and grasp on economic issues then. ugh.

i swear, if Democrats miss this opportunity in November...

Guileless said:
I don't think Robert Kagan or Max Boot worked for the Bush Administration. With the way the Right has splintered over the war, McCain would have a very tough time getting a major figure from the 'realist' school to work for him at this point since he is still a hawk. I'm sure some Cold War guys will come out of mothballs for the general election, but most of the foreign policy intelligentsia in both parties that came of age after the Cold War are interventionists. Now it seems fairly certain that the isolationist strain of American foreign policy will reassert itself as it did after Vietnam and (briefly) Somalia.
while neither has worked for the Bush Administration, they are of the same ilk that infiltrated during Bush's first term, which explains why i slammed my head against the desk so hard after reading the NYT piece.

i agree about the rest, though i'd argue that there's still a strong (if not stronger) commitment to work within pre-existing multilateral institutions to solve issues.

VanMardigan said:

None of them are great on the economy IMO, McCain is pretty much hands off, more tax cuts, more de-regulation.

(My spin, Deregulation is what got us into the subprime mess, bush tax cuts have been pretty mediocre)

Obama-> Re-Vamp Mortage regulation rules, Go through with Dodd subprime mess plan, more tax cuts for the middle class, do something about CEO pay

Clinton-> Create a Poverty Czar, Create a committee including greenspan to look into subprime, create a housing auction to get people into the foreclosed homes.

(my spin: I like Obama's a bit better, I think it gets closer to the root issues of the subprime mess, but I'm not a fan of the CE Pay rhetoric, and I'm not sold on Dodd's plan. Clinton getting greenspan to work on it seems backwards to me, since his deregulation and lack enforcement helped lead to this mess. I do like her auction for foreclosed homes though, that makes a lot of sense)

maynerd

Banned
electricpirate said:
None of them are great on the economy IMO, McCain is pretty much hands off, more tax cuts, more de-regulation.

(My spin, Deregulation is what got us into the subprime mess, bush tax cuts have been pretty mediocre)

Obama-> Re-Vamp Mortage regulation rules, Go through with Dodd subprime mess plan, more tax cuts for the middle class, do something about CEO pay

Clinton-> Create a Poverty Czar, Create a committee including greenspan to look into subprime, create a housing auction to get people into the foreclosed homes.

(my spin: I like Obama's a bit better, I think it gets closer to the root issues of the subprime mess, but I'm not a fan of the CE Pay rhetoric, and I'm not sold on Dodd's plan. Clinton getting greenspan to work on it seems backwards to me, since his deregulation and lack enforcement helped lead to this mess. I do like her auction for foreclosed homes though, that makes a lot of sense)

This was a great piece on NPR that talked about the subprime mess. There was a lot I didn't know about the situation that I learned about in this interview. Very interesting.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89338743

Clevinger

PhoenixDark said:

Did they talk about how he called his wife a cunt in public?

APF

scorcho said:
while neither has worked for the Bush Administration, they are of the same ilk that infiltrated during Bush's first term, which explains why i slammed my head against the desk so hard after reading the NYT piece.
Meh, that piece was mostly FUD of course. This is like [/ is an example of] when someone feels like they're going to lose an internal discussion, so they leak their side to the press in order to control the debate. In any case, if this is a real concern you should be cheering more than self-mutilating.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
"Infiltrate?" What are they, Mossad agents? During the Clinton Administration they worked at think tanks or held professorships at universities and most of them worked previously in the Reagan or George H.W. Bush administrations. They were consistent on Iraq during the 90s, and once in power they advocated a policy that easily passed both houses of Congress and had wide public approval at the time.

The idea that neocons are a band of nefarious Machiavellians bent on world domination leads to ridiculous stuff like this: U.N. Official Calls for Study Of Neocons' Role in 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom