• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Pop-Fiction"- a new Gametrailers show (Mythbusters for gaming!)

shaowebb

This is a pretty fun show, but some of these myths I've debunked myself and never really considered that mythical. I thought everyone knew about aeris, the pole, reptile and Banjo stop n swap already.

I need to hit them with some real myths to test.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mungular said:
absolutely love this series!
Indeed. OP updated and I fixed the links for the other shows.

Man, I wonder how long it takes them to make these shows. It would seem like an awful lot of work to do.

LiK

chubigans said:
Indeed. OP updated and I fixed the links for the other shows.

Man, I wonder how long it takes them to make these shows. It would seem like an awful lot of work to do.

all that testing and research and we only get a few minutes. must be pretty brutal.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Funshine said:
These episodes are great, but I wish they came out faster =x
If they retain the quality that most of these episodes have, they can take their time with it. This weeks episode was seriously fantastic. Really good stuff.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I don't get it? They say the music was removed before it was released? But my cart had the chants...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The version that has it removed was finished before the first version made it to store shelfs. Don't forget, it took months to produce N64 carts. The main reason for the different version was bug fixes.

Takao

Banned
Ermac said:
I don't get it? They say the music was removed before it was released? But my cart had the chants...

The first wave of carts apparently have the chant with a certification date well before. The thing is, the second wave (released long after the first), the ones without the chant, have a certification date before the first wave was released to stores, meaning it wasn't public backlash that caused the removal.

maharg

idspispopd
faceless007 said:
Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible that date refers to something other than the completion date?

It's pretty unlikely to be anything other than the software build date.

It could potentially not be inclusive of the art/music assets. They could have been added as a post-build step. But probably their build included integration of assets.

I always thought the chanting just seemed out of place. After hearing gorons go "Grrrrruew?" 50 billion times, the thought of them doing gregorian-style or arabic-style chanting in their spare time just didn't seem right.

Xdrive05

There's a ton more they could do with OoT. The most obvious is probably the "triforce can be acquired" one.

You think they'd do a more "meta" game related one? Polybius.

petethepanda said:
Pretty much all the "myths" have been widely known about for years but I still enjoy the way they present the videos. Nice series.
I dunno, as someone who has found this well put together but predictable, I was genuinely intrigued by this episode.

Stylo

I thought that was great installment! It was great to hear more about the Fire Temple's chant. Using the debug room to uncover the detail about the song before the game was released was pretty clever.

pakkit

Banned
big_z said:
are there examples of what was changed in zack and wiki?
Mmmhmm.

In one of Zack & Wiki's prerelease videos, there was footage of a level where Zack had to carefully navigate a bridge while the savages in the area were praying. They were obviously kiddie cartoon baddies, but their call to prayer was the actual Muslim call to prayer.

Here's the video.

Someone noticed it and tipped off NoGintendo, and the story was then picked up by other blogs and eventually a Muslim group, and in a little over a week Capcom released a statement confirming it had removed the audio, and it was a mistake.

Here: /viewstory.php?id=21676

and here: /viewstory.php?id=22239

And the rest was history!

Full disclosure: I was the one that send the tip to NoGintendo.

faceless007 said:
What I want to know is how the hell did anyone discover that ridiculous code to get to the debug menu.
I'd say brute force method, about a week of time and a case of Shasta is what it took.

Anth0ny

Great episode. How people discovered the debug menu while using the crooked cart method I'll never know.

Takao said:
The first wave of carts apparently have the chant with a certification date well before. The thing is, the second wave (released long after the first), the ones without the chant, have a certification date before the first wave was released to stores, meaning it wasn't public backlash that caused the removal.

Then what caused the removal? All I could think of is Nintendo being afraid of public backlash, and deciding to change the music/crescent moon before that could even happen... but they came to this realization after they already printed the initial carts. Weird.

maharg

idspispopd
Anth0ny said:
Then what caused the removal? All I could think of is Nintendo being afraid of public backlash, and deciding to change the music/crescent moon before that could even happen... but they came to this realization after they already printed the initial carts. Weird.

They don't stop QA when they send a game off to get manufactured. Especially with carts where that point is weeks before the actual release. They might find a problem actually worth recalling the batch and delaying the release.

They clearly didn't think this one was worth doing that for, though.

Izayoi

Banned
Man, I love those glitches where the character gets bugged out and the music goes all distorted. Never happens anymore it seems like, but that stuff always creeped me out when I was a kid. In a good way.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Anth0ny said:
Great episode. How people discovered the debug menu while using the crooked cart method I'll never know.

Sometimes it can happen by accident I guess. One time I accessed the cheat menu to Sonic 3D Blast by accidentally hitting the game cart.

CoilShot

Great episode.

faceless007 said:
What I want to know is how the hell did anyone discover that ridiculous code to get to the debug menu.

This is something I never understood either. Its a very long and complex code too.

faceless007 said:
As someone else stated it was possibly some brute force but I have to wonder if it's something that could have been found through reading a hex editor or something similar? I did some Wikipedia checking on dates and I know the Nintendo 64 had emulators the same year the debug code was first released (May of 1999, if the internet is correct) so in all likelihood someone could have dug through the game in a hex editor to find the prompts for the debug code? Admittedly I've never tried anything like that so perhaps that's not remotely possible.

I just find it really hard to believe that a code so random could be figured out from pure brute force. Heh, mainly I'm just trying to rationalize how it could be found without some dude sitting in his room for hours jamming button combinations and then trying to remember which buttons he pressed prior to actually getting the screen to pop up.

The website where the debug code was originally unveiled still looks like it was spawned from the pits of Geocities and comes with oodles of typos.

The Odyssey of Hyrule's Video Gamer X's Debug Code

Myriadis

Ah yes,the debug screens.I did that countless times.The Majoras Mask one is even better,doesn't need such a big button combination and the last debug page says congratulates you for being a great debugger.

One of the next episodes should be about the hidden melody in the result screen music in Mario Kart 64.

faceless007 said:
I don't know if this was the sole person to do it, but the video says "an insider" told them how to do it.

maharg

idspispopd
The controller part of the debug code was probably an open secret. Game testers would have had access to it. Much like cheat codes of old.

I'm positive the Ocarina of Time debug code was leaked by former NOA product testers, as were most of the cool debug codes for Nintendo games over the years. I'm just not sure how people figured out the crooked cartridge part of the equation.

I really hope that Nintendo does an Iwata Asks for Ocarina of Time 3D and covers the development history of the original N64 game.

Seda

My response before and after:

GT: Muslimeqse chants removed from original OOT!
Me: Ya I know.
GT: Before the initial release!
Me: Wait, wuh?

maharg

idspispopd
TSA said:
I'm positive the Ocarina of Time debug code was leaked by former NOA product testers, as were most of the cool debug codes for Nintendo games over the years. I'm just not sure how people figured out the crooked cartridge part of the equation.

Eh, that's the easy part. Yanking a cart out while the game is in operation is as likely as not to cause the game to crash (true of any cart based game). The 'code' is there to break into debug mode in the event of a crash.

Sir Pant

Interesting, I had heard about the chants being removed, but never actually heard the "chant-less" music (I guess I have an early cartridge). The Fire-Temple wouldn't be the same without the chants, honestly. It creates such an eerie environment to the temple, making it one of my favorites in the game.

Everyone has always attributed it to the "Muslim" wording in the chants, but this seems to prove that Nintendo either had a ton of fore-sight, or it was a coincidence. Wonder if we'll ever know?

Oh wow, i get two episodes in one day, nice!

Also lol at that zack and wiki one. They straight up scream "allahu akbar"
At least the other ones are bit more vague.

Top Bottom