• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: How Dark Souls II will make life even harder

Seance

Banned
I can't fathom how hard it is to understand that some people may *gasp* not like the idea of PvP in a game like this. The old games gave you a choice to partake or not, the best solution for everyone. They removed a choice from this game because of REASONS.

It kind of makes me wonder if they didn't think they could pump up the difficulty themselves enough from a PvE standpoint. :\

They removed it to make it meaningful. The worlds are now persistant and interconnected. There is no hiding, there is no escape.
That makes it exciting.
That makes it interesting.
That gives greater emphasis to covenants and community.

Not sure if this is a positive development. I'd have to start weighing the positives and negatives of playing this with an internet connection. How much would you lose if you played it offline?

bakedpony

TO those whining about the decreasing health while hollow, just think of human form having a "health boost" and that your decreased health is the normal one.

That's how I approached it in Demon's.

Meia

It actually makes covenants for players that don't want to be invaded less of a choice in that you have to be in the one that prevents/limits it. This causes you to miss other things covenants can offer, weakening the system overall.

Dark Souls you had one that's only real benefit was lowering chance of invasion. Because this was only really felt in human form, you were kind of free to be in whatever covenant you wanted to for whatever reason you wanted to. Now you don't have that option. This makes the overall system "better"?

In a perfect world where they can prevent cheating period, this wouldn't be as bad. We all know they can't. So again, explain why this is a good thing.

ace3skoot

OP worries me there going back to Demon Souls territory...I sure hope not, i fucking loved Dark Souls even though it took me 3 attempts to finally "get it" and finish it, I still have never beaten demon souls, health dropping to 50% is just ballocks and really the death penalty aspect of losing your consumables etc. would serious make me consider not bothering, hoprfully its not as bad as i am thinking as i was fuckin g hyped for this game :(

Ashler

All of this sounds... FREAKING AMAZING!

Just give it to me already.. I need this game!!!

OP worries me there going back to Demon Souls territory...I sure hope not, i fucking loved Dark Souls even though it took me 3 attempts to finally "get it" and finish it, I still have never beaten demon souls, health dropping to 50% is just ballocks and really the death penalty aspect of losing your consumables etc. would serious make me consider not bothering, hoprfully its not as bad as i am thinking as i was fuckin g hyped for this game :(

There's a ring for that HP drop (In Demon's Souls).

IrishNinja

50% health sounds like dead mode (most of the demons/dark experience anyway), never safe from invasion sounds great unless early pre-nerfed pyros have their way with me again (;_;)

agility is the new dex for us dex builds, good to know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGvXh_pEWs

ENB talks about his 20min pre-TGS gameplay session:
- You start as human and loose maxhp when dead
- You can get invaded even in human form. Covenant can help aliviate this
- Parrying differences
- Stats differences (e.g. attun increases cast speed)
- Deeper Covenant interaction
- maybe dodge will be affected by dex.
- more aggressive enemies
- landing the parry makes the enemy fall back
- MOAR hardcore

I never really liked the Humanity system, glad that they're going back to the way they handled it in Demon's. Hopefully they keep the Estus system, it was superior to carrying around 99 Grass/Spice.

Other changes sound good, remember that you can always just play offline if you're worried about being invaded.

HeelPower

hollow invasion is a bad decision...Either equip an item that takes up a valuable ring slot or play offline to prevent it,missing out on valuable messages left by players
I thought they instituted offline phantoms for that very reason.

I am one of those people that don't enjoy invasions on the first playthrough. They are mostly assholes aiming to ruin your game.Really irritating experience for a new player.Its a form of annoyance to me rather than a challenge , really.

I dont want to be infuriated by trolls online.This is not a competitive game.

This sounds freaking amazing. If this stuff work then you'll probably be scared the entire time you're playing it, even on later playthroughs.

I want that feeling of being afraid to even play a game back. This will deliver.

Seanspeed

Banned
Cool. Hopefully its a Covenant you can access fairly early, for people who really cant stomach invasions.

For me, I'm going to wait to see how its all balanced. It seems like they're keeping in mind experience now, which should hopefully make invasions a bit more fair if they balance it on something like win/loss records and not just level.

Ashler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGvXh_pEWs

ENB talks about his 20min pre-TGS gameplay session:
- You start as human and loose maxhp when dead
- Parrying differences
- Stats differences (e.g. attun increases cast speed)
- Deeper Covenant interaction
- maybe dodge will be affected by dex.
- more aggressive enemies
- landing the parry makes the enemy fall back
- MOAR hardcore

Thanks for that, didn't notice ENB had an update!

