• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Best Analog Stick Placement

Select

• Xbox / Asymmetric

Votes: 203 43.1%
  • PlayStation / Symmetric bottom

Votes: 196 41.6%
  • Wii U Pro / Symmetric top

Votes: 19 4.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • No preference

Votes: 49 10.4%

• Total voters

cireza

The good answer depends on what is meant to be used the most on your controller. When you pick a controller, your thumbs tend to be rather high (natural position, no effort).

On an Xbox controller, it means that you left thumb is aligned with the stick, and your right thumb with the buttons. Do you make more use of the left stick than the d-pad ? Yes. Do you make more use of the right stick than the buttons ? Depends on the game I would say, but overall, yes.

So the Xbox positioning is probably the best. I still really like Wii U positioning , it works also very well, and symmetrical is actually not bad either.

However, PS positioning is just plain bad, way too low, way too close.

Last edited:

Exoil

I can't vote yet, but I would go with No preference.
It doesn't matter if I boot up the PS4 or the X, both controllers feel equal tome

Mokus

Symmetrical and asymmetrical:
xqCdpc7.jpg

I have a preference...and it's anything but the WiiU layout. Left analog, top, bottom...doesn't matter to me...but keep that right analog at the bottom dagnammit!

FeldMonster

Of the options listed, I think the Xbox layout is the best, followed by the WiiU. Though someone earlier made the correct statement that they are all a compromise.

I have thought about this quite a bit, as I am somewhat obsessed with controllers (I have 6 for my Xbox for example). The upper position is the most natural for your thumbs, so I think the best would be the following:
  • Analog sticks in the upper layout position (WiiU)
  • No face buttons (other than Menu/View/Start/Select/etc.) on the front
  • 4 "face" buttons on back, 2 per side
  • Repositioned shoulder/trigger buttons to allow natural hand position
Think about holding a broomstick or shovel and envision how your hand naturally positions itself.

I should draw my idea in CAD...

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
i find the xbox placement is awkward for playing side scrollers and fighting games and never was a fan of their d-pads either, it's supposed to be better in shooters and racing games but i usually don't play those kind of games that much, so the playstation way is ideal for me (i play on pc)

Andodalf

Banned
Symmetry looks nice, but isn't as practical For 3d games. A stick on the top is easier to move up/down, so having it one the left stick is great, because its used most often for movement, which is primarily forwards and backwards in a 3d game. Having a stick in the low/middle position is easier to move right/left, which is perfect for the camera movement often assigned to the right stick. High Left Low Right = Best suited for typical 3D movement.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox easily.

The vast majority of games use LS to move and face buttons (and triggers) for actions. That gives you a natural hand position and also symmetrical.

Only some games requiring double analogs at all times. And even if it does at least you got your left hand in a comfortable position, and LS is always the main function for moving.

For PS Dualshocks, whether the game requires LS or LS/RS you got your thumbs sicking out 90 degrees which is never a natural position.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Xbox easily.

The vast majority of games use LS to move and face buttons (and triggers) for actions. That gives you a natural hand position and also symmetrical.

Only some games requiring double analogs at all times. And even if it does at least you got your left hand in a comfortable position, and LS is always the main function for moving.

For PS Dualshocks, whether the game requires LS or LS/RS you got your thumbs sicking out 90 degrees which is never a natural position.

Do you not find it good for moving the stick left/right? maybe its just my small hands, but i find it fine for that

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do you not find it good for moving the stick left/right? maybe its just my small hands, but i find it fine for that
Playing PS at my bros place, I never got use to it.

Having thumbs at sharp angles like that feels even worse when playing a shooter and requiring use of trigger buttons.

Xbox's LT/RT triggers feel more natural to push when hand placement is in a more natural position.

Quezacolt

Asymmetric. It just feels right. The ps4 sticks dont bother me much anymore, but i would prefer to have them asymmetric.

No preference, it's pretty easy to adapt between orientations for myself. Only issue I've had with a controller is getting cramps after playing Switch at length.

hunthunt

Banned
I can play on both configurations without a problem.

In fact I never understood this 'dilemma', my biggest problem with gamepads, is with the Xbox and the stupid layout of A B X Y which is opposed to the classic Nintendo scheme.

Batiman

Banned
Asymmetrical easily. Cannot play shooters with a DS4 for shit. The ps1 controller was comfortable while using the d-pad. Then they crammed dual sticks wherever they could on that controller and years later they still haven’t been fixed. It’s much more natural for my thumbs to sit where the d-pad is meanwhile the d-pad is rarely used.

PocoJoe

Banned
Playstation style.

It is superior:

Natural position for relaxed thumbs on the sticks, feels good to grip. Fast to click arrows/buttons when needed.

Honestly i dont get why people like xbox style, it feels fucking weird/wrong.

My left thumb aint shorter so why stick is closer to the side than right one?

Either have to keep left thumb constantly "non relaxed" or have to grip left hand differently.

