• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: How Dark Souls II will make life even harder

Meia

Now imagine an anti-invasion ring in Dark Souls 2. You can't compare it to Dark Souls 1, where wearing an anti-invasion ring would be dumb since you could just go hollow (and that's also why Way of White was basically worthless). With this (very hypothetical) ring, you suddenly decrease or maybe even remove the invasion rate entirely, giving it a very practical use.

No, what I CAN compare it to is having Havel's equipped and Ring of Favor equipped, or even just one or the other, and now needing to have the invasion ring equipped. So far so good right? Now you're in an area where you really *really* want to wear a different ring that offers elemental protection. Oh wait, you can't, grats.

Somebody just wanting to grief people actually playing the game though? They have free reign to play how they want, without gimping themselves since they're not really interested in the Dark Souls game itself. Fun all round I say! :p

In terms of equipment, yes this is assuming they're not changing how invasions work, in that it's strictly a soul level thing again. Though this still does nothing about the actual cheaters in the games too. Hell, it took CoD til now to finally have a version of the game that was playable at this state without cheating ruining every lobby you go into. How well do you think this game is going to perform keeping that riff-raff out? :p

Sentenza

And here I was worried this game would get easier

Fuck. YES
we still don't know the first thing about how "easy" or "hard" this game is going to be.
The only thing confirmed by these features is that it's going to be a bit more annoying.

A brilliant part of the invasion system in Dark Souls was that you were always relatively sure that you had your fair chance to go back to the spot you died to recover your souls/humanity.
If now you can be invaded even just after dying, when you are making making your "corpse run", this element of "fairness" is just gone and the game is now open to griefing.

I like everything I'm hearing. I hated having to be human just to get invaded or invade, and the punishment for death actually sounds punishing. It's not like it was that difficult to retrieve your soul remains in any of the prior Souls games. Also with everyone being a target to be invaded, there should be a lot more chances for PvP encounters, which didn't really happen that often when Dark Souls first came out.

semiconscious

Gold Member
hollow invasion is a bad decision...Either equip an item that takes up a valuable ring slot or play offline to prevent it,missing out on valuable messages left by players
I thought they instituted offline phantoms for that very reason.

I am one of those people that don't enjoy invasions on the first playthrough. They are mostly assholes aiming to ruin your game.Really irritating experience for a new player.Its a form of annoyance to me rather than a challenge , really.

I dont want to be infuriated by trolls online.This is not a competitive game.

yeah, i'm not sure why they feel this's a good move. i think it's pretty much perfect as is. this just feels sorta like overkill for 'innovation' sake, & seriously undercuts the solitary, isolated aspect of the experience that many (including myself) enjoyed...

Come on there will be several revisions down the line anyway. A lot of the broken stuff will be phased out like it was in Dark Souls 1.

That being said I don't have a lot of faith in playing online on the PC if VAC isn't good at finding cheaters. Everything is done p2p again in DS2 isn't it? Making it easier to cheat? I'm only guessing.

EDIT: NM just read there's going to be a central server involved. But it looks like only character stats are shared. Pretty sure you can get around it too if it's nothing real time.

The 360 also has a number of save editors going around but it's far less common. And I think it might be even less common on the PS3.

Ruuppa

• Possible to be invaded while hollow.
  • Humanity scrapped, replaced with a single item like Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.
  • Repeated deaths while hollow decrease max HP up to 50%.
  • White phantoms now have a limited duration, may have to leave sooner if they do too much work for the host player.
  • More visible blood stains and messages thanks to being server-based instead of P2P, messages no longer require an item to write.
  • Way of Blue covenant summons a player phantom to help defend if you get invaded.
  • 3 item slots per hand, 10 consumable item slots. UI is much denser and more detailed, less scrolling necessary.
  • Agility stat that increases movement and dodge speed. Existing stats being retooled, such as Dexterity making bleeding/poison more effective.
You'd better get ready to die.

Sounds good, gimme. Making rolling tied to a stat will really help differentiate the builds, since it was always jarring to me to see guys in heavy armor flipping all over the place in DaS1.

Seanspeed

Banned
In DS1 you get invaded by people around the same level as you
Yea, but since it was possible to beat the game with a Lvl 1 character, this meant that you could potentially be invaded by somebody who had gotten a lot farther than you and had much better equipment, making it extremely unfair.

I would hope they've done something to remedy that problem.

we still don't know the first thing about how "easy" or "hard" this game is going to be.
The only thing confirmed by these features is that it's going to be a bit more annoying.

A brilliant part of the invasion system in Dark Souls was that you were always relatively sure that you had your fair chance to go back to the spot you died to recover your souls/humanity.
If now you can be invaded even just after dying, when you are making making your "corpse run", this element of "fairness" is just gone and the game is now open to griefing.
We don't know how its going to work yet.

Arjen

If it's like Dark Souls, you'll have a timer after you get invaded that will give you some invasion free time

kyubajin

Love this comment from Polygon:

I almost think they are making the game too hard. I wouldn’t be surprised if they added a whole level of invisible floors surrounded in mirrors with shadow-shifting enemies that can fly.

Either way, I gladly accept the challenge >:D

Zaventem

Those item slot increases though, I guess it's a good thing - but I have trouble enough juggling 5 in the heat of the battle, 10 is a lot of DOWN presses

Same i think i'll still keep mine at 5-6, It's the more manageable number. Hell sometimes in Dark Souls when i'm invading i don't even keep that much shit on the bar because of the time it takes to get to the item you want.

Sounds good, gimme. Making rolling tied to a stat will really help differentiate the builds, since it was always jarring to me to see guys in heavy armor flipping all over the place in DaS1.

I think you'll still see mid tier armor rolling/heavy tier if people pump enough stuff into the stat. Another thing is wth agility it'll be less points to spare and people are going to have to think through their stat output better rather than shoving all into vit/end/main stat which is awesome.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
They removed it to make it meaningful. The worlds are now persistant and interconnected. There is no hiding, there is no escape.
That makes it exciting.
That makes it interesting.
That gives greater emphasis to covenants and community.
Yeah... No buy.

velociraptor

They've just made this game as hard as possible, haven't they?

I'm not a fun of games which have a frustrating design.

Will buy because I loved DS though.

Zeliard

No, what I CAN compare it to is having Havel's equipped and Ring of Favor equipped, or even just one or the other, and now needing to have the invasion ring equipped. So far so good right? Now you're in an area where you really *really* want to wear a different ring that offers elemental protection. Oh wait, you can't, grats.

Sure you can. You remove the ring you find problematic and lose out on those buffs, in exchange for others. :>

If you're wearing Ring of Favor and Havel's in Dark Souls 1, and you suddenly really need specific elemental protection from a ring, what do you do? You remove Havel's and probably a bunch of heavier, stronger gear along with it, or you remove Ring of Favor and it breaks.

Or what if you're about to fight the Four Kings and you're forced to wear the Covenant of Artorias ring, having up to that point worn two rings that you consider completely necessary? You're faced with a difficult choice.

Somebody just wanting to grief people actually playing the game though? They have free reign to play how they want, without gimping themselves since they're not really interested in the Dark Souls game itself. Fun all round I say! :p

This is why I noted they should ideally balance it in such a way that invaders can be really punished should things not go well for them. By being active instead of reactive, they have an automatic leg up, but that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be ways they could suffer from it.

It's too early to arrive at any final conclusions. I'm theorizing on stuff they may include or how certain things may work, but you can't conclude anything right now. There are still several months till release and information is just too fuzzy. The new invasion system may or may not be a good addition, but I don't think we can state that with certainty yet. What I like so far is death being more punishing and human form something to strive for beyond just looking sexy.

We don't yet know how invasions will work as far as level ranges or potential gear limits, we don't know if there will be certain invasion-free zones, world design in general is still largely a mystery, we barely know what sorts of covenants will be included, we have little idea what items or gear you'll get, etc. All of these things are going to affect each other, and there just isn't enough information out there yet to truly know.

TomPUH

Maybe there'll be a ring that will stop people invading while hollow. Pros? You'll be that little bit safer. Cons? It's a ring slot taken.

Maybe.

I just hope you won't get invaded every two minutes. Invasions are cool, but it's not the focus of the game for me. If it happens every hour or so then that's cool, but I don't want it to turn in to a PVP game.

My only concern at this point.

Through it all, I'll love this game IF it's balanced and it's possible to avoid most deaths without trial and error. I love me some trial and error, but this is definitely not the game for it. So long as I feel like my death is actually my fault and not the fault of a shitty design or imbalanced mechanic, I'm there.

Invasions while hollowed huh. No one is safe. I wonder, they're not gonna make the curse penalty if you get killed by a player are they? I understand if its for PvE, but PvP. Imagine dying 5 times to the same invader. Well, there goes 50% of my hp. -_-

I like how stats affect certain elements now. They are making it more hardcore, not for casuals. The timed duration for summoned phantoms. Can't be carried anymore.

Despera

Banned
Oh, they're making it even harder?

For Souls veterans, this is great news. For newcomers though I'm not so sure. But since I'm not a newcomer I guess I kinda... don't give a shit?

Can't freaking wait!

Zaventem

Invasions while hollowed huh. No one is safe. I wonder, they're not gonna make the curse penalty if you get killed by a player are they? I understand if its for PvE, but PvP. Imagine dying 5 times to the same invader. Well, there goes 50% of my hp. -_-

Well demon's souls had a ring that boosted health while in soul form( when your hp is lowered) maximum 50% minimum 40%

Or they put in a option to disable online features, maybe I'm just asking too much.
Might as well just unplug your ethernet cable/disable wifi instead. Then you are truly safe. Where is the FUN IN THAT!
Well demon's souls had a ring that boosted health while in soul form( when your hp is lowered) maximum 50% minimum 40%
Would rather remain in human form, than to give up a slot for Cling Ring if I can use something else in its place.

Tunin

Shiiiieeeeet, dis is gonna b gud.
Seems to be a mix of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, awesome. Can't wait to play it :D

dosh

I don't know about the whites time limit. I enjoyed playing coop with friends after having beaten the game on my own. This sounds like it will make coop even harder to achieve.

And the hollow invasions won't make the game funny-harder, only more frustrating.

Skab

So more of this

z2ORn.gif

and a little less of this?

tumblr_mb37heNfqC1qjnbtgo1_250.gif

I'm okay with that.

HeelPower

So more of this

z2ORn.gif

and a little less of this?

tumblr_mb37heNfqC1qjnbtgo1_250.gif

I'm okay with that.

I hate this..I don't want to go through this in my first playthrough...really takes you out of the experience..

I don't want to sacrifice a ring slot or player messages to avoid this either.(when going offline)

Sounds like its more geared towards pvp and limiting co-op somewhat. So there is nothing to stop an invader from being invaded either heh.

bigol

I don't know about the whites time limit. I enjoyed playing coop with friends after having beaten the game on my own. This sounds like it will make coop even harder to achieve.

And the hollow invasions won't make the game funny-harder, only more frustrating.

We don't know if there's a specific item to allow to invade someone even when he is hollow
We really don't know anything besides there will be invasions even when hollow,it seems too early to say something negative at this stage

Zeliard

Or they put in a option to disable online features, maybe I'm just asking too much.

Well, their goal seems to be to make online play a much bigger part of the game. Way of Blue covenant is intertwined with the new invasion system, and those two alone will lead to both increased PvP and increased co-op. The covenants in general are very likely to be online-based as they were in DaS1, and I would expect them to be much more robust and meaningful. Summoning phantoms is now expected to be much easier and quicker to do, and you can also now apparently summon two at a time. All of this points to online play being quite a bit more significant.

If you want a truly solo experience - and I completely understand why people would want that - going offline entirely is your best bet.

Zukuu

Banned
We don't know if there's a specific item to allow to invade someone even when he is hollow
We really don't know anything besides there will be invasions even when hollow,it seems too early to say something negative at this stage

It's possible. That's all we need to know.

I'm on the fence about this. Being hallow should have just a different penalty.

They should just re-use Demon Souls system without the need for the cling ring. 50% health when undead should be enough reason to try to be human for the risk of getting invaded. What's the point in DS II to ever be alive? Not a single one unless you've stacked up the dying penalty. It just feels off to be able to invade hallows imo.

You're practically forced to get into the other brotherhood as well, to summon an ally if you don't want to get scumbag-camped later down the line when you're a new player.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
some of these changes actually make me a bit nervous. they better balance the hell out of this game.

Shengar

That happens in Dark Souls as well.

I don't know why people keep saying this. I thought there are level capper that prevent all maxed stats character to invade new character. The dickhieads they usually refer being powerful usually use the box glitch to get strong item early on to grief. I don't think From is THAT stupid to keep the box glitch around.

ParityBit

So I can get invaded, die ... have less HP, and get invaded again, with less HP and die quicker .... and just fall to 50% HP?

There has to be something they are not telling us or I am not understanding.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't know why people keep saying this. I thought there are level capper that prevent all maxed stats character to invade new character. The dickhieads they usually refer being powerful usually use the box glitch to get strong item early on to grief. I don't think From is THAT stupid to keep the box glitch around.

It's true that high-level characters can't invade low-level characters, but beating the game with a level 1 character and getting a bunch of upgraded, end-game gear legit is not that hard once you know your way around the game. That's what they're referring to.

Top Bottom