• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Missing Next Gen Controller Features

Select the ones you would like

• Back Paddles

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Standardized (but optional) Gyro Controls

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Single or Dual Trackpad

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Customizable Key Bindings

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • None of These

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Separable Controller (Switch style)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Back Paddles
E9B2580-n1__62085.1577836044.jpg

Technically we haven't seen the backside of the Dual Sense but if Sony were to include back paddles I don't see why they would wait to announce it. Microsoft will presumably create another Elite controller and Sony will sell an attachment, but would you prefer that they were included with the standard controller?

Standardized Gyro Controls
Tilting the controller for fine aiming. Normally used in combination with the analog stick or trackpad for larger movements. The DS4 has a gyro but it's only extensively used on the Switch and Steam Controller I believe.

Trackpads

Primarily used as an alternative to the right analog stick for faster 1:1 movement.

Customizable bindings
b617e83e59a4429af233abdd94234f63f645c4ba.jpg

An extensive set of tools to set up your controller bindings just how you want them, including double presses, button holds, multiple profiles and what not.

Separable Controller
efdd77be8f892883ac4de7a2f8fc5c2c

Like the Switch except it's a Xbox/PS Controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nothing is missing. Back paddles would be understandable but FUCK PADDLES.
PAddles seem like a great concept but the get in the way of holding the controller properly and add additional complexity which we don't need.
I would've nothing against paddles if they were customizable to any action user wants and not mandatory and default config

SLB1904

Banned
Nothing is missing. Back paddles would be understandable but FUCK PADDLES.
PAddles seem like a great concept but the get in the way of holding the controller properly and add additional complexity which we don't need.
I would've nothing against paddles if they were customizable to any action user wants and not mandatory and default config
I think backpadles would be good to swap the controls from mele to range attack.
At least thats how i see it.

hunthunt

Banned
There has to be a reason for Sony not showing the back of the Dual Sense.

Not that I care too much about paddles anyway, I dont see how could make my games more playable, except for Gran Turismo.

Wonko_C

I wish the controllers would separate like the Switch joycons. Very comfortable playing with arms apart resting on the sides.
I was going to post this. Split-able controllers with gyro, haptics and finger tracking sensors, that way when PSVR2 comes out we wouldn't need to spend more on extra controllers.

9eTNQGM.jpg

Reactions: TLZ

cormack12

Gold Member
Back paddles are essential BUT it's not necessarily for more buttons, it's usually better placement of horrible D-Pad bindings. Like the MFD in GT:S or grenades/inventory cycling in games like Division or Horizon.

Gyro aiming is another one, but I'm sure they could just have a dpi switch like the HORI 4PS controller did. Even map the DPI toggle to a back paddle?

I'd rather not have a massive touchpad either, I'd like a more discrete map button.

Soodanim

I like my Steam Controller. it's not perfect, but it's great. The software is the same.

But let's be honest here. There is no situation where you're going to see a niche product like a trackpad for consoles. Ever. It's just not going to happen.

Back paddles are the one thing that is likely. And I will continue to map LG to L3 in any game that is dumb enough to map run to it.

I was really wanting to see an OLED touchpad this gen, but I know the cost, etc. would prevent it from happening, but it still would have been cool to see in game stats like the VMU on the Dreamcast, that is one thing I always missed and hoped would make a comeback one day.

Top Bottom