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I always interpreted invasions in Dark Souls is justified from the point of the games story, only players who finished and understood the game know it.

That "The cake is a lie" and invaders are actually guardians. Protecting the ambitious and unknowing, against being manipulated.

Edit: I wonder how I will interpret invasions in Dark Souls 2.

Maddrical

It's so hard to avoid all the gameplay videos but I think a game like this is going to reward me greatly for it. Or kill me, either way.

Incoming crow buffet for everyone who predicted a casual game and the death of the series when the sequel was announced!

It's a pretty hefty, detailed article, so here's the rundown:
  • [*]Possible to be invaded while hollow.
    [*]Humanity scrapped, replaced with a single item like Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.
    [*]Repeated deaths while hollow decrease max HP up to 50%.
  • White phantoms now have a limited duration, may have to leave sooner if they do too much work for the host player.
  • More visible blood stains and messages thanks to being server-based instead of P2P, messages no longer require an item to write.
  • Way of Blue covenant summons a player phantom to help defend if you get invaded.
  • 3 item slots per hand, 10 consumable item slots. UI is much denser and more detailed, less scrolling necessary.
    [*]Agility stat that increases movement and dodge speed. Existing stats being retooled, such as Dexterity making bleeding/poison more effective.
You'd better get ready to die.

Awwwwwww yisssss. Glad they are taking some pages out of Demons Souls.

Arjen

I always interpreted invasions in Dark Souls is justified from the point of the games story, only players who finished and understood the game know it.

That "The cake is a lie" and invaders are actually guardians. Protecting the ambitious and unknowing, against being manipulated.

Edit: I wonder how I will interpret invasions in Dark Souls 2.

Interesting, i wonder if kaathe and the other serpents will still play a role, or if you have another covenant for invasions.

Zeliard

And no, saying "I bet you can wear an item/use a covenant" isn't exactly a good thing either. Handicapping yourself in any fashion to get by a bad design decision is not something to proclaim as "good."

It actually makes covenants for players that don't want to be invaded less of a choice in that you have to be in the one that prevents/limits it. This causes you to miss other things covenants can offer, weakening the system overall.

Dark Souls you had one that's only real benefit was lowering chance of invasion. Because this was only really felt in human form, you were kind of free to be in whatever covenant you wanted to for whatever reason you wanted to. Now you don't have that option. This makes the overall system "better"?

It may well make the overall system more meaningful as covenants can have more of a true impact, as opposed to Dark Souls' half-baked system. Way of Blue was added specifically to work alongside the danger of being invaded at any point, making both that covenant and whichever one you pick to be summoned as a Blue Sentinel have great significance.

If you consider actual choice and consequence to be "handicapping yourself," then we just gravely disagree on the concept. If invasions bother you that much, then make the choice to pick an anti-invasion covenant. That's what it's there for, and there's going to be a similar give-and-take for every choice you make in the game.

You hate being invaded? Maybe there's a non-invasion ring, and you'd be making the choice to wear it in the same way people who wanted to engage in covenant-based PvP would use up a ring slot for the Cat Covenant Ring or the Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring. This is just another gear choice you are making. If you don't want to use the potential anti-invasion mechanics at your disposal, then you can brave the danger and reap other rewards.

These covenants can potentially be highly practical and communal. If it's like Dark Souls, covenants will largely be online-based anyway, every covenant will come with its own benefits that you get at the expense of others, and you can ultimately choose which one best suits your needs.

Dying should carry strict penalties. Being in undead form should be a completely non-ideal state, to the extent that playing as human should be a burning desire and one of your foremost priorities in the game. It never made sense to me otherwise. The devs can do this by buffing human mode, which they still may, or by giving undead mode some serious drawbacks.

Much of this is still guesswork as we have little context for any of it. We know small tidbits but we need the full picture - specifics of the invasion system, item lists, covenant lists, etc - before we can really draw any true conclusions as to how effective or non-effective the new system will be. So far, it sounds fine to me.

Meia

It may well make the overall system more meaningful as covenants can have more of a true impact, as opposed to Dark Souls' half-baked system. Way of Blue was added specifically to work alongside the danger of being invaded at any point, making both that covenant and whichever one you pick to be summoned as a Blue Sentinel have great significance.

If you consider actual choice and consequence to be "handicapping yourself," then we just gravely disagree on the concept. If invasions bother you that much, then make the choice to pick an anti-invasion covenant. That's what it's there for, and there's going to be a similar give-and-take for every choice you make in the game.

You hate being invaded? Maybe there's a non-invasion ring, and you'd be making the choice to wear it in the same way people who wanted to engage in covenant-based PvP would use up a ring slot for the Cat Covenant Ring or the Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring. This is just another gear choice you are making. If you don't want to use the potential anti-invasion mechanics at your disposal, then you can brave the danger and reap other rewards.

These covenants can potentially be highly practical and communal. If it's like Dark Souls, covenants will largely be online-based anyway, every covenant will come with its own benefits that you get at the expense of others, and you can ultimately choose which one best suits your needs.

Dying should carry strict penalties. Being in undead form should be a completely non-ideal state, to the extent that playing as human should be a burning desire and one of your foremost priorities in the game. It never made sense to me otherwise. The devs can do this by buffing human mode, which they still may, or by giving undead mode some serious drawbacks.

Much of this is still guesswork as we have little context for any of it. We know small tidbits but we need the full picture - specifics of the invasion system, item lists, covenant lists, etc - before we can really draw any true conclusions as to how effective or non-effective the new system will be. So far, it sounds fine to me.

Forcing you to give up something to have the game play like it used to isn't the advancement in the series some are making it up to be.

You can wear a ring to avoid getting invaded, thus making the PvE side harder. The problem with your line of thinking the other way in having to wear a ring to invade someone else is you're probably not actively, you know, playing the GAME while wearing it, just kind of standing around waiting for it to go off. At least if you're the type of player to save hack or have an end-game weapon at soul level 1 that's what you're most likely doing.

Again, handicapping yourself to go back to a status quo doesn't strike me as a grand game design decision here. It strikes me as both incredibly heavy handed, and a cheap way of increasing the PvE difficulty, which makes me more worry about the state of the actual game itself.

Was this really the only way they could have increased the importance of Covenants? How about actually rewarding things past +2? How about integrating which one you side with into the story somehow? How about more meaningful NPCs based on which you belong to? There's many ways, this strikes me as an easy out, something we shouldn't be lauding.

Stimpack

I'm not going to judge Dark Souls II before I've had a chance to honestly see anything about it, but I will say that in my experience about 70% of PVP players that I've come across are "LOL IM TBAGGING YOU BRO" types. I have no desire to interact on any level with these people. I typically play games to get away from these people. Adding the fact that so far the Souls series has been incredibly unbalanced (in some ways, broken) and I have even less interest in participating in PVP. It's not a fear, it's an annoyance. To the people recommending offline play, that's incredibly short-sighted. There are still plenty of online features that don't necessarily play a part in PVP.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on it. As others have said, there will likely be ways around PVP, or hopefully it will be balanced and enjoyable. There's really no chance in hell I'm missing Dark Souls II, and I'll be playing it online come hell or high water.

IrishNinja

while i respect that those so inclined can take the game offline, the series is for me, a peak of risk/reward that you rarely get to see (especially on such a level) in console gaming today, so even when i get fucked up, it's hard to not appreciate the constant danger of invasion, and likewise, assistance....lookit the bizarre and interesting mess that Ultima Online was in the day: the existence of PK'ers to such an extent created antiPK'ers. MMO wise, i understand it was quite the unique experience...i cant begrudge them for further fostering this kinda thing here.

Seanspeed

Banned
Forcing you to give up something to have the game play like it used to isn't the advancement in the series some are making it up to be.

You can wear a ring to avoid getting invaded, thus making the PvE side harder. The problem with your line of thinking the other way in having to wear a ring to invade someone else is you're probably not actively, you know, playing the GAME while wearing it, just kind of standing around waiting for it to go off. At least if you're the type of player to save hack or have an end-game weapon at soul level 1 that's what you're most likely doing.

Again, handicapping yourself to go back to a status quo doesn't strike me as a grand game design decision here. It strikes me as both incredibly heavy handed, and a cheap way of increasing the PvE difficulty, which makes me more worry about the state of the actual game itself.

Was this really the only way they could have increased the importance of Covenants? How about actually rewarding things past +2? How about integrating which one you side with into the story somehow? How about more meaningful NPCs based on which you belong to? There's many ways, this strikes me as an easy out, something we shouldn't be lauding.
The point is kinda that they don't WANT things to be like they used to. But they still might allow for that, if you choose to take a penalty for it.

Really, we don't know its all going to work out yet. Wouldn't judge too much at this point.

Zeliard

Default "status quo" for every online player in Dark Souls 2 will be to risk being invaded both as human or undead, which carries its own consequences. If you're in a covenant or sporting an item that does not allow for that, you aren't at status quo - you are advantaged in a specific way relative to those other players, who will have to concern themselves with invasions as you traipse along with that concern minimized or removed. If you are playing offline, you can't be invaded, but then you also lose out on every opportunity that online play gives you. And that is also not status quo.

We are looking at a singular new element in the covenant system, which is that Way of Blue was added to help against invasions. We don't know how other covenants were potentially modified to make them work well this time around.

The reason I like Way of Blue is because it shows From aren't changing the invasion system without making other additions as needed. Way of Blue clearly works in tandem with the new danger of invasions and the notion that being undead is a bad idea; it would be completely useless with the way Dark Souls worked. This is why it seems likely that there will be even more ways to repel invasions, and you'll just have to use those if you don't want that danger lurking.

Meia

The point is kinda that they don't WANT things to be like they used to. But they still might allow for that, if you choose to take a penalty for it.

Really, we don't know its all going to work out yet. Wouldn't judge too much at this point.

Yeah, I'm not burning a pre-order receipt or anything over it knowing how much I love the series, just don't think this is a positive move going forward...

I'm not going to judge Dark Souls II before I've had a chance to honestly see anything about it, but I will say that in my experience about 70% of PVP players that I've come across are "LOL IM TBAGGING YOU BRO" types. I have no desire to interact on any level with these people. I typically play games to get away from these people. Adding the fact that so far the Souls series has been incredibly unbalanced (in some ways, broken) and I have even less interest in participating in PVP. It's not a fear, it's an annoyance. To the people recommending offline play, that's incredibly short-sighted. There are still plenty of online features that don't necessarily play a part in PVP.

...for very much this reason.

But yeah, as you say both ways make PvE harder. You either use a piece of equipment that you won't have to prevent an invasion from happening, or you deal with an invasion while you're fully "buffed", as it were. Which will be the greater detriment? That we'll just have to see. I do remember how important something like Havel's Ring was in Dark though. In any case, PvE is harder with this change, which again makes me worry the main PvE aspect itself won't be hard enough, so they had to do this to artificially create difficulty.

Still don't exactly find it fun that some "people" find it fun to take a cheated or uber leveled toon, one shot people new to the game, and then teabag their corpse. Good for you if you can actually deal with that, I'd rather not, and it's not what this series has been about(for me). Just marks a kind of depressing direction for me.

Durante

I'm a bit annoyed at the white phantom time limit, since I will be playing the game in coop and it just seems to introduce some busywork of resummoning. On the other hand, considering that the client/server system should make the initial summoning of a specific player take a minute or two on average rather than 15 I'll probably still save time overall.

Raide

I'm a bit annoyed at the white phantom time limit, since I will be playing the game in coop and it just seems to introduce some busywork of resummoning. On the other hand, considering that the client/server system should make the initial summoning of a specific player take a minute or two on average rather than 15 I'll probably still save time overall.

Hopefully they flesh out the Covenant stuff and make ti easier to summon from certain Covenants. Covenant of Blue sounds about right. Need some kind of friend stone that you give a player and they can pick you out to summon.

Vasili2K38

Good news, the game seems a proper sequel to DeS/DS and the best news is the new online architecture, is sad that the amazing online systems of both games a lot of time doesn't work because of the connection problems.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, I'm not burning a pre-order receipt or anything over it knowing how much I love the series, just don't think this is a positive move going forward...

...for very much this reason.

But yeah, as you say both ways make PvE harder. You either use a piece of equipment that you won't have to prevent an invasion from happening, or you deal with an invasion while you're fully "buffed", as it were. Which will be the greater detriment? That we'll just have to see. I do remember how important something like Havel's Ring was in Dark though. In any case, PvE is harder with this change, which again makes me worry the main PvE aspect itself won't be hard enough, so they had to do this to artificially create difficulty.

Still don't exactly find it fun that some "people" find it fun to take a cheated or uber leveled toon, one shot people new to the game, and then teabag their corpse. Good for you if you can actually deal with that, I'd rather not, and it's not what this series has been about(for me). Just marks a kind of depressing direction for me.
You're assuming way too much.

So wait a second, you could start a fresh game and killed instantly by some dickhead who has already played hunderds of hours of the game, that's some bullshit.

Zertez

Im ready for this game to come out now. It is the perfect game to send the PS3 out. I just hope they port it to the PS4 or find a way to emulate it on the PS4. Im sure I will be playing this game for a 2 or 3 years just like Demons/Dark Souls and it would be nice to play without having to switch back to the PS3. I dont care if it gets upgraded or not, I just want to be able to play the game on the PS4 somehow.

Arjen

"This game is going to cater to casuals and will be way to easy!"
"Invasions while hollow? Dealbreaker!"

Fucking lol.

Rey

Everything sounds like music to my ears.
It was a lot of fun to go through an area with a coop friend and finish the area together.. I hope the time limit thing isn't going to ruin that.

Everythings else... OH MY GAWDDD!! CAN NOT WAIT!

Can people stop freaking out till we know more about invasions? Seriously, its the difficulty situation all over again.

And FWIW even if its as bad as you think it is, play offline. Jeez.

bigol

And people tried so hard to spot some casual elements in DSII gameplay
No,Dark Souls II will be even more difficult and i like it

Being invaded while hollow is great,people that find that annoying play in offline mode,problem solved

• Possible to be invaded while hollow.
  • Humanity scrapped, replaced with a single item like Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.
  • Repeated deaths while hollow decrease max HP up to 50%.
  • White phantoms now have a limited duration, may have to leave sooner if they do too much work for the host player.
  • More visible blood stains and messages thanks to being server-based instead of P2P, messages no longer require an item to write.
  • Way of Blue covenant summons a player phantom to help defend if you get invaded.
  • 3 item slots per hand, 10 consumable item slots. UI is much denser and more detailed, less scrolling necessary.
  • Agility stat that increases movement and dodge speed. Existing stats being retooled, such as Dexterity making bleeding/poison more effective.
These all sound great, lol.

The last couple interest me, an agility stat and dex pumping up status effects is interesting new stuff.

Those item slot increases though, I guess it's a good thing - but I have trouble enough juggling 5 in the heat of the battle, 10 is a lot of DOWN presses when you're about to get toxic'ed and you're searching for some blooming moss before the other guy backstabs you! UI improvements are music to my ears, this one thing will improve my life tenfold!

I'm a bit annoyed at the white phantom time limit, since I will be playing the game in coop and it just seems to introduce some busywork of resummoning.
Yeah this might be the only one I was iffy about. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on all of these till we learn more. It seems like there are rules about the phantoms doing too much, which is a good thing imo. Sometimes you get summoned and there's some other white phantom in end game gear just one-shotting everything way ahead of the Drake sword weilding, fat-rolling host and I just shake my head.

Zeliard

You have the example of rings so useful and/or problematic to remove in Dark Souls 1 that some players left them there almost permanently. A lot of people liked the Ring of Favor and Protection, and that ring broke when you took it off, and you could only get two in a normal playthrough if you didn't screw things up. With that ring on you're suddenly limited to one ring slot, but what do you use it on? That can change based on circumstance. You're given decent buffs at the expense of more limited options.

Now imagine an anti-invasion ring in Dark Souls 2. You can't compare it to Dark Souls 1, where wearing an anti-invasion ring would be dumb since you could just go hollow (and that's also why Way of White was basically worthless). With this (very hypothetical) ring, you suddenly decrease or maybe even remove the invasion rate entirely, giving it a very practical use.

It means you miss out on a potential buff from another ring in that slot, yes, but that buff is going to other players who have to deal with invaders. All of this goes for the concept of covenants as well. And as mentioned earlier, playing offline has its own drawbacks, including missing out on likely access to a number of covenants, co-op help, etc. There's always going to be a give-and-take. I don't consider any of this stuff to be a handicap, band-aid fix, etc, because every player has to make their own sacrifices in getting through the game.

Well I think those people are pretty dickish too. :) I spent my online time in Demon's/Dark Souls helping people out.

I do think one thing they should do with Way of Blue is have it draw from a higher level pool than you/your invader. This would make it more likely (though not certain) that the Blue Sentinel summoned is better-equipped - which could potentially go some way towards off-setting low-level gankers if they are again a problem - and it would make it riskier in general for players to invade.

Ideally, the increased risk to regular players in being invaded should be matched by a greater danger for the invader as well. Way of Blue seems to go some way towards doing that - looking to be a consolidated version of Darkmoon Covenant/Book of the Guilty - but it remains to be seen if there's more.

Durante

Those item slot increases though, I guess it's a good thing - but I have trouble enough juggling 5 in the heat of the battle, 10 is a lot of DOWN presses when you're about to get toxic'ed and you're searching for some blooming moss before the other guy backstabs you! UI improvements are music to my ears, this one thing will improve my life tenfold!
Maybe they mean it about improved PC support, and it's 10 item slots because there's real kb/mouse controls support and we can map them to the number keys. Yeah, right.

Top Bottom