• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Microsoft, give consumers the FPS counter on the front of the Xbox Scorpio

anothertech

Bad Polygon! Get in your basket!

A meaningless addition to a console that only a niche part of the userbase would actually want added.

Next they will be asking for Twitter posts to appear on it.
Wait a minute... I think you're onto somthing there.

XboxTwit

XT for short

Phils twitter feed appears on the face of the console in real time. Only Phils though.

That actually would be good idea for console - if the Ubisofts of the world had to remember that customer can see the "cinematic" 24 fps experience we would get more flawless 30/60 fps games.

Wedzi

Banned
I understand why you might want to have such a feature if you are playing on PC where you can adjust the settings and get instant feed back on how the game is running (which is the reason developers asked for such a feature) but why on earth would you ever want to put such a feature on a console where you're basically advertising frame rate dips right on the front!?

Ominym

Banned
The level of stupidity here really makes me think this is parody (albeit, poorly done). But considering the source, it's not even the weirdest thing we've seen come out of this outlet.
Parody pieces are so difficult to do, especially so if you're attempting to put out a piece of satire amongst a bunch of other "regular" content. If you're not a site like The Onion that has an established expectation and credit as a satirical publication, you need to try twice as hard and write twice as well to make your intentions clear.

Does The Onion have bad articles from time to time? Absolutely. But everyone knows that they're just bad satirical articles. When a normal publication attempts satire and fails, it simply just makes them look like they're pushing an actual, stupid idea.

H3xum

This is an absurd article, so dumb

Dev's wouldn't want this either, let alone the consumer that has to pay extra for this

I would like it tbh
Same here.

I don't get the disgust of some of the reactions. It'd be a neat little feature for a console being sold on raw power to people who care about raw power.

I can take it or leave it, but its a fine suggestion, and better than putting that info up on the game screen imho. Its also obvious that there wouldn't be many upsides for MS and devs on this, and potential downsides for both, which doesn't make it a very realistic suggestion. But as a player, *I'd* appreciate it.

Rembrandt

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if it has the screen, but it'll be for messages/notifcations/etc. I could see the FPS counter being in the settings.

Oh look, yet another terrible Ben Kuchera article.

Is there some sort of Chrome extension I can install that automatically identifies and blocks his articles?

SummitAve

Banned
There's a reason I don't keep it on after I adjust the settings in a PC game. It's distracting, and leads to never ending settings adjustments.

see5harp

You can argue that it's a poor article but if you can't actually tell it's a joke you might be dumber than you assume kuchera is.

I understand why you might want to have such a feature if you are playing on PC where you can adjust the settings and get instant feed back on how the game is running (which is the reason developers asked for such a feature) but why on earth would you ever want to put such a feature on a console where you're basically advertising frame rate dips right on the front!?

Because it would be consumer friendly move to give us more information to keep devs honest.

We're seeing more console games with graphics options that can be enabled/disabled that could affect performance. PC ports as well as differing rendering modes like you see on some PS4 Pro titles.

So, there's far less to adjust on the consoles, but we may see more choices along those lines as we see more console revisions that increase power.

I realize this Article is tongue in cheek sarcasm about the type of person who really focuses on performance when gaming. I want to laugh, but then I realize I plan to buy one of these because for some games, I find performance inhibiting my enjoyment at times. I want to keep gaming with my Xbox friends, and I do want more horsepower for games like ME:A MP that has some frame rate hickups at times.

I will admit that when I installed my 1080 last summer, I bought 3D Mark and started playing around with clocks, and after about 2-3 hours, decided it wasn't for me, and left the card at its quietest fan setting. Maybe this is evidence that people can care about performance, without caring too much.

Nope, I will not let this article shame me.

aBarreras

Nothing, that’s what. I want a solid, concrete way to know the console is doing what I want it to do at all times. I need that sweet, sweet gratification of knowing games look and run better on my console of choice when compared to my past console or the competition. Which is why I want that front-facing OLED display from the development kit on the retail hardware, and I won’t hear a word otherwise.

are we sure this isnt satire? because god damn, it reads like one

see5harp

We're seeing more console games with graphics options that can be enabled/disabled that could affect performance. PC ports as well as differing rendering modes like you see on some PS4 Pro titles.

Even in those still rare cases it would make more sense to create a on screen software solution. What are you gonna play and look at the frame rate counter at the same time? Even with serious overclocking on pc I find the idea of some add in display sorta repulsive.

DesertFox

are we sure this isnt satire? because god damn, it reads like one

I believe that it is... but Polygon should really refrain from writing satire. It only works if you are a respected outlet. This ends up just coming off as yet another crazy Polygon article.

K' Dash

59fps_01e1f9_5512995.jpg

kadotsu

Banned
They should just occasionally pop up messages telling you that your purchase was totally worth it.

Why just an FPS counter? I want a complete debug screen of all caches and memory allocation.

Yeah, because that's where gaming is going. Maybe don't even turn the TV on, let's just stare at the fps count.

Great joke, Polygon. GG.

Jeffrey

Article is dumb but I do see the appeal of a system level fps counter on consoles, to make this stuff more transparent and hopefully forces devs to care a bit more about performance. Mass effect ran embarrassingly bad on ps4 pro.

I realize this Article is tongue in cheek sarcasm about the type of person who really focuses on performance when gaming. I want to laugh, but then I realize I plan to buy one of these because for some games, I find performance inhibiting my enjoyment at times. I want to keep gaming with my Xbox friends, and I do want more horsepower for games like ME:A MP that has some frame rate hickups at times.

I will admit that when I installed my 1080 last summer, I bought 3D Mark and started playing around with clocks, and after about 2-3 hours, decided it wasn't for me, and left the card at its quietest fan setting. Maybe this is evidence that people can care about performance, without caring too much.

Nope, I will not let this article shame me.
But on console 99% of the time you won't be able to do anything to increase the performance you are given.

atr0cious

Well one of the quotes from the article is to put

on the display.

I am pretty sure he is making fun of people.
Who could he be making fun of? The people who really care that much about fps are most likely on PC as consoles are usually limited to 30fps. And he's not making fun of xbone owners because they most definitely don't give that much of a shit about fps.

MazeHaze

Banned
That has to be the stupidest suggestion I've ever seen. WTF Polygon.

One of the absolute worst things about going down the performance rabbit hole on PC is opening FRAPS and seeing the frame rate going to shit and knowing you can't do anything about it.

That would be so fucking idiotic of MS to do. Plus, I'm sure there are going to be PLENTY of Scorpio games that hit 30 FPS with drops, there is no way in hell they would want to blast that info out to everybody.

Even in those still rare cases it would make more sense to create a on screen software solution. What are you gonna play and look at the frame rate counter at the same time? Even with serious overclocking on pc I find the idea of some add in display sorta repulsive.
An optional/toggleable OS level overlay would be fine too.

Keby

Display your framerate on the console and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Seriously though don't do it MS. They look tacky on PC cases, and it'll look tacky on this.

ZOONAMI

Why? Maybe have a software app for fps overlay. That would be cool I guess but it would largely be pointless as you can't do anything to improve fps like u can on pc.

Cartho

He's all over the place

TaNLyqC.png

God almighty.

I love the bit about "there's nothing the PS4 Pro can do to compete". Sony may as well pack up and leave the console business to be honest. It's over guys, Scorpio is gonna dominate the world.

Back on topic:
I assume the original article is satire. I mean I hope it is. It just wasn't particularly funny. Or even slightly funny at all.

Hesh

I have an even better idea:

Put a large light on the front of the console that lights up either green or red while the consumer is playing a game. If the light is green then this means "Everything is okay!" and the consumer should be suitably happy. If the light is red then this means "Something is wrong!" and the consumer should be angry that their gaming experience is not going swimmingly. The light has to be large, though, because we can't afford the consumer not being readily aware of how to interpret their current gaming session.

Top Bottom