• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
I just realized the biggest indication that Xtincta has reached critical irrelevance is Roy Toy having to spell out the name of the person in his avatar.

XvR9P.png

rsnRP.gif
rsnRP.gif
rsnRP.gif

I just realized the biggest indication that Xtincta has reached critical irrelevance is Roy Toy having to spell out the name of the person in his avatar.

XvR9P.png

rsnRP.gif
rsnRP.gif
rsnRP.gif
To be fair, I feel like she's more unrecognizable than usual in that get up. Why is she cosplaying as Sephiroth??
If Sephiroth were from the Jersey Shore...

Kyon

Banned
Ew @ dusty has been Stans STAINING people of TODAY. The nerve. All of your faves are either DEAD or have DEAD careers. Ain't nobody got time for that.

#Neaux1Curr

ibrKvSWdvMUdTb.gif

Except Mariah, Whitney, Janet and Madge bless... WELP guess this doesn't apply to Mumu

royalan

This is a fair enough list. I think you could probably also list a few others (e.g. Carrie and Jordin are both good enough for "good," for instance, and there are probably others I am not thinking of offhand). This list is just sad compared to a list of singers who were active from, say, the 1980s to mid-1990s, however. For instance, Whitney Houston, Freddie Mercury, Steve Perry, Patti Labelle, Mariah Carey, Karen Carpenter, Teena Marie, John Farnham, Lara Fabian, Toni Braxton, Roy Khan, Anastacia, Annie Lennox, George Michael, Luther Vandross, and Lisa Fischer? And that isn't even counting singers who were by the standards of their day merely proficient, such as Selena, who would be billed as one of the best vocalists around.

If you don't think that standards for singing and musical intelligence have significantly degraded, you either aren't paying attention or you don't know singing.

I don't think the standards have degraded overall, but DEFINITELY in Pop. I can think of several other genres that are still overflowing with genuine talent, but Pop has become more of a popularity contest these days than ever before. Talent is literally no longer a factor when it comes to making a well-received Pop record.

Just look at One Dimension. Not a single capable singer amongst the lot of them. But hey, their personalities are great (if you're into that perpetual puppy syndrome thing...)

Mumei

I suppose.

However, good music never has been dependent exclusively on vocal ability. With all the production that goes into music now its no wonder that a voice is optional. However, I still maintain that as long as I enjoy the music I don't really care all that much.

It doesn't depend exclusively on it, and I enjoy my fair share of talentless or ungrateful-for-the-talents-they-have singers, but good singing is why I listen to singing!

How can you put such an iconic man on your list, yet never play his music in the dj room.

AO0yP.gif

I have played his music before; you just weren't there for it.

royalan

XvR9P.png

rsnRP.gif
rsnRP.gif
rsnRP.gif

To be fair, I feel like she's more unrecognizable than usual in that get up. Why is she cosplaying as Sephiroth??
If Sephiroth was from the Jersey Shore...

I only put her name because something about her pose and dress in this pic was giving me Storm of the X-Men teas...

rsnRP.gif
rsnRP.gif
rsnRP.gif

It doesn't depend exclusively on it, and I enjoy my fair share of talentless or ungrateful-for-the-talents-they-have singers, but good singing is why I listen to singing!

I can't pretend its not important to me as well. Most of my fav's are good singers....and its part of why I have stuck by Kelly.....but at the end of the day its about the music for me and I don't think amazing vocals are always needed for amazing music. Florence Welch for example......goddess but has very strange vibrato live that annoys me...doesn't change the quality of her music.

I don't get upset about vocals unless they are so bad that they cannot perform live passably...at all.

You're joking in crossing off Kelly but leaving Beyonce, right? Because in terms of vocals, that's laughable. Physical performance? Beyonce runs circles around anyone nowadays. But...yeah, no. Sorry.

No girl. No no no no no no no no no. I can't even believe someone typed that. My exposure to Kelly Clarkson is limited to whats played in the DJ Room. And I'll admit, that when someone plays the latest pop song Kelly Clarkson has covered on tour of high school gyms, that it does sound good, in comparison to the original. But when a Kelly song is played, and it's not accompanied by an obese dog, it's totally forgettable. Beyonce on the other hand, she has no peer when it comes to LIVE vocals. Now, you may not like what she's singing, or how she's singing it, but make no mistake, her contemporaries have NOTHING to offer in comparison.

Mumei

I don't think the standards have degraded overall, but DEFINITELY in Pop. I can think of several other genres that are still overflowing with genuine talent, but Pop has become more of a popularity contest these days than ever before. Talent is literally no longer a factor when it comes to making a well-received Pop record.

Just look at One Dimension. Not a single capable singer amongst the lot of them. But hey, their personalities are great (if you're into that perpetual puppy syndrome thing...)

Well, I was talking about popular music generally; how many of these singers that you are thinking of actually got their careers started after the year 1997 and at least half the people in this topic will not respond with "Hew?" when you name them?

I can't pretend its not important to me as well. Most of my fav's are good singers....and its part of why I have stuck by Kelly.....but at the end of the day its about the music for me and I don't think amazing vocals are always needed for amazing music. Florence Welch for example......goddess but has very strange vibrato live that annoys me...doesn't change the quality of her music.

And I suppose I should just assume that your love for One Direction is explained by your desire to have a pet twink?

No girl. No no no no no no no no no. I can't even believe someone typed that. My exposure to Kelly Clarkson is limited to whats played in the DJ Room. And I'll admit, that when someone plays the latest pop song Kelly Clarkson has covered on tour of high school gyms, that it does sound good, in comparison to the original. But when a Kelly song is played, and it's not accompanied by an obese dog, it's totally forgettable. Beyonce on the other hand, she has no peer when it comes to LIVE vocals. Now, you may not like what she's singing, or how she's singing it, but make no mistake, her contemporaries have NOTHING to offer in comparison.
Time to talk to your doctor about Namenda
ibciSNYMfZ5nnF.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I do like good vocals but there are other things I also look around. I look some artists for entertainment value ,some for actual singing and the full package (This ones are pretty lacking these days). I do agree that most of the old school singers are way better than what we have now, but I simply enjoy things as they are and not get overly critical if not I would probably be again not listening music until something good came. It's not necessarily lowering standards but adapting to the times and finding things that work for the tastes. For example I might love Lana but I know her range its pretty weak but she does things that work for her style (IMO) obviously performing can be a hit or miss since sometimes she just misses the marks by going either higher than its supposed to be or extremely lower.

I would be listening the same old music if I were still judging music like I used to do before which people were annoyed for the "elitism" I had. I just now try to enjoy things for different reasons than just vocal ability. Something I wish artist these days to do better is the portrayal of emotions, these are pretty much gone with the music of today and I surely miss hearing things like Nina Simone for example where you could feel her pain on her voice or Whitney who also managed to show feelings through her songs. Some of today artist do have the voices but they try overdoing it with some "acrobatics" and mess up (Christina to mention someone) and sometimes some trying to do the stay relevant game instead of focusing on what fits more to their voice.

Overall I do like good music but on times where most stuff lacks a soul and listening to the same old music isnt cutting it I just adapt and find enjoyment on things that might not be as good as things I usually like.

I know I might not make sense since its 2:33am but I think my point gets across.

botty

Banned
I really do. I never listened to music much as a kid.....just wasn't my thing.

Listening to just "fun" music is a guilty pleasure I enjoy a lot now.

Listening to any type of music shouldn't be a guilty pleasure. Unless it's from Keri Hilson... keep that to your self.

royalan

Well, I was talking about popular music generally; how many of these singers that you are thinking of actually got their careers started after the year 1997 and at least half the people in this topic will not respond with "Hew?" when you name them?

Point taken.

Mumei

Indeed.

Kelly Clarkson has some really great upper chest mixed belts. She mixes a lot, and she sometimes screams them, but when she gets them, it sounds fantastic. But. She does not have Beyonce's power in the midbelt; she does not have Beyonce's lower register - she doesn't have Leona Lewis's lower register, frankly; she does not have Beyonce's ability to cleanly hit largely unmixed F5s with the same resonance and vibrato; and she does not have Beyonce's flexibility.

Kelly does have a great voice, great tone, and her voice naturally fits with a lot of different genres, but she's not as good as Beyonce.

Well thats just.....uncalled for.

WaKAd.gif

I legit do like their music

I'll take that as a yes. ;)

I would be listening the same old music if I were still judging music like I used to do before which people were annoyed for the "elitism" I had. I just now try to enjoy things for different reasons than just vocal ability. Something I wish artist these days to do better is the portrayal of emotions, these are pretty much gone with the music of today and I surely miss hearing things like Nina Simone for example where you could feel her pain on her voice or Whitney who also managed to show feelings through her songs. Some of today artist do have the voices but they try overdoing it with some "acrobatics" and mess up (Christina to mention someone) and sometimes some trying to do the stay relevant game instead of focusing on what fits more to their voice.

I.... agree!

Kyon

Banned
How can you drag someone who only stans for extremely successful amazing singers?

Teach me!

You talking about Mumu?.....

WELP ...

Hmmm.. Well just say what a flop Triumphant is and that's all you need tbh :p

jk just say their careers are over or something. Be EXTRA ratchet about it too

You talking about Mumu?.....

WELP ...

Hmmm.. Well just say what a flop Triumphant is and that's all you need tbh :p

Or I can just pretend Mumei doesn't exist and hope he gets bored and disappears again for a few months. That sounds like a nice, safe, plan.

tOTTA.gif

Its a go.

royalan

Indeed.

Kelly Clarkson has some really great upper chest mixed belts. She mixes a lot, and she sometimes screams them, but when she gets them, it sounds fantastic. But. She does not have Beyonce's power in the midbelt; she does not have Beyonce's lower register - she doesn't have Leona Lewis's lower register, frankly; she does not have Beyonce's ability to cleanly hit largely unmixed F5s with the same resonance and vibrato; and she does not have Beyonce's flexibility.

Kelly does have a great voice, great tone, and her voice naturally fits with a lot of different genres, but she's not as good as Beyonce.

I disagree with only the bolded. Where are these recent F5s of which you speak? ;)

If there's one thing I can't take away from Kelly, it's how well she's maintained her voice. Here she is a decade into her career and she still has access to pretty much all of the range she displayed in her Idol days. All she really needs to do is flesh it out. Luckily, she's at the age where a lot of singers start to do just that.

Kyon

Banned
Or I can just pretend Mumei doesn't exist and hope he gets bored and disappears again for a few months. That sounds like a nice, safe, plan.

tOTTA.gif

Sounds like a plan to me.

Damn you didn't see my edit. Anyways basically what everyone does here anyway. Proceed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom