• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by slowly killing the 3DS

That isn't what we said. And you know that.

The point was that it’s bad for a journalist to be pro technology (whatever that means) rather than consumer. The implication being metroid being put on switch would be anti consumer. To which I asked if people would say the same thing about Mario if it had been put on 3DS.

I'm not a game developer so this will probably sound stupid to some of you, but would it have been feasible to develop 3DS titles for both systems relatively cheaply? Like, take the menus and stuff and make them usable on just one screen, bump the resolution up, and sell Metroid, Pokemon USUM, and whatever else is left on both platforms. That is really the only way everyone ends up happy. I imagine that's not cheap or easy though.

I'm still salty as fuck that the 2017 3ds lineup from the launch of the switch on is so much better than the Switches since I HATE the 3ds hardware but love the switch hardware.

I mean, personally I feel like having ARMS, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and Pokken Deluxe is a hell of a lot better than remakes of Fire Emblem Gaiden (which I really liked), Metroid 2, Mario & Luigi, and then a sequel to Pokemon. Nintendo is not wrong for supporting the platform with 66 million users, especially in light of the production issues of the Switch.

ramparter

Banned
Out of curiosity, why do you feel the 3DS' is better?
I understand people would love Samus Returns, FE Echoes and Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon on Switch but still 3DS lineup is in no way better than what Switch gets.

I'm not a game developer so this will probably sound stupid to some of you, but would it have been feasible to develop 3DS titles for both systems relatively cheaply? Like, take the menus and stuff and make them usable on just one screen, bump the resolution up, and sell Metroid, Pokemon USUM, and whatever else is left on both platforms. That is really the only way everyone ends up happy. I imagine that's not cheap or easy though.
I really don't know how compatible the two systems are in terms of development tools but I suspect Nintendo doesnt want games on Switch that look like 3DS titles, bumping the resolution alone wont really help. Personally I'd be more than ok but guess this isn't how they roll.

Fredrik

I think it'd be fairly smart of them to release a "Switch Mini" around, say, holiday 2018 that has a roughly 4.5" screen and doesn't come with a dock, but otherwise has the same internal guts as the Switch and maybe improves on the current battery life by about 1 hour. Sell it for maybe $179.99 and pair it with a price drop on the regular Switch and I think they'd have a pretty successful holiday next year. It would be more useful than the usual slimmed down revisions of console life cycles because it would actually make the Switch a fully portable system that you can stick in your pocket and go, and the lack of a dock + smaller screen should pretty easily allow for that lower price point.
Yeah that could work too, but it would break the UI in many games, if they just shrink it and run the same versions of the games it'll be unreadable on a small screen, they need modified versions with bigger fonts and maybe rearanged UI objects to fit the bigger text.
They need to do something though, I've tried to carry Switch with me but unless you have a bag it's far too bulky.

Plum

The point was that it’s bad for a journalist to be pro technology (whatever that means) rather than consumer. The implication being metroid being put on switch would be anti consumer. To which I asked if people would say the same thing about Mario if it had been put on 3DS.

...how is putting Samus Returns on 3DS anti-consumer instead of just anti-you?

Deeke[VRZ];242136129 said:
They will. Very very slowly. You don't just nix a system with 66 million units out in the wild, yknow?
Didn't stop them with the original Wii, support for that dried up before the Wii U even released.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the 3DS' is better?

A big part of it is that I honestly hated BOTW after the first 5 hours, thought ARMS was trash, and thought Splatoon 1 was neat but have zero interest in playing 2.

So the only Switch game I've enjoyed is puyo puyo tetris (I've bought other smaller games and hated them like the bad NBA street knockoff), and the only upcoming Switch games I plan on buying is Rabbids Xcom (looks awesome) and Stardew Valley (a year old port of a game I already played alot of).

So new version of pokemon, the recent fire emblem remake, Etrian Odessey 5, Ever Oasis (liked the demo idk if the whole game will be good), 2d Metroid, a port of the best pokemon game besides it's own remake, and the new dragon quest game (assuming it's out in the US this year), mario and luigi rpg rerelease.

It really isn't even close at all. I would gladly rather buy those 3ds games on my switch even if they were sloppy as fuck ports, because honestly I thought the 3ds' screen was ass from day one, and playing new games on it now sucks.

I mean, personally I feel like having ARMS, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and Pokken Deluxe is a hell of a lot better than remakes of Fire Emblem Gaiden (which I really liked), Metroid 2, Mario & Luigi, and then a sequel to Pokemon. Nintendo is not wrong for supporting the platform with 66 million users, especially in light of the production issues of the Switch.

I don't have any interest in any of the switch games you put here. Arms was bad, the original pokken was bad, Xenoblade X was so bad I can't imagine 2 will be good, and I already played enough Mario Kart on wiiU that without way more non battle tracks added I have no interest in going back, splatoon was fine but just not for me.

I never said they were wrong, just that I'm salty as fuck that besides Rabbids X-com literally every Nintendo release in 2017 I am interested in is on the ugly ass 3ds.

cuate

Banned
...how is putting Samus Returns on 3DS anti-consumer instead of just anti-you?

I think the point is to have it on both systems. everyone wins.

also it's not just him. a lot of people would prefer to play it on the switch.

deleted

The only real active 3DS family systems are:

2DS
New 3DS/XL

That will soon become
2DS
New 2DS XL

Nintendo can't meet Switch demand, no matter what they'll do for the rest of this year and possibly even 2018.
They have a very steady line-up for the Switch planned for this year and the next.
They could not sell more Switches if they had more games available.
They can still sell the 2DS/3DS with a really high margin.
They don't have many people on active development for 3DS internally.
They announced Switch titles for franchises that appear this late in the 3DS life almost instantly (Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid).

Nintendo has seldom made as much sense when it comes to game announcements and strategic planning. It would make no sense at all to cut a revenue stream this high when they can't replace it. The 3DS family is still the system to introduce someone to Nintendo games for cheap. Buying a 2DS with a game will cost you less than 100$ - if there is one game that interests you, chances are there are even more.
Seeing how Nintendo ported games over the last few years, chances are also high that games not too depended on the 2nd Screen experience might find their way onto the Switch sometime in the future.
Looking at Metroid, Castlevania and Batman Metroidvanias both had HD re-releases at a later date.

Chauzu

It's hard to take claims that the 3DS has better releases in 2017 than Switch. Third party wise I can defo see it, but at least Nintendo is putting all the big guns they can on the Switch, while 3DS just gets remakes from outsourced studios.

Quasar

Certainly the sooner the better for me as I want more handheld oriented games on switch. The sooner all the vita games come to switch too the better.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The 3DS is only getting major games because they were in development before they knew how successful Switch would be.

2018 will be a wasteland for major 3DS releases as they move onto Switch as their single unified platform they've always planned for.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They are already phasing it out. Off the top of my head there isn't a single new game that has been developed internally for the 3DS. It's all outsourced. Their internal teams are all on Switch.

Once they release those Pokémon games, it's over.

Are there any big 3DS games on the Horizon being developed in house by Nintendo? The big releases for the fall are all being developed outside Nintendo as far as I am aware (Ultra Sun/Moon by Game Freak and Metroid by Mercury Stream.) It makes sense to me to keep the 3DS alive as a cheap alternative to introduce younger gamers to Nintendo. I expect it will be alive in some limited capacity until Nintendo can develop a cheaper "Switch Lite" that costs $200 or less.

Yeah that could work too, but it would break the UI in many games, if they just shrink it and run the same versions of the games it'll be unreadable on a small screen, they need modified versions with bigger fonts and maybe rearanged UI objects to fit the bigger text.
They need to do something though, I've tried to carry Switch with me but unless you have a bag it's far too bulky.

That's a good point. Do you really think it would have that much of an impact on UI? Going from 6.2" to 5" (same size as a vita screen) would be a reduction of about 20%. I think most UI information would still be discernible at 4/5 of its original size, but maybe I'm underestimating how drastic that shift is.

kc44135

Agreed, it's time to kill the fucker. The screen is ugly, the controls feel awful, the 3D gives me a headache, and it cramps my hands something fierce. Time for it to die. Nintendo, pls.
The 3DS is only getting major games because they were in development before they knew how successful Switch would be.

2018 will be a wasteland for major 3DS releases as they move onto Switch as their single unified platform they've always planned for.

Yup, this is my assumption for why we're still getting some major 3DS releases this year. Nintendo probably genuinely wasn't sure how successful Switch would be, and whether or not they had another Wii U on their hands. So, they propped up the 3DS with some exclusives for the fall, just in case. It's a shame too, because now great games like Samus Returns will be shackled to that awful hardware for the foreseeable future. Poor Samus. :(

forms

...and here I am, on my way to buying the 2DS XL once it drops, my first Nintendo since the DS Lite/Wii. A man needs his Monster Hunter fix until World hits the PS4.

Didn't stop them with the original Wii, support for that dried up before the Wii U even released.

The difference here is software sales I believe. I may be wrong as I don't follow sales that closely, but weren't Wii software sales pretty lackluster later in its lifespan?

Can't really say the same about 3DS as the software continues to sell very well.

brawly

It's amazing how many people ITT still cling to that garbage hardware that was already terrible and outdated when it launched.

"Fits in your pocket" is moot imo or do you also carry your phone, wallet and keys in those pockets? If so, stop wearing those ugly ass cargo pants with big pockets and get a backpack, a Switch, a case and leave 240p in the gutter where it belongs.

Summing up my thoughts for the whole thing, I think Nintendo's strategy for the 3DS is a good thing. As the 3DS is winding down and the Switch is ramping up, we've seen Nintendo make statements on their continued commitment to the 3DS and its owners through 2018 and (maybe) beyond. I'll even double down and say it's the best thing. Too many times we've seen Nintendo drop a platform like a bad habit as soon as something newer is available. But what Nintendo should have done with their aged systems for the past few generations is what they are finally doing with the 3DS. And that's basically to treat it as their PS2.

Keep in mind that from what we know about the current projects of internal Nintendo development teams, they have zero projects currently in full production. Every one that we know about has either already released a Switch game or is making one right now. Reposting from a couple pages back, here's a list of currently announced 3DS games:

Kirby's Blowout Blast - HAL
Hey! Pikmin - Azrest
Miitopia - Nintendo
Culdcept Revolt - NIS
Metroid: Samus Returns - MercurySteam
Layton's Mystery Journey - Level-5
Etrian Odyssey V - Atlus
Monster Hunter Stories - Capcom
Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido - indieszero
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon - GameFreak
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - Atlus
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - Atlus
Of all of those games, Nintendo is listed as the developer on only Miitopia. It releases in NA/EU next month. Even that is a late port though. It launched last year in Japan. Its development team, presumably, has also moved on to the Switch. I think it's the best thing for satisfying as many of their fans as possible. EPD and other internal teams like Retro and Monolith are all busy on creating new content for the Switch, just as everyone wants them to be.

That leaves a handful of producers to work with external teams on keeping the huge built-in 3DS audience satisfied. This applies to Pikmin, Kirby, Metroid, and Pokemon. With many of these external teams, we know that they decide their own projects and platforms. For example, we know that GameFreak does whatever the hell GameFreak wants and they're no strangers to making Pokemon games for platforms that already have a successor. We know that MercurySteam pitched the idea of a Metroid 2 remake for 3DS to Nintendo in 2015. What these partners decide to do with their resources is, rightfully, on them. It doesn't put much extra on Nintendo's plate to assign a few employees in producer roles for these games.

The rest of the support for 3DS is coming from 3rd parties, companies that don't have a new piece of hardware to sell. It is absolutely in Nintendo's best interest to push new hardware and cultivate a new audience on that new platform. For 3rd parties though, the goal is to reach as many players as possible. That's why Atlus and Capcom are putting their games on PS4 and 3DS and not necessarily the Switch. Even the big AAA western publishers like EA and Activision benefit from choosing the platforms with the biggest audience. That's why cross-gen releases take years to taper out. That's why Ubisoft just announced a Wii game this year. True generation exclusive games that aren't 1st party are a rarity.

TL;DR - Nintendo's "support" for the 3DS is to continue manufacturing it, publish some games from partner studios, and allow 3rd parties to continue making games for it. The PS2 sold another 40 million consoles after 2006 using exactly this strategy of post-gen support. Of course the 3DS isn't going to sell like that now, but it's a solid course and a key part of Nintendo's plan for the next few fiscal years. It's good for early next-gen adopters, it's good for late last-gen adopters, it's good for gamers on a more modest budget, and it's good for kids.

Aselith

There's only 1 New 3DS exclusive game, and the next one isn't even being released till Fall.

Which makes it more muddy because what if you get the least expensive thing and then later find out there are some games you just can't play? Like I had a 3DS XL and found out Earthbound was on 3DS. "Awesome! I'm buying that right now! Oh, I cant? Wtf"

This actually happened to me. I knew I couldn't play New 3DS games but Earthbound? Really?

Not at all surprised that this is a Ben Kuchera article.

Salty folks will still be salty that the 3DS is getting games, even though most franchises already have a Switch game announced. Zero sympathy in that case.

Metroid Prime is shit. 2D Metroid is great. How does it benefit me that Switch is getting a shitty Metroid Prime game?

Plum

Follow the trail of replies.

It's not anti consumer. But the argument was that putting it on Switch would be (somehow). I said would you say the same thing if Mario had been put on 3DS. Do you see?

Huh? I went through the entire chain of replies and nothing implied that putting Metroid on Switch would be anti-consumer. Not good business sense, maybe, but not anti-consumer. That and the Mario Odyssey example was handwaved by you with "but I think Metroid is more important," which, when we're discussing consumers as a whole, is irrelevant and pointless.

I think the point is to have it on both systems. everyone wins.

also it's not just him. a lot of people would prefer to play it on the switch.

A lot of people want a lot of things in regards to console exclusives, but that's got very little to do with being anti consumer. Of course having it on both would be great but, unlike forced intrusive DRM or dishonest marketing nobody is getting swindled here and.

Logash

I agree with this but I have not owned a 3DS in a while and do not plan on owning one again. I imagine those with a 3DS or especially those with just a 3DS would love to see it supported and I get that.

Huh? I went through the entire chain of replies and nothing implied that putting Metroid on Switch would be anti-consumer. Not good business sense, maybe, but not anti-consumer. That and the Mario Odyssey example was handwaved by you with "but I think Metroid is more important," which, when we're discussing consumers as a whole, is irrelevant and pointless.

I'm not talking about consumers as a whole. I only care about myself in this situation. 2D Metroid being on 3DS is as dumb as Mario Odyssey being on Wii U. They're both outdated, useless systems I don't want to use.

Plum

I'm not talking about consumers as a whole. I only care about myself in this situation. 2D Metroid being on 3DS is as dumb as Mario Odyssey being on Wii U. They're both outdated, useless systems I don't want to use.

So then we're not talking about what's anti-consumer and what's not, we're talking about how anti-you this is. If so, why even bring up what people other than you might think of SMO?

So then we're not talking about what's anti-consumer and what's not, we're talking about how anti-you this is. If so, why even bring up what people other than you might think of SMO?

"Why is a games journalist advocating for anything other than the support of systems the majority of people still game on?

If a journalist is advocating either for a company or the advance of technology regardless of the market then that's a suspect individual for me."

This is the post I replied to bringing up Mario. It's a stupid logic. Saying that putting the game on something other than the most common system is "suspect" is bullshit logic.

Plum

"Why is a games journalist advocating for anything other than the support of systems the majority of people still game on?

If a journalist is advocating either for a company or the advance of technology regardless of the market then that's a suspect individual for me."

This is the post I replied to bringing up Mario. It's a stupid logic. Saying that putting the game on something other than the most common system is "suspect" is bullshit logic.

Yeah, it is bad logic, but why go on a tangent regarding you, yourself and your desire for Metroid if that was the original point of discussion? My initial reply to that Mario post had nothing to do with you yet you made it so.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Dear Nintendo,

Please kill off your biggest cash cow. Also, we don't understand how software development cycles work.

Yours,

Polygon.

orioto

Good Art™
I was thinking about something, but .. Switch could technically emulate 3ds right ? Especially with Nintendo hardware and software teams working on it, or at least they could do something to half backed easily some emulation you know, to make a port almost automatic i guess. Like a port based on an initial emulation or something.

Cause if they could have released the last biggest 3ds games on Switch to, that would have made think way easier.

Oh wait i forgot about the dual screen lol.. Well it's possible to have them left and right but not ideal, sure..

At least it would be great if devs could easily up-port a game on Switch to release it on both machine ala vita/ps3/ps4. When i see a cute thing like The alliance Alive, i'd looooove to play that with just a better rez on Switch, who lacks rpg right now. Most 3ds games are super pretty with better rez. I guess it could have happen with Ninendo going to 3ds devs with games incoming and helping them with tools and stuffs ? To have the last batch of 3ds games being cross platform at least. (But nintendo doesn't want the Switch to look like a porting machine i guess ? Now those games could be available only digitally and labeled as 3ds classics or remasters)

oti

Banned
Because 240p in 2017 is offensive.

I get that but think about the implications. A 480p screen surely wouldn't be enough for you either, so the next logical step would be 720p, right? Do you really think it makes business sense to revamp your entire supply chain in order to use a more expensive (just a guess) screen that all those people who bought a 3DS for Pokémon Sun/Moon clearly don't really care about?

I really like the idea of a "Deluxe 3DS" though.

VariantX

Dunno what they want but that's what they're doing. They are keeping it around until they can get the switch out easier

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo is making the right move here if they perceive the shortages of crucial internal Switch parts to continue over the next year.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
All the 'no' responses are silly. The article says "slowly" phase it out. It's not like they're saying "pull them off shelves tomorrow." Of course the 6 year old hardware that felt 6 years old when it released is being phased out. Rightfully so.

These threads/debates would not be happening if late in life 3DS games were merely cross-gen like BOTW.

Also, this. People say "you don't phase out hardware with XX million units in the wild." What? How have any of these generations ever ended? When the PS4 came out, if they still released first party exclusives for the PS3 only, it would be a laugh. The 3DS line is going to die slowly and the only dedicated gaming hardware left will be the line of Switch systems.

MercuryLS3

Agreed. Please kill the DS line and put all of your software dev resources behind the Switch. After using it, why would you want to look at the terrible 3DS screen ever again?

The Switch is a console that you can take with you. It can fulfill the role of a handheld system, but it lacks tons of features that only a system like the 3DS provides. Dual screens, street pass, the ability to fit it in your pocket... Those are things that only a 3DS/successor can provide. Using the Switch as it's only portable console would be a step backwards for Nintendo, and I say this as a happy Switch owner.

prag16

Banned
I do think that 2017 should be the last year 3DS gets MAJOR support from Nintendo. However this article is a bit over the top, especially considering the current Switch shortages.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
All the 'no' responses are silly. The article says "slowly" phase it out. It's not like they're saying "pull them off shelves tomorrow." Of course the 6 year old hardware that felt 6 years old when it released is being phased out. Rightfully so.

Also, this. People say "you don't phase out hardware with XX million units in the wild." What? How have any of these generations ever ended? When the PS4 came out, if they still released first party exclusives for the PS3 only, it would be a laugh. The 3DS line is going to die slowly and the only dedicated gaming hardware left will be the line of Switch systems.

Why should they phase it out rather than letting the market decide?

Top Bottom