Maybe it is for fifa/nhl players etc? I dont play those but any other genre = symmetrical are superior for moving/aiming

PocoJoe

Banned
Asymmetrical easily. Cannot play shooters with a DS4 for shit. The ps1 controller was comfortable while using the d-pad. Then they crammed dual sticks wherever they could on that controller and years later they still haven’t been fixed. It’s much more natural for my thumbs to sit where the d-pad is meanwhile the d-pad is rarely used.

They fixed it on ds4. On ps3 they were too close. ( No, fingers cant touch each other when you use ds4 like it should be, with finger tips on sticks. So how you claim their are too close??)

How can your left thumb be natural on stick and right one too? Different sized hands or what?

Because if stick closer to the side is natural for you, then right stick is on wrong place, unless you grip it differently between hands

I just dont get how DS4 cant feel natural while asymmetrical can. Like someone claiming that cars driving wheel feels natural when one side is square and one circlular.

Maybe people grip their controller so weirdly that ds4 wont fit?

Sticks should just naturally be under thumbs fingerprint area when relaxed on DS4 with normal grip

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Xbox has the best controller in gaming. There is no contest.

Playstation controllers have always been trash - especially for fps. From the awful pressure buttons of the PS2, to the terrible triggers of PS3. The DS4 still gets the stick placement wrong and the triggers are still bad. Ive re-bought so many games on xbox just because the controller is 1000x better. Even this week ill be buying the newly released xb version of Hotline Miami. Playing thru those games on the awful DS3 still gives me nightmares.

Last edited:

slade

No real preference. I like both MS and Sony's controllers. Have only used a Wii U controller to play Bayonetta 2 once and didn't have any problems with it. The dualshock layout has been around for 20 some odd years now. Stick placement aside, it should be second nature for most gamers.

mekes

I prefer PlayStation layout. But I regard the dpad as having prime placement on the Dualshock controller, which is great for me personally as I play lots of fighting games. For the analogue placement, I find either controller comfy to use. But for the dpad, I vastly prefer the layout on the DualShock.

quickwhips

I used ps4 most of generation with destiny and its ok but when i bought an xbox and got an elite it felt so good to be back with my favorite controller.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sony went from one of the worst controllers in human existence with the DS3 to an admittedly great controller with the DS4. It‘s still a long way to go to compete with the King though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Batiman

Banned
They fixed it on ds4. On ps3 they were too close. ( No, fingers cant touch each other when you use ds4 like it should be, with finger tips on sticks. So how you claim their are too close??)

How can your left thumb be natural on stick and right one too? Different sized hands or what?

Because if stick closer to the side is natural for you, then right stick is on wrong place, unless you grip it differently between hands

I just dont get how DS4 cant feel natural while asymmetrical can. Like someone claiming that cars driving wheel feels natural when one side is square and one circlular.

Maybe people grip their controller so weirdly that ds4 wont fit?

Sticks should just naturally be under thumbs fingerprint area when relaxed on DS4 with normal grip
I never claimed they were too close?
My right thumb naturally sits by the buttons which makes sense because that thumb needs to switch between buttons and joystick. ( the buttons being more important in most games then right stick). The left stick is used almost 100% of the time with most games. It makes sense to have that in the most natural spot which is where the d-pad sits. It felt out of place when they added it on ps1 because they had the design already made and they had to put it wherever they could. Now I don’t see a reason why it shouldn’t be in the most natural spot since the d-pad isn’t as important.

Hand someone that never played a video game the DS4 and tell me where their thumbs naturally land. You’ll get your answer.

when I hold a controller, my hand isn't pronated, it's more pistol grip. My thumb is naturally up higher on the controller. While I do eventually get used to a PS controller, having the main movement on the lower part of the controller seems like im reaching for it moreso than up high, across from the buttons.

maybe PS will keep taking from xbox's better shape and comfort even more with the ps6. I also don't care, i just do mouse keyboard.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I have a PS4 and an Xbox One S. When playing on the PS4, I don’t notice the controller, it’s all pretty good, and it kinda disappears. When I play on the Xbox, I can’t help but notice how good the controller feels. It’s like coming home; everything is where it should be, and I find myself appreciating it. The DualShock is inoffensive and serviceable. The Xbox Controller is just simply comfortable. There’s a reason Microsoft didn’t alter the design too much for the Series X.

baphomet

With how stupid some of the replies are in this thread you'd think everyone has crippled hands.

Also people acting like the face buttons are more important than the right stick is modern games is hilarious.

Asymmetric master race reporting in. A lower right stick makes pressing the triggers more comfortable for FPS and Souls inspired games and it's easier to use the face buttons for high octane action like DMC or Platinum games that don't require you to move the camera a lot. It's just way more comfortable.

With how stupid some of the replies are in this thread you'd think everyone has crippled hands.

Also people acting like the face buttons are more important than the right stick is modern games is hilarious.
you're right, the right joystick should be up higher on both :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom