• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope will dine with homeless, not politicians after addressing Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
Is Francis reigniting the American Right's old anti-Catholicism?

kkk.jpg

anti-catholic-school-cartoon-wikimediacommons.jpg

nast_promised_land.jpg

That'd be interesting because about half of the Catholic population in the US identifies as Republican right? They're not as big as the Evangelical movement but their presence in the Republican Party is still significant.

Opiate

I like how climate change is a "political position." Evolution is a "political position" too, I suppose.

Anything is political if you want it to be. If you infuse meaning in inflatable rubber duckies and consider them important and an article of faith, then of course anyone who suggests that rubber duckies are simply pieces of rubber will be taking a "political position."

It's only political because you have politicized it. There is nothing inherently political about rubber duckies, about evolution, or about climate change. Rubber duckies exist and are me of rubber, evolution happens and we are a product of it, and climate change is occurring. Facts should not be political positions; they are simply observations of reality.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If the Pope keeps talking about climate change and helping the poor and such, Rush Limbaugh's going to convert to Islam.

Is there a reason why there's hatred from some Conservatives towards the Pope? I seen some comments from some of them on sites and I'm surprised to be honest, since I assumed that Conservatives would like him due to him being a Christian.

I haven't been doing a lot of research on Pope Francis, other than him agreeing with scientists with regards to climate change.

Valhelm

contribute something
That'd be interesting because about half of the Catholic population in the US identifies as Republican right? They're not as big as the Evangelical movement but their presence in the Republican Party is still significant.

There's a very slight Democratic bias, but like you said Catholics are a lot less Republican than white Protestants:

PF_14.11.05_faithfulVotes-01.png

If the Pope keeps talking about climate change and helping the poor and such, Rush Limbaugh's going to convert to Islam.

Limbaugh isn't Catholic

If only you guys could see the crazy stuff in Philly. The preparations for his visit are so intense. The extent they are going to for security is basically so over the top it makes me feel a tiny bit in the back of my mind like they know about a planned attack. It's like bizarro land here.

linkboy

I wish someone would put a muzzle on Limbaugh, but he'd probably enjoy it.

You have no idea how much I hate that buffoon.

Oblivion

I like how climate change is a "political position." Evolution is a "political position" too, I suppose.

Anything is political if you want it to be. If you infuse meaning in inflatable rubber duckies and consider them important and an article of faith, then of course anyone who suggests that rubber duckies are simply pieces of rubber will be taking a "political position."

It's only political because you have politicized it. There is nothing inherently political about rubber duckies, about evolution, or about climate change. Rubber duckies exist and are me of rubber, evolution happens and we are a product of it, and climate change is occurring. Facts should not be political positions; they are simply observations of reality.

Also, these same people say things like abortion and gay marriage aren't political.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Is there a reason why there's hatred from some Conservatives towards the Pope? I seen some comments from some of them on sites and I'm surprised to be honest, since I assumed that Conservatives would like him due to him being a Christian.

I haven't been doing a lot of research on Pope Francis, other than him agreeing with scientists with regards to climate change.

Republicans tend to be the party of big business and greed, while using certain aspects of the bible to keep the poor voting for them. This pope is an important Christian figure and he is calling out everyone (although more applicable to Republicans than most) on being more charitable and helping the poor. This makes the Republicans lose a lot of footing on their moral rights that they claim to get from the bible.

Oblivion

You know, I never understood how this Pope stuff works exactly. There's that whole "infallibility" thing that people always talk about, and he's supposed to be the head of Christians all over the world. But is the Pope just a figurehead, or do people actually have to listen to what he commands?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You know, I never understood how this Pope stuff works exactly. There's that whole "infallibility" thing that people always talk about, and he's supposed to be the head of Christians all over the world. But is the Pope just a figurehead, or do people actually have to listen to what he commands?
It's difficult to reign over a diaspora of people that spreads all across the globe, but the idea is that the Pope is the spokesperson for God on Earth, so he technically has power over all Catholics.

Just Roman Catholics, not Christians all over the world.

Infallibility is just a doctrine and it has only been invoked twice in history. The pope is just a guy but an important guy.

Valhelm

contribute something

It's tricky. The Pope wasn't declared infallible until the 19th century, and is still only infallible when it comes to specific matters of faith.

Grym

head of Catholics not Christians. Other Christians sects have opposing views to the Catholic faith...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Best pope strikes again! I really like him as a human. I hope he does spark some change in Capitol Hill.

anti-catholic-school-cartoon-wikimediacommons.jpg

Reminds me of this heh:

latest

hohoXD123

Democrats could find themselves criticized for support of abortion and same-sex marriage, policies that conflict with the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
Really hope he doesn't, especially when many women can't have abortions without being made to feel like scum by idiots outside clinics and same-sex marriages can't go ahead without opposition and vitriol. It's views like these which prevents me from calling him a nice and likeable person in general, despite all these seemingly noble gestures.

Red Mage

Lashing, death penalty, etc for innocuous crimes that all people of America do but will be disproportionately targeted to minorities (blacks and Hispanics specifically). Yea I can see suicide rates increasing like crazy.

I'm still waiting to hear what this has to do with Christianity.

The pope isn't always infallible, only when he declares that he's going to make an infallible statement.

To get an idea of how rare this is, in the 2000+ years of the Catholic Church's existence, there have only ever been two infallible statements ever made. That Mary was born without sin and that Mary was assumed into heaven.

akira28

Republicans must hate this guy. Can't wait for him to address congress.

Obama pointed this out in a speech. He said that all the opposition from the Republicans pointed to more important things than the controversy of their being upset. I mean, the morale, religious party standing against a major religuous leader calling for more Christlike kindness and generosity? He's all but asking the American people to realize the hypocrisy of it all.

I'm still waiting to hear what this has to do with Christianity.

What major religion do you think was used to justify the inhumane treatment of people of this country exactly? It sure as hell wasn't Buddhism.

If America was a Christian theocracy from it's inception, it'd most definitely resemble many middle eastern countries, many of the strides we made would have been quite different if they were made at all. We wouldn't be where we are today as a country if it was a theocracy. Why you want to continue to drag out a truth is beyond me, I personally wasn't looking to get into some philosophical debate about a Christian theocracy versus a Muslim one. I simply made a statement that America would resemble many middle eastern countries in which religion is the law of the land.

Remember you responded to my post that wasn't addressing you, not the other way around. If you feel that America wouldn't be on the same path as said middle eastern countries, make an argument for it.

Protestants and evangelicals don't give a shit what the pope says. Fuck, hardline Catholics don't give a shit either. Supply side Jesus supports their world views better and they'll stick with it.

What major religion do you think was used to justify the inhumane treatment of people of this country exactly? It sure as hell wasn't Buddhism.

If America was a Christian theocracy from it's inception, it'd most definitely resemble many middle eastern countries, many of the strides we made would have been quite different if they were made at all. We wouldn't be where we are today as a country if it was a theocracy. Why you want to continue to drag out a truth is beyond me, I personally wasn't looking to get into some philosophical debate about a Christian theocracy versus a Muslim one. I simply made a statement that America would resemble many middle eastern countries in which religion is the law of the land.

Remember you responded to my post that wasn't addressing you, not the other way around. If you feel that America wouldn't be on the same path as said middle eastern countries, make an argument for it.

Pretty much. It's hilarious to hear the right say "our country was founded on Christian principles." Principles such as slavery, genocide and imperialism.

Obama pointed this out in a speech. He said that all the opposition from the Republicans pointed to more important things than the controversy of their being upset. I mean, the morale, religious party standing against a major religuous leader calling for more Christlike kindness and generosity? He's all but asking the American people to realize the hypocrisy of it all.

Must rile them right up, watching as a muslim throws that in their faces.

noshten

Pope Francis is about the first Pope in my life time that actually is trying to modernize the Catholic's Church's World View. For that he is a person I actually respect and I hope he continues to spread the message for a long time.

Red Mage

And Christianity was the religion used to argue against such practices. I'm not going to argue against giving any single person or group absolute power isn't going to tyranny and suffering. I am, however, going to argue that there is nothing in Christianity that is hostile to blacks, Hispanics, etc. If we can agree to this, I think that we are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom