• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popeyes, Bojangles, Churches Chicken, or KFC? Best Nationwide fast food fried chicken?

Best Fried Chicken focused fast food joint?

• Total voters
Now when people talk about FAST FOOD they usually bring up MCDONALDS, BURGERKING or others. However there are 4 Nationwide Fried chicken chains in the US (with some world wide branches in other countries), that are finger licking good. make you wanna smack ya momma right in the face, then speed down the highway trying to evade to cops at 3am. That's how good they are. Here is the list:

POPEYES
81e57866608848d23cbee95e8e79a827.jpg

KFC
3CTAUHA64C9A66A05CD2FEsx.jpg

BOJANGLES
43043355_309571183165645_2709079273653802212_n.jpg

CHURCHES CHICKEN
Churchs-Chicken-Secret-Menu-Hack.jpg

These 4 are the biggest fried chicken focused nationwide fast food giants. But the ultimate question isn't which has the better logo, or which has the better customer service, but which one has the BETTER TASTE? THE BEST OF QUALITY?

(Warning: if I made people hungry by incident through this thread, please step away from your computer and grab some fried chicken or else you may get LOL CRAZY(tm) disease from lack of fried chicken, symptoms may include banging head on table, random shaking, wanting to jump out of a window, and blue waffle. Ok, I should be covered legally now ;))

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Smithfields > Popeyes = Bojangles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KFC

Never had Churches

Raising Cane’s

Little slice of heaven right here

chicken.jpg

The Box Combo
No Slaw, Extra Toast
Extra Sauce
Arnold Palmer

You’re Welcome

Last edited:

kunonabi

Usually i would say popeye's but the quality has dropped like crazy since BK bought them so I'd say Chicken Express.

I don't think we have Bojangles in FL; I've never heard of it. I can speak for the other three, though.

I'd only had KFC (rarely) for most of my life because my family defaulted to it for fast food fried chicken. When I had Popeye's and Church's for the first time, I realized how gross KFC's chicken is. I don't remember the difference between the two, but they're both leagues ahead of KFC.

I'd like to add Zaxby's to the list. It's a bible belt chicken joint that I found out about a few years ago. Their chicken is alright, but their SAUCE. Oh man.

CDiggity

If we are talking about places to get a big pile of fried chicken, can't go wrong with Popeye's.

Honorable mention to Chick-fil-A because damn those sandwiches.

Of the four listed, Bojangles is my pick for the best, but the others aside from KFC are fine. KFC is garbage.

Smithfields > Popeyes = Bojangles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KFC

Never had Churches

Smithfields is probably as good as Bojangles to me. Crunchier breading to get a nibble of, but blander. Not really any sides I can eat there though. I usually get green beans at Bojangles as a keto friendly side.

Gander

Banned
Pieces of Chicken - Popeyes

Tenders/Nuggets - Chic-fil-A

Biscuits - Popeyes

Props for knowing about Bojangles though.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Popeye's spicy chicken is fucking delicious. Never had Bojangles and Church's is in the bad part of town where they use bulletproof glass in the place so I never went there lmao. KFC is fucking dogshit. Absolute garbage.
And shouts out to Brown's even though I've never been there for obvious reasons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown's_Chicken_massacre

Last edited:
I don't think we have Bojangles in FL; I've never heard of it. I can speak for the other three, though.
According to Bojangles' website, there are 10 locations in Florida. Seems to be north Florida only.

I'd like to add Zaxby's to the list. It's a bible belt chicken joint that I found out about a few years ago. Their chicken is alright, but their SAUCE. Oh man.
I love Zaxby's. My city has several of them, which we've classified thusly: Leaky Zaxby's, Crappy Zaxby's, Barely Adequate Zaxby's, Good Zaxby's, That Zaxby's By Where We Used to Live, Zaxby's With the Stupid Parking Lot, I Keep Forgetting There's a Zaxby's There, and Zaxby's Prime. We'll eat at Zaxby's With the Stupid Parking Lot and That Zaxby's By Where We Used to Live, but only Good Zaxby's is worth going out of the way to eat at.

Last edited:

Codes 208

my vote goes to Popeyes. Like a spicier crispier KFC. Although I also enjoy bdubs every now and again. Never had churches’ and kfc ruined their potatoes and gravy sides by combining them. (I like to dip my chicken/biscuits in gravy thank you very much!) it also doesn’t help that kfc these days are super dirty and it’s like walking in a grease trap.

I’d like chic-fil-a more if it wasn’t for them being closed on the one day of the week I get to splurge.

Last edited:

Liberty4all

Banned
Is that the place known for extra juicy chicken? I think I saw Matt Stonie due a food challenge with their buckets. Looked good

Is massively popular Filipino chain that recently started expanding into North America. The Chicken is amazing and it comes with sides like white rice.

HoodWinked

ever since i saw raising cane's on trihex's stream years ago i've always wanted to try it, but they're no where near where i live.

not fast-food but i really like the cajun chicken littles at cheesecake factory.

Last edited:

Corrik

Bojangles is by far the best, but unfortunately most people will not have tried it due to how many locations it has

I got stuck overnight in Hartsfield–Jackson due to a delay. First time I ate Bojangles and I ended up eating it 2 more times before I got a flight out. It certainly left an impression. Too bad I've never again been in an area that had it. Of those listed I'd definitely go Bojangles > Popeye's > Church's > KFC. I honestly like KFC but it's so much pricier than Popeye's and Church's for much smaller portions.

Gander

Banned
I will say this and you're going to laugh but it's the truth. The 7-eleven wings can be damn good. So if you want cheap late night chicken it's 7-eleven or Royal Farms.

Weiji

Banned
Wingstop: Louisiana Rub

I hate KFC, the one nearest me is the worst fried chicken place I’ve ever been to (though I’ve been to better ones)

Church’s Chicken is ok. Popeyes was a disappointment the one time I’ve ever been, maybe I ordered wrong?

Also can’t really mention chicken without Chick Fil A. I wish there was one close to where I live.

I'm not sure why KFC is getting so much hate, it's not the best but it's not bad, maybe it's dependant on the specific restaurant? I have a nice one local to me anyway.

But beyond that Zaxby's is great and though it's wrapped up in this controversy, Chik-Fil-A has the greatest chicken nuggets ever.

maybe it's dependant on the specific restaurant?

I think this is definitely true about every fast food place. It’s not just location specific but shift specific. I tend to notice more terrible fast food experinces at night when the high school kids are working. Typically the old-timers who care about service work mornings.

Also, yeah the KFC near me is a Taco Bell/KFC and it’s awful. The soda always tastes sour and they mess up the order 8 out of 10 times. Everything tastes old and stale. It has a reputation, just me.

That being said, I’d take Popeyes over KFC everytime

120v

popeye's imo has the best recipe but i don't think a lot of the restaurants prepare and cook it right. sometimes it's godly, sometimes it tastes like a tv dinner

I really dislike Popeyes. I find their food has no identity or taste to it. Also the biscuit is probably the worst I have had.

I still go KFC.

Never been able to understand the love of Chik-fil-a. Drive thru going around the block, long lines inside, seats packed with people - place is packed every time I’ve been. The food is okay, but nothing I’d wait through a 14 car drive thru to get.

Also, yeah the KFC near me is a Taco Bell/KFC and it’s awful. The soda always tastes sour and they mess up the order 8 out of 10 times. Everything tastes old and stale.
I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a correct order at Taco Bell. It is so bad that we know how they screwed up before we even get the food. “You added onions to the bean burrito with no onions, we’re missing a tostada, and that burning smell is because you left my kid’s cheese roll up in the oven again”. Added a KFC to the mix is the nightmare scenario.

Grinchy

Banned
I've never seen a Bojangles before, but like a decade ago, there was a Church's chicken near where I lived. I thought it was so damn good at the time. Loved those greasy, sweet biscuits. I don't know if I'd still choose them if I were to eat it now, but based on nostalgic memory, I'll give it to them.

Bojangles is good for the chicken biscuits. Haven't tried just their straight up fried chicken yet.
Due to this thread being a bad influence on my diet, I went to Bojangles last night and had the fried chicken. It was good, but it didn't blow me away (somewhat similar to Popeye's actually). I think the biscuits are really where it is at.

I'm not sure why KFC is getting so much hate, it's not the best but it's not bad, maybe it's dependant on the specific restaurant? I have a nice one local to me anyway.

But beyond that Zaxby's is great and though it's wrapped up in this controversy, Chik-Fil-A has the greatest chicken nuggets ever.

Well for one, KFC introducing Grilled Chicken is basically equal to Treason, add the fact their non-bone chicken items taste like TV dinners and their actually Bone-in Fried Chicken is varying quality even in the same BUCKET it does subtract a lot of points.

cryptoadam

Banned
Y'all are lucky all we got here is KFC. would love to try Popeyes or Bojangles.

So KFC is only good if you eat it like once a year and drown everything in the gravy.

Y'all are lucky all we got here is KFC. would love to try Popeyes or Bojangles.

So KFC is only good if you eat it like once a year and drown everything in the gravy.

I mean sometimes when I get to KFC one piece is juicy and steaming hot and next piece will be a completely different color, like it will legit look a week old. It’s hard to explain. Same with the Famous Bowls. Sometimes it’s amazing and the next the cheese isn’t even melted, everything is ice cold. That mostly sums up my KFC experience

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Raising Cane’s

Little slice of heaven right here

chicken.jpg

The Box Combo
No Slaw, Extra Toast
Extra Sauce
Arnold Palmer

You’re Welcome

I never thought about getting extra toast, instead of extra fries. Hmmm....

Liberty4all

Banned
The Galleria Food Court in general was an amazing experience of Americana Fast Food with multiple southern chains not in Canada or northern States.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Here's a chicken spoiler for you guys:

all fried chicken tastes pretty much the same

Top Bottom