• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo is already repeating the Wii U's mistakes with Switch

ksamedi

The same fantasy worlds where people take their Switch to work to play 4-player Mario Kart with their colleagues during lunch breaks every day.

I mean, I can't judge where these people work, but that's a straight up fantasy as well for any professional business i've worked at. At school I could see it.
Uuh its really not a fantasy at all and I plan to use this option very often.

As for the article, the Wii U just isnt in the same leauge as the Switch. They are on a different level of vision and appeal really. Nintendo asking for a paid online service is one indication of where this is going. Having better tools for developers and listening to them
In various ways just shows Nintendo does not want to repeat past mistakes. So the difference is not only in the sppeal of the Switch but also in strategy.

This thing is going to sell very well.

Have you? Video games should be the corner stone of any great party. 1 2 S is a modern Mario Party 2 combined with wii sports. You're just being a Nintendo hater.

lol you're going too far. Even for a joke :D

Thank you for your valued contribution. Groan.
He's right though. I'm not sure Polygon puts more effort into their articles.

Actually the discussion here is always more interesting. And it's the only thing that can, in a way, make these articles interesting.

Waji

Yeah they certainly didn't learn their lesson considering you need a smartphone to chat in game. The original Xbox had voice chat VIA their gamepad/headset and that came out over 15 years ago.

That isn't the only lesson not learned. The fact that the WiiU wasn't more powerful than the Xbox360 and PS3 was painfully obvious. Now here we are 5 years later and the Switch is still behind the times in the hardware race. That to me is the biggest problem with Nintendo ever since the Wii was released. They got lucky releasing an underpowered unit back then thanks to the motion control/casual gamer craze, however when they tried it again with the WiiU it was a major mistake and the sales were horrible as a result. There aren't many third party companies that will spend money making games for a console that 1) apparently is so hard to develop for and 2)ends up being a money losing venture due to the lack of power and inferior online service compared to Microsoft and Sony's consoles.

Lastly, original first party titles were few and far between on the WiiU and it looks like we'll be seeing the same for Switch (for the first year at least). Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a joke. Pretty much the same game as the WiiU beyond the improved battle mode (which should have been on the original game in the first place. Splatoon doesn't look a whole lost different from the original but they still are putting a 2 in the name.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but we could definitely be looking at the last home console Nintendo ever releases. They should have knocked the ball out of the park and released a system with significantly better specs than the PS4 Pro and Xbox One Scorpio, but instead they gambled on the gimmicky, lower powered hybrid device. Nintendo would have had to sell a super powered console at a loss initially much in the same way Sony did with the PS3 over 10 years ago, but look at how popular that system became. They were able to recoup their hardware losses and cash in on software sales.
Let's play : "find the smart sentences !"

I'm kidding, I'm not even sure there's one.

Malakai

That was also 10 years ago. Since then we have had a single additional Zelda game (on consoles) 5 years ago. That's 2 console Zelda games in a decade. The 2 games combined for about 12.26 million sales.

Be comparison Fallout 3 launched in 2008, with New Vegas in 2010, and Fallout 4 in 2015. Fallout 3 and 4 each did 12 million in sales. New Vegas doesn't have any solid sales numbers, but assuming it's even half, that means Fallout games are averaging ~10 million per game, while Zelda on consoles is averaging ~6 million--if we throw out NV it slants more heavily in Fallout's favor.

Zelda games are excellent games--but they aren't the kind of sales monsters people seem to think they are. Even Twilight Princess on the Wii--Nintendo's highest selling console--only moved ~7 million copies, against an install base of 101.63 million. Wind Waker HD gave the Wii U a slight bump, but in the end it only sold 2.11 million. The simple reality is that Zelda peaked on the N64 for a lot of people.

Why are you comparing a game sales of a game that is on three platform? One of those platforms that which those games typically can be had for $9.99 or less.

I got this feeling that the Wii U version will sell better than people realize. Not better than switch just to clarify.

Feel like theyre making a mistake launch both versions the same day and not delaying the release like they did for TP.

Launching exclusively on a system they can't meet demand for is just throwing money away. The TP example probably made them fully aware of this.

Marvel

could never
Have you? Video games should be the corner stone of any great party. 1 2 S is a modern Mario Party 2 combined with wii sports. You're just being a Nintendo hater.
C54xAi0.jpg

:lol. Not sure if serious.

TBH, most mid sized parties I went to in college with just friends had video games of some kind going on in the background at one point or another.

House parties with 90% strangers? Almost never.

It really depends on the type of party you are talking about.

The big college bar on campus actually had a N64 up all of the time. Lots of people playing drunk driver with MK64..pretty smart of the bar honestly lol.

Honestly a bad article. I get the point here but the implication that Wii U failed because it "didn't have a strong online platform" is nonsense.

Roo

Oh shit! Jax brought his stupid Nintendo thing to the party again?

Honestly a bad article. I get the point here but the implication that Wii U failed because it "didn't have a strong online platform" is nonsense.

Well it says more that it was a factor among many others, and this time around it will be even more important to get it right.

Knowing Nintendo this is exactly the stuff the always get wrong, and make irritating and inconvenient. And I think losing your games once again, going to the Switch, people are now use to PSN XBOX Live and Steam, carrying their digital locker of games.

Nintendo needs to get these things right. I will get a Switch, but I also expect it have those annoying Nintendo issues. Doubt their indie and retro game library will be that great or reasonably priced. They just seem to have ideological beliefs about the way business should be run, and part of that is a small measure of hostility towards its fans.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Oh, wow. How did I miss this? This is a gem.

Would you say that 1-2-Switch is the Citizen Kane of the party games?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i just opened and closed the polygon weblink 50 times.
just to make sure they keep making class a stuff

eeeh no

MisterR

You're embarrassing yourself in this thread. I hope you're not a grown man.

Top Bottom