• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Have you used VR in some capacity?

Tried VR yet?

• Yes, only phone/cardboard VR, though.

• Yes, I played PCVR/PSVR/Oculus Quest once (or a few times).

• Yes, I actually own a headset!

• No, I want to but I haven't had the chance.

• No, not interested.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wonko_C

Just a fun experiment, the results will probably amount to nothing that reflects the world at large, though. Feel free to comment on your choice too.

TLZ

Banned
Yes I have the PSVR and very curious about what the PSVR 2 is going to be and look like.

I hope it's at least 1080p per eye and much lighter and easier to use. Also I hope it doesn't fog up my glasses.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yes, I bought a PSVR headset bundle this past December. Before that I had only used a Samsung Gear headset.

I'll be buying a PSVR2 headset when it releases.

Last edited:

Tranquil

Own an Oculus Rift and had a PSVR, haven't used the Rift in year or so. For me they were both a waste of money, can't wear them longer than 30 minutes without needing to give my face a break.

MaulerX

I bought an original Rift when it launched. Awesome tech and loved it except one thing... it gets me sick. The motion sickness kept me from playing for an extended period of time. I tried building my tolerance and taking motion sickness pills. It got a little better but ultimately I just couldn't handle it and then I stopped caring. Used it for a few months and it's been in a drawer somewhere ever since.

TheSweeper

Bought an Oculus Go when it came out. Can't play games on it. I get terrible motion sickness. Same with Playstation VR. I also don't like the enclosed feeling of wearing a VR headset.

The tech is interesting but it's not for me.

jm89

Have a psvr. Played it quite a bit when i got it, but I found I constantly had to calibrate it after every few usages.

I don't know if that is the case with other be headsets aswell but that was one of the reasons I stopped using it. Also it wasn't always accurate and I couldn't be bothered to setup the monstrosity with my much cleaner ps5 setup.

Hopefully psvr2 is better in all those areas.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I own a Quest 2. It's great. If you buy it expecting it to be a peripheral purely for gaming, you're going to be disappointed. It is a platform for VR content, which you can also use as a PC VR headset. An extremely impressive one. But, I think of it as a device with far, far broader application than gaming, despite the fact that it is excellent for Half Life: Alyx or whatever.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Had a rift s. at first was excited about it but the novelty wore off. Not many good games available. Eventually was only playing beat sabre. Only had the headset a few months before selling it. Got about 70% of my money back.

wouldn’t buy another one until A LOT more games support VR and the tech has matured a bit more

nemiroff

Gold Member
My VR-owner history:

Oculus DK1
Oculus DK2
Oculus Rift CV1
HTC Vive
HP Reverb G2

The Reverb G2 is what I use now and it's a pretty damn amazing piece of hardware. The clarity is top notch, and with no screen door effect whatsoever. It's 4K though, so without a beefy GPU it's hard to reach its potential.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I've tried PSVR several times. The low image quality is what bothers me the most and I'm not even the guy who always cares about having the best graphics. I was close to buying PSVR on several ocassions when the hardware was on sale, but I will probably end up waiting for PSVR2 to come out.

regawdless

Banned
Missing an option for me.

I owned an Oculus Rift for two years, loved it. Played it a lot and used it to work out. Sold it though when my twin daughters were born because of lack of time and because I just can't totally zoom out of reality anymore. When all the kids are a bit older, I'll likely buy another VR headset. Shit is amazing.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Missing an option for me.

I owned an Oculus Rift for two years, loved it. Played it a lot and used it to work out. Sold it though when my twin daughters were born because of lack of time and because I just can't totally zoom out of reality anymore. When all the kids are a bit older, I'll likely buy another VR headset. Shit is amazing.

I've got a kid as well (and a second one incoming these days) and have felt a certain uncomfortable "paranoia" having both my hearing and visuals isolated while in VR. But the off-ear style audio on the G2 is great in this respect since it has very good audio quality at the same time as it's possible to monitor what's going on in real life around me.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Got a first generation HTC Vive and a PSVR - at the current state of development I tend to consider VR to be interesting, but far from compelling.

Kupfer

PSVR here, but I only finished Moss and tried some other games, but I get motion sick. Moss worked pretty well because of its fixed perspective, so I definitely will try Astro Bots Rescue Mission.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I have PSVR, but I'm not using it right now. Gave it away when I moved, now I'm waiting for PSVR2.

From watching VR clips on Youtube to using cinema mode to watching 3D movies...I really like VR. Still cant get thru RE7 tho. Having the entire room turn into the game is too much for my senses.

Astro Bot is amazing. And any of the Playroom, demo games.

Last edited:
My VR-owner history:

Oculus DK1
Oculus DK2
Oculus Rift CV1
HTC Vive
HP Reverb G2

The Reverb G2 is what I use now and it's a pretty damn amazing piece of hardware. The clarity is top notch, and with no screen door effect whatsoever. It's 4K though, so without a beefy GPU it's hard to reach its potential.

I’ve had:

Oculus DK2
Oculus Rift CV1
HTC Vive
Valve Index
Oculus Rift S
Oculus Quest 2

Right now I just have the Quest 2, sold the rest over time (I’m actually at a profit overall, don’t judge me).

Got a Rift S. Don’t use it often but it’s a neat toy. Love Star Wars Squadrons. But Dark Souls in VR is the real killer app.

Haggard

Banned
I check into the new headsets from time to time. So far I´ve played with the Occulus, the Explorer , the Index and the HTC one.
Imho the tech is still not mature enough for the big spotlight.

I own a WMR headset (Lenovo Explorer) and I really like it. Sure, it's not as advance or technically impressive compared to the Vive or the Index but it's 100% compatible with Steam VR, it's convenient to set up, no base stations required and it let me play Half-Life: Alyx, Pavlov VR and Boneworks. Best £140 spent and best eBay purchase!

I will more than likely upgrade to the Index once my headset is broken. (Or I find it for a good price 2nd hand.)

Last edited:
PSVR. Love it, played through Superhot VR several times. But these days I'm just too fucking lazy. Still wanna get back into Skyrim VR, 'cause even with the really shitty graphics (they are SO shitty) it is the most entertaining way of playing it!

JCK75

I got a Vive, a Samsung Odyssey+ and now the Valve index.
also have google daydream which they are killing which is sad because I enjoy it for videos.

I intend to get the new Playstation VR when I get a PS5 next year sometime.

Romulus

Yes, Rift S and PSVR. It's the only tech that fulfills what I thought the future gaming would be like it. But before I tried it, I had no idea it would be so good.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I have an Oculus Rift and I play Beat Saber and Pistol Whip a few times a week. Probably going to get a Valve Index to replace it though and I will probably pickup the PS5 PSVR. Some games in VR are simply amazing and Resident Evil 7 is one of them. To see it in full HD in VR will be amazing.

Rob_27

Had PSVR but got rid of it a few years ago. PSVR2 will hopefully be a big upgrade.

It did amaze me with the immersion.

But

resolution wasnt the best
field of view was a little small
wires and break out box got in the way
camera kept moving with the amount of cables.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I have the Quest 2 and a good pc so can play just about all vr stuff. That said I haven’t hooked it up yet since I don’t feel like being sick all night when done.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have a Valve Index and it has been the last thing that has given me that "wow" effect in games. Half-Life Alyx is incredible.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I owned a PSVR for about 6 months, then sold it. I picked the "I own a headset" poll option, because that was the closest, although I don't actually own the headset anymore.

I'm glad I gave it a try, but I ended up selling it for a few reasons: cables and headset felt cumbersome, I got motion sickness with some of the games that did not abate with practice, the move controllers felt clunky, and the library wasn't diverse enough for me.

Looks like they're making big improvements with PSVR 2, so I'll consider that at some point in the future. My main reservation will probably be the size and diversity of the library. Even with normal games, I'm picky and hard to please, so with a VR library, I have trouble finding games I really enjoy.

Last edited:
Love it. Just needs better cable management and higher resolution.

Every time I go in I'm always blown away by scale. Recently did this with Skyrim VR (again)

Zambatoh

I very briefly dabbled in Cardboard a couple years ago, but a long time ago I once tried out a VR headset which was basically a helmet with wires sticking out the top of it, which hanged off the ceiling. And I would stand on this ring shaped platform with a padded railing surrounding me, so I didn't accidentally fall on my ass.

The controller was basically a wireless flight-stick that was motion enabled. Tilting forward would cause the character to walk forward in whatever direction I was facing. And pulling the trigger would fire the blaster.

The game in question I believe was a modified version of Dark Forces It worked surprisingly well so I was kind of sad I never got another chance to try it.

Wonko_C

PSVR. Love it, played through Superhot VR several times. But these days I'm just too fucking lazy. Still wanna get back into Skyrim VR, 'cause even with the really shitty graphics (they are SO shitty) it is the most entertaining way of playing it!
Before Skyrim VR I didn't like any of the Elder Scrolls games (neither did I like any of the Fallouts), I tried playing Oblivion and Skyrim several times on Xbox 360 but I didn't like them at all. Putting Skyrim in VR completely fixed the game for me, LOL.

And even if the graphics aren't as good as the flat version, I love some of the landscapes the game puts out. One starry night in the plains with the full moon so huge, it was so beautiful. I stood in place for a few minutes, marveling through it all.

Termite

Have a PSVR which I got for like $250 new.

Incredible headset for the price, dogshit move controllers. Stuff that just uses the dual shock is amazing though. Really looking forward to PSVR 2 as that issue will be fully fixed.

Funny enough, the first time I tried PSVR and Vive I was totally unimpressed. It wasn't until I tried GearVR which blew my mind (first time I'd felt presence) that I was convinced VR was worth it and went back and decided to buy my own headset.

Romulus

There are levels:

Virtual Boy was straight up rejection and a kick to the nuts

Cardboard/Nintendo VR is like flirting with real VR from across the room

Gear VR is the pop kiss

PSVR is steamy full on make out sessions with grab ass

Quest 2 (without PC) is oral

Maxed out PCVR/Quest/Index is everything, full on sex but varying degrees depending on your headset of choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom