• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Only six GOP candidates likely to make next main debate stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Good, nine is way too many. It sucks to see Rand go since he can be the voice of reason but he's been polling so poorly it's deserved. He should improve his NH numbers up to get back in like Christie did.
My baseless suspicion is that these bloated fields are deliberate attempt by the party to reduce Trump's air time. The GOP wants him on camera as little as possible even it means having to do so by including bottom feeders in the polls.

But I haven't been able to catch the recent debates so maybe he is on camera 90% of the time anyway.
I believe in the last debate he spoke less than Cruz and Rubio.

I don't see how Rand is any different from Ted Cruz.
Rand is completely different from Cruz. He does not favor carpetbombing Syria to hell and sending ground troops. He favors least US military entanglements out of everyone on that stage. He also understands how trade works and can probably find south china sea on a map. He's a goldbug though and his domestic policies suck. But I'd rather have him on stage than the buffoonish trigger Happy, shoot down russian planes Chris Christie, aptly labeled the "WW3 candidate" by Rand. He was on the money with that line.

ATF487

Rand Paul is as crazy as any of them. His flat tax and federal reserve/gold standard views are ludicrous.

Yeah but he aired his grievances during festivus today. I'd rather have some hot zingers like "to my absentee friend @marcorubio, I didn't put your $170k+ salary in my waste report today. But I could have #Festivus" instead of whatever the fuck Carson brings to the table.

Those candidates are also disgraces. If you have a bad rating on civil liberties and the free market, what does that make you? Just a democrat that's anti-abortion basically. That's really what the party is at this point.

You posting the cr link implies you feel it has some merit to support your argument. Ted cruz is a disgrace to me (well, anyone who can reason in general) but he rates green in every category and yellow in one other.

What's more is that supporting the gold standard is considered a positive in their free market evaluation.

Slacker

It'll be a much deserved demotion for Fiorina, who was only called up to the kids table because CNN decided she'd be good ratings and changed their criteria at the last minute. I hope she'll enjoy lying her ass off to a much smaller audience this time around.

RDreamer

I think he would. He looks "Presidential" and doesn't sound like a complete buffoon. But alas I have to hear these fools (Not Paul and Rubio they're ok)

Trump would curb stomp Romney like no tomorrow. It wouldn't be pretty at all. Trump's whole things is about winning and you think that loser Romney can take him down? Trump would just talk about how he's a loser over and over again.

Davey Cakes

I'd rather Rand Paul and Chris Christie be there than Jeb Bush, honestly.

Jeb is the most pathetic guy up there. The only benefit is seeing Trump rip him apart.

Flo_Evans

Rand is also the only one (on either side as far as I can tell) against NSA spying and bullshit privacy violations.

He is only right on this issue because he basically thinks the federal government should do as little as possible but hey. At least someone is saying it on national TV.

Betty

Banned
I'd rather Rand Paul and Chris Christie be there than Jeb Bush, honestly.

Jeb is the most pathetic guy up there. The only benefit is seeing Trump rip him apart.

Jeb deserves to go.

He knows he should go.

He probably wishes he could go.

But too much money has been spent and now he's trapped.

It's glorious.

KHarvey16

Rand is also the only one (on either side as far as I can tell) against NSA spying and bullshit privacy violations.

He is only right on this issue because he basically thinks the federal government should do as little as possible but hey. At least someone is saying it on national TV.

It's a position he can take since if his economic policies were implemented we'd spend all of our time in public waiting in bread lines.

Does it seem like articles/OPs like this always seem to be missing one major detail--such as the date of the event in question?

Whether debate, election or series premier, I always feel like I read an OP or even follow a link to the article and still am left having to google the time in which the thing is going to happen.

#mondaygrumpiness

IpsoFacto

Yep, it's high time the candidates who are way below the 5% to start dropping out 'cause they ain't going nowhere.

I'm still hoping Fiorina can make the cut, but as of right now... To especifically Jeb, Rand, Christie, Huckabee and Santorum: GET LOST!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hasn't Ben Carson hit the point where he should stop getting air time?

No? He's the third best candidate in Iowa according to most polls and fourth best nationally. He's doing better than Bush, Christie, Kasich, etc. and arguably is running fairly even with Rubio at the moment even if his trend is downwards.

gabbo

No? He's the third best candidate in Iowa according to most polls and fourth best nationally. He's doing better than Bush, Christie, Kasich, etc. and arguably is running fairly even with Rubio at the moment even if his trend is downwards.

Thought he had sunk a lot lower than he had.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My baseless suspicion is that these bloated fields are deliberate attempt by the party to reduce Trump's air time. The GOP wants him on camera as little as possible even it means having to do so by including bottom feeders in the polls.

But I haven't been able to catch the recent debates so maybe he is on camera 90% of the time anyway.

Yea, kind of. But really everyone else has tried to match him in crazy. Christie was legitimately unhinged at the last debate. It was total cringe.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's about time Rand got pushed off the main stage. The hosts have been finding excuse after excuse to keep in around this long.

He actually disagrees with many of his colleagues on actual issues so it looks more like a real debate.

IpsoFacto

Carson was actually over Trump for a little while. He's dropped a lot but he still towers over all the bottom people we've been talking about.

Arkeband

Banned
If they want to cut the bullshit, this would be a three-man debate between Rubio, Cruz, and Trump (although with Cruz and Trump on stage, the bullshit would still be at capacity).

Jeb can be king of the goons at the kid's table while he continues to figure out whether or not to market himself as a Bush.

The rest can all fuck off, they're wasting everyone's time.

Rand seems like a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the crazy, until you see the clip of him defending anti-vaccination hysteria... and he's a doctor.

mackattk

I am glad Carson will be back again. I need some more of his analogies to brain surgery in my life.

Can we get a moment of silence for the candidates that will not make it to the next debate?

IpsoFacto

I don't understand Jeb. He has no presence and no charisma.

He's been Trump's punching bag for most of his campaign... which is pretty f***ing sad.

Are the likes of Kasich, Santorum and Paul really going to hang around until Super Tuesday? If they had any self respect at all they would just suspend now with some dignity intact.

IpsoFacto

A lot of 'em having been hanging on because they've been managing their campaign funds rather well, unlike Scott Walker who blew his entire budget in one go.

DrArchon

I can't wait for more candidates to drop out, if only so I can see who they endorse and think to myself "yeah, I'm sure they really appreciate getting that .5% poll bump from that".

Seriously, I have no idea how so many of these clowns have stayed in. Any other election and they'd have been dropping like flies, especially with a candidate as dominate as Trump running. What makes them think that they can do it?

HylianTom

Banned
Only 6?

Still 6 too many
I like it. Trump is a lackluster debater, so having to share so much screen time disguises this to some extent by diluting his speaking time.

By the time he gets to a one-against-one(or two) debating situation, where he's forced to provide voters with more than just vague sound bites, it might be too late on the calendar to stop his momentum in the primaries.

Lunar15

While I like having him on the stage, him not being there is the free market in action. Nobody in the party cares about him.

This made me laugh. It's so true.

I really don't agree with libertarian ideals, but I feel like rand made it an actual debate. I think I also would have preferred Rand against DNC candidate, simply because I think that debate would have whittled down to some more core arguments between the sides than anything the other GOP could have come with. There's some weird stuff that overlaps between libertarians and democrats so we would have been able to see Hillary/Bern/whoever talk about different issues instead of the normal stuff. Dems could have come with sharper knives and better arguments.

But republicans gonna republican, I guess.

I'm gonna miss Rand if only because it was absolutely amazing whenever he attacked one of the others and because those moments when he would say the most sensible things of the debate.

Him getting his turn to speak was always interesting in some way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom