• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoPoLoCrois (PSP) - RPG Land review

Amir0x

Banned
what is RPGland

and PoPoLoCrois is cel-shaded? What? And "complement"? And 7.5? And poorly written. And site sucks

Bebpo

Banned
Well the port completely sucks ass on a visual and controls level (plus they cut out a ton of material from each game), but considering unless you read Japanese the PSP version will be the only way to check out the wonderful Popolocrois world...it might be an ok buy.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
Well the port completely sucks ass on a visual and controls level (plus they cut out a ton of material from each game), but considering unless you read Japanese the PSP version will be the only way to check out the wonderful Popolocrois world...it might be an ok buy.

why must we get a gimped PoPoLoCrois :(

Game is gonna sell crap on PSP in US and we'll never see another PoPoLoCrois game again

Bebpo

Banned
Seriously I couldn't play more than a couple of hours becase it was painful on the eyes with all the crazy ghosting and the controls never moved where I wanted them to which was really annoying :\

Its too bad, because it's much nicer to look at the PS1 games since the PS1 versions were low-res and this is sharp high-res. So you have the ugly games that actually play well and have more content, or the good looking game that is near unplayable.

It's a real shame :(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
B000809NXW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

love that box art.

Koren

Amir0x said:
I still don't get it. How is it cel-shaded? Isn't it supposed to make something appear hand-drawn? But sprites are already hand-drawn, right?
Cell shading refers usually to a non-realistic method to deal with illumination of objects in a 3D scene. More exactly, using a limited (2 or 3) number of tones instead of a linear variation of the color. I don't even understand how 2D could be "cell-shaded" or not, in fact.

So what's the verdict?

Popolocrois, Legend of Heroes, or Tales of Eternia?

I have a feeling I won't like Popolocrois based on the impressions and few reviews I have read. Legend of Heroes looks nice but I don't know anything beyond that, so it's still up in the air. I figure if Legend of Heroes is shit, I'll spend the extra dough to import Tales.

Bebpo

Banned
theREBELins said:
So what's the verdict?

I have a feeling I won't like Popolocrois based on the impressions and few reviews I have read. Legend of Heroes looks nice but I don't know anything beyond that, so it's still up in the air. I figure if Legend of Heroes is shit, I'll spend the extra dough to import Tales.

If you haven't played the PS1 Eternia, Tales of Eternia is the best game on the system besides Lumines/GTA. ToE port is amazing and the game is great as well. Very much worth importing the Euro version when released.

Tabs

I've been playing the US version of PoPoLoCrois the past week. I don't know how you would call this cell shaded. It's hand drawn, and looks pretty nice on the PSP. The animation and everything is great. There is a terrible ghosting problem when you're running around, the control is pretty sloppy (hard to do in an RPG). It's a tad on the easy side, but overall it's a nice little RPG on the go (or while watching football). Maybe my standards are low because I want an RPG on the PSP so bad.

Link1110

I've been playing the US version of PoPoLoCrois the past week.

Is it even out yet? EB says 12/6, while Gamestop says "Backordered," with no used copies within 200 miles of me (Which is highly unlikely because I can usually find even the rarest of games in one gamestop within that distance,) and there's no copies on EBay.

I haven't played Legend of Heroes, nor do I know too much about Popolocrois, but Tales of Eternia is currently the best game on the system that I know of, (At least until Tengai Makyou: The Apocalypse 4 comes and wipes the floor with everything else for the system) and is well worth getting if you've never played the ps1 version.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
probably a review copy. it's been reviewed in EGM already (last month's issue). got bad scores too i think

May16

Wario64 said:
probably a review copy. it's been reviewed in EGM already (last month's issue). got bad scores too i think
What did EGM give it? Any particular comments you remember in addition to scores (cause I find those equally important)?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
remember looking at this in japan and dcharlie telling me to stay far far far away from it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Link1110 said:
Is it even out yet? EB says 12/6, while Gamestop says "Backordered," with no used copies within 200 miles of me (Which is highly unlikely because I can usually find even the rarest of games in one gamestop within that distance,) and there's no copies on EBay.

I haven't played Legend of Heroes, nor do I know too much about Popolocrois, but Tales of Eternia is currently the best game on the system that I know of, (At least until Tengai Makyou: The Apocalypse 4 comes and wipes the floor with everything else for the system) and is well worth getting if you've never played the ps1 version.

I saw a copy of Popolocrois at a gamestop in Hauppauge and I believe at several in the Smith Haven Mall yesterday, and I know for a fact that's a lot closer than 200 miles from you!

Scott

Belfast said:
Wouldn't Legend of Heroes and Kingdom of Paradise be the first Japanese-style RPGs on the PSP in the US? What are these people smoking?
Well, in their defense, PoPoLoCrois was originally set to release before either of those games. :p

But you're right, it's no longer the first, thanks to Agetec being a delay-a-holic. Instead, "The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion" gets that honor now.

Link1110

I saw a copy of Popolocrois at a gamestop in Hauppauge and I believe at several in the Smith Haven Mall yesterday, and I know for a fact that's a lot closer than 200 miles from you!

Yeah, I saw, and bought, it yesterday at an independant game store near me. It's fun, but what game exactly is it a remake of. I'm stuck an read the FAQ for Popolocrois Monogatari 1, and it's a totally different game.

May16

Belfast said:
Wouldn't Legend of Heroes and Kingdom of Paradise be the first Japanese-style RPGs on the PSP in the US? What are these people smoking?
This review was written when the release date was still "October."

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
theREBELins said:
So what's the verdict?

I haven't played Popolocrois or ToE yet and I can tell you ToE.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Link1110 said:
Yeah, I saw, and bought, it yesterday at an independant game store near me. It's fun, but what game exactly is it a remake of. I'm stuck an read the FAQ for Popolocrois Monogatari 1, and it's a totally different game.

One and two, with stuff not found in both to tie the stories together, I think.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Is ToE ever coming out here in the US? Once upon a time, I thought Shining Soul GBA was going to be a Euro only release, and of course, 2 months after I imported, Atlus announced a slightly improved US version. Blech.

Top Bottom