• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo is already repeating the Wii U's mistakes with Switch

By Christopher Grant

When Nintendo launched the Wii U in 2012, there were a lot of promises about what the platform meant. Now, less than five years later, the Wii U is an unmitigated failure, not just commercially but creatively, and Nintendo is going to take another crack at a tablet-based home console platform with the Nintendo Switch. And while Nintendo has a lot of ‘splaining to do in general, there is no better litmus test for Nintendo’s future success than how well it handles the console’s online functionality.

It’s not going great so far.

Nintendo held a Wii U reveal event in New York City in Sep. 2012, some 17 months after revealing the project and just two months before its release. And despite the years of inadequate online support for the Wii, Nintendo came equipped to that 2012 event with ... not a lot of detail on the Wii U’s online capabilities. “While there were many things missing from Nintendo's showing yesterday,” I wrote at the time, “there is one omission whose absence stands in such stark contrast to the rest of the industry, and even to Nintendo's own messaging today, that it's the obvious place to start: an online service.”

History has a way of repeating itself. It’s been 703 days since Nintendo revealed plans to succeed the flagging Wii U with a new console, the Nintendo Switch (then-codenamed NX), and it had a Switch reveal event in New York City last month, roughly two months before the console’s planned March release.

Nearly everything I detailed that was absent from the Wii U reveal event is absent now with just 14 days to go before the Switch is in customers’ homes.

More at the article.

A comment pointed out that hotel wi-fi might not even work with the console.

The same thread mentioned the web applet that likely lets you connect to hotel portals.

Wait and see but I read this today and agree with Chris that Nintendo and trust are two things I find it hard to reconcile.

They should have given access to press or even just demoed how it all fits together with one short video per week focusing on the OS features.

But Nopetendo.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not just the lack of information but the game lineup too.

Nintendo don't care, or aren't competent enough to launch strong. So I don't care about picking it up at launch.

Nintendo don't care, or aren't competent enough to launch strong. So I don't care about picking it up at launch.

I think Zelda, Mario Kart & Arms will be good until E3 but then they really have to pull it out with the likes of Pokemon (potentially huge), Smash, Retro's game and maybe a Metroid teaser.

TheMoon

Start-up that old narrative again. Sure going to help matters a lot!

edit: if you want more elaboration on this "shitpost" then read this.

shira

t1488560700z4.png

2 weeks to launch, yikes

Yukinari

Gonna be really exciting to see the sales of BoTW for both versions.

Due to how much money adds up to buy a switch/accessories, the lack of info surrounding it and sparse launch i know quite a few people who are just gonna wait.

I mean ignoring the fact you cant even buy one at launch anyway.

Skyzard

Banned
I think Zelda, Mario Kart & Arms will be good until E3 but then they really have to pull it out with the likes of Pokemon (potentially huge), Smash, Retro's game and maybe a Metroid teaser.

It's ok if you don't already have a WiiU but people who buy at launch tend to be more core fans, I'd imagine.

There's a lot we don't know but I also feel like we know enough to decide whether we want to buy it. It's a portable system that you can play on your TV and it has Breath of the Wild. That's a solid launch proposal. We do need to know more about the future lineup though.

I don't think it's comparable to Wii U. We have some must have titles on the way like Mario, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Arms, Mario Kart and various others, Wii U didn't have that.

I don't see the launch lineup being much stronger (weaker, rather. Typing too fast) than the PS4 or Xbox One. Even then, for those consoles, there was a lot of "the launch games suck" posts. I think "weak" launches are something to expect from here on out.

Durante

Nintendo making a lot of mistakes with Wii U isn't just a "narrative", it's a fact.

And to me it also seems true that they haven't improved significantly enough when it comes to online, especially considering that they will want to charge for it.

I don't think its not caring, but that they are rushing the switch. Not all the games are ready, but they want a decent sized install base by the holidays, which will get really competitive. Scorpio being one of them.

PS4 and Xbox One had some variety but the launch was not exactly great for either systems, neither had a game on the caliber of Breath of the Wild. Switch seems like it will be worth it from day 1.

I'm sorry. It sounds like you're saying Nintendo should only be praised, not critiqued for the opaque methodology on which the Switch operates.

But carry on with this "narrative".

Narratives are stupid

120v

the two launches aren't comparable. one was a premier launch hot of the heels of their most successful console. other is a soft launch aimed at hardcore out of the gate

not that i particularly have faith in nintendo to not go groundhog day on their problems but we're not looking at a tire fire like wii u

Well, I'm waiting for a reason, and I've not done that for new Nintendo hardware since... Either the Gameboy colour or n64, whichever came out later (and I was a child then, so didn't have much choice!).

I am worried that this will be Wii U 2.0, though I hope it won't.

Famassu

Zelda BOTW, a new open world Super Mario, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2 + a plethora of less important but potentially still good games (some enhanced Wii U ports + smaller projects) + some possibly still unannounced 2017 releases (remember that Nintendo likes to announce things pretty late, especially smaller projects) is a pretty decent line-up of games from Nintendo themselves within the first 8-9 months of release.

It's the 3rd party support that is a bit lacking at the moment, but I imagine Japanese publishers will start jumping in on the Switch action as they start transitioning off from Vita and 3DS projects and maybe doing some PS4 + Switch projects. Western support is probably somewhat of a lost cause (except indies) unless it proves out to be a much bigger success than most anticipate, but even then the support would come with a bit of a delay.

Fliesen

Nintendo making a lot of mistakes with Wii U isn't just a "narrative", it's a fact.

And to me it also seems true that they haven't improved significantly enough when it comes to online, especially considering that they will want to charge for it.

i agree - the issue with this is most likely that Nintendo thinks "hey, we're not gonna charge for this optional feature until later this year, so why care about it pre-release".

I believe Nintendo, unlike potential customers, still doesn't consider online functionality / social features a core feature of a console.

Just like Microsoft went overboard with "every console's always online anyways nowadays!" Mattrick shit, Nintendo's "yeah, sure, it's gonna have online functionality, but let's worry about that later" makes them still feel out of touch with what are the factors upon which people base their console purchasing decisions.

Yukinari

I think switch BOTW will outsell the Wii u version by a large margin when all is said and done.

I got this feeling that the Wii U version will sell better than people realize. Not better than switch just to clarify.

Feel like theyre making a mistake launch both versions the same day and not delaying the release like they did for TP.

Zafir

I don't disagree, the reveal was very messy. When your customers still aren't sure exactly what features the product has and how things work a mere month or two before launch. You've fucked up.

"To prove it, here's a chart on how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will sell"
Irrelevant to this story. Not to backseat mod but can we keep the shitposting to the threads where charts are relevant instead of dismissing a pretty good editorial that happens to be from the same website?

Charts aside what's your opinion on the post?

weekev

Banned
As someone who is super hyped and getting a day 1 Switch, I agree the messaging has been absent. What's the UI like? (Outside of leaks) when does Snipperclips launch? What features will it have day 1? Come on Nintendo, get your shit together.

Betty

Banned
Is it possible to play the Switch online outside? Through a 3G or 4G network or something?

It would be great to have an eventual Rocket League to play on the go.

I think switch BOTW will outsell the Wii u version by a large margin when all is said and done.

yup. let's say switch launches with 2-3 million in march
attatch rate of zelda will be around 60-70%

that's 1.75 million-ish first months.
Even if WiiU matches that (which i doubt) it won't sell many copies anymore while the Switch will have all the Zelda legs.

SS is at maybe 3.5million?
don't think it's going to be close.

Shahadan

I got this feeling that the Wii U version will sell better than people realize. Not better than switch just to clarify.

Feel like theyre making a mistake launch both versions the same day and not delaying the release like they did for TP.

Well of course, Switch version can't physically sell more than 2 millions worldwide at first, so Wii U version will likely sell more.

In the end though probably the other way around.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They have a point.

It's bad enough they've created their last ditch console based on their biggest home console failure, but they're barely if at all improving the online functionality in a world where the online experience is a major part of what makes a console.

The fact that 2 weeks from launch they've showed nothing of the UI/Online is a legitimate concern.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
They really did need more games, even one extra medium/big title at launch would make a huge difference.

Is it possible to play the Switch online outside? Through a 3G or 4G network or something?

It would be great to have an eventual Rocket League to play on the go.
Omg Rocket League on Switch (PC crossplay?) while on the train is something I didn't know I needed.

Pretty sure if you put your phone into Hotspot mode on 4G the Switch wouldn't know the difference.

Branduil

They definitely aren't inspiring confidence with their online. However, that was only one of many problems with the Wii U, such as an empty library, unappealing hardware, confusing name and marketing, etc. The hardware and marketing for the Switch has been on point, and at the very least it should easily smoke the Wii U's 1st year for games. So while actually competent online could help them even more, I don't think their extremely questionable online will hurt them too much right now.

Famassu

Well, I'm waiting for a reason, and I've not done that for new Nintendo hardware since... Either the Gameboy colour or n64, whichever came out later (and I was a child then, so didn't have much choice!).

I am worried that this will be Wii U 2.0, though I hope it won't.
It won't be another Wii U 2.0. It's a handheld. It will be popular in Japan. That alone will propel it to a much bigger success than Wii U. That popularity will eventually transition all/most of the current 3DS support + Vita support from publishers pushing handheld content to Switch support. It might take a year or two but even if Switch starts off a bit weak, it can do a comeback much like 3DS did despite it having a very weak first 1-2 years.

And don't forget Switch is getting some form of Dragon Quest XI, possibly in 2017 already. That will drive sales in Japan and encourage increased support from at least Japanese developers.

Not to forget that Nintendo can start focusing on a single platform (they still support 3DS at the moment, but that support will start to fade in 2017-2018 as they start moving more & more of their teams to Switch and not to new 3DS projects anymore). I'd imagine that would lead to Nintendo's Switch support eventually being stronger than Wii U one since they don't have to divide their attention between two console-level platforms after some point.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the launch lineup being much stronger than the PS4 or Xbox One. Even then, for those consoles, there was a lot of "the launch games suck" posts. I think "weak" launches are something to expect from here on out.

Strong launches have been an exception to the rule for a very long time. OG DS is the second-best-selling system of all time and it went the better part of a year with nothing but an N64 port and glorified tech demos.

I'm honestly not very optimistic about the Switch's chances for success, but it's pretty clear that March is a soft-launch. Would probably be a good idea to wait until the holiday season until we pass verdict on it.

Nere

I think Nintendo's biggest mistake is not taking advantage of that huge library of theirs. Personally I would buy a switch day one even if there was a proper VC on launch, imagine playing resident evil 4 or metroid prime and more on the move but alas Nintendo doesn't get it or who knows. They lost a customer on day one and I am sure many other just because they don't want to deliver, then they complain because people emulate games like on dolphin, well it's not like you give us an opportunity.

singhr1

PS4 and Xbox One had some variety but the launch was not exactly great for either systems, neither had a game on the caliber of Breath of the Wild. Switch seems like it will be worth it from day 1.

Not if that game is already playable on Wii U...

geordiemp

They are right, just waiting for the inevitable attack on the messenger / writer - ad hominem defense

"To prove it, here's a chart on how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will sell"

too late. They have point, good marketing would use the gaming press to get their message over. Press have hardware now and still dont know - that says everything.

Top Bottom