• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLL - GTA6 - Currentgen only, or lastgen release?

Is GTA6 releasing in last gen consoles?

• No, NEXTGEN (current gen) only - PS5/ Xbox X/S and later PC.

Votes: 124 50.2%
  • YES! it's LASTGEN & NEXTGEN .

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Leave me alone.

Votes: 31 12.6%

• Total voters

GermanZepp

Hello, to continue an argument with a friend i bring you this poll.

Considering the supposedly "new ahead off time" iteration of the rage engine, allegedly bigger maps with more npc's and dynamic weather.
Remenber GTAV released and run in a PS3. :pie_thinking:

Thanks!

ta5-map-mapa-de-los-santos-de-gta-5-11562891348hmwhjiccju.png

cormack12

Gold Member
I would assume it is crossgen because they want to sell as many as they can.
This makes the most sense but having split off gta online I'm hoping they go all in. But what will probably happen is cross gen then a year later we will get the PC port as a console optimised version.

AJUMP23

This makes the most sense but having split off gta online I'm hoping they go all in. But what will probably happen is cross gen then a year later we will get the PC port as a console optimised version.
It would be nice to be only next gen, but from a business sense that isn't going to happen.

It’s going to be a huge game, with massive and dense cities, huge amounts of NPC’s and so much more.

I don’t see how they can pull that off on last-gen hardware without running into CPU and streaming limitations, similar to what happened with Cybepunk.

It’s true last gen still has a large user base but Rockstar likely see GTA 6 as their cash cow for at least 7-8 years folllowing it’s launch, similar to what we saw with GTA 5 so they can easily hit their sales targets regardless.

Who cares if it comes to last gen??

When the game is being made for PS5/ XboxSX you can aim high and then tone it down for last gen, and i think thats the part ppl dont understand..

GymWolf

Who cares if it comes to last gen??

When the game is being made for PS5/ XboxSX you can aim high and then tone it down for last gen, and i think thats the part ppl dont understand..

It could come to Switch so equivalent to last last gen.

Rockstar wants all your money. It will include the ps4 and Xbox

If they could put GTA on every system they would.

FavoriteAlienatedFalcon-max-1mb.gif

I think its very possible that GTA 6 ends up being on old and new gen consoles, it all depends on the install base of the PS5 and Series X around the time that they plan to release the game.

But I would think Rockstar has been developing the game to run on PS4/Xbox one hardware.

i'll be super raging if Rockstar release this on last gen.

PS5/XSX + PC (a year later obv) only!

next gen! think of cyberpunk.
i'm not a fan of Rockstar AND i don't want GTA VI on PS4 but to be fair with them they did a great job of getting GTA V to run on PS3 in 2013.

Last edited:

Raven77

It’s going to be a huge game, with massive and dense cities, huge amounts of NPC’s and so much more.

I don’t see how they can pull that off on last-gen hardware without running into CPU and streaming limitations, similar to what happened with Cybepunk.

It’s true last gen still has a large user base but Rockstar likely see GTA 6 as their cash cow for at least 7-8 years folllowing it’s launch, similar to what we saw with GTA 5 so they can easily hit their sales targets regardless.

This is the correct answer. Why would they care about selling GTA 6 to a few PS4 players when instead they can plan to sell many millions more to PS5, PS6, Xbox 1 Xtreme One SX 720, and Xbox Z One YX 360-2?

Del_X

There's no argument here. It's going to be current-gen only. This is a recurring revenue stream and will have a high take-rate with newly sold GPUs, Xbox Series, and PS5s. There's already a large enough install base for something that will have a multi-billion dollar decade-long lifespan.

There's no argument here. It's going to be current-gen only. This is a recurring revenue stream and will have a high take-rate with newly sold GPUs, Xbox Series, and PS5s. There's already a large enough install base for something that will have a multi-billion dollar decade-long lifespan.
PS5 only has 21m sales so far.

both PS4/XB1 had much larger userbase than that in 2013.

Del_X

PS5 only has 21m sales so far.

both PS4/XB1 had much larger userbase than that in 2013.
I don't think you mean 2013 since they weren't out.

21m users hungry for content (probably 30-35m by late-2023), and similar amounts of XSX|S, a lot of decent RTX-capable GPUs... They have a TAM of probably 100 million at the outset, and likely 10-15M sales in the first 6-12 months on top of microtransactions. It's not like supporting last gen doesn't cost them resources (and limit the appeal on current gen).

I don't think you mean 2013 since they weren't out.

21m users hungry for content (probably 30-35m by late-2023), and similar amounts of XSX|S, a lot of decent RTX-capable GPUs... They have a TAM of probably 100 million at the outset, and likely 10-15M sales in the first 6-12 months on top of microtransactions. It's not like supporting last gen doesn't cost them resources (and limit the appeal on current gen).
forgive me. PS3/360* LOL

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No way.
I don't imagine any ps4 game releasing in 5 years
This game started dev in 2014. It's cross gen trash.

The only reason why it wont release until 2025 is because Rockstar forced almost everyone of their 3000+ employees to work on RDR2. Once they shipped that in 2018, they moved back to GTA6 but its been in development hell since. No one started dev in 2018 for a next gen game. Not even first party studios from Sony and Microsoft. Why would Rockstar?

They will probably drop the last gen versions like Gotham Knights and TLOU remake are doing, but it will be held back by last gen hardware and design.

GymWolf

This game started dev in 2014. It's cross gen trash.

The only reason why it wont release until 2025 is because Rockstar forced almost everyone of their 3000+ employees to work on RDR2. Once they shipped that in 2018, they moved back to GTA6 but its been in development hell since. No one started dev in 2018 for a next gen game. Not even first party studios from Sony and Microsoft. Why would Rockstar?

They will probably drop the last gen versions like Gotham Knights and TLOU remake are doing, but it will be held back by last gen hardware and design.
Jesus dude don't be a jinx.

In 2014 they were doing rdr2, the main developing probably started around 2017-2018 and by that time you could probably replicate 80% of ps5 hardware...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jesus dude don't be a jinx.

In 2014 they were doing rdr2, the main developing probably started around 2017-2018 and by that time you could probably replicate 80% of ps5 hardware...
I am going by Jason's reporting. He said development started in 2014.

Yes, I think they COULD have started development on a next gen GTA in 2018 but if Horizon, God of War, GT7, Forza Horizon 5, Miles, TLOU remake, and all those cross gen games started dev in 2018 and made their games cross gen then why wont Rockstar?

I think starfield is the only big AAA game that started dev around that time and targeted next gen specs.

P.S i was wrong about all those games being next gen only. So I used to have faith in these cunts. Not anymore. At best, you will get something like FF7 Rebirth where they say its next gen only but using last gen character models lmao. So cross gen but with last gen versions dropped to focus on fewer SKUs.

GymWolf

I am going by Jason's reporting. He said development started in 2014.

Yes, I think they COULD have started development on a next gen GTA in 2018 but if Horizon, God of War, GT7, Forza Horizon 5, Miles, TLOU remake, and all those cross gen games started dev in 2018 and made their games cross gen then why wont Rockstar?

I think starfield is the only big AAA game that started dev around that time and targeted next gen specs.

P.S i was wrong about all those games being next gen only. So I used to have faith in these cunts. Not anymore. At best, you will get something like FF7 Rebirth where they say its next gen only but using last gen character models lmao. So cross gen but with last gen versions dropped to focus on fewer SKUs.
It's gonna be extremely easy to tell if the game has roots on old gen consoles, horizon forbidden exclusive was an eye opener already...

Also fuck jason and his reports:lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Last edited:

Aure

Banned
If it turns out to be last gen, then it's going to suck even harder than i'm prepared since R* has gone Wokestar.

GymWolf

If it turns out to be last gen, then it's going to suck even harder than i'm prepared since R* has gone Wokestar.
Yeah, if old rockstar management has gone woke and story\charas are as inoffensive as possible, the graphic\tech prowess remain the only reason to buy their game, if even that is off the table, the thing is gonna be a fucking disaster (relatively, still gonna sold 30 mil at worse)

Ben87fr

I can't vote but i would say cross-gen ? There is money to make with so many people still playing on ps4/one, if it's the case i think those versions will be really downgraded but what the hell let's make money !

Top Bottom