• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon's Top 100 Games from 2010 to 2019. There is no God.

Vawn

Banned
I always disagree with "best of" lists, but this is bad on a completely different level.

You put Flappy Bird on the list and you still expect me to visit your website for videogame information?

Last edited:
Games media and indie games summarized in one GIF.
giphy.gif

This should be renamed "top 100 worst games of the century". I won't even bother trying to fix this list, it's hopeless. It's like they put 100 names in a hat, and blindly picked a random number for each one. :messenger_fearful:

BOTW at number 2? Fucking lolololol. that shit is in the 30s by my account.

the only thing in that top 10 that looks right is minecraft and Witcher 3.. lolol.

They had to throw that in there to prove the legitimacy of this list. Otherwise they would suffer the wrath of billions rabid Zelda fanboys upon them. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

eot

Banned
I know we always complain about lists, but this one is particularly bad. Btw, Kentucky Route Zero is not even fully released yet. Also, to pick a random game to complain about, Sea of Thieves at 48?

Kokoloko85

Lol polygon..... after seeing that its safe to say i dont care about their opinions on games anymore.
I mean kim kardashian is in the top 90 games of all time....

Saruhashi

Banned
Stupid list that actually serves to point out the complete idiocy of Polygon.

First of all, 100 games is TOO MANY for a best of the decade list.
This allows for 10 games from each year and it's just too much.
Almost immediately you are watering down the "best of the best" with stuff that's pretty good but not the absolute top tier.
Top 10 games of the decade gives you a much narrower focus and encourages much better discussion.

Secondly, the games on the list are WAY too diverse to properly make any kind of sensible comparison that can then lead to a sensible ranking.
For example, how you take "Pokemon GO" and then put it alongside "Dark Souls" and then alongside "Firewatch" and then say "OK this one is better and this one is MUCH better". There is no solid footing for any comparison of these types of games.
Why not go for top 10 RPGs of the decade? Or top 10 platform games of the decade? It makes more sense and if the point is to spark discussion then it's a better discussion.

Plus you've got their stupid political pandering in the list but not to the extent that it dominates the list.
100 - Virginia. "This is a game that’s just two hours long, and features no dialogue, yet it has more to say than the vast majority of 40-hour games. Virginia explores how women in the workplace are undermined by patriarchal power structures, including divide-and-conquer strategies. It’s a work of creative courage that tells a deeply engaging story about friendship, loyalty, betrayal, and identity. It’s also a valuable example of how, in the last few years, game developers have embraced complex political and social issues."

OK but you've got this sitting a hilarious 90 points behind Fortnite on your list. Fucksakes.

I love how they try to throw a few controversial curve balls to "get people taklking" but honestly I think it just creates poor quality discussion because you are putting an unreleased game, Death Stranding, at number 53 on your list. Almost nobody has played the thing so how can there be any support or rebuttal for it's place at spot 53.

Surely games need to at least be out and fully playable for a few months before people can decide where it sits in relation to a decades worth of games.

Their top 10 is just a shambles.
You are seriously telling me that after an entire decade of videogames the best 10 are:
Minecraft
Breath of the Wild (which is one of my personal all time greats but whatever)
Spelunky
Kentucky Route Zero.
Pokémon GO.
League of Legends.
P.T.
Dark Souls.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Fortnite Battle Royale.

I think only BotW, Witcher and Dark Souls are genuine contenders for a "best of the decade" list there.

So I guess it's been a pretty poor decade for gaming then.

P.T. isn't even a fucking full game!
They have a PLAYABLE TEASER at number 7 in their best games of the entire DECADE.

Archive: For those who don't want to give them clicks.

In case you don't want to read the article, here's the god awful list:
  1. Minecraft.
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
  3. Spelunky.
  4. Kentucky Route Zero.
  5. Pokémon GO.
  6. League of Legends.
  7. P.T.
  8. Dark Souls.
  9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
  10. Fortnite Battle Royale.
  11. PUBG.
  12. Return of the Obra Dinn.
  13. Gone Home.
  14. Super Mario 3D World.
  15. Everthing.
  16. Nier: Automata.
  17. Persona 4 Golden.
  18. Her Story.
  19. Overwatch.
  20. Journey.
  21. CS: GO.
  22. Stardew Valley.
  23. Rocket League.
  24. Towerfall.
  25. Outer Wilds.
  26. Dishonored 2.
  27. DOOM.
  28. Portal 2.
  29. Florence.
  30. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.
  31. Bloodborne.
  32. Divinity: Original Sin 2.
  33. Kerbal Space Program.
  34. Tetris Effect.
  35. Read Dead Redemption Collection.
  36. Titanfall 2.
  37. Destiny 2.
  38. God of War.
  39. Firewatch.
  40. Celeste.
  41. NBA 2K12.
  42. The Works of Michael Brough.
  43. SuperHOT.
  44. Thumper.
  45. FIFA 17.
  46. Fallout: New Vegas.
  47. DOTA 2 Auto Chess.
  48. No Man's Sky.
  49. Sea of Thieves.
  50. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
  51. Limbo/Inside.
  52. Undertale.
  53. Death Stranding.
  54. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
  55. Hollow Knight.
  56. Into the Breach.
  57. Civilization VI.
  58. Subsurface Circular.
  59. The Last of Us.
  60. Bayonetta 2.
  61. Frog Fractions.
  62. Super Street Fighter IV.
  63. The Jackbox Party Pack 1-6.
  64. Johann Sebastian Joust.
  65. GTA Online.
  66. Doki Doki Literature Club.
  67. Universal Paperclips.
  68. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
  69. The Witness.
  70. Diablo III.
  71. Warframe.
  72. Mass Effect 2.
  73. Mario Kart 8.
  74. Two Dots.
  75. Beat Saber.
  76. Gravity Rush 2.
  77. Gorogoa.
  78. The Stanley Parable.
  79. Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
  80. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13.
  81. Oxenfree.
  82. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen.
  83. Papers, Please.
  84. Flappy Bird.
  85. FTL: Faster Than Light.
  86. Kim Kardashian: Hollywood.
  87. Control.
  88. Monster Hunter: World.
  89. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.
  90. Resident Evil 7.
  91. Telltale's The Walking Dead.
  92. Device 6.
  93. Total War: Three Kingdoms.
  94. What Remains of Edith Finch.
  95. Cuphead.
  96. Super Mario Maker.
  97. Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
  98. Slay the Spire.
  99. Life is Strange.
  100. Virginia.

Kentucky Route Zero at number 4. I get it, the list is entirely subjective and really any game could be on there and hide behind the defence of "well WE liked it, it's our opinion" cause this is just a useless fluff article.

But Kentucky Route Zero at number 4? Out of the thousands of games released in those years it was Kentucky Route Zero that stood above 99% of them. Wild.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
This list is definitely trolling:

Kim Kardashian: Hollywood ahead of:

Control, Monster Hunter: World, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Resident Evil 7, What Remains of Edith Finch, Cuphead, Super Mario Maker, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Slay the Spire?

How can that no-talent ass-clown even have a game, let alone a piece of shit, on this list?

Bkdk

Isn’t bad, I just read top 20 and only disagree half of it, mainly those walking simulators + Minecraft and Pokémon go , certainly not a disaster list.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This list is definitely trolling:

Kim Kardashian: Hollywood ahead of:

Control, Monster Hunter: World, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Resident Evil 7, What Remains of Edith Finch, Cuphead, Super Mario Maker, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Slay the Spire?

How can that no-talent ass-clown even have a game, let alone a piece of shit, on this list?

It's also ahead of my 3 favoite games this gen, because they didn't even make this shitty list:
Quantum Break
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gears 5

Quantum Break was not well received critically so I can kind of see that it wouldn't make a lot of top whatever lists, I still love it.
OTOH Gears and HZD were both very well received and reviewed, but darn I guess they just aren't nearly as good as fatass Kardashian.

Polygon googled "What is popular right now?" and got that.

Never heard of Number 4 and FIFA 17??? I am guessing they just chose the highest rated FIFA.

Naibel

"Best-of" lists have always been pure and utter clickbait trash made to rile up people, but this one takes the cake !
They're not even hiding the trolling, it's like they did it as a parody ! I'm not even mad or angry, it's just too damn hilarious ! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Props to Polygon if they did it on purpose just to get easy clicks. Can't say I'm so sure of that though...

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I think it would be better off that instead of an entire staff coming up with the greatest of all time or past decade or whatever, they instead let each staff member pick their top 10 personal favorites and a blurb about which one got picked and why they picked it.

That’s all these lists are really about anyway: personal favorites.

Now if the list was about most influential or most ground breaking, I can see a cumulative approach being taken.

Shrap

Finally something I can get behind. A list by hardcore gamers for hardcore gamers. This is what it's all about.

KIm Kardashian mobile game? Check
Her story? Check
Gone Home? Check
Pokemon Go? Check

They even have a teaser and an unfinished game in the top 10 with PT and Kentucky Route Zero. The works of Michael Brough is a great title, even if it sounds like a bunch of crappy experiments by one guy that Polygon namedropped to sound informed and arty. Don't let the 69 metascore or Polygon's 6.5 fool you - Sea of Thieves is without a doubt in the top 50 best of the last 10 years. Can't forget those classic party games like Jackbox and Johann Sebastian Joust to really bring out the best in a decade of gaming.

It's all here. I've undoubtedly missed a bunch of absolute bangers but this is the kind of list I've been waiting for. It might look like a random mess thrown together, but believe me - this is the real deal. True video game journalistis put this badboy together and it shows.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Polygon a byword for shitty journalism.
Are they actually trying to tell us Pokemon GO a f****g mobile game and a few indie games with the depth a thin paper are better than the likes of Witcher 3, bloodborne, God of War, Portal 2 and Divinity original sin 2 ?

The Alien

Banned
I wanna be surprised at the overall shittiness of this list.

Then I remember it's from a 'gaming journalism's website.

(Also, sorry OP, but those periods at the end of each game title are driving me crazy.) Lol.

yurinka

Both the games selected and specially their order doesn't make sense. Obviously everyone has its own taste, but let's say mine is super different to Polygon.

Top Bottom