• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Republicans plan massive cuts to programs for the poor

Tripon

Under enormous internal pressure to quickly balance the budget, Republicans are considering slashing more than $400 billion in spending through a process to evade Democratic filibusters in the Senate, multiple sources told POLITICO.

The proposal, which would be part of the House Budget Committee's fiscal 2018 budget, won't specify which programs will get the ax; instead it will instruct committees to figure out what to cut to reach the savings. But among the programs most likely on the chopping block, the sources say, are food stamps, welfare, income assistance for the disabled and perhaps even veterans’ benefits.

If enacted, such a plan to curb safety-net programs — all while juicing the Pentagon’s budget and slicing corporate tax rates — would amount to the biggest shift in federal spending priorities in decades.

Enraged by Democrats claiming victory after last month’s government funding agreement, White House officials in recent weeks have pressed Hill Republicans to include more Trump priorities in the fiscal 2018 blueprint.

House Budget Republicans hope to incorporate those wishes and are expected, for example, to budget for Trump’s infrastructure plan. Tax reform instructions will also be included in the budget, paving the way for both chambers to use the powerful budget reconciliation process to push a partisan tax bill through Congress on simple majority votes, as well as the $400 billion in mandatory cuts.

But while former Freedom Caucus conservative-turned-White House budget director Mick Mulvaney has tried to convince the president of the merits of such reforms, Trump has refused to back down on his campaign pledge to leave Medicare and Social Security alone. (He’s reversed himself on a vow not to touch Medicaid, which would see $880 billion in cuts under the Obamacare repeal bill passed by the House.)

Mulvaney, sources say, has been huddling on a weekly basis with House Budget Chairwoman Diane Black (R-Tenn.) and Senate Budget Chairman Mike Enzi (R-Wy.) to plot a path forward. There appears to be some common ground to consider cuts to other smaller entitlement programs: While the Office of Management and Budget would not respond to request for comment, CQ reported Tuesday that the White House was also considering hundreds of billions in cuts to the same programs being eyed by House budget writers.

“I’ve already started to socialize the discussion around here in the West Wing about how important the mandatory spending is to the drivers of our debt,” Mulvaney told radio host Hugh Hewitt in March. “There are ways that we can not only allow the president to keep his promise, but to help him keep his promise by fixing some of these mandatory programs.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...-programs-food-stamps-welfare-veterans-238314

liquidtmd

Banned
You slash $400billion in terms of social programmes for the poor without thinking, you're gonna have a bad time mmm'kay?

They'll cut veterans benefits and still a lot of conservatives won't blink. That's how much the Republicans know how their base falls in line.

Furyous

Republicans are unAmerican because they propose cutting veteran's benefits.

*tries to find a way to rationalize this dumb ass action*

*finds none*

Do they realize elections are next year? Pushing for tax cuts and eliminating "entitlements" is a good way to begin another recession. Here's a fucking thought: tax the billionaires. Take away $400 billion of tax cuts from multi national corporations with $100 million revenue, millionaires, and billionaires.

linkboy

They'll cut veterans benefits and still a lot of conservatives won't blink. That's how much the Republicans know how their base falls in line.

They'll cut veteran benefits and fucking veterans will continue to support them. I'm going to be a vet soon (getting out in July) and the amount of support the GOP gets from the military is fucking disgusting.

Kusagari

25586446.jpg

Beartruck

Yeah, how dare they make a plan everybody likes. They are so eager to not work with democrats they'll shove through a massive clusterfuck budget that will harm most of the country.

dabig2

Yeah, I'm not dating any trash that supports this. This isn't just politics or a difference of opinions, people's lives and well-beings are on the line, and it just coincidentally happens to be the lives of the most vulnerable in our society.

Fuck you if you entertain this long-time classic play of the Republican party - meaning you can just blame Trump for this and absolve yourself because "hrrrr I didn't vote for the guy and don't like him either!" This isn't Trump, this has ALWAYS been the Repub party and this nonsense has been going on since most of us were born.

But keep caping for these monsters and preaching "both sides".

BriGuy

When are people going to sit down and take a long hard look at what this supposed "Party of Jesus" actually stands for? I'm no theologian, but I'm pretty sure this is not WWJD.

Yeah, I'm not dating any trash that supports this. This isn't just politics or a difference of opinions, people's lives and well-beings are on the line, and it just coincidentally happens to be the lives of the most vulnerable in our society.

Fuck you if you entertain this long-time classic play of the Republican party - meaning you can just blame Trump for this and absolve yourself because "hrrrr I didn't vote for the guy and don't like him either!" This isn't Trump, this has ALWAYS been the Repub party and this nonsense has been going on since most of us were born.

But keep caping for these monsters and preaching "both sides".
My man.

You slash $400billion in terms of social programmes for the poor without thinking, you're gonna have a bad time mmm'kay?

Nah, poor white folk will just keep voting R because rich dudes tell them minorities, immigrants, and selective misinterpreted Bible verses are the cause of their problems

Nah, poor white folk will just keep voting R because rich dudes tell them minorities, immigrants, and selective misinterpreted Bible verses are the cause of their problems

“I’ll tell you what’s at the bottom of it. If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.” - President Lyndon B. Johnson

Dishwalla

Banned
They'll cut veteran benefits and fucking veterans will continue to support them. I'm going to be a vet soon (getting out in July) and the amount of support the GOP gets from the military is fucking disgusting.

Aside from getting out in July(November for me), these are my thoughts exactly.

Part of me feels like I'm making the wrong decision and would benefit from staying in, at least in the short term, but I just can't do it. I know this isn't what I want to do anymore.

”I'll tell you what's at the bottom of it. If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." - President Lyndon B. Johnson

Yup. Still remains true to this day. I bet there were probably plantation owners who said the same shit when they started noticing indentured servants bonding with slaves. Poor white folk have been falling for the same trick for centuries

Let them. People need to feel the pain of their stupidity.

The problem with this sentiment, along with similar things against anti-vaxxers, is that there's no way to limit the fallout to JUST them. Their stupidity affects people other than them, and probably largely so

Jesus, are we still in that budget reconciliation thing they can pass stuff with a simple majority vote? When are they actually going to need 60 votes in the Senate again? I don't get this

When are people going to sit down and take a long hard look at what this supposed "Party of Jesus" actually stands for? I'm no theologian, but I'm pretty sure this is not WWJD.
Who's Jesus? Is it the Mexican who keeps taking all the jobs? Fuck him and deport him back to where he came from.

/s

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I see the American Taliban is still worshipping the one true god, Money (Tax Cuts)

Yeah the poor have had it good for too long, Bootstraps Assemble!

Dierce

Let them. People need to feel the pain of their stupidity.

The people who vote for republicans might just as well be in line at the guillotine yet they will keep on praising their republicans masters while decrying liberals. These people are far too gone, they are fanatics like isis terrorists.

How to get the uninitiated to vote 101.
Republicans will make it harder for the poor in urban areas to go out and vote while rural assholes will keep on voting republican regardless.

This is how Republicans lose Republican votes

No, it's not. Republican voters are spineless and pathetic. They have no core moral beliefs beyond, "Fuck Democrats." As long as the evil fucks they elect keep throwing up those middle fingers to da libruls, Republican voters will get in line and scarf down whatever slop the conservative fuck sticks dole out.

Future

GOP has always been bad with veterans, though. Well to be fair, so have Democrats and the entire government. But GOP just says they're for the veterans and they get more of a pass when the GOP still finds a way to fuck them.

Yup. I always feel talk about taking care of veterans is more about USA! USA! Greatest military! Than it is about you know ... actually taking care of veterans

liquidtmd

Banned
Well, the next plan is to remove poor's voting rights.

Pretty much, hence Trumps 'Investigation' into the last election.

Findings? 'Process flawed, need to strip away...I mean secure procedures that coincidentally will hit Democrat voters hardest somehow'

I can't wait to see crime increase, and the subsequent "justified" crackdowns.

You will see this, yes. And as a result, more people disenfranchised from the government via denial of voting rights, accelerated by Trump's Denial of Voting Committee. And then very likely more of a chance to hold onto power.

Top Bottom