• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Pop-Fiction"- a new Gametrailers show (Mythbusters for gaming!)

I feel old. This latest one is a pretty well-known myth and those that owned MK should and must know about this. The easiest way of facing reptile in Genesis version is using the cheat code "DULLARD". One thing that I would've love to see them show is the various variations of Reptile, particularly Sonya. Yes, there are various versions of Reptile.

Oh and to top this off, in MK2 you are able to fight Noob Saibot, Smoke and Jade. ALSO, if you win 200 times you get to play Pong. ALSO: There is a cheat where you can kill someone the very first round using Kung Lao's hat throw and it'll result in fatality. What a fantastic series with loads of easter eggs!

shagg_187 said:
I feel old. This latest one is a pretty well-known myth and those that owned MK should and must know about this. The easiest way of facing reptile in Genesis version is using the cheat code "DULLARD". One thing that I would've love to see them show is the various variations of Reptile, particularly Sonya. Yes, there are various versions of Reptile.

Oh and to top this off, in MK2 you are able to fight Noob Saibot, Smoke and Jade. ALSO, if you win 200 times you get to play Pong. ALSO: There is a cheat where you can kill someone the very first round using Kung Lao's hat throw and it'll result in fatality. What a fantastic series with loads of easter eggs!

Yeah the different versions of Reptile was accomplished by pressing start on controller 2 when you were fighting Reptile, if I remember correctly. You'd be returned to the character select screen but all the characters would have a weird green glitched look to them. Didn't carry over to the gameplay though, just the character select screen.

The MK2 ones I know about, except for the Kung Lao hat one, is that true?

The new video isn't playing for me, gametrailers always has some kind of video playback problem.

*edit* watched it, interesting how he was found in the arcade version but i'm rather sure I have fought him in the genesis title back when I use to rent it, and that fight at the bottom of the pit, brings back some nostalgia memories.

TheYanger

Reptile myth? was this even a myth? I mean...he jumps down and gives you clues. What a cop out to try and pass this off as anything other than completely blatant and common knowledge. The real MK1 'myth' to conquer is Ermac, and the odds of them finding anything there are basically 0 so...

Anyone that legitimately thinks this episode qualifies must've just never even played the game. It'd be like if the Chris Houlihan room had little clues scattered all around "Try to find my room! - C H" or something, when they tell you it's there it's not exactly a secret, as much as it may be a cool trick or something that was challenging.

There's not a lot they can do with gamer culture, unless they start doing stupid rumours, like beating every character in SF2 with constant perfect to face Shen Long.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
TheYanger said:
Reptile myth? was this even a myth? I mean...he jumps down and gives you clues. What a cop out to try and pass this off as anything other than completely blatant and common knowledge. The real MK1 'myth' to conquer is Ermac, and the odds of them finding anything there are basically 0 so...

Anyone that legitimately thinks this episode qualifies must've just never even played the game. It'd be like if the Chris Houlihan room had little clues scattered all around "Try to find my room! - C H" or something, when they tell you it's there it's not exactly a secret, as much as it may be a cool trick or something that was challenging.

Ermac Who?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The Master Hand thing is incredible. Truly the stuff of myth and legend turning out to be true!

Reptile episode is a cop-out though. They should've covered something to do with ERMAC instead.

Dead Man Typing said:
Yeah the different versions of Reptile was accomplished by pressing start on controller 2 when you were fighting Reptile, if I remember correctly. You'd be returned to the character select screen but all the characters would have a weird green glitched look to them. Didn't carry over to the gameplay though, just the character select screen.

The MK2 ones I know about, except for the Kung Lao hat one, is that true?

Yeah it is. I don't remember exactly but I fucking messed around the game ALOT! There were so many debug options in MK2, it's not even funny. In the cheat, you have to change some settings in cheat mode, play as Kung Lao and not use a particular button or a particular move. Win the match with (I think. Not sure) no damage and perform a fatality, and the next time you take Kung lao, throw the hat and the opponent will die instantly.

Let me see if I can google it.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXfB5JbwtVk

There are many other cheats, like 2 hat throw fatalities, three head Johnny Cage uppercut fatalities, Shang Tsung turning into Kintaro fatality, etc etc. Brilliant fucking game!!

Mikey Jr.

Mehhh, everyone knows she cant be revived. There was no real excitement for me this episode. Well, atleast they covered it.

ZealousD said:
Next episode should be about Mew in Pokemon R/B/Y
Yup. God damn so many heated debates as a kid.
It'd be interesting to get interviews with the developers to actually put stuff to rest.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Goldeneye was soooooooooooooooo full of fun bugs, interesting glitches and myths. I'm glad one of them was covered by the show, even if it turned out to not be what I was expecting.

elohel

Oni Jazar said:
Let me rephrase the question. When are they going to accept the fact that iPhone/iPad won't support flash and make a site/app that can let them watch vids?

They already do they stream mp4s

plufim

I suspect they might have just dug up a copy with all the missions and cheats already done.

At least I hope so, because damn that'd be a lot of work.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
RevenantKioku said:
Wait. What?
I found the Chris Houlihan room as a kid, and it always kind of made no sense to me, but that is definitely not where I found it. I can't remember exactly, but it was in the lower left portion of the world.
Well, the room is supposdly just a failsafe for when the game fails to load the actual room you should be entering.

Goldeneye was filled with strange stuff that didn't really do anything. I remember killing the General in Silo (which isn't supposed to happen) and you get a briefcase and some disk. Neither of them do anything. I also remember something strange in Train, I think you got it if you killed Xena and the General before the door closed.

Tkawsome said:
Goldeneye was filled with strange stuff that didn't really do anything. I remember killing the General in Silo (which isn't supposed to happen) and you get a briefcase and some disk. Neither of them do anything. I also remember something strange in Train, I think you got it if you killed Xena and the General before the door closed.

Killing/shooting Oroumov and Xena (or whatever way you spell those names) is essential in getting the silver PPK. You get quite a few additional seconds to burn away that pesky hatch on the floor if you manage to shoot them before the wall comes down.

LiK said:

WTF!? How do people figure this shit out?

Oh shit a trainer wants to fight me! I'm gonna fly away!

Haha! I got away! Oh let me battle another one for the hell of it!

Now I want to immediately fly away!

You know what I feel like backtracking to Route 88 and SHIT! An encounter! I gotta fly away!

Holy shit! MEW!

LiK

Flying_Phoenix said:
WTF!? How do people figure this shit out?

Oh shit a trainer wants to fight me! I'm gonna fly away!

Haha! I got away! Oh let me battle another one for the hell of it!

Now I want to immediately fly away!

You know what I feel like backtracking to Route 88 and SHIT! An encounter! I gotta fly away!

Holy shit! MEW!

yea, how the hell did someone figure this one out? it's so random. :lol

IIRC, the "legit Mew" trick was only figured out in something like 2002 or 2003, when the GBA games were already out.

They figured it out not by chance, but by looking at the game's code and how it loaded things into memory. It manipulates the game into thinking that Mew is queued up in memory for a random encounter.

Cday

Banned
There are two different ways to get mew in the game. The one they used and one involving the Gold Nugget bridge. Also the part where they talked about not having the cut ability and you have to find a pokemon with cut ruined this. It's clear they know nothing about pokemans in the first place.

Seda

Cday said:
There are two different ways to get mew in the game. The one they used and one involving the Gold Nugget bridge. Also the part where they talked about not having the cut ability and you have to find a pokemon with cut ruined this. It's clear they know nothing about pokemans in the first place.

That's the one I was familiar with. I guess if the code can be manipulated in many ways.

Top Bottom