• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLL - GTA6 - Currentgen only, or lastgen release?

Is GTA6 releasing in last gen consoles?

• No, NEXTGEN (current gen) only - PS5/ Xbox X/S and later PC.

Votes: 124 50.2%
  • YES! it's LASTGEN & NEXTGEN .

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Leave me alone.

Votes: 31 12.6%

• Total voters
Should be current gen only, but wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar put it on last gen too. They somehow managed to work their magic with GTA V, I'm still impressed by how much they pushed 360/PS3 to the absolute limit.

supernova8

Banned
It would be nice to be only next gen, but from a business sense that isn't going to happen.
While I agree 100%, considering what they managed to achieve with a game that started on PS3/Xbox 360, I think GTA6 could still look amazing visually even if it was on PS4/Xbox One. RDR2 was last gen only (ie no 360/PS3) and that game looked/still looks phenomenal. I honestly don't think people would complain about a GTA with RDR2 or better visuals.

It's not so much that I hate cross-gen games, it's just that the vast majority of cross-gen games end up looking mediocre. If we're talking the studios that put out absolute visual bangers last gen, I don't think there's quite as much to worry about.

I'll be genuinely shocked if GTA6 isn't cross gen to maximise those shark card profits.

lt7csK7.gif

Why would a game that's yet to be announced and probably not due till 2024 be on PS4 and Xbox One? Literally makes no sense. Next year we won't have many cross gen games and 2024 even less. Also this is Rockstar and given how good their games look it would never run on those old consoles. It's gonna be 30fps on the new ones anyway.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This game has been in the works since 2015, I highly doubt it was made with next gen in mind unless Rockstar somehow managed to get the Xbox Series SDK early or some shit.
It's gonna be like GTA5, it comes out for both last and current gen

Last edited:

Klik

I think it would be really terrible to release GTA6 on last gen consoles. No way any AAA game released in 23/24 will be for last gen

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
After thinking about it a bit more, current gen only is a must. Even if it only means faster matchmaking and loading thanks to the SSD's.
Anyone who managed to get a console last gen can scrape £200 to get a series S.

Quantum253

While I agree 100%, considering what they managed to achieve with a game that started on PS3/Xbox 360, I think GTA6 could still look amazing visually even if it was on PS4/Xbox One. RDR2 was last gen only (ie no 360/PS3) and that game looked/still looks phenomenal. I honestly don't think people would complain about a GTA with RDR2 or better visuals.

It's not so much that I hate cross-gen games, it's just that the vast majority of cross-gen games end up looking mediocre. If we're talking the studios that put out absolute visual bangers last gen, I don't think there's quite as much to worry about.
GTA 6 online will be a huge thing (if GTA5 online is any indication) most the micro-transactions and recurring income will probably come from that mode.
I can see a standalone GTA 6 online mode that will spam across Ps4/One-Ps5/series X. Then a possible story focused current Gen only. That's if the money from Mtxs was a concern

Diddy X

Current and next-gen, last gen don't sell that many games anymore so they won't bother and instead make the game so it has graphics to reach next-gen in a good shape.

Isn't there content for GTAV exclusive to PS5/Xbox Series X versions due to the limitations of the PS4/XONE?

If they've already made that difference, allowing higher traversal speeds and whatnot, I can't imagine they'd IMMEDIATELY handicap themselves with a PS4/XONE release.

GTAV is either still charting or has charted for damn near 9 years since release. Yeah they may not have the greatest launch, but the legs for GTA6 has the potential to be even longer than GTAV.

Crayon

If it can run on an xb1, it can run on countless laptops, as well. Probably a bigger deal than whatever the active base on last gen consoles would be. Idk which way they'll go.

Top Bottom