• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Mario Kart 8 likely to be the worst-selling game in... what is that chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAHAHA

For those who don't want to give Polygon the clicks, basically he's saying that Nintendo is more likely than ever to go multiplatform, and what he'd specifically like to see is...

... I shit you not...

SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2, and 3D World all remastered in HD, and packaged on a single disc for 360, XBox 1, PS3, PS4 and put on Steam!

Seriously... that's literally what he proposes!

This sort of move interests me much more than the constant claim that Nintendo needs to move to mobile and casual gaming; Nintendo games deserve buttons. Having all the best Mario games available on modern hardware, in high definition, easily playable by anyone who doesn't want to have to track down old systems? This would be the best thing possible for fans of the series, and possibly even Nintendo as a company.

XD

Ennoia

Banned
I am not surprised at all for this. Polygon have tried so hard to be the Fox News of gaming journalism, and here they are, political correctness level max mixed so many click baits.

On the positive side, now I know what a Graphics Horse does, and it's glorious.

I can't blame Polygon too harshly, it's a hard world out there and businesses probably feel the pressure to stay relevant. Kicking on the unpopular kids(Wii U) to seem popular is a classic HS strategy is it not?

LiamR

Does this newest article not warrant its own thread or are we not going to bother?

I don't know how this guy remains employed. He brings the discussion to Twitter and then turns around and says "comment on the article if you want to be a part of the discussion".

Riki

Does this newest article not warrant its own thread or are we not going to bother?

I don't know how this guy remains employed. He brings the discussion to Twitter and then turns around and says "comment on the article if you want to be a part of the discussion".
Already made and locked. Hopefully the same happens to Polygon as a whole.

sörine

Banned
So because MK8 had the second best debut in the series history Nintendo's more likely than ever to make PlayStation and Xbox games? Is that the gist of it?

icespide

Banned
hbE3cXS.png

Nerokis

... Okay, yeah, this is pretty bad. The core point is perfectly fine, but the entire article is so poorly written, so poorly conceived, it's seriously jarring to read. I actually think positively enough of Polygon that I don't expect to find articles there that read like someone is being forced to write about video games for a fledgling media and culture site or something.

Funnily enough, the last time I had this "wow, that was jarring to read" feeling was after I reread Ben Kuchera's classic piece on the X1 and Sony.

HAHAHA

For those who don't want to give Polygon the clicks, basically he's saying that Nintendo is more likely than ever to go multiplatform, and what he'd specifically like to see is...

... I shit you not...

SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2, and 3D World all remastered in HD, and packaged on a single disc for 360, XBox 1, PS3, PS4 and put on Steam!

XD

Well, I hope Nintendo goes 3rd party so I don't have to buy an extra console only for their exclusives.
I'd rather see Nintendo making games for Ps4 and XboxOne than some QOL stuff or smartphone games.

Sadist

.... wow, somebody must be extremely bitter.

jOJvRVHMKGLB0.png

I don't visit Polygon that much (after that 750k thing provided by MS I'm not that interested anyway) but man, this is some horrible fluff I'm reading here. It's a terrible dream Kuchera. My dream is to never own a Xbox and I can do without PlayStation honestly. My dream is choice. Not some concern trolling article. Luckily the mods closed down the other thread.

Kerda

I don't regularly read Polygon, but have they ever posted an article about Microsoft being "desperate" to sell the Xbox One, what with their having abandoned pretty much every core, defining concept of the system within the first 8 months of release?

Why is it chic nowadays for all of the "serious" gaming "journalists" to shit on Nintendo? There's no question the company is in a rough patch, but I really think there's a component of Big N's "games for the sake of games" approach to design that just fundamentally irks a certain contingent of the gaming press that sees itself as high-minded and progressive. Here you have this old-guard company putting out a string of very, very good games that have no epic narratives, no trenchant social commentary, absolutely no airs of import, and it drives these guys crazy. They're frothing at the mouth desperate for games to become "legitimized" in the eyes of...somebody/thing they deem to be a barometer of taste and sophistication, and they hate that they can't just write off these bright, breezy games about cartoon plumbers and kidnapped princesses.

I think that's why there's so much pressure from media figures for Nintendo to go 3rd party. If Mario games are just another PS4 franchise, something that can be comfortably slotted behind the "serious" Rockstar and Naughty Dog output, it makes them easier to minimize and dismiss. Nintendo staying in the hardware biz gives their brand of game a platform and degree of relevance that's harder to shuffle into the closet when the "grown ups" come over.

I love that his article is based entirely on personal, short-sighted wish-fulfillment and he defends his shitty Just make HD collections and put them EVERYWHERE suggestion with It's just a suggestion for Nintendo to "inject revenue." Stop using what you believe to be financial jargon to try and add validity to your shitty click bait article.

The perfect metaphor for Polygon - a lot of pretty words and pictures, without the quality or content.

Well, I hope Nintendo goes 3rd party so I don't have to buy an extra console only for their exclusives.
I'd rather see Nintendo making games for Ps4 and XboxOne than some QOL stuff or smartphone games.

Well... that's kind of the dead-end of port begging. You could just as easily say "I wish Microsoft would bow out and go multiplat so I could play Gears and Halo on PS4", or Gran Turismo on iPad, or whatever. What's the point? I personally have a Wii U but don't yet have either of the other two, so I could just as easily lament the lack of 1st party Sony and Microsoft, I guess.

But that's not how first party games work. If you want to play 1st party Sony software, you buy a Playstation. If you want to play Nintendo games, you buy a Nintendo.

Dalek

Polygon (or at least Kuchera) articles should just not be posted here anymore. Like a very strict taboo if not anything official

Out of curiousity what is be official "justification" for a site ban here? Haven't polygon flaunted it enough for it to happen now? There's literally blatant personal bias on display with no shame.

I don't regularly read Polygon, but have they ever posted an article about Microsoft being "desperate" to sell the Xbox One, what with their having abandoned pretty much every core, defining concept of the system within the first 8 months of release?

Why is it chic nowadays for all of the "serious" gaming "journalists" to shit on Nintendo? There's no question the company is in a rough patch, but I really think there's a component of Big N's "games for the sake of games" approach to design that just fundamentally irks a certain contingent of the gaming press that sees itself as high-minded and progressive. Here you have this old-guard company putting out a string of very, very good games that have no epic narratives, no trenchant social commentary, absolutely no airs of import, and it drives these guys crazy. They're frothing at the mouth desperate for games to become "legitimized" in the eyes of...somebody/thing they deem to be a barometer of taste and sophistication, and they hate that they can't just write off these bright, breezy games about cartoon plumbers and kidnapped princesses.

I think that's why there's so much pressure from media figures for Nintendo to go 3rd party. If Mario games are just another PS4 franchise, something that can be comfortably slotted behind the "serious" Rockstar and Naughty Dog output, it makes them easier to minimize and dismiss. Nintendo staying in the hardware biz gives their brand of game a platform and degree of relevance that's harder to shuffle into the closet when the "grown ups" come over.

This is a really, really good post.

Mesoian

Just scrolled through the comments and the only time Ben's bothered to respond to anyone, he's wrong.

::Sigh:: Christ, that's just...

HAHAHA

... I shit you not...

XD

This is why no one will ever Hire Ben Kuchera for business or marketing.

This is, quite literally, the argument we made when we were 8 and couldn't afford more than one console, but still really wanted to play one or two games on other consoles. "Why can't sony/Microsoft/Nintendo just...you know...put Killzone/Halo/Mario out for the thing I have?"

sörine

Banned
Did Ben Kuchera really just non-ironically say "don't argue a point when someone has a financial interest in not being persuaded"?

Like, completely without a trace of self-awareness?
Yeah the cognitive dissonance on display is alarming. The most rabid Xbox fanboy on a site founded directly with Microsoft money really has no business doing this sort of mudslinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom