• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by slowly killing the 3DS

watershed

Banned
By the way I expect a 3DS successor in the next 2 years. Hopefully it will be 480p, region free and will pretty much use the same account system as Switch.

Not happening unless it's a Switch Mini. Nintendo isn't going to release more hardware that doesn't share a game library with the Switch, outside of novelty stuff like NES Classic and SNES Classic.

ramparter

Banned
These expectations should have gone out of the window when a Pokémon RPG was announced for the Switch. There will be no separate 3DS successor.

I think what you're expecting is the Switch or, as I'm baselessly assuming, an eventual Switch Mini that has a smaller screen (still 720p) and doesn't include a dock but is otherwise identical.

No. Different systems different market, the 3DS successor will not be as powerful as Switch, it will still have dual screens and will cost less than 200$. It will be just an improved New 2DS.

LotusHD

Banned
No. Different systems different market, the 3DS successor will not be as powerful as Switch, it will still have dual screens and will cost less than 200$. It will be just an improved New 2DS.

I really am surprised people expect a successor that's completely different from the Switch.

ggx2ac

Do you think Nintendo will be able to support a 3DS successor and the Switch at the same time compared to how they abandoned the Wii U to support the 3DS since they could no longer handle two platforms getting very similar games?

"I'm so sick of playing these low resolution games on weak hardware. I'd MUCH rather play the exact same games on Switch [which would require resources to ensure they don't look like total ass on Switch and also these games have been in development for a long time on 3DS]."

Also lol @ killing the biggest existing install base of the XBO/PS4/Wii U/3DS/PSV generation. Don't people usually throw a fit when Nintendo prematurely drop kicks support for a console in favor of the next one?

The "unified development stream" that was meant to be heralded in with the Switch certainly hasn't come to fruition yet at least. The 3DS is very old hardware any way you slice it and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want it to be easier for them to get more original games for their new console. The only native (non-port) Switch-exclusive games I own are Snipperclips, Bomberman R and Kamiko thus far and I agree that more games along the lines of Super Mario Odyssey should be on their way more quickly than the current state of affairs.

Idunno, I think the announcement of the next Pokemon game being on switch is a pretty big sign that the unified development stream is very much a real thing. I'd also point out that they're releasing games of at least moderate significance basically every month. From BotW to MK8D to Arms to Splatoon 2 to Odyssey to Xenoblade, they've done a pretty competent job of avoiding the droughts that Wii and Wii U experienced.

Ok, but that's not going to happen. If price is your concern, I would guarantee that you will be able to buy a Switch for $199.99 two years from now, in the time frame that you for some reason expect this system. It makes a lot more sense to just revise the Switch and drop its price.

cuate

Banned
I'd have no problem with 3ds level visuals on a switch.

plus they can always include higher res textures and effects, on top of the framerate & resolution bumps.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It feels like a damn if you do, damn if you don't here.

People criticize Nintendo for ending supports prematurely for its successor, and now they criticize Nintendo for doing the opposite.

If such a console was in the offing, there's no chance that Game Freak would be developing a Switch game. It's a pipe dream.

Atheerios

There won't be 3DS successor. And let me tell you why.

nintendo_network.jpg

When Nintendo introduced their old account system, Nintendo Network, it had a generic name because since it's inception they planned for both Wii U and 3DS.

However, this time the online platform, including the paid system is Switch exclusive.

7scn5DW.png

20170112-nintendoswitch19.png

online.png

Nintendo is not considering releasing anything not Switch branded in the near future. If they were, they would have called their online service something unrelated to Switch.

Also, an hypothetical 3DS successor would always live under the shadow of the Switch. I already can imagine the reviews: "Why buy an underpowered handheld with very few noteworthy games when the Switch has a great catalog and much more power? We don't recommend to buy the 4DS, instead you should save $70 more and buy the superior handheld".

So you've gone from "the people" to yourself specifically?

Let me ask: if Samus Returns had taken Federation Force's place would you have been port-begging for a Wii U version?

I only care about myself. I couldn’t care less about other people because why would I?

To me, metroid being on 3DS is shit. I’m buying it, so haha more fool me huh, but it’s shit. I would much rather have it on the better platform. Trying to relegate me being upset to “haha port begging” because you can’t think logically and have to use overused GAF phrases doesn’t benefit anyone.

And I don’t care about 3D Metroid. Fuck if Prime 4 was on 3DS and the 3DS game on Switch I’d be super happy.

I only care about myself. I couldn’t care less about other people because why would I?

To me, metroid being on 3DS is shit. I’m buying it, so haha more fool me huh, but it’s shit. I would much rather have it on the better platform. Trying to relegate me being upset to “haha port begging” because you can’t think logically and have to use overused GAF phrases doesn’t benefit anyone.

And I don’t care about 3D Metroid. Fuck if Prime 4 was on 3DS and the 3DS game on Switch I’d be super happy.

Damn, outsourced 3DS remakes got people turning into Ayn Rand characters up in here.

Plum

If you only care about yourself why did you ask what the people would think of SMO being on 3DS?

As for port begging, what you're doing is the very definition of the act. You want 2D Metroid on a home console, that's an OK thing to want, but that is all there is to it.

Damn, outsourced 3DS remakes got people turning into Ayn Rand characters up in here.

Samus Shrugged

cuate

Banned
can't people just want a switch version of samus returns without others needing to call them out for whatever reason?

Mutant

...But seriously they rerelease Sun and Moon on the 2DS and give Switch owners the weird fighting game spin off?!

Sure, I guess. I mean, they're on fire right now so who am I to judge? Still though, Pokken Tournament??

120v

what an insipid article. they pretty much are phasing out the 3DS.

Switch isn't getting metroid and a pokemon revision lets just blow it up omg

If you only care about yourself why did you ask what the people would think of SMO being on 3DS?

As for port begging, what you're doing is the very definition of the act. You want 2D Metroid on a home console, that's an OK thing to want, but that is all there is to it.

Samus Shrugged

I’m not begging for anything. I’m expressing my dissatisfaction. The point is saying “oh it’s just metroid it’s not like it’s a big game” is a shit argument when I’ve wanted a new 2D metroid for years. To me as a metroid fan it’s just as stupid as putting Mario on 3DS.

“Port begging” is an attempt to dismiss the opinion. I want it on switch because there’s no benefit to it being on 3DS for me.

jts

...hate me...
Going just off the title, if someone doesn't think the 3DS is being slowly killed off already and has been for a while, isn't paying close attention.

Nintendo is doing a good work of maximising income while not pulling the rug under 3DS players too fast.

Phase out the thing that's still selling, and fully rely on the supply constrained system that you cannot produce fast enough. That's a bold strategy, but I'm sure Ben justify it to shareholders.

oti

Banned
Just keep in mind that 3DS growth was actually positive for the first time since launch. To then go and say "Nah, we're dropping it coz Switch yo" is irrational.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Apparently fans of the 3DS aren't real fans according to Polygon.

Did they start hiring 11 years old to write their articles?

It's amazing how much the core fanbase forgets they are only a fraction of the whole videogame market.

Plum

The point is saying ”oh it's just metroid it's not like it's a big game" is a shit argument when I've wanted a new 2D metroid for years. To me as a metroid fan it's just as stupid as putting Mario on 3DS.

Except the original question was this:

If Nintendo announced Mario Odyssey was for 3DS do you think people would be happy?

I'm not begging for anything. I'm expressing my dissatisfaction.

Except you went on to say this:

I want it on switch because there's no benefit to it being on 3DS for me.

Lanrutcon

I’m not begging for anything. I’m expressing my dissatisfaction. The point is saying “oh it’s just metroid it’s not like it’s a big game” is a shit argument when I’ve wanted a new 2D metroid for years. To me as a metroid fan it’s just as stupid as putting Mario on 3DS.

“Port begging” is an attempt to dismiss the opinion. I want it on switch because there’s no benefit to it being on 3DS for me.

"I'm not port begging, I just want a specific game released on my platform of choice so badly that I'll swear about it repeatedly on a forum that has rules about port begging."

Quality poster identified. Someone give this man a tag.

...But seriously they rerelease Sun and Moon on the 2DS and give Switch owners the weird fighting game spin off?!

Sure, I guess. I mean, they're on fire right now so who am I to judge? Still though, Pokken Tournament??

They're already underway making an original Pokemon RPG title for switch, and they understand the impact that it's going to have. People have been clamoring for a home console Pokemon since basically forever, it would be very dumb for them to blow their load on what the art style and graphics of that game are likely going to be on a port of Sun/Moon rather than the wholly original title.

It would be somewhat comparable to if Nintendo had made a 3D version of Link to the Past for N64 and then released Ocarina of Time a year later. Ocarina of Time would still be amazing, but neither it nor the 3D revision of LttP would have had the same effect Ocarina of Time by itself ultimately did, because the appeal wasn't just that Ocarina of Time was a new Zelda game or that it was Zelda in 3D for the first time, it's that it was both of those things in the same game.

"I'm not port begging, I just want a specific game released on my platform of choice so badly that I'll swear about it repeatedly on a forum that has rules about port begging."

Quality poster identified. Someone give this man a tag.

Just so we are clear me saying I’m talking from my perspective rather than some vague “what’s best for Nintendo’s profits” stance is now a bad thing?

I’m talking about the topic of the thread, rather than just coming in here and sharing “lol fuck polygon”. If you think that’s bad forum behaviour then you have different standards to me.

How out of touch can you be? Not every fan is an early adopter of new hardware, killing current hardware and requiring the customer to spend more on an upgrade rather than making it a choice is not a consumer friendly approach or a "gift" to fans.
I suppose they think the Wii U barely being supported for 4 years was a "gift" as well.

...and in a thread about Nintendo slowly killing 3DS support, games that aren't even developed by Nintendo are pretty irrelevant to the conversation.

But that's really the essence of Ben's bloviating hot take anyway. "Nintendo should do thing they're already doing."

As an early adopter, I would love more content to come to the Switch instead of 3DS.

However, all it takes is a few seconds of rational thinking to understand that is just a personal preference and would be a bad business decision in the short-term.

I am sure they already have a timeline sketched out for phasing the hardware out anyway, despite what their PR heads are saying.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Weird article. There's been loads of 3DS revisions but crucially, only 1-2 of them are still being made. I own a Switch but I would never take it away with me on long journeys like the 3DS.

Ah whatever. It's not even that hot a take, the article itself points out the price difference between the 2ds/3ds. I get the thought process for some that the 3ds line should go because there's an assumption that it's removal will see an uptick in switch sales that you can correlate with the average consumer of the 3ds and it's software. That we would get certain software that it arriving on 3ds on Switch instead. I don't know, maybe that's all true? Imo it's even a big assumption that the developers themselves want to limit their options in potential projects this way but who knows. A lot of that article and those lines of thought sound like something for the business end of Nintendo to worry about and work out with the publishers & devs it works with.

As a consumer it's very simple for me. I have a switch. I'm very satisfied with the current scenario in regards to software and how it's progressing. I'm also going to replace my 3DS XL with a new 2ds XL to play Hey Pikmin, Miitopia, MHS, Metroid and so on on it. I'm still super enthusiastic for my 3DS, I still love playing it, and I don't particularly want to see it go away. I like the differentiation between the games arriving on each, I like that 3DS games cost me less money. I don't know any real people that are genuinely confused about the difference between the 3ds and Switch, or why some software comes to one or the other, and I just hope that they wrap up when devs are no longer excited by the hardware, and that time doesn't come before I'm done being excited by the hardware and software.

oti

Banned
In US it looks 3DS sales took a huge hit after the Switch release.

It sold 68,000 in April NPD.

Nintendo didn't report May figures but safe to assume they were down too.

Of course they did. Doesn't change the fact there are a ton of new 3DS users out there, that software and hardware sales are up, that new hardware is close to release, new Pokémon games are coming and that Nintendo estimates 6 million sales for this fiscal year.

If the 3DS doesn't hit that number Nintendo will phase it out more quickly.

I'm still salty as fuck that the 2017 3ds lineup from the launch of the switch on is so much better than the Switches since I HATE the 3ds hardware but love the switch hardware.

Top Bottom