• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony Digital website revamped; Sales data updated to September 2015

ethomaz

Banned
GT6 and GT5 sales should be swapped :/

(I thought GT6 was more well-done than GT5 though I don't know what the common consensus is. (Also I didn't play much of either 5 or 6))
GT5 is a bigger and better game.
GT6 is a cut GT5 with some new and nice features.

GT6 made me miss GT5 a lot.

GT5 is a truly masterpiece.

1289818071720p5.jpg

Gran Turismo PSP did pretty well. Shame they didn't do Gran Turismo Vita.

I'm surprised there wasn't a GT6 Vita port. I know people kinda expected it for PS4, but as Y2Kev mentioned, the engine was probably old and garbage and they needed to hit the reset button there. A port to PSV made sense to me, but I'm thinking the effort to get it running at an acceptable framerate and graphics were probably too high.

I'm surprised there wasn't a GT6 Vita port. I know people kinda expected it for PS4, but as Y2Kev mentioned, the engine was probably old and garbage and they needed to hit the reset button there. A port to PSV made sense to me, but I'm thinking the effort to get it running at an acceptable framerate and graphics were probably too high.

GT6 struggled to run on the PS3. I can't even imagine what it would be like on the Vita.

Damn GT6 bombed by GT standard. :\ I didn't buy it either though. Will be there day 1 for GTSport, but I don't know if a non numbered GT game will sell as much as a mainline GT game. I suspect GTSport will probably only sell 5-7 million next year. It would be wise if they actually release it during summer time like mid June right after E3. Though knowing them, they will release it in November. -_-

Alo0oy

Banned
One thing that people aren't noticing is that the franchise sold approximately 1.5 million between March 2015 & September. So it's still trucking along even on dead hardware.

Damn GT6 bombed by GT standard. :\ I didn't buy it either though. Will be there day 1 for GTSport, but I don't know if a non numbered GT game will sell as much as a mainline GT game. I suspect GTSport will probably only sell 5-7 million next year. It would be wise if they actually release it during summer time like mid June right after E3. Though knowing them, they will release it in November. -_-

That would be stupid, Gran Turismo belongs in the holidays, Gran Turismo sometimes outperforms even CoD & FIFA in the holiday weeks in Europe, including Christmas week, releasing GT Sport in the Summer would be dumb. Gran Turismo doesn't "run away" from big AAA releases, it's the other way around.

Jigolo

Wow pretty cool for GT6, surprised it sold that much. I still don't quite understand exactly what GT Sport is.

One thing that people aren't noticing is that the franchise sold approximately 1.5 million between March 2015 & September. So it's still trucking along even on dead hardware.

That would be stupid, Gran Turismo belongs in the holidays, Gran Turismo sometimes outperforms even CoD & FIFA in the holiday weeks in Europe, including Christmas week, releasing GT Sport in the Summer would be dumb. Gran Turismo doesn't "run away" from big AAA releases, it's the other way around.
It's not a mainline GT though.

Memento

Almost 5 million for GT6. Great numbers considering the clusterfuck of launching it during the PS4 hype and poor marketing.

Also much better than some Gaffers predictions here.

farisr

Good to see GT6 at nearly 5 million. It's pretty impressive after all the things it had going against it.

Launching less than a month after 2 next-gen consoles just came out. Competing franchise already having released a next-gen version of the game. Rumors of a next-gen port for GT6.

I know quite a few people who held off/didn't buy GT6 because of these reasons, including me.

CLEEK

It outsold the entire Forza franchise to date.

Gran Turismo 6, which is the biggest flop in the series still outsold the last 4 Forza games combined as well.

Best wishes.

Whoa. I've never paid attention to Forza sales, but figured they were decent for MS to put so much focus on it, and for it to get so many iterations. I guess GT obliterating Forza in sales comes down to MS not aiming the Xbox outside of the US market.

I've found it interesting that the first numbered GT in each console gen sells much better than the same-console numbered sequel. That's been my feelings for the entire series. Loved and played the ever living fuck out of the first ones, then the sequel underwhelms and only gets a fraction of the playtime.

Whoa. I've never paid attention to Forza sales, but figured they were decent for MS to put so much focus on it, and for it to get so many iterations. I guess GT obliterating Forza in sales comes down to MS not aiming the Xbox outside of the US market.

I've found it interesting that the first numbered GT in each console gen sells much better than the same-console numbered sequel. That's been my feelings for the entire series. Loved and played the ever living fuck out of the first ones, then the sequel underwhelms and only gets a fraction of the playtime.
6 was the first one I've personally skipped, and that's just because of the launch timing. For a lot of people though, I imagine "the first one" is all they really need to last them the generation. It's not like you really ever finish a GT game; better ones just come out eventually.

Oh man. GT Sport has the opportunity to become the best selling in the franchise. Not that I think it will happen, but since the PS4 is selling like hot cakes... the chance is there.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh man. GT Sport has the opportunity to become the best selling in the franchise. Not that I think it will happen, but since the PS4 is selling like hot cakes... the chance is there.

It's not gonna hit 15 million, GT3 sold that much when the US market bought the franchise.

I can see it do as well as GT5 though (not including prologue of course).

malyce

The most interesting thing on that chart is GT5 being the second largest GT game in the franchise on the lowest selling PS console at a time where the PS brand was at its lowest. And we had people saying that GT was no longer what it used to be. The demographic span of GT is ridiculous. With the wave Sony is enjoying right now, I expect GT7 to sell as much as GT5, and Sport to do a bit better than 5 prologue. I think PD is gonna move to one main game per gen.

black070

I expect the next main entry on the PS4 to be its best selling exclusive by a mile. Uncharted 4 should sell butt loads, but Gran Turismo numbers will be significantly higher.

Top Bottom