• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony Digital website revamped; Sales data updated to September 2015

ps3ud0

Seems GT6 suffered due to GT5 not really being the GT people wanted (guess weve had recent examples with AC:Syndicate and Halo 5). Did GT6 get delayed or was it always expected to release so late?

It was a game that was just so easy to ignore because of how late it came out

Is GT Sport really GT7? For some reason I thought it was just a bigger slice than the normal prologue rather than a fully fleshed out GT. Guess Sony really havent said much for me to latch onto it...

ps3ud0 8)

stryke

Seems GT6 suffered due to GT5 not really being the GT people wanted (guess weve had recent examples with AC:Syndicate and Halo 5). Did GT6 get delayed or was it always expected to release so late?

It was a game that was just so easy to ignore because of how late it came out

ps3ud0 8)

I don't think it was delayed. Just unprepared for how quick the audience has migrated, not to mentioned just getting lost in the fanfare of new consoles.

KZObsessed

So last gen Polyphony shipped over 26.5 million units of software. Very impressive.

I remember reading an article on kotaku saying it's time Sony shut down polyphony after GT5 was delayed or something. Insanely shortsighted.

timlot

Banned
Sooo, Grand Turismo 6 ships Dec 2013 on systems with an (at the time around 40+ million) U.S install base and doesn't make the NPD top ten in its debut month. But, some how it continue to be sold over the next 2 years. Hmm, you mean to tell me that a game that didn't sell well initially wasn't taken off the market, but was continually sold and is now at almost 5M. Sucks that same thing can't be said about games on a certain platform. I hear games sells on this platform only matter the first month of its launch. After that its repeated ad nauseum as flop, even a year or more after its debut. Interesting...

Jigorath

Banned
Huge missed opportunity not to port GT6 from PS3 to PS4. It did very well for TLOU and Tomb Raider DE.

Still, it's well above that 2m that "leaked" a while ago.

stryke

Sooo, Grand Turismo 6 ships Dec 2013 on systems with an (at the time around 40+ million) U.S install base and doesn't make the NPD top ten in its debut month. But, some how it continue to be sold over the next 2 years. Hmm, you mean to tell me that a game that didn't sell well initially wasn't taken off the market, but was continually sold and is now at almost 5M. Sucks that same thing can't be said about games on a certain platform. I hear games sells on this platform only matter the first month of its launch. After that its repeated ad nauseum as flop, even a year or more after its debut. Interesting...

my god, cry me a river

Also worth pointing out that they're expanding outside of Japan

CulJiYQ.png

ps3ud0

I don't think it was delayed. Just unprepared for how quick the audience has migrated, not to mentioned just getting lost in the fanfare of new consoles.
Cheers

Well thats bonkers then, seems a poor decision to target then and not have some GTA5-like idea for next-gen.

ps3ud0 8)

Jigorath

Banned

The vast vast majority of Gran Turismo's sales come from Europe.

Can you really say the same about Halo?

HardRojo

Wow, I had no idea GT PSP had sold that much. Also, seems like GT6 sold moderately well, even if not as high as GT5.

Ray Down

Banned

Trying too hard it got him a ban.

notaskwid

GT 6 is like 20€ retail price, it sells good based on the name of the franchise, but I don't think anyone will be calling it a success. Also, most sales come from Europe.
EDIT - nevermind, banned. lol

Dat GT5 nearing 12 million.
GT6 did in line to what I imagined it to sell. Now if only PD could release some more information about GT Sport.

nib95

Banned
GT6 sold 5 million? Wat. I was under the impression the number was closer to 2.5 million…Still a huge drop off compared to the previous game, but not the kind I had in mind.

The secret is be like Nintendo and only release one per gen. Look how insane those numbers are for GT1, GT3, and GT5. Wowza.

I wish racing games could reach that "Rock Band" status and just be a platform, and make cool car expansion packs. DriveClub is like that I guess, but I prefer sim style.

And I have no idea what to expect of GT Sport still..

Damn the sale of 6 are terrible in comparison to the rest of the series, then again die hard fans as myself didn't bother to buy 6 since we got a PS4 at launch and we were waiting for a port at least.

God damn it Sony you can't do anything right when it comes to your first party games, specially the japanese ones. I am not going to wait 2 more years for GT7, and don't try to tell me Sports is all you are going to release because then I may as well just get an X1 since at least MS release Forza on a timely manner.

At the very least, these numbers suggest to me that GT is still capable of pulling massive numbers and it was all just the launch timing.

Can't wait to see the crazy numbers GT on PS4 pulls.

The secret is be like Nintendo and only release one per gen. Look how insane those numbers are for GT1, GT3, and GT5. Wowza.

I wish racing games could reach that "Rock Band" status and just be a platform, and make cool car expansion packs. DriveClub is like that I guess, but I prefer sim style.

And I have no idea what to expect of GT Sport still..

GT4 sold more than GT1 and GT2 wasn't far behind GT1 in sales, so that theory doesn't really pan out.

Curufinwe

Damn the sale of 6 are terrible in comparison to the rest of the series, then again die hard fans as myself didn't bother to buy 6 since we got a PS4 at launch and we were waiting for a port at least.

God damn it Sony you can't do anything right when it comes to your first party games, specially the japanese ones. I am not going to wait 2 more years for GT7, and don't try to tell me Sports is all you are going to release because then I may as well just get an X1 since at least MS release Forza on a timely manner.

Pumping out Forza games sure is working great for MS.

It will sell more, they said.

The install base is huge, they said.

Nothing to do with that. It allowed them to reuse a lot of the existing work and make an entirely new game out of it without working to port it across to PS4 in time for launch. Cynical? Maybe, but they probably made a ton of money back on it.

Top Bottom