• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Mario Kart 8 likely to be the worst-selling game in... what is that chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

eh I tried.
CalculatingMarvelousImperialeagle.gif
Yesyesyes.gif

Jopie

Don't want to quote the gif again, but that is freaking amazing. A worthy addition to any thread about Polygon.

Authority

Banned
How the fuck a game news website goes from this gem - Street Fighter 2: An oral history to this shit only the person behind running Polygon knows.

And it is not a coincidence. I refuse to believe that the current state of Polygon including sensationalist articles such as
Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
are not intentionally driven to the extend of purposly creating an agenda through propaganda. This shit is disgusting and uncalled it. It is not funny anymore. Any Polygon contributer with any human dignity left should explain to us what the fuck is going on.

And that includes the recent trend of amateur reviews that revolve around the argument(s) of "too much swearing" and other immature, unprofessional breakdowns. That is not normal and I refuse to believe that the journalists behind it do not recognize the shortfallings in those practices. And like others have stated the ratio of good articles are one to three with occasionally one to four and one to five. They can hide all day long behind the "opinion" argument and try to defend mediocre representations of various argumenet through their comment sections; which for the past month has been mainly questionable and negative, but that will eventually run out. Same thing applies to this article as well.

Fact is their quality has been dropping down for a while and they are aware of it. It is not a drop-of-quality that you can go on it right now and see it for your self - it usually comes in small doses with big headlines that beg for controversy - not even asking for it. I am getting increasingly suspicious.

breakfuss

How the fuck a game news website goes from this gem - Street Fighter 2: An oral history to this shit only the person behind running Polygon knows.

And it is not a coincidence. I refuse to believe that the current state of Polygon including sensationalist articles such as
Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
are not intentionally driven to the extend of purposly creating an agenda through propaganda. This shit is disgusting and uncalled it. It is not funny anymore. Any Polygon contributer with any human dignity left should explain to us what the fuck is going on.

And that includes the recent trend of amateur reviews that revolve around the argument(s) of "too much swearing" and other immature, unprofessional breakdowns. That is not normal and I refuse to believe that the journalists behind it do not recognize the shortfallings in those practices. And like others have stated the ratio of good articles are one to three with occasionally one to four and one to five. They can hide all day long behind the "opinion" argument and try to defend mediocre representations of various argumenet through their comment sections; which for the past month has been mainly questionable and negative, but that will eventually run out. Same thing applies to this article as well.

Fact is their quality has been dropping down for a while and they are aware of it. It is not a drop-of-quality that you can go on it right now and see it for your self - it usually comes in small doses with big headlines that beg for controversy - not even asking for it. I am getting increasingly suspicious.

Not refuting your point about their consistency. That's debatable. But the "White male privilege" piece probably isn't the best example. It's excellent, and again, something that sets them a part in a good way. You won't see that kind of discourse taking place on other sites, and I think the gaming community is better for it.

border

I think it's just an effect of running a site with a paid staff. You have to run clickbait articles (or links) alongside legitimate content. Everybody loves GiantBomb, but even there if you scroll down on any story there's still a bunch of clickbait articles "From Around The Web". Polygon just generates their clickbait in house, rather than linking to BuzzFeed lists.

Zero315

Banned
I think it's just an effect of running a site with a paid staff. You have to run clickbait articles (or links) alongside legitimate content. Everybody loves GiantBomb, but even there if you scroll down on any story there's still a bunch of clickbait articles "From Around The Web". Polygon just generates their clickbait in house, rather than linking to BuzzFeed lists.

What? No, they don't.

Fake edit: I had to log out to see what you are talking about and those are just straight up ads. They have nothing to do with GB editorial content and do not show up in the main feed.

SegaShack

I dunno.. I've been in the press for a looooong time.

During the halcyon days of old, we had people at Game Players actively disparaging handhelds, we had an ESRB that was negligent at best, there was a lot of "system wars" terribleness mixed into the pages and letters. Companies encourage this kind of eye rolling bad though. A quick check of the recent keynote at WWDC shows a lot of "system wars" rhetoric still alive and well. We all used to quote NPD TRSTS stats like they were gospel, a 40 in Famitsu meant a game was beyond criticism, and we got a lot of our foreign news from sites like The Magic Box.. which was on GEOCITIES for crying out loud. >_<

But the media was a lot more close knit back then. I remember bitter arguments with Bill from Game Players over where the market was heading. I said that the Game Boy was going to get a second wind and be huge once Pocket Monsters came out in the USA and that we'd be playing games on our phones in less than a decade. Somewhere, he owes me a soda. Hell, even up into the 2000 era.. it was pretty bad. GameCube was announced and the first thing that Adam Sessler asks Peter Main about it is "How will it compete with the XBOX?" and then follows it up with a question where he proceeds to get the name of the system wrong multiple times. Also, there were people complaining about the lack of 1080p console games back in 2000. Yeah. It doesn't really change too much. Of course, I'm not above that at all. I've made my share of "PoS2" remarks and so forth. I think my favorite terrible move was when I got dragged onto the stage at Nokia's booth to say something nice about the N*Gage. My reply was "It's an interesting phone and mobile games are the future. Maybe not in this shape, but I would certainly say that it's a nice companion system for your Game Boy Color. Mobile games are an emerging market. You're looking at the future. It still needs a little bit of work, but that's why we need to support it."

Yeah. I'm kind of awful. :-/

Very great and insightful post and I really do appreciate it. However I think that while their still was the fanboy stuff as well as some inaccuracies, the quality of each article then was always much better due to not having the same demand as today. Things were to the point. Since there wasn't this huge overflow of tons and tons of websites rehashing the same information it was a lot different and more special.

Hilarious about the N Gage thing, man that was a strange device. What companies/magazines did you work for?

LQX

Considering how terrible the Wii U has been selling I don't see how anyone can really jump on them for assuming the Wii U version of MK8 might sell the worse. Shit they were wrong but many of you would be lying your asses off if you were to say would be shocked it did not sell as well as others.

Riki

Considering how terrible the Wii U has been selling I don't see how anyone can really jump on them for assuming the Wii U version of MK8 might sell the worse. Shit they were wrong but many of you would be lying your asses off if you were to say would be shocked it did not sell as well as others.
That isn't the point though....

Armaros

Good job on reading any part of the thread.

Aaron

Giant Bomb isn't actively paying people to produce shit articles. Not remotely the same thing.

stilgar

Read the thread, it´s not the point.

madmackem

Because polygon is a meme i use alot with friends. Not a fan of there site or some of the people that work there, given some of them that work there then you know why articles like this one pop up.

SystemUser

There was another thread here where people explained why Mario Kart will out sell Titanfall. Mario Kart has legs like centipedial stork on stilts. Nintendo is not going to pull the plug on the Wii U like Sega did with the Dreamcast. Sega had so much debt that they almost filed for bankruptcy. Nintendo is profitable, but they are not hitting Wii/DS era numbers.

Earendil

I don't think Polygon should be banned. How else are we going to laugh at them?

On a serious note, perhaps there could be a popup confirmation that shows when clicking a link to a Polygon article that says: "This site has been known to post clickbait articles in the past. Are you sure you want to continue?" Or something appended to the end of the OP saying any article from this site should be taken with a grain of salt.

...so you would have rather they pretended they never put the chart up in the first place? If anything, I have even more respect for them for keeping it up even after being shown they were wrong.

I hope not. :( They're legitimately one of my favorite sites. I really do fail to see what GAF sees in them. Their long form articles are fantastic, their reviews are really well done, etc. I like them much, much more than Giantbomb and other sites y'all seem to like.

Not pretend but admit their mistake. Covering up a mistake with more mistakes is a moronic move. I have no respect AT ALL for someone passing off junk statistics and neither should you. I have seen plenty of that in my career and have 0 tolerance.

zroid

Banned
It gets a bit more facepalm worthy. An editor of NintendoLife called him out on Twitter about it and he decided to state that he's not arguing with someone who edits a console-specific website.

hahahAHAHAHAHAHA

edit: I saw the tweets... what an ass

Ivieto

Banned

Honestly Polygon is one of my favorite sites right now, and I really like most of their work. I think their core reviews team of Arthur, Danielle and Phil to be top notch. I also really like the opinion pieces and videos by Plante and Frushtick. I believe the features team of Collin Campbell, Russ Pitts and Matt Leone to be the best at what they do. I have no opinion on the news team, I don't really go to Polygon for news.

But Kuchera's semi-daily blog posts? My god that is utter shit and completely worthless. For me that person almost brings down the quality of the rest of the site, it is just vapid and adds nothing.

Did Ben Kuchera really just non-ironically say "don't argue a point when someone has a financial interest in not being persuaded"?

Like, completely without a trace of self-awareness?

Oersted

Requoting

I don't think the actual premise ("MK8 will be most likely be the lowest selling in the series") was ever considered controversial or the main absurdity in the article. It was that they used some incredibly suspect and slapdash attempts at projecting lifetime sales for MK8, attempting to blindly slap the average attach rate onto the Wii U without considering what affects attach rate, and producing some laughable graphs like the infamous pie chart in an attempt to look "scientific." Hence, MK8 selling roughly the same amount in a single weekend as Polygon's expert analysis assumed it would sell in nearly a year.

Well, that and "Wii U game will probably sell the worst in the series" isn't that interesting of a premise for an article, all things considered.

Armaros

"I will only argue with you in a setting where we control everything and can manipulate or delete your comments at will"

"I don't argue with people from console-specific websites cause, bias" -Said person working for website started directly with Microsoft Money.

That last twitter exchange still has my head spinning..I can't even begin to understand how someone can be that way.

And its not an isolated incident with Kuch. And its not entirely surprising that Monsieur Dent feels the need to don the cape and back him up.

Fascinating...truly.

... What.

I can't believe Kuchera would make an article just to publicize his opinion that he wants to Nintendo to fail so they can go third-party. Hell, it's basically trying to encourage people to help it happen, "if they go, your wildest gaming dreams will come true!". Yeesh, if someone's "dream" is to play Nintendo games they can already do that.

This is certainly a man that does not care about being taